Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jussie Smollett attack - real or staged?

swordfish

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Never heard that version before.

Totally agree. The better ones can back their opinion up with evidence.

So your opinion is backed up with ... your opinion. And mine is backed up by 40 years of experience with the legal system. I’m satisfied with that.

Just now, Bobref said:

So your opinion is backed up with ... your opinion. And mine is backed up by 40 years of experience with the legal system. I’m satisfied with that.

My claim is backed up with evidence that a black man was charged with felony false reporting. (against imaginary white people)

You have presented zero evidence that the white people shown in @foxbat 's meme have been charged with felony false reporting.(against innocent black people)

Case closed.

Has your 40 years of experience in the legal system involved extensive defense work of people charged with false reporting of a crime? Please enlighten us.

19 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

My claim is backed up with evidence that a black man was charged with felony false reporting. (against imaginary white people)

You have presented zero evidence that the white people shown in @foxbat 's meme have been charged with felony false reporting.(against innocent black people)

Case closed.

Has your 40 years of experience in the legal system involved extensive defense work of people charged with false reporting of a crime? Please enlighten us.

I don't understand your rage, Gonzo.  Are you saying that maybe because some white people did not get charged with felony false reporting that Mr. Smollett should be given a pass, because he happens to be black?

• Disdain 1

34 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I don't understand your rage, Gonzo.  Are you saying that maybe because some white people did not get charged with felony false reporting that Mr. Smollett should be given a pass, because he happens to be black?

Going to venture a guess, as it was I who posted a meme. Not suggesting that he gets out of the responsibility for doing what he did, but why weren’t the others charged for false reporting? 

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I don't understand your rage, Gonzo

What rage? 

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Are you saying that maybe because some white people did not get charged with felony false reporting that Mr. Smollett should be given a pass, because he happens to be black?

No. I haven't defended his actions once in this entire thread.

Do you feel the charge merits felony status? Please explain why, if you do.

Edited by gonzoron

What rage? 

What rage? 

5 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Alrighty then.

Sorry, I was editing my post and the time expired. Here’s what I meant to say.

@gonzoron, your rage springs from ignorance. Here is the Illinois statute. You decide if what he’s accused of merits felony status:

§ 26-1.  Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he or she knowingly:

(4) Transmits or causes to be transmitted in any manner to any peace officer, public officer or public employee a report to the effect that an offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed, knowing at the time of the transmission that there is no reasonable ground for believing that the offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed;

A violation of subsection (a)(2), (a)(3.5), (a)(4), (a)(6), (a)(7), or (a)(9) of this Section is a Class 4 felony.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

your rage springs from ignorance

I have no rage regarding this matter.  I don't understand why you and @Muda69 have that impression.

Thanks for taking the time to look up the Illinois statute. Why didn't you explain this earlier in the discussion?  You initially called it an 'upcharge', a false statement as it turns out.

23 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I have no rage regarding this matter.  I don't understand why you and @Muda69 have that impression.

Thanks for taking the time to look up the Illinois statute. Why didn't you explain this earlier in the discussion?  You initially called it an 'upcharge', a false statement as it turns out.

I confess that I am not as conversant with the Illinois criminal code as I could be, since I practice civil litigation in Indiana. Still, I believe they will ultimately negotiate this down to a guilty plea on something else (what that might be, I don’t know ... yet), and he’ll get a fine and probation ... plus a ton of bad pub.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Sorry, I was editing my post and the time expired. Here’s what I meant to say.

@gonzoron, your rage springs from ignorance. Here is the Illinois statute. You decide if what he’s accused of merits felony status:

§ 26-1.  Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he or she knowingly:

(4) Transmits or causes to be transmitted in any manner to any peace officer, public officer or public employee a report to the effect that an offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed, knowing at the time of the transmission that there is no reasonable ground for believing that the offense will be committed, is being committed, or has been committed;

A violation of subsection (a)(2), (a)(3.5), (a)(4), (a)(6), (a)(7), or (a)(9) of this Section is a Class 4 felony.

Thank you Bob.  I thought what is boiled down to, at least in most states, is that if the crime you falsely reported is a felony crime then you can be charged with felony false reporting. If the falsely reported crime is a misdemeanor then you can be charged with misdemeanor false reporting.

• Disdain 1

32 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you Bob.  I thought what is boiled down to, at least in most states, is that if the crime you falsely reported is a felony crime then you can be charged with felony false reporting. If the falsely reported crime is a misdemeanor then you can be charged with misdemeanor false reporting.

That would make sense, since the basis of the crime is the unnecessary diversion of police resources in investigating a crime that didn’t happen. Felonies generally require more resources to investigate than misdemeanors.

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

Going to venture a guess, as it was I who posted a meme. Not suggesting that he gets out of the responsibility for doing what he did, but why weren’t the others charged for false reporting? 

Possibly the same reason that, despite the fact that most races consume, sell, and buy pot in similar proportions to their population, Blacks are much more likely to be arrested for pot possession/use and to be incarcerated at higher rates than Whites.  Even as pot laws are relaxed, Blacks still end up being arrested and incarcerated at a much higher rate proportionally than their White counterparts. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

I guess I haven’t followed this story closely enough. Who are these “others?”

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

That isn’t the case in Illinois. Reporting any crime that you know  has not been committed is a felony. Doesn’t matter if the crime being reported is a felony or not.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:55 PM, Bobref said:

Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one. .... But some are better than others. 

Opinions are like a$$ holes - Everybody has one, and I don't want to hear yours.....😄

Charles Barkley on Jussie - Hilarious.....

• Haha 1