Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The Coronavirus - a virus from eating bats, an accident or something sinister gone wrong?

swordfish

Dr.Anthony Fauci - “This is not a major threat to the people of the United States and this is not something the citizens of the United States, right now, need to be worried about.”                                                                

• Disdain 1

5 minutes ago, Howe said:

Dr.Anthony Fauci - “This is not a major threat to the people of the United States and this is not something the citizens of the United States, right now, need to be worried about.”                                                                

The quote from Dr. Fauci is from Jan. 21- almost 4 months ago. At the same time:

Jan. 17: The World Health Organization publishes a protocol for manufacturing coronavirus tests.

• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention opts to develop its own test instead of using the WHO's.

Jan. 30: The WHO declares global health emergency.

19 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

The quote from Dr. Fauci is from Jan. 21- almost 4 months ago. At the same time:

Jan. 17: The World Health Organization publishes a protocol for manufacturing coronavirus tests.

• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention opts to develop its own test instead of using the WHO's.

Jan. 30: The WHO declares global health emergency.

I realize Dr. Anthony Fauci is the Democrats new super hero after the collapse of their former super hero's Robert Mueller and Michael Avenatti. However, he is the Director of the  National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease. He has 36 years of experience and is considered the leading expert in America.

Fauci made those statements on January 21 even after ABC, NBC, AP News, USA Today, NPR and The Hill published articles on January 20 reporting human to human transmission. Global News also posted a video on YouTube on January 20, Fauci made the same public assessment on January 26.

It is interesting Fauci made those public statements after human to human transmission had been reported by multiple outlets when he had also "predicted" the Trump administration would have a surpise pandemic outbreak. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/human-human-transmission-coronavirus-reported-china/story?id=68403105

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/human-human-transmission-confirmed-china-coronavirus-n1118866

https://apnews.com/14d7dcffa205d9022fa9ea593bb2a8c5

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/01/20/china-coronavirus-transmission-between-humans-confirmed-200-cases/4523222002/

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/01/20/797926447/coronavirus-in-china-over-200-cases-human-to-human-transmission

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/479055-doctors-confirm-human-to-human-transmission-of-new-coronavirus

• Disdain 1

8 minutes ago, Howe said:

ABC, NBC, AP News, USA Today, NPR and The Hill published articles

These are all sources you have scoffed at in your entire time here in the OOB. Now you cite them. Hypocrite much?

10 minutes ago, Howe said:

Fauci made those statements

Fauci is one man. He isn't the be-all end-all for this pandemic. Your attempts to discredit him alone are childish. 

On 4/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, swordfish said:

It would be great if my sales projections that my company adjusts protocols in the same extent of the USA has done during this virus...could wind up being off by 90%, ... and I could still be considered the expert.......Yeah that would be great.....

On 4/11/2020 at 3:08 PM, Bobref said:

This is what I’m waiting for someone to explain to me.

Current projections — and they are updating every day — say total US diagnosed cases will hit somewhere between 6 and 700,000 by August. In any event, still under a million. And let’s assume because of the unavailability of testing early on, or lack of significant symptoms, there are 10 times that many people who had the virus undiagnosed, and now have immunity. That still leaves more than 300 million people in the US who are defenseless against the virus, 50 million or so of whom are over 65, immune-suppressed, or otherwise in the high risk group. There’s not going to be a vaccine for at least a year. 

In those circumstances, how can you justify putting 60,000 people into a football stadium for several hours a few hundred times, or 20,000 in a basketball arena thousands of times. Or even 100 kids in a lecture hall a few million times?

This is far from over.

Again - The original projection of over 2.2 million deaths in the US from this virus was what prompted the government to move as swiftly as they did (In January and February) and supported the wholesale closing of the United States policies.  All 50 states.  That was my original point.  That projection was  then lowered to  1 million, then 1-200,000 , then 80,000, now 60,000. (Which is a normal flu year).

This was certainly not worth it (IMHO - now waiting for the expected "what if it was your mother, you'd be thinking different") 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

you mean the same WHO that has been celebrating how China managed COVID?  The same WHO that didn't call COVID 19 a pandemic until March 11th?

If they did such a tremendous job informing the world, then explain Europe....especially Italy and Spain?

2 hours ago, swordfish said:

Again - The original projection of over 2.2 million deaths in the US from this virus was what prompted the government to move as swiftly as they did (In January and February) and supported the wholesale closing of the United States policies.  All 50 states.  That was my original point.  That projection was  then lowered to  1 million, then 1-200,000 , then 80,000, now 60,000. (Which is a normal flu year).

This was certainly not worth it (IMHO - now waiting for the expected "what if it was your mother, you'd be thinking different") 

The numbers keep lowering because (a) we’re learning more and more about the virus all the time, and (b) what we’re doing is working. As long as the virus is still here — which it unquestionably is — and there are hundreds of millions waiting to be infected — which there are — why would you consider stopping what we are doing? 

23 hours ago, gonzoron said:

These are all sources you have scoffed at in your entire time here in the OOB. Now you cite them. Hypocrite much?

Fauci is one man. He isn't the be-all end-all for this pandemic. Your attempts to discredit him alone are childish. 

Those sources were reporting information to the average American on January 20. Dr. Deborah Birx stated "It wasn't until January 14th that we knew there was human to human transmission". I'm confident Dr. Fauci knew there was human to human transmission on January 14 yet he continued to downplay the threat for weeks.

• Disdain 1

49 minutes ago, Howe said:

Those sources were reporting information to the average American on January 20. Dr. Deborah Birx stated "It wasn't until January 14th that we knew there was human to human transmission". I'm confident Dr. Fauci knew there was human to human transmission on January 14 yet he continued to downplay the threat for weeks.

So in your opinion, it was 1 man who caused the COVID-19 prescence in the United States. Got it. Thanks Fauci.

It seems more and more people are losing patience and are pushing for a lifting of some restrictions. With anything there is risk involved. Japan is seeing a second wave of the outbreak just a month after lifting restrictions. I am pretty certain that this will be a common theme as more and more states and countries look to get their economy on track. I guess we have to weigh the risk vs the reward? What are we willing to give up as a State or nation so that our lives can be closer to what they were just a few months ago? 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/13/832981899/emergency-declared-in-japanese-prefecture-hit-by-2nd-wave-of-coronavirus-infecti?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR0NNy1juQwC76lqmK7G6v-60HnwegURJ8PMV6o5YCuLfhUkT-IYEbR0aZM

5 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Well there you go......The same guy......RIP......

FTA:  The 69-year-old was also suffering from other underlying health conditions.

True, but that is the case with a number of viruses. Had he never acquired the Coronavirus, how many more years would he have lived? He became a "light" for those trying to minimize the seriousness of the virus and to promote the notion that States and health officials were not reporting accurate numbers. The sad reality is that the virus led to his passing. As I said, the actual cause of death may have been one or more of the underlying issues. But looking at AIDS as an example; when people pass, the death certificate will not say AIDS. It will say something along the lines of AIDS related illness; or complications related to AIDS. In a legal and medical sense, it was AIDS that led to the untimely death, just as in cases now, people are dying of causes or complications related to having the Coronavirus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howe said:

Trump plays a video montage of the mainstream media downplaying the coronavirus at press briefing. CNN and MSNBC drop the feed.  Trump humiliates these clowns again.

Wait......What??????

i thought you claimed they were what caused the hysteria by claiming it was serious??

Cant claim both. Which is it?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nursing-homes-remain-a-concern-as-new-yorks-coronavirus-outbreak-appears-to-plateau-11586892250

New York City raised its likely death toll from coronavirus by 3,778 people on Tuesday afternoon, after city officials released new numbers counting people who were presumed to have died of the disease but who hadn’t tested positive for the virus.

Until now, only people who died after testing positive for the virus were counted among its victims in New York in publicly released data.

So the death rate wasn't supporting the actions, now we need "presume" someone probably had it.......I thought science was absolute, not a consensus......

• Like 1