Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Democrat's roster for a Trump - beater in 2020

swordfish

1 minute ago, swordfish said:

I agree - BUT that's the story now (kinda the point of my post) - AGAIN - not sarcastic - just making a point (The corner he got painted into - read the entire post)

I read the entire post. I'm not sure he's been painted into that corner. Unless it's just by being honest and talking about being gay. If he had not have talked about it, he would have faced criticism for that also.

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

I read the entire post. I'm not sure he's been painted into that corner. Unless it's just by being honest and talking about being gay. If he had not have talked about it, he would have faced criticism for that also.

You may be right - I thought I was wrong once - Turns out I was mistaken......🤣

Acknowledging his sexual orientation is one thing and YES - it was a necessity for him to do that - but then the victim-hood line of the story relative to Pence is another (especially when it is not true).

30 minutes ago, swordfish said:

You may be right - I thought I was wrong once - Turns out I was mistaken......🤣

Acknowledging his sexual orientation is one thing and YES - it was a necessity for him to do that - but then the victim-hood line of the story relative to Pence is another (especially when it is not true).

I don't know, I haven't paid too much attention to what he's saying about Pence, nor what Pence has said about him. Pence is not currently his opponent directly, nor do I expect him to be anything other than a Vice-Presidential candidate. But I would agree that he should concentrate on the real issues and not get sidetracked too deeply on the LGBTQ subject. I'm not giving much attention to any of the multitude of candidates the Democrats are trotting out. If the D's continue on the path they're on right now, I think they're doing everything they can to lose the 2020 election. 

Edited by gonzoron
  • Thanks 2

Joe Biden Officially Enters the Presidential Race: https://reason.com/2019/04/25/joe-biden-officially-enters-the-presidential-race/

Joe Biden officially announced his presidential bid this morning, promising that he could save the country from Donald Trump and the forces of white supremacy.

"We are in a battle for the soul of this nation," the former vice president says in a video released today, which focuses heavily on 2017's deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

"If we give Donald Trump eight years in the White House, he will forever and fundamentally alter the character of this nation. Who we are. I cannot stand by and watch that happen," says Biden.

Biden's entry into the already crowded Democratic primary field is hardly a surprise. Now that he's in, the former vice president has a lot of things going for him. First and foremost are his poll numbers. Biden consistently leads the pack nationally, and he's doing very well in the early-voting states of New Hampshire and Iowa.

The latest University of New Hampshire poll has Biden as the second most preferred Democratic candidate in that state, garnering support from 18 percent of likely Democratic primary voters. That places him second only to progressive darling Bernie Sanders of neighboring Vermont (who sits at 30 percent). And Biden is cleaning up in Iowa, where the latest Monmouth University poll shows him winning support of 27 percent of likely caucusgoers. Sanders is pulling 16 percent in Iowa, while South Bend Mayor Peter Buttigieg is trailing in third place, with 9 percent.

That said, we're a long way off from any actual voting. As Reason's resident poll expert, Stephanie Slade, likes to remind people, polls at this stage are hardly predictive.

Indeed, that aforementioned University of New Hampshire poll found that only 9 percent of respondents had "definitely decided" on a candidate, while another 14 percent were only "leaning toward someone." A full 77 percent were "still trying to decide."

In short, a lot can happen between now and the Democratic National Convention in July 2020.

The New York Times notes that Biden is entering the race with little money and no ready base of small dollar donors.

Then there's his record. Biden has taken any number of stances that are anathema to today's more progressive Democratic Party.

The former vice president is the only candidate in the race to have voted in favor of the Iraq war. When he was a senator from Delaware, Biden supported most every tough-on-crime policy you can imagine, from mandatory minimums to civil asset forfeiture to an expanded death penalty. He was one of the chief architects of the 1994 crime bill that helped usher in an era of mass incarceration.

More recently, Biden has raised progressive eyebrows for praising the wealthy ("just as patriotic as poor folks") and current Vice President Mike Pence("a decent guy"). He's also been known to invade the personal space of women at public events.

He has so far declined to endorse several policies beloved by progressives, including Medicare for All and the Green New Deal. Such positions make Biden vulnerable to attack from other primary candidates running to his left.

That said, it's fair to ask how much his less-than-progressive record will matter to most primary voters. Another Times article from early April found a wide gulf between the majority of Democratic voters and the party's smaller progressive base. The former was much less active online—and much less concerned about the kind of social-justice issues that get a lot of attention on Twitter.

Biden's announcement video from earlier today shows one way he might try to split the difference between these two camps, focusing like a laser on Trump and white supremacists while declining to mention many policy specifics.

Should he win the nomination, Biden would pull his party back from the left, but not necessarily bring it much closer to supporting individual liberty. He has little interest in running on a platform of expanded, budget-busting entitlements, but—his recent criticism of occupational licensing notwithstanding—he is in no way a small-government guy. His legacy is almost uniformly one of expanding the power of the federal government, whether to prosecute the drug war or go after sexual assault on campus.

Check out his whole announcement video here:

6 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

In my opinion, Biden's heart isn't in this. He's 76 years old, he's been out of the game for a couple of years, he's a two time loser, he just doesn't strike me as a man who's invested in this. 

I think Bernie will be the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Waiting on Hillary.

5 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I hope not. This These would absolutely guarantee an "R" win

I think Biden has a shot at against Trump. I can easily see him playing the Jeb Bush part in this primary. Bush had a machine behind him, but I don't think he had the "want" to do it. 

I just don't think Mayor Pete has the national following, but in 1991 who'd ever heard of Bill Clinton? And going from a governor's mansion to the WH is one thing, but going from the mayor of a medium sized city in Indiana to the WH is a HUGE jump. I'm not sure any of the rest of them are serious candidates. 

I'll be honest, I wish this process were a little more compacted. This cycle literally started the day after the mid-terms. It grows tiresome, and I'm sure I'm not in the minority there. I think it will fun to watch, I just wish we didn't have to watch it for so long. 

IMHO - Biden is in to pull enough away from Bernie (who the dems DO NOT want to be the candidate) to take him out of the race perhaps.

Tucker Carlson discovered Mayor Pete and exposed the "Victimhood Olympics" going on in the Democrat Party.  

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I'll be honest, I wish this process were a little more compacted. This cycle literally started the day after the mid-terms. It grows tiresome, and I'm sure I'm not in the minority there

I agree. Bobby Kennedy announced less than 8 months before the election in 1968. Unfortunately, in less than 3 months he was dead.

Today it drags out far too long.

• Like 1

ergqj897ceu21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

So Bernie is advocating for a $100+ an hour minimum wage?   And the "free money" in the form of virtually unlimited federal students loans has been a big reason behind skyrocketing college costs in the first place.

• Disdain 1

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

ergqj897ceu21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

So Bernie is advocating for a $100+ an hour minimum wage?   And the "free money" in the form of virtually unlimited federal students loans has been a big reason behind skyrocketing college costs in the first place.

Bernie deleted an image?

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I give you crazy Uncle Joe's new political strategist:

This lady is a freaking IDIOT!

Talk about a racist.

New 2020 @CNN poll just out:

Biden 39%

Sanders 15%

Warren 8%

Buttigieg 7%

O’Rourke 6%

Harris 5%