Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

East Noble

I think Amstutz is in the top five percentile as a head football coach. Hate to see him go, but I get the decision. Those are gritty kids up there in Kendallville. Hopefully their football tradition is maintained. Good luck to the next coach.

• Like 1

Was there any thought of Coach Amstutz staying on as head football coach as well as taking the A.D. position? 

I know there are a few schools here in Northern Indiana that do that. For years Bill Sharpe was both A.D. and head coach at Jimtown.

I think at Goshen the current A.D. is also the head wrestling coach.

Coach Amstutz is one of the best underrated coaches in the state. Made me always feel like I was unprepared and was an idiot. 😀  He is a TREMONDOUS coach, very big shoes to fill. One of the BEST I have ever been around.

• Like 5

On 2/28/2024 at 7:03 AM, Coach Lou said:

Was there any thought of Coach Amstutz staying on as head football coach as well as taking the A.D. position? 

I know there are a few schools here in Northern Indiana that do that. For years Bill Sharpe was both A.D. and head coach at Jimtown.

I think at Goshen the current A.D. is also the head wrestling coach.

I think Coach Sharpe had a great support staff.  He didn't have to do a lot of AD work in season.  I think anyone who is a head coach and AD will have their moves under the microscope now a days.  Putting your coaching ahead of a soccer game is a bigger deal now than it used to be.  Having seen us play East Noble, they were always well coached and the kids played hard.  Congrats to him.

21 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

I think Coach Sharpe had a great support staff.  He didn't have to do a lot of AD work in season.  I think anyone who is a head coach and AD will have their moves under the microscope now a days.  Putting your coaching ahead of a soccer game is a bigger deal now than it used to be.  Having seen us play East Noble, they were always well coached and the kids played hard.  Congrats to him.

Great point about in season. Not sure how many people are on the athletic department staff at EN. A number of schools have also added assistant principal responsibilities to the AD job description. Another similar issue to the one you mentioned could come in any number of decisions that need to be made for other sports, any time a decision is made about football that could give the perception of favoritism is one more headache for a Coach/AD to have to deal with. 

On varsity football game nights, other admins will have to pick up some of the responsibilities of stadium management because the AD has coaching duties.  

19 hours ago, Irishman said:

Great point about in season. Not sure how many people are on the athletic department staff at EN. A number of schools have also added assistant principal responsibilities to the AD job description. Another similar issue to the one you mentioned could come in any number of decisions that need to be made for other sports, any time a decision is made about football that could give the perception of favoritism is one more headache for a Coach/AD to have to deal with. 

On varsity football game nights, other admins will have to pick up some of the responsibilities of stadium management because the AD has coaching duties.  

East Noble has an Assistant AD--Brandon Durnell, the varsity basketball coach. They also have an athletic secretary.

They probably could have allowed Amstutz to continue to serve in both roles if that was desired at the corporation level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

at Monrovia, we have Event Coordinators, our Head Football Coach, Head Boys Basketball Coach, Head Wrestling Coach, Asst Principal are all able to run events along with the AD, they split them all up,  

• Like 1