• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Miner Pride

1A State Championship Game 13-1 Pioneer vs 14-0 N.Vermillion

No offense, but after watching that video about NV I can't help but think Pioneer will have a significant coaching advantage.

So the man likes to be barefoot. Does he need shoes to call offense efficiently and to run a high quality program on and off the field?

Oh, and let's not forget his staff - 3 state finalist rings, 2 previous head coaches that willingly took assistant jobs, college football experience, a Hall of Fame ring, and a defensive coordinator whose unit hasn't yielded a second half point against 3 straight juggernauts in the tourney - giving up 8 ppg all year.

I guess we're lucky the other 5 guys do not like to go barefoot. Although, I swear I see them on the practice field (right off the highway) in flip flops occasionally. Shoot! You're right, we are doomed.

• Upvote 3

No offense, but after watching that video about NV I can't help but think Pioneer will have a significant coaching advantage.

Typical statement from someone living in Carmel

• Upvote 3

Folks, relax.

Does anyone really care what a guy from Carmel has to say? Would any of you want to live around, and have to interact with folks like Walter on a daily basis? I appreciate Walter's comment. It should remind us all how lucky we are to live in a small town / rural area where people tend to not take themselves too seriously, and they judge others based on their performance and character, not on an arrogant, preconceived notion of how they should look.

Thanks for the perspective Walter and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Edited by Woody Hayes

Walter, you of all people should know that you can't judge coaching on the exterior. When you played for Ditka, I know he did some unorthodoxed things, but all you players seemed to love him! I can't help but think that the NV players feel the same way about their coach. Maybe Coach Crabtree doesn't do things the way everyone else does them, but it has gotten them this far, so it can't be that bad. Seems like Ol' Walter is still bitter Ditka gave the ball on the goal line in the Super Bowl to the Fridge instead of Sweetness!

Walter, you of all people should know that you can't judge coaching on the exterior. When you played for Ditka, I know he did some unorthodoxed things, but all you players seemed to love him! I can't help but think that the NV players feel the same way about their coach. Maybe Coach Crabtree doesn't do things the way everyone else does them, but it has gotten them this far, so it can't be that bad. Seems like Ol' Walter is still bitter Ditka gave the ball on the goal line in the Super Bowl to the Fridge instead of Sweetness!

who wins? rick mears or a mini bus driven by mike johnson in the indy 500?

The guy who's username is a coach that punched a college kid...

Sorry fella, but Woody was awesome. Say what you want about the jack-wagon from North Vermillion, but leave Coach Hayes out of it, or I'll sick Jack Tatum's ghost on you! You want no piece of that nightmare!

Sorry fella, but Woody was awesome. Say what you want about the jack-wagon from North Vermillion, but leave Coach Hayes out of it, or I'll sick Jack Tatum's ghost on you! You want no piece of that nightmare!

that jack wagon resembles john cooper

that jack wagon resembles john cooper

No, that jack wagon resembles someone who ate John Cooper. Seriously, what video were you watching??

Well, this has certainly been some of the most stimulating conversation about the 1-A state championship game that I've read for a few years. Truly top shelf material lol

Edited by Woody Hayes

Well, since everyone stopped typing....how about this? Sagarin says Pioneer by 16, and Calpreps has Pioneer by a TD. Where does the line truly stand?

Looking forward to this game tomorrow.  I have had the opportunity to watch Pioneer and Cass play for the last several years.  While both teams Generally get better throughout the season I really thought Cass was going to be about 5-5 and Pioneer was going to win a bunch of games.   My biggest takeaway from that game was that the Pioneer line especially the Dline was outstanding.  What really sets this team apart from any of the most recent I have seen is the QB play.  When you have a QB with the abilities of Kiser it opens up the playbook and you can really stretch opposing Defenses Horizontally but Vertically as well.   Coach Johnson is one of the best in the business and he has been doing nothing but reducing variation in his process for the last 14 games.  I am sure NV will be well coached and well prepared but I'll have to take Pioneer in this one.

Well, since everyone stopped typing....how about this? Sagarin says Pioneer by 16, and Calpreps has Pioneer by a TD. Where does the line truly stand?

Oh woody, I'll tell you but you have to promise to cover it for me. Keep the pedal down. Redbones has the Falcons -9.5. Uptown Tavern isnt giving the hook, NV -10

Looking forward to this game tomorrow.  I have had the opportunity to watch Pioneer and Cass play for the last several years.  While both teams Generally get better throughout the season I really thought Cass was going to be about 5-5 and Pioneer was going to win a bunch of games.   My biggest takeaway from that game was that the Pioneer line especially the Dline was outstanding.  What really sets this team apart from any of the most recent I have seen is the QB play.  When you have a QB with the abilities of Kiser it opens up the playbook and you can really stretch opposing Defenses Horizontally but Vertically as well.   Coach Johnson is one of the best in the business and he has been doing nothing but reducing variation in his process for the last 14 games.  I am sure NV will be well coached and well prepared but I'll have to take Pioneer in this one.

One thing is for sure, Coach Johnson is a legend in small school football in Indiana. He built the program at Pioneer, and he built it with class. As far as I'm concerned, the true measure of a hall of fame coach isn't only based on how successful his program's win-loss record is, but also HOW his program won those games along the way. I'm guessing North Vermillion is looking forward to competing with a program like Pioneer for the state championship on Saturday, not only because of their skill, but also because of how they play the game.

Oh woody, I'll tell you but you have to promise to cover it for me. Keep the pedal down. Redbones has the Falcons -9.5. Uptown Tavern isnt giving the hook, NV -10

LOL.......JC, take those lines for what they are. Redbones....we all know that no one in Daviess County understands football south of Raglesville down to the Washington town lines. Uptown Tavern....they are intentionally throwing a jinx at NV because the Falcons coach used to be at North Central. Since NESC closed Union, their anger and retribution knows no bounds. The jinx on a former Thunderbird outweighs any money lost on the game. ;)

Pioneer has always seemed to put together strong defensive lines. Mason is an animal this year. Whether it's technique or just being a good athlete Some of Pioneer's best teams have had a solid front four. By the way Andy G I did forget about Anita Allen. She was a good athlete and an Olympian. As for the gymnast. I hear she's very very strong.

what year was the best defense pioneer has had?

I haven't seen them every year. But the 2005 Pioneer defense was pretty good. They had a real beast of a pass rusher who played DE or OLB on the defensive left side. Believe he went on to play in the North-South game. Don't remember his name, or if he went on to play at the next level.

Wasn't that Nate Denton? Not sure. I'm curious how some of the teams from 09-12 would look statistically if the LCC games were omitted. Those scores skewed some otherwise pretty good defenses.

I haven't seen them every year. But the 2005 Pioneer defense was pretty good. They had a real beast of a pass rusher who played DE or OLB on the defensive left side. Believe he went on to play in the North-South game. Don't remember his name, or if he went on to play at the next level.

Matt gates. He Played college ball. But can't recall where.

LOL.......JC, take those lines for what they are. Redbones....we all know that no one in Daviess County understands football south of Raglesville down to the Washington town lines. Uptown Tavern....they are intentionally throwing a jinx at NV because the Falcons coach used to be at North Central. Since NESC closed Union, their anger and retribution knows no bounds. The jinx on a former Thunderbird outweighs any money lost on the game. ;)

hey now coach Hayes, lets keep this on topic and leave the mud-slinging to politics. As you can tell by my user name, I am from Dugger. I can't speak for all people from Dugger, but I am rooting for NV and coach Crabtree. I think he is a great coach and a class act!!!

Pioneer's 2009 team has many of the defensive school records. But it's hard to compare one to another for all the reasons we all know. This year's front 4 is special in their own right. Length and quickness, yet still stout. They have consistently improved each week of the season. Sure they are good athletes, but what sets them apart from other 1A DL is the coaching. Coach Johnson drills the technique over and over til it becomes instinct and habit. I can tell you from experience that a Pioneer DL can move to the college level and, from a technical aspect, is well ahead of the curve.

• Upvote 1