Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

Coronavirus News: Woman credits experimental drug hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 recovery

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, Manhattan -- A woman who was treated with an experimental drug to fight the coronavirus is sharing her recovery story.
"Once my fever was gone, it was gone, that was it," Suzanne Schwing said. Schwing is smiling again and with good reason. She spent 10 days in a hospital room after she was rushed to Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City, where she was diagnosed with COVID-19.

On day three, Schwing was given hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, along with antibiotics. It's a pharmaceutical cocktail approved by the FDA for clinical trials, and this week, a preliminary Chinese study offered promising results.

Schwing is convinced it worked for her.

"I don't know how much of my recovery was due to the cocktail and how much of it was due to the length of the time I was spending recovering, but something certainly shifted," Schwing said. "And I think it would have shifted a lot later had I not received that particular treatment. That's my gut feeling."

Schwing believes that her recovery offers hope to others during this pandemic.

https://abc7chicago.com/hydroxychloroquin-coronavirus-treatment-recovery-ccovid-19/6076278/

3 hours ago, Howe said:

After 17 years there is no vaccine or cure for SARS-CoV. After 8 years there is no vaccine or cure for MERS-CoV. I wonder when the vaccine and cure for COVID-19 will be available? 

There’s a lot of misinformation out there about treatments and vaccines. The fact is there won’t be drug treatment specifically designed to treat the disease, as opposed to the symptoms, in 2020, and a vaccine won’t happen for 12-18 mos. as a best case scenario. This article is a week old. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-exactly-where-were-at-with-vaccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19
However, Dr. Anthony FauciTrusted Source, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told reporters last week that a vaccine won’t be available for widespread use for at least another 12 to 18 months.

This is the timeline to complete the phase III clinical studies. There’s no guarantee that the vaccine candidates will work.

“There’s a lot of uncertainty with vaccine development,” Lee said. “Naturally, you have to make sure the vaccine is safe. But you also have to make sure the vaccine will elicit enough of an immune response.”

Like drugs, potential vaccines have to pass through the same clinical trial stagesTrusted Source. This is especially important when it comes to safety, even during a pandemic.

“The public’s willingness to back quarantines and other public-health measures to slow spread tends to correlate with how much people trust the government’s health advice,” Shibo Jiang, a virologist at Fudan University in China, wrote in the journal NatureTrusted Source. 

“A rush into potentially risky vaccines and therapies will betray that trust and discourage work to develop better assessments,” he said.

• Thanks 1

This Coronavirus Patient Dodged A Bullet With Hydroxychloroquine. Is She A Harbinger Or Outlier?

Novins, who shared her lab tests and medication list, got her diagnosis March 19. Next to the entry for SARS-CoV-2 were the words “Detected Critical.” She had the coronavirus, or COVID-19.

To that point, Novins had been a pneumonia patient for three days, treated mainly with antibiotics. But within an hour, a new drug was added to her med list: hydroxychloroquine, a decades-old malaria-turned-autoimmune drug, also called by its brand name Plaquenil. President Trump is touting the drug, some say overselling it, as the possible answer to the COVID-19 crisis.

The fever,” which was still spiking when she was on other meds, “is now gone, which is fantastic,” she said on Saturday March 21, coughing at times but able to speak.

A 53-year-old nurse who described herself as a nonsmoker with no medical issues, Novins spoke to me from the hospital that had cared for some of the seven members of a family ravaged by COVIDtwo adult brothers, a sister and their mother died from the infection.

“The doctor insisted the pharmacy get it to me the minute we got the positive,” she said of hydroxychloroquine. “It seemed like their go-to right away.”

“Despite the limitations of this study, in the absence of any effective treatment, in this urgent situation, this Plaquenil and Azithromycin combination therapy should be given to patients with COVID-19 as a treatment option,” Ying Zhang, a professor of microbiology at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, wrote in an email. “For now, there is no time to wait.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marybethpfeiffer/2020/03/22/one-patient-dodges-a-covid-bullet-is-she-a-harbinger-or-outlier/#57b6ec155b84

• Disdain 1

54 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Working through COVID impacts internationally with my company, we don't use any MSM to get any of our data.

I would hope not. What data have they obtained concerning the effectiveness of  Hydroxychoroquine as a treatment for COVID-19? Please share.

55 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Shame most citizens don't understand there are so many more better sources.

There are many sources for News. None of them unbiased. 

23 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I trust many other sources for coronovirus than I do MSM.

I haven't disputed that. What data have you and your Company obtained concerning the effectiveness of  Hydroxychoroquine as a treatment for COVID-19? Please share.

1 minute ago, TrojanDad said:

I ignored your request the first time.  But MSM won't be a info source.

That's fine if you want to refuse to discuss it. No problem. I guess your buddy @Howe will have to continue to get his info from the MSM

On 4/3/2020 at 9:45 AM, swordfish said:

He wasn't fired for raising the alarm, he was fired because he sent his email to his superiors (on the ship - he was NOT the top officer) incorrectly over unsecured means, and it was leaked out as a result......It is noteworthy that this is something even Hillary Clinton didn't get fired for.......

Navy leader resigns after calling fired carrier captain 'naive,' 'stupid'

https://www.wthr.com/article/navy-leader-resigns-after-calling-fired-carrier-captain-naive-stupid

3 hours ago, gonzoron said:

CBS is one of the sources you cited above in your anecdotal defense of Trump’s “cure”. 

I'm a bit surprised CBS actually reported one of the many successful patients receiving hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19.

All of you democrats just keep on cheering for death and disaster.

• Disdain 1

6 hours ago, Howe said:

Epidemiolgists model of coronavirus outbreak are highly inaccurate.

So are weather forecasters. Yet, you check the forecast every day and take it into account going forward. Why should this be any different? You listen to the experts, make a plan, and if it turns out they are wrong, you make a new plan and live with it. 

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

So are weather forecasters. Yet, you check the forecast every day and take it into account going forward. Why should this be any different? You listen to the experts, make a plan, and if it turns out they are wrong, you make a new plan and live with it. 

Good analogy. Perhaps we should learn the fact that epidemiologists even the great Dr. Fauci are just people and not the “almighty”. 

• Disdain 1

It would be great if my sales projections that my company adjusts protocols in the same extent of the USA has done during this virus...could wind up being off by 90%, ... and I could still be considered the expert.......Yeah that would be great.....

I really don’t understand the pervasive need in our society to assign blame. Nothing bad can possibly happen without someone being to blame for it. The first thing we do when calamity strikes is start looking for someone to point the figure at.

We are in the midst of something unprecedented in our lifetimes. We’ve had pandemics before. But not recently for a virus that is both highly contagious and for which there is no vaccine and no accepted effective treatment protocol. But instead of focusing on the implications of that, we have lots of people bitching about doctored statistics, Big Pharma, the FDA, China, and, of course, Trump. 

Every time I think I can’t get more disappointed in our society, I’m proved wrong.

Edit:  On reflection, it occurs to me that it’s ironic that I feel this way after working 40 yrs. as an attorney engaged in civil litigation. We’ve elevated finger pointing to an art form.

Edited by Bobref

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I really don’t understand the pervasive need in our society to assign blame. Nothing bad can possibly happen without someone being to blame for it. The first thing we do when calamity strikes is start looking for someone to point the figure at.

We are in the midst of something unprecedented in our lifetimes. We’ve had pandemics before. But not recently for a virus that is both highly contagious and for which there is no vaccine and no accepted effective treatment protocol. But instead of focusing on the implications of that, we have lots of people bitching about doctored statistics, Big Pharma, the FDA, China, and, of course, Trump. 

Every time I think I can’t get more disappointed in our society, I’m proved wrong.

Edit:  On reflection, it occurs to me that it’s ironic that I feel this way after working 40 yrs. as an attorney engaged in civil litigation. We’ve elevated finger pointing to an art form.

This is precisely what my wife an I discussed last night. There's no one to blame here for this crisis. It's going to take everyone working together to get through it. There is no hard and fast solution, so I agree, why "blame" anyone?

Not trying to blame....just pointing out the ludicrousness of this.  When the result of the original modelling pointed towards 2.5 million plus deaths in the US was the shutdown we are currently in, and the latest numbers are now 60,000 or less (a miraculous 3% of the original - less than last season's flu numbers) - then you explain how this was not a serious over-reaction resulting in the destruction of our millions of livelihoods with no end in sight.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Experts.......

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Not trying to blame....just pointing out the ludicrousness of this.  When the result of the original modelling pointed towards 2.5 million plus deaths in the US was the shutdown we are currently in, and the latest numbers are now 60,000 or less (a miraculous 3% of the original - less than last season's flu numbers) - then you explain how this was not a serious over-reaction resulting in the destruction of our millions of livelihoods with no end in sight.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Experts.......

I certainly am not going to fault the epidemiologists for taking what was then extremely limited data on a brand new virus and planning for the worst case scenario. Anything else is classic Monday morning quarterbacking. The measures taken in many countries far exceeded our own, and they still dealt with a lot more trouble than we did. The fact that we have actually “flattened the curve” speaks to the timeliness and effectiveness of the measures taken, and the heroic response of the medical community. But until there’s a vaccine or an effective treatment protocol sufficiently tested, we are going to be dealing with this virus. We need to be very, very careful about relaxing what has been shown to work.

Edited by Bobref

6 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

head scratcher here.....was this posted after the initial China travel restrictions?  No blame I guess with this one...just innocently posting a meme.....

image.thumb.png.c3d1d7a5001ab3de701ce8cef52cd009.png

Your response is a head scratcher indeed. No one is being blamed for anything in the meme. Unless it's excessive use of a Sharpie. Try again.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Sure wasn't meant as a compliment.....surely the meme doesn't question Trump's intelligence on this issue.  Or that he would control the CDC to publish something inaccurate only to appease him at the expense of citizens.  Certainly, you would never look for an opportunity to bash the POTUS.  Not you...just seeking harmony and to be part of the solution.  What a guy!!

Sometimes I think you actually believe the horse manure you shovel.  Then I realize that isn't plausible.....just lack the marbles to own it outright.

It appears you suffer from GDS. Gonzoron Derangement Syndrome. Please seek professional help, lol.

47 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

A step in the right direction. You didn’t own it, but you didn’t deny either. Some deflection is expected as Rome wasn’t built in a day. Big step forward. Remember, honesty is the best policy. 

You can stay here and hurl derogatory words if you want, I have another place to discuss Covid-19 where the sane people want to actually have a discussion. Enjoy your isolation.