Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40

On 10/19/2019 at 5:16 PM, miner_35 said:

Does North Posey still have about 2176 formations to gameplan for? I remember 2 years ago that they lined up  in a different formation almost every play!

I haven't seen any of that in any of the footage I have watched.... it was a sight to see though back in 2017!!

30 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I haven't seen any of that in any of the footage I have watched.... it was a sight to see though back in 2017!!

It seems as though they don't have the speed that they had back 2 years ago either. I have a feeling those formations  were used to get the speedster in space and let him do his thing. 

I haven't seen but a little this year, but it does seem that their tight end is going to be a huge part of the offense.

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

I just started doing research on North Posey... they don't do Maxpreps... so no real info to find!  I thought Linton played it's best half of football on both sides of the ball in the first half last week against Providence.  But Providence certainly wasn't a passing threat... just 0-5, and their QB/LB was in street clothes.  Looks like the Vikings toss it around a lot more using like a Pistol set with #13 Jaxon Wiggins at QB, a junior 6'0 165, and #9 Zach Lowe a 5'10 160 senior at WB.  Got some big boys..as we have faced all year... #70 Chase Christie, junior 6'4 270, #78 Zach Myers 6'4 275,  #58 Caleb Doubler Jr 6'7 290,  a big TE in #44 Nate Willman Sr 6'2 210, and another skill player in #21 Tristan Martin, Se 6'0 160. 

Quick look at Linton-- #15 Goodman has thrown for 1,137 yards 14 TDs and 3 picks.  #5 leads in rushing from WB with 794 yards 8 scores on just 80 carries (9.9 per carry). #8 Lannan adds 683 and 8 on 99 carries (6.9).  The last 2 games have had running clocks that simply take these guys out of the game, they've each barely had 10 carries apiece in the last 2 games. Miners have rushed for 2,125 yards though, 236.1 a game.Goodman adds 326 and 9 TDs, and Sr WB #43 another 303 and 6 scores.   #18 Robertson leads in receiving with 29 catches for 498 and 5 scores, #28 Hauser with 16-156-1, Dyer 8-197-3 and Howard 13-180-2.  Lannan had 4 catches, 2 of the screens for TDs.   Defense is led by inside backers #2 Eslinger (85) and #8 Lannan (78).  Safety #43 Howard adds 54, with OLBDyer at 44.  Both Eslinger and Lannan have 11 TFL, the team with 58 total.  Linton has 15 picks led by 3 from Gavin House, and recovered 6 fumbles. This put them  at +11 in turnovers.  Jace Elmore, Senior kicker is 28-33 in PATs, with 3 of those being blocked. 

I felt the same way.  It was a rock solid first half!  I thought to myself at halftime: "I hope this is an indication they are tournament ready".  Playing bigger teams (size wise) is no new thing for the Miners.  It seems like most weeks they have been smaller than the opponent.  At the beginning of the season I predicted the Miners would go 7 - 2.  They did me one better.  It's been a great season.  Looking forward to an even greater tournament!

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I felt the same way.  It was a rock solid first half!  I thought to myself at halftime: "I hope this is an indication they are tournament ready".  Playing bigger teams (size wise) is no new thing for the Miners.  It seems like most weeks they have been smaller than the opponent.  At the beginning of the season I predicted the Miners would go 7 - 2.  They did me one better.  It's been a great season.  Looking forward to an even greater tournament!

Yep pretty impressive. I was thinking this morning about those Lil Rascals outta Linton-Stockton! They just won't go away! LOL. Cal Preps as em at #4 in 2A

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

Yep pretty impressive. I was thinking this morning about those Lil Rascals outta Linton-Stockton! They just won't go away! LOL. Cal Preps as em at #4 in 2A

That's a pretty high ranking from Cal Preps. I guess we have to ask:  Can they sustain that type of play for 6 more games? 

I hear ya.

2 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

Lotta hurdles yet to clear though. North Posey first

True dat!

I tell ya though.. it was a doozie of a game in 2017.   A battle of wills.  Miners drove 58 yards to open with a 7-0 lead on a Cash Howard 20 yard run.  The VIkings were picked on the first offensive play for them by Dreydan Ward athe Miner 48, but after reaching the NP 24, Keaton's Cox' scramble fell a yard short.  N.Posey tied things up with an 11 play 70 yard drive on an 18 yard Alex Stewart run at 1:02 in the 1st.  Linton was driving again, 1st and 10 at the Viking 39 when Cox fumbled with Stewart recovering.  NP moved as well, mixing the pass and the run effectively to the Miner 10 facing 3rd and 3, but a holding call pushed them back, resulting in Carter Martin missing a 39 yard Field Goal to the left nearly half way thru the 2nd.  Linton took that momentum and had big running plays from Lannan (21 and 14) and Dyuer (27) to push into the red zone, with Cox scoring from 4 out at the 3:21 mark. Irish hit the PAT, and it's Miners 14-7. North Posey starts off at their own 45, gets to Miner 32 but after two failed passes to Corey Heath, the Miners wrap up Steward on a 4th and 13 to stop the threat.  Halftime would see a pretty even contect.. 215-173 in total offense in Linton favor. THe Miners pretty much all on the ground (201) and the Vikings at 74/99 split. 

2nd half would see North Posey go straight down the field. Stewart carrying 5 times for 64 yards including the 24 yard score, knots it up 14 all. But the Miners would answer in a flash, and Lannan busts up the guy for a 42 yard run setting up Cox running in from 10, and a 7:56 of 3rd Linton back on top with another Irish PAT, 21-14.  By now both offense were moving the ball at ease.  Stewart converted at 3rd and 1 at the Miner 29, then on 4th and 8 at the Linton 21 Stewart completed the half back pass to Jesse Kissel for a 21 yard score.  Martin's PAT tied it up again at 21 with 4:28 in the 3rd.  Viking D would finally force a Miner punt, but then Linton would force North Posey to do the same.  Linton would go for a risky 4th and 1 and their own 42, and Cox barely got it, but they punt from midfield just into the 4th quarter.  The set up the best NP drive of the night from their own 23, converting five 3rd downs along with was including 3rd and 9, 3rd and 8, and a 3rd and 13 TD pass from Drake Rogers  to Austin Pearison of 22 yards...BUT, the PAT was blocked by Cash Howard...leaving the score 27-21 NO at the 3:58 mark of the game.  Then almost incredulously... Linton answers in two plays.  First Dyer broke from the Miner 19, 28 yards to the 47.  Next Cox broke free for a 53 yard TD run that seemed like the dagger.. especially with Braiden Irish PAT putting Linton up 28-27 with just 3:32 left.  The Dagger seemed to stab deeper when Steward fumbled the ball away at the Miner 47 on the first play of the next drive as Braxton Robinson came up with the ball. But the Miners couldn't ice the game away as two procedure calls and a swarming Viking defense force Linton to punt, but burying the Viking at their own 10 with 1:28 left. 

What happens in this final 1:28 is the things High School football players never forget, nor those lucky to have been at the game.  First Stewart drops a pass, the ROgers scrambles nearly being sacked, but gains 11 for the NP21.  I can remember plain as day, seeing the set up and knowing it was going to be a screen. You could see Steward leaning. The whole press box seemed to be yelling screen full vocal.. when it happened.   Screen.  Stewart makes the catch in the flat, a couple Miners lose footing, Steward amps up his speed, and down the screaming North Posey sideline he went Seventy-Nine yards to paydirt... absolutely switch of emotions as the Linton crowd goes silent where they had been in total screams second before...and vice versa the Viking throng now in total ectasy and NP players jump up and down and hug one another.  The Vikings then hit the 2 point conversion on a pass, and were up 28-21 with a mere 59 seconds left.  From their own 38, Cox was not going to give up, scrambling out of the pocket for 17 to the Viking 45.  back to back passes (Robertson for 6, Lannan for 4) and another 1st down, but a huge hit on Lannan was deemed head to head contact... tack on 15 mre, and Linton is at the Viking 20.  Cox again, scrambles for 9 diving out at the 11.  3rd and 1 an incomplete pass, the a crushing procedure call pushed miners back to the 16 on a 4th and 6... time for 1 play.  

Cox rolls to his right, NP has everyone covered, and seem to have Cox blocked in, but as we had seen from Keaton his entire Miner Career, he made people miss, darting in and around, and over to corner, hit about the 4, kept feet moving, downfield blocks from Dyer and Robertson… it actually looks like he’s gonna go down about the 2… but wait, #20 fellow senior Chance Howard comes flying in from nowhere to give a hearty lift and push to Cox, and it’s just enough as he leans the ball over the goal line in front of the official for a Miner Touchdown.  28-27…  

And no.. that’s not the PAT unit coming out… it’s the offense. People standing, both sides yelling.  Going into the famed south endzone…  Cox take snap, fakes handoff. Rolls left… everyone and their uncle thinks he’s gonna keep…  but alas soph Avery Puckett has gone down 5 and out from tight end. He’s got several steps on the coverage… Can Cox put in on the mark… there she flies… Boom.. The Catch…  Puckett hauls it in.  Miner fans erupt.  Miners only have to kick off .. which they do… and after 4 or 5 laterals, the game is over. Linton advances 29-28. 

What an effort on both sides for both teams. 

Miners rushed for 439 on 52 carrues,  Cox with 192, 4 TDs on 20 carries, 13-116 for Lannan, 12-91 for Dyer.  Cox 4 of 9 passing but just 24 yards, 3 of those to Robertson for 20.  Stewart ran 32 times for 155 yards and 2 scores.  He had the bulk of their 184 yards on 41 carries.  Rogers threw for 230 on 14 of 24 passing, 2 TDs... and Stewart was actually 2 of 2 for 45 and a TD.  Both teams had stellar efforts on the defensive side.  Rishie Meyer with 12 tackles, Stewart, Wyatt Like and Rogers all with 10.  Linton Chance Howard finished with 20 tackles, 2 for loss, Drake Cunningham 12, 9 from Lannan.  Irish was 4 of 4 on PATs for Linton, Martin 3 of 4 for North Posey.     A game for the ages for sure.  Of those players on that field that night, Linton will have Dyer, Howard, Lannan, Mongeau, Robertson, and Puckett back on the field this Friday.  I don't see that any the Vikings current players were an active part of this game two years ago.

24 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I tell ya though.. it was a doozie of a game in 2017.   A battle of wills.  Miners drove 58 yards to open with a 7-0 lead on a Cash Howard 20 yard run.  The VIkings were picked on the first offensive play for them by Dreydan Ward athe Miner 48, but after reaching the NP 24, Keaton's Cox' scramble fell a yard short.  N.Posey tied things up with an 11 play 70 yard drive on an 18 yard Alex Stewart run at 1:02 in the 1st.  Linton was driving again, 1st and 10 at the Viking 39 when Cox fumbled with Stewart recovering.  NP moved as well, mixing the pass and the run effectively to the Miner 10 facing 3rd and 3, but a holding call pushed them back, resulting in Carter Martin missing a 39 yard Field Goal to the left nearly half way thru the 2nd.  Linton took that momentum and had big running plays from Lannan (21 and 14) and Dyuer (27) to push into the red zone, with Cox scoring from 4 out at the 3:21 mark. Irish hit the PAT, and it's Miners 14-7. North Posey starts off at their own 45, gets to Miner 32 but after two failed passes to Corey Heath, the Miners wrap up Steward on a 4th and 13 to stop the threat.  Halftime would see a pretty even contect.. 215-173 in total offense in Linton favor. THe Miners pretty much all on the ground (201) and the Vikings at 74/99 split. 

2nd half would see North Posey go straight down the field. Stewart carrying 5 times for 64 yards including the 24 yard score, knots it up 14 all. But the Miners would answer in a flash, and Lannan busts up the guy for a 42 yard run setting up Cox running in from 10, and a 7:56 of 3rd Linton back on top with another Irish PAT, 21-14.  By now both offense were moving the ball at ease.  Stewart converted at 3rd and 1 at the Miner 29, then on 4th and 8 at the Linton 21 Stewart completed the half back pass to Jesse Kissel for a 21 yard score.  Martin's PAT tied it up again at 21 with 4:28 in the 3rd.  Viking D would finally force a Miner punt, but then Linton would force North Posey to do the same.  Linton would go for a risky 4th and 1 and their own 42, and Cox barely got it, but they punt from midfield just into the 4th quarter.  The set up the best NP drive of the night from their own 23, converting five 3rd downs along with was including 3rd and 9, 3rd and 8, and a 3rd and 13 TD pass from Drake Rogers  to Austin Pearison of 22 yards...BUT, the PAT was blocked by Cash Howard...leaving the score 27-21 NO at the 3:58 mark of the game.  Then almost incredulously... Linton answers in two plays.  First Dyer broke from the Miner 19, 28 yards to the 47.  Next Cox broke free for a 53 yard TD run that seemed like the dagger.. especially with Braiden Irish PAT putting Linton up 28-27 with just 3:32 left.  The Dagger seemed to stab deeper when Steward fumbled the ball away at the Miner 47 on the first play of the next drive as Braxton Robinson came up with the ball. But the Miners couldn't ice the game away as two procedure calls and a swarming Viking defense force Linton to punt, but burying the Viking at their own 10 with 1:28 left. 

What happens in this final 1:28 is the things High School football players never forget, nor those lucky to have been at the game.  First Stewart drops a pass, the ROgers scrambles nearly being sacked, but gains 11 for the NP21.  I can remember plain as day, seeing the set up and knowing it was going to be a screen. You could see Steward leaning. The whole press box seemed to be yelling screen full vocal.. when it happened.   Screen.  Stewart makes the catch in the flat, a couple Miners lose footing, Steward amps up his speed, and down the screaming North Posey sideline he went Seventy-Nine yards to paydirt... absolutely switch of emotions as the Linton crowd goes silent where they had been in total screams second before...and vice versa the Viking throng now in total ectasy and NP players jump up and down and hug one another.  The Vikings then hit the 2 point conversion on a pass, and were up 28-21 with a mere 59 seconds left.  From their own 38, Cox was not going to give up, scrambling out of the pocket for 17 to the Viking 45.  back to back passes (Robertson for 6, Lannan for 4) and another 1st down, but a huge hit on Lannan was deemed head to head contact... tack on 15 mre, and Linton is at the Viking 20.  Cox again, scrambles for 9 diving out at the 11.  3rd and 1 an incomplete pass, the a crushing procedure call pushed miners back to the 16 on a 4th and 6... time for 1 play.  

Cox rolls to his right, NP has everyone covered, and seem to have Cox blocked in, but as we had seen from Keaton his entire Miner Career, he made people miss, darting in and around, and over to corner, hit about the 4, kept feet moving, downfield blocks from Dyer and Robertson… it actually looks like he’s gonna go down about the 2… but wait, #20 fellow senior Chance Howard comes flying in from nowhere to give a hearty lift and push to Cox, and it’s just enough as he leans the ball over the goal line in front of the official for a Miner Touchdown.  28-27…  

And no.. that’s not the PAT unit coming out… it’s the offense. People standing, both sides yelling.  Going into the famed south endzone…  Cox take snap, fakes handoff. Rolls left… everyone and their uncle thinks he’s gonna keep…  but alas soph Avery Puckett has gone down 5 and out from tight end. He’s got several steps on the coverage… Can Cox put in on the mark… there she flies… Boom.. The Catch…  Puckett hauls it in.  Miner fans erupt.  Miners only have to kick off .. which they do… and after 4 or 5 laterals, the game is over. Linton advances 29-28. 

Miners rushed for 439 on 52 carrues,  Cox with 192, 4 TDs on 20 carries, 13-116 for Lannan, 12-91 for Dyer.  Cox 4 of 9 passing but just 24 yards, 3 of those to Robertson for 20.  Stewart ran 32 times for 155 yards and 2 scores.  He had the bulk of their 184 yards on 41 carries.  Rogers threw for 230 on 14 of 24 passing, 2 TDs... and Stewart was actually 2 of 2 for 45 and a TD.  Both teams had stellar efforts on the defensive side.  Rishie Meyer with 12 tackles, Stewart, Wyatt Like and Rogers all with 10.  Linton Chance Howard finished with 20 tackles, 2 for loss, Drake Cunningham 12, 9 from Lannan.  Irish was 4 of 4 on PATs for Linton, Martin 3 of 4 for North Posey.     A game for the ages for sure.  Of those players on that field that night, Linton will have Dyer, Howard, Lannan, Mongeau, Robertson, and Puckett back on the field this Friday.  I don't see that any the Vikings current players were an active part of this game two years ago.

Man, I'm worn out just from reading about all of that effort!  It was a crazy game for sure and one that Miner players and fans will talk about for years to come.  Just another part of the "legend" that surrounds Roy Williams Field during the tournament.  It becomes "electric" there during the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I feel like the Miners would be better prepared for the post season if they had played Parke Heritage Wolfs. Even though the Miners would be 7-2 right now instead of 8-1, the loss would be worth gaining the experience of playing the Wolfs.

they best worry about north vermillion.   Maybe down the road PH will accept the Miner challenge instead of declining.  But that's a discussion for another thread at another time.

26 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Man, I'm worn out just from reading about all of that effort!  It was a crazy game for sure and one that Miner players and fans will talk about for years to come.  Just another part of the "legend" that surrounds Roy Williams Field during the tournament.  It becomes "electric" there during the playoffs.

And I'm worn out from going back through it... but what memories it brought back. keaton cox was a heckuva of a play maker.

49 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

they best worry about north vermillion.   Maybe down the road PH will accept the Miner challenge instead of declining.  But that's a discussion for another thread at another time.

And I'm worn out from going back through it... but what memories it brought back. keaton cox was a heckuva of a play maker.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

Great write up Big D! Just to be picky again, 36-35 ;). 

8 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I feel like the Miners would be better prepared for the post season if they had played Parke Heritage Wolfs. Even though the Miners would be 7-2 right now instead of 8-1, the loss would be worth gaining the experience of playing the Wolfs.

I think I've figured out the absolute perfect spot for you to place one of your ENDzone cameras.

• Haha 3

One thing that no one has talked about (during the season) is North Knox's defense.  They only gave up `12 points per game average and the most they have given up in one game this year is 28.  They also have 3 shutouts.  I know people have talked on here about their offense, but their defense has played pretty well also.  If they end up hosting the sectional title game, they could be a tough out on their field. 

Edited by itiswhatitis

Yeah I wanted to get NK in this discussion.  It's a long trip to S Spencer... but they went to Boonville and showed no signs of travel woes...   I see Richter has been back full health as well.   Course The Rebels.. Like the North Posey Vikings... play in a conference with Heritage Hills, Gibson Southern and Southridge... and you add Tell City much improved as well as Forest Park.   The Warriors have done well this year... but their best wins have come over 6-3 NDaviess and 4-4 4A Boonville.  The Pioneers just blasted S Spencer.. so logic could be on NK's side for sure. 

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

One thing that no one has talked about (during the season) is North Knox's defense.  They only gave up `12 points per game average and the most they have given up in one game this year is 28.  They also have 3 shutouts.  I know people have talked on here about their offense, but their defense has played pretty well also.  If they end up hosting the sectional title game, they could be a tough out on their field. 

Im glad to see the gang at Bicknell doing well this year! Dont know if it would be real pretty if Mater Dei or Linton showed up though.

15 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Yeah I wanted to get NK in this discussion.  It's a long trip to S Spencer... but they went to Boonville and showed no signs of travel woes...   I see Richter has been back full health as well.   Course The Rebels.. Like the North Posey Vikings... play in a conference with Heritage Hills, Gibson Southern and Southridge... and you add Tell City much improved as well as Forest Park.   The Warriors have done well this year... but their best wins have come over 6-3 NDaviess and 4-4 4A Boonville.  The Pioneers just blasted S Spencer.. so logic could be on NK's side for sure. 

I look at 2 of North Knox's losses as "good" losses.  They lost 15 - 12 against 3A Sullivan and 12 - 6 against 3A Vincennes Lincoln.  Both of those teams only scored twice on the Warrior defense and a bounce here or a bounce there and those games might have been wins for the Warriors.  Their only other loss was to the Miners and they only managed to score 28.  The Warriors have had a good season this year and I believe it's because of their defense.  Much, much better than past years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, globemstr3 said:

Im glad to see the gang at Bicknell doing well this year! Dont know if it would be real pretty if Mater Dei or Linton showed up though.

I think the Warriors are chomping at the bit to have a rematch with Linton...  And I'd love to see that happen.... but right now we gotta think about North Posey... just a NK's gotta think Rebels. South Spencer has a history of winning football teams, but it's been a while.  Their last winning season was 7-3 in 2013, and their last run in sectional was a loss in the championship to Mater Dei...  They had a great run in 2003 going 11-3 before falling to Tri-West in the semi state 28-14.  However they'd gone just 6 -23 counting this year and back through 2016.  They got their one and only win this year in week 6 with a 62-12 win over winless Pike Central. They came close in week 7 losing to 5-4 Forest Park 14-7.   As mentioned though, 4 of their 8 losses have come to quality opponents- 7-2 3A Gibson Southern, 7-2 3A Southridge, 9-0 3A Heritage Hills, and 7-1 Owensboro Catholic (Ky.) Add 5-4 Tell City and 5-4 Forest Park to the mix.  The Warrior D has certainly be strong, just 12.1 ppg allowed. I'd assume the 22 they gave up to Washington was against JV later in the game. They've also put up 36.2 offensively, but their three losses were held to 13 or less.  Those were to 6-3 3A Sullivan 15-12 in week 1, then 5-4 3A Vincennes Lincoln 12-6, and to 8-1 2A Linton 28-13.   Quality win wise, their 44-12 win over 6-3 1A North Daviess in week 8, and perhaps the 34-20 win on the road over 4-4 4A Boonville would count. 

History hasn't been in NK favor in past meeting with the Rebels.  Since '94 they've met 4 times, all S Spencer wins.. and all decisively by a collective 192-6 score.  All of these were in sectional play: 2005 41-6; 2003 48-0; 2002 76-0; and 2001 27-0.  In direct common opponents there is Boonville.  NK winning at Boonville 34-20, with the Rebels fell big time 49-13.  Certainly SAG ratings favor the Warriors on the road with a 27.7 margin.  NK with the 17th highest 2A SAG at 49.03 compared to 19.37 for SS.  The Rebels will have the edge in Schedule Strength, which is 15th in Class 2A, NK at 48th.   Coach John Edge is in his 2nd year at South Spencer (3-16) and have bowed out in the first round each of his seasons.  Josh Chambers is in year 5 with his Warriors, and have hovered around .500 the last three years (5-6, 4-6, 5-5) but are 1-4 in the sectionals his first 4 years. They beat Tell City in OT last year in the opening round.

NK got some votes around mid-season in the polls, but the losses to the Alices and Miners back to back pushed them out.  They have the 7th best scoring defense in 2A, 32nd in state, and have the 10th highest offensive scoring average in 2A.  The Point Differential for NK is +24.1, while the Rebels are in the negative a -21.89.  You would certainly consider NK a favorite to win this game, and I would definitely put them in the dark horse role in sectional 40 behind Linton and Mater Dei. Their draw couldn't have been any better.  A road game..given that it's a long drive, but to a 1-8 opponent, then not having Linton or Mater Dei in their bracket.  Forest Park and Tell City will hack it out in the other bottom bracket game-- which I'd would have given to the Marksmen..but the Rangers won 14-7 last week!

1 hour ago, globemstr3 said:

30 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I think the Warriors are chomping at the bit to have a rematch with Linton...  And I'd love to see that happen.... but right now we gotta think about North Posey... just a NK's gotta think Rebels. South Spencer has a history of winning football teams, but it's been a while.  Their last winning season was 7-3 in 2013, and their last run in sectional was a loss in the championship to Mater Dei...  They had a great run in 2003 going 11-3 before falling to Tri-West in the semi state 28-14.  However they'd gone just 6 -23 counting this year and back through 2016.  They got their one and only win this year in week 6 with a 62-12 win over winless Pike Central. They came close in week 7 losing to 5-4 Forest Park 14-7.   As mentioned though, 4 of their 8 losses have come to quality opponents- 7-2 3A Gibson Southern, 7-2 3A Southridge, 9-0 3A Heritage Hills, and 7-1 Owensboro Catholic (Ky.) Add 5-4 Tell City and 5-4 Forest Park to the mix.  The Warrior D has certainly be strong, just 12.1 ppg allowed. I'd assume the 22 they gave up to Washington was against JV later in the game. They've also put up 36.2 offensively, but their three losses were held to 13 or less.  Those were to 6-3 3A Sullivan 15-12 in week 1, then 5-4 3A Vincennes Lincoln 12-6, and to 8-1 2A Linton 28-13.   Quality win wise, their 44-12 win over 6-3 1A North Daviess in week 8, and perhaps the 34-20 win on the road over 4-4 4A Boonville would count. 

History hasn't been in NK favor in past meeting with the Rebels.  Since '94 they've met 4 times, all S Spencer wins.. and all decisively by a collective 192-6 score.  All of these were in sectional play: 2005 41-6; 2003 48-0; 2002 76-0; and 2001 27-0.  In direct common opponents there is Boonville.  NK winning at Boonville 34-20, with the Rebels fell big time 49-13.  Certainly SAG ratings favor the Warriors on the road with a 27.7 margin.  NK with the 17th highest 2A SAG at 49.03 compared to 19.37 for SS.  The Rebels will have the edge in Schedule Strength, which is 15th in Class 2A, NK at 48th.   Coach John Edge is in his 2nd year at South Spencer (3-16) and have bowed out in the first round each of his seasons.  Josh Chambers is in year 5 with his Warriors, and have hovered around .500 the last three years (5-6, 4-6, 5-5) but are 1-4 in the sectionals his first 4 years. They beat Tell City in OT last year in the opening round.

NK got some votes around mid-season in the polls, but the losses to the Alices and Miners back to back pushed them out.  They have the 7th best scoring defense in 2A, 32nd in state, and have the 10th highest offensive scoring average in 2A.  The Point Differential for NK is +24.1, while the Rebels are in the negative a -21.89.  You would certainly consider NK a favorite to win this game, and I would definitely put them in the dark horse role in sectional 40 behind Linton and Mater Dei. Their draw couldn't have been any better.  A road game..given that it's a long drive, but to a 1-8 opponent, then not having Linton or Mater Dei in their bracket.  Forest Park and Tell City will hack it out in the other bottom bracket game-- which I'd would have given to the Marksmen..but the Rangers won 14-7 last week!

14-0

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Long road trip be hanged, I believe S Spencer won't be within 2 - 3 TD's of the Warriors by the end of the game.  The Warriors are in a good spot to find themselves in the sectional final this year.  I was talking with a friend who went to Reitz.  I asked him about the football field and he said the home side is built into a hillside.  Sounds hauntingly familiar to North Knox's field.

4 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Long road trip be hanged, I believe S Spencer won't be within 2 - 3 TD's of the Warriors by the end of the game.  The Warriors are in a good spot to find themselves in the sectional final this year.  I was talking with a friend who went to Reitz.  I asked him about the football field and he said the home side is built into a hillside.  Sounds hauntingly familiar to North Knox's field.

Reitz field is nothing like North Knox's. 

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Okay.  I 'll have to ask my friend again then.  North Knox home side stands are built into a hillside.  He said that is how Reitz's is as well.  Wasn't implying they are exactly alike.

My Dad and I went to a game at Reitz Field a long time ago...or was is Central.. or was in Enlow... dang that was a long  time back.  He played football at Evansville as a Proud Purple Ace.. he said they played their home games on several different fields...

I think I saw the southridge-mater dei game online at the Reitz bowl...

• Like 1

As for the Rangers and the Marksmen...   We played Forest Park last year first round, in the rain.. and they lost one of their best on the first play of the game to an ACL.  They were very young, only 6 seniors.. 2 on Off and 2 on Def. Against us I show they started 3 freshman on offense including the QB.  Coach Ross Fuhs had a lot coming back this year, and their current 5-4 record matches their 5 wins back in 2015.  You gotta go back to 2010 for their best win season at 8-3, just two years from their first full season in 2008.  They've only advanced past round 1 twice in their existence... and having beaten Tell City last week at Tell City 14-0 has to make them feel confident coming into Friday at Ferdinand.  I must admit to being a little surprised at the score myself... and I wonder if Coach Aaron Clements left some things in the playbook thinking of this game..ultimately a more important game in the end.  I doubt it because I'm sure the Marksmen wanted to win on senior night, and have momentum going into the sectional. 

It's only Clement's 2nd year at the helm, and his 5-4 mark is the most wins since a 6 win season in 2013.  Sectionals haven't brought much success to Tell City of late, exiting after 1 game in each of the last four years, and 8 of the last 10.  These two teams obviously play a lot of common foes, as well as the head to head last week.  As with N.Posey, anyone in the PAC has to face and usually lose to Heritage Hills, Southridge and Gibson Southern.  And that was this case for both teams this year, and by similar margins.  Both teams beat the Commores of Perry Central (5-4 1a) with a 30-20 win for Forest Park, and a 12-6 battle for Tell City in that rivalry 1 week game.  Both also handled the winless Chargers of Pike Central- 48-14 for TC, and a 42-0 shut out by FP.   The one difference being the Vikings of North Posey  (4-5) and the Marksmen got a big 41-13 win yet the Rangers took a 24-11 defeat.

In terms of Sagarin, Tell City  is the favorite  by just 2.41.  34.08 for TC, 29.67 for FP.  Both have pretty much the same SOS as they played the same schedule!  The Markmen put up 21.67 per game offense against a Ranger D that allows 21.89.  FP put up 17.44 per game against the Marksmen D allowing 20.67.  All these numbers certainly would indicate two teams very very similar and equal in most ways.  Both Senior Classes have lost 28 games, with TC winning 11 to FP's 12.   Tell City won the 2018 meeting 28-0 which had ended a 3 game win streak by Forest Park (40-34 2017; 20-0 2016; and 40-34 in 2015).   THis really should be a good ball game to see in person...