Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2019

Irishman

16 minutes ago, BTF said:

The "fans" drive the university financially. Some of the largest donors didn't even attend the school they support. Take away the "fans", take away the sport. 

The University’s endowment is the 9th largest in the country, over $11 billion. I think they’ll be OK.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Not sure you even know what a "hot take" is. 

At the end of the day, Notre Dame still has 13 national championships (21 depending on the source). The last one was 32 years ago. Yeah, we get that. But the Irish were part of the playoff conversation 4 of the last 5 years. They play in front of a national audience every week. And they've played in front of a sellout crowd 269 consecutive times. They haven't been able to thump their chests and claim #1 since 1993, but they are still relevant. It drives the haters nuts. I love it!

Go Irish!

I was simply referring to your statement about Herbstreit stating they could “run with anybody in the county” and then they got run “out of” the stadium against a fringe top 20 team last night, lol.

27 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I was simply referring to your statement about Herbstreit stating they could “run with anybody in the county” and then they got run “out of” the stadium against a fringe top 20 team last night, lol.

I can laugh about it too. What was more embarrassing than the score was the fact that it came against a program that has fallen to second rate status. Losing to a team with a great run defense in a downpour rain isn't going to define Notre Dame's status as one of the top programs in the country. Nor will it define Brian Kelly's legacy. 

You'll probably still find something to laugh about when Notre Dame is 10-2 and playing in a major bowl game in January against a top tier opponent like LSU or Penn State. 

Don't forget to make note of Notre Dame 2019 page 3 so you can hold my last comment against me if it's incorrect. 

48 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The University’s endowment is the 9th largest in the country, over $11 billion. I think they’ll be OK.

Notre Dame will be ok, but what about IU or Purdue? The "fans" are an important piece of the puzzle. Over 75% of attendees at any given college football game have no tie to the university they are cheering for. The money they shell out goes a long way in supporting the athletic departments. Imagine telling a university  that they are only allowed to admit you if you have a college degree from their institution. IU's average attendance would go from about 40,000 to 10,000. 

10 hours ago, Irishman said:

Well gee......you sure showed us. Congrats on your speculating skills on the GID being so superior to mine. Here is your award for winning the internet. lol

61442521-4E9A-4591-AB2F-5C31910484EC.jpeg

Can you show me where I speculated anything?

9 hours ago, BTF said:

I can laugh about it too. What was more embarrassing than the score was the fact that it came against a program that has fallen to second rate status. Losing to a team with a great run defense in a downpour rain isn't going to define Notre Dame's status as one of the top programs in the country. Nor will it define Brian Kelly's legacy. 

You'll probably still find something to laugh about when Notre Dame is 10-2 and playing in a major bowl game in January against a top tier opponent like LSU or Penn State. 

Don't forget to make note of Notre Dame 2019 page 3 so you can hold my last comment against me if it's incorrect. 

Will do.

(For your sake, you better hope you don’t see LSU or Penn State in January.)

Apparently  Kelly's game plan that he had 2 weeks to implement , didn't include the chance of rain. Team did not look ready to play , especially in the rain . These total meltdowns that ND has experianced in the last several years( Michigan , Miami , Clemson ) are hard to explain . Kind of reminds me of my Penn Kingsmen in state title games(save 2015) where nothing can go right . 

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Can you show me where I speculated anything?

So what you are saying is that your REAL skill then is just pointing out where other people were not accurate on their speculations? Ok.....let me get my liquid paper out and fix what the trophy is for......congrats are still in order for you. 

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

So what you are saying is that your REAL skill then is just pointing out where other people were not accurate on their speculations? Ok.....let me get my liquid paper out and fix what the trophy is for......congrats are still in order for you. 

I'm just going to hold people's feet to the fire when they make outlandish statements that turn out to be nowhere near the truth.  That's all.  The arrogance of ND fans after all of their recent beat downs is hilarious.

Let's hope they get another NY6 bowl bid based on name and revenue as opposed to merit so they can be embarrassed again.  They should end up 10-2 with no noteworthy wins...

6 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I'm just going to hold people's feet to the fire when they make outlandish statements that turn out to be nowhere near the truth.  That's all.  The arrogance of ND fans after all of their recent beat downs is hilarious.

Let's hope they get another NY6 bowl bid based on name and revenue as opposed to merit so they can be embarrassed again.  They should end up 10-2 with no noteworthy wins...

EHEMMMMMMMMMMM.  Bowling Green.  :classic_cool:

It's ok.  I'm an Irish fan.  I can say it.  LOL

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Yeah...ok. So going INTO the game, rather than being an “after the fact” genius you are, what indication was there that Michigan was going to play like they did that makes what I said SOOOOOO outlandish? Going into the game what indication was there that ND was going to play like they did to make what I said SOOOOO outlandish? The fact is your stupid comment AFTER the fact is the outlandish one, but hey confrats on that internet trophy....your sure showed me, and earned it. 

6 hours ago, Temptation said:

(For your sake, you better hope you don’t see LSU or Penn State in January.)

For my sake? My salary isn't on the line. 

Notre Dame is 2-0 vs LSU in their last two meetings............both bowl games........................ 2014 & 2018. Penn State? That would be a good game. Like Notre Dame, the Nittany Lions rank somewhere between 5-10. 

Edited by BTF
Grammer - GID is a rough crew when it comes to that

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

For my sake? My salary isn't on the line. 

Notre Dame is 2-0 vs LSU in their last two meetings............both bowl games........................ 2014 & 2018. Penn State? That would be a good game. Like Notre Dame, the Nittany Lions rank somewhere between 5-10. 

As an Irish fan, I would NOT want to see them play the Bayou Bengals.  LSU would name their score even team vs. even team (if players aren't sitting for pros).

Penn St. sure.

These aren't our dad's LSU Tigers....or however that saying goes.

2 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

As an Irish fan, I would NOT want to see them play the Bayou Bengals.  LSU would name their score even team vs. even team (if players aren't sitting for pros).

Penn St. sure.

These aren't our dad's LSU Tigers....or however that saying goes.

Personally? As an Irish fan, I'd love to see ND play LSU. I'm not going to let a bad game in a rainstorm against a second rate opponent (ND was probably overconfident and felt like they would roll them) change my mind about what kind of a team ND is. Bring on the Tigers............bring on anyone (not in a rainstorm when the QB can't throw and the recievers can't catch). 

Go Irish!

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Personally? As an Irish fan, I'd love to see ND play LSU. I'm not going to let a bad game in a rainstorm against a second rate opponent (ND was probably overconfident and felt like they would roll them) change my mind about what kind of a team ND is. Bring on the Tigers............bring on anyone (not in a rainstorm when the QB can't throw and the recievers can't catch). 

Go Irish!

Then how do you explain the rest of Book's season?  🤣  Haven't seen them play in that type of rain all year.  

Did it only pour when ND had the ball?  Michigan's offense didn't have to play in the elements?

I am just having fun.  I am an Irish fan, but personally, I am ALWAYS a realistic fan of any teams I follow.  Irish are at best a 3 loss team this year.

The "Holy Fathers" need to decide if they really want to be all in on a being a "National Power".  If you are only going to recruit Stanford/Northwestern type STUDENT ATHLETES...you are going to be, on the average, Stanford and Northwestern.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you want to beat Alabama, Clemson, etc.  You need to recruit the same FOOTBALL players Alabama & Clemson are recruiting, and not worry too much about whether or not they will be able to pass freshman Calculus at Notre Dame.

At some point Notre Dame, as an institution, needs to realize its not every coach they've hired the past 2 and a half decades that has limited them.  My understanding, is Lou had a much wider hand in the athletes he could recruit and sign.

1 minute ago, DannEllenwood said:

Did it only pour when ND had the ball?  Michigan's offense didn't have to play in the elements?

I've been waiting this entire thread for someone to ask that question. You sound like like a true coach. Saying the right thing at the podium. The nice thing about fan forums, is that we can actually say it like it is. I'm not being disrespectful toward you, so don't take this the wrong way. It just doesn't take a genius to understand that weather elements like that favored Michigan's style of play? Did it affect Michigan's passing game? No, they couldn't pass anyway. Does Michigan have a great run defense? Absolutely. Knowing that ND would be one dimensional played in their favor. Sorry, I know ND haters don't want to see the truth in that (and apparently some ND fans), but it's a fact. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

I've been waiting this entire thread for someone to ask that question. You sound like like a true coach. Saying the right thing at the podium. The nice thing about fan forums, is that we can actually say it like it is. I'm not being disrespectful toward you, so don't take this the wrong way. It just doesn't take a genius to understand that weather elements like that favored Michigan's style of play? Did it affect Michigan's passing game? No, they couldn't pass anyway. Does Michigan have a great run defense? Absolutely. Knowing that ND would be one dimensional played in their favor. Sorry, I know ND haters don't want to see the truth in that (and apparently some ND fans), but it's a fact. 

Ex-coach thank you very much.  😉

When did ND become Air Coryell this year?

40 minutes ago, Temptation said:

"Harbaugh wishes he still had BRANDON PETERS did it for me..."

Again...at that time, Illinois had just beaten Wisconsin with Peters leading the way, and has quietly put together a decent season. Patterson had looked average at best. There had been no indication going into the game Saturday that Patterson would play like he did. I made that comment just after halftime of the UM vs. Penn State game where Patterson was really struggling. So again you get to be the after the fact genius.....congrats. 

1 minute ago, DannEllenwood said:

Ex-coach thank you very much.  😉

When did ND become Air Coryell this year?

Ex-coach? Lol, makes sense then :).

I get it, Book has some issues and I'm sure Kelly is considering his options with Jurkovich. But he's not a BAD quarterback (above average in fact), and the Irish offense is highly dependent on the passing attack. 

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

Go Irish!

If you can't stay within THIRTY points of an AVERAGE Michigan team, what makes you think you belong on the same field with LSU?

25 minutes ago, BTF said:

Go Irish!

Personally?  I'd like to see LSU play Ohio State in the National Championship game.  Joe Burrow transfers from Ohio State to LSU and is making history there.  Then has to play against his former team in the title game?  Could you imagine the story lines for a game like that?  LSU still has to beat Bama, but for now, my money is on the Tigers.  Bama's defense isn't as good this year as the past few years.

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Ex-coach? Lol, makes sense then :).

I get it, Book has some issues and I'm sure Kelly is considering his options with Jurkovich. But he's not a BAD quarterback (above average in fact), and the Irish offense is highly dependent on the passing attack. 

You are on your own on this one.  Good luck.

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Personally?  I'd like to see LSU play Ohio State in the National Championship game.  Joe Burrow transfers from Ohio State to LSU and is making history there.  Then has to play against his former team in the title game?  Could you imagine the story lines for a game like that?  LSU still has to beat Bama, but for now, my money is on the Tigers.  Bama's defense isn't as good this year as the past few years.

Not sure who to put my money on. At this point Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, or Clemson could win it. I have LSU ranked 4th at this point, the reason for my hypothetical ND/LSU match-up.  I think the top three are in a league of their own. I'm just not sold on LSU  yet as a front-runner for the championship. 

5 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

You are on your own on this one.  Good luck.

Thanks, but which part?