Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2020

Bobref

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

Texas A&M will slide in regardless of this weekend's outcome in my opinion.  Are you going to potentially set up a THIRD game between Clemson and ND?  This weekend's game is a quarterfinal contest.

Texas A&M is out in my opinion. Here is why:

Alabama will beat Florida. Even if they don't........ They are in.

Ohio State will beat Northwestern. They are in.

Clemson will beat Notre Dame in a game decided by less than 17 points.. Both teams are in. 

No chance for Ohio State if they lose. Texas A&M slides in.

Notre Dame loses by 30+. Texas A&M slides in.

A Clemson loss by any amount. Texas A&M slides in. 

10 minutes ago, BTF said:

Texas A&M is out in my opinion. Here is why:

Alabama will beat Florida. Even if they don't........ They are in.

Ohio State will beat Northwestern. They are in.

Clemson will beat Notre Dame in a game decided by less than 17 points.. Both teams are in. 

No chance for Ohio State if they lose. Texas A&M slides in.

Notre Dame loses by 30+. Texas A&M slides in.

A Clemson loss by any amount. Texas A&M slides in. 

You obviously don’t know how this SEC thing works...

1 minute ago, temptation said:

You obviously don’t know how this SEC thing works...

I think this year is the exception to the rule. It's pretty much been decided on a national level that the ACC has two of the best four teams in the country. 

21 minutes ago, BTF said:

I think this year is the exception to the rule. It's pretty much been decided on a national level that the ACC has two of the best four teams in the country. 

Depends on which station you watch.

The “Notre Dame/Clemson HAD their chance” rhetoric will begin Saturday around 6pm.

23 minutes ago, temptation said:

Depends on which station you watch.

The “Notre Dame/Clemson HAD their chance” rhetoric will begin Saturday around 6pm.

Check that box for Notre Dame then since they already beat Clemson. If Clemson wins, both Clemson and Notre Dame can boast a "better win" than any other team in the country. It's a four team show in my opinion. The only team with an iffy resume is Ohio State, but I don't see them losing to Northwestern. I guess we'll have to see how Saturday plays out. 

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

Check that box for Notre Dame then since they already beat Clemson. If Clemson wins, both Clemson and Notre Dame can boast a "better win" than any other team in the country. It's a four team show in my opinion. The only team with an iffy resume is Ohio State, but I don't see them losing to Northwestern. I guess we'll have to see how Saturday plays out. 

Everyone in America has ah asterisk next to ND’s win over Clemson.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Texas A&M will slide in regardless of this weekend's outcome in my opinion.  Are you going to potentially set up a THIRD game between Clemson and ND?  This weekend's game is a quarterfinal contest.

I agree.....the ONLY chance there could be a 3rd match up is if Clemson wins. I emphasize "could". If the Irish win, there is no way you can include Clemson in the playoff in any way. 

57 minutes ago, BTF said:

Clemson wouldn't have any problems with Ohio State. They'd probably drop 50 on that defense. I think it would be a 14-21 point game. 

Speculation. That’s all anyone has from this point forward. 

Here’s what I expect to happen:

Clemson will beat Notre Dame, OSU will beat Northwestern, Bama will beat Florida. The final order will be:

1.  Alabama 2. Clemson. 3. OSU. 4. Notre Dame.  Then, in the semis, Bama will beat ND, Clemson will beat OSU. In the finals, Bama crushes Clemson. In other words, chalk.

32 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Speculation. That’s all anyone has from this point forward. 

Here’s what I expect to happen:

Clemson will beat Notre Dame, OSU will beat Northwestern, Bama will beat Florida. The final order will be:

1.  Alabama 2. Clemson. 3. OSU. 4. Notre Dame.  Then, in the semis, Bama will beat ND, Clemson will beat OSU. In the finals, Bama crushes Clemson. In other words, chalk.

I agree with everything except the part where Bama crushes Clemson. That game would be a PK in my opinion. 

Something crazy will have to happen for anyone other than those four making the playoff. Where it gets iffy is if Notre Dame were to beat Clemson in another game that goes to the wire. At that point, Clemson is still in and plays Alabama. Notre Dame squares off with Ohio State. 

There is just too big of a resume gap after Alabama, Notre Dame, and Clemson. The media clearly loves Ohio State no matter what they do. It's hard to imagine one of those teams not in the Top 4. 

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

Where it gets iffy is if Notre Dame were to beat Clemson in another game that goes to the wire. At that point, Clemson is still in and plays Alabama. Notre Dame squares off with Ohio State. 

That’s a very interesting scenario. Do you think the outcry that would result from a 2-loss non conference champion Clemson getting in would be a catalyst for expanding the field, changing the process, etc.?

49 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That’s a very interesting scenario. Do you think the outcry that would result from a 2-loss non conference champion Clemson getting in would be a catalyst for expanding the field, changing the process, etc.?

There is a wide gap between a two loss Clemson team (both close games) and Texas A&M.

I think Cincinnati and Coastal are catalysts for expanding the field. With an 8 team field, you could guarantee two spots for non-power five teams. One stipulation though. They have to be undefeated to reserve their seat in the field. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

If Notre Dame loses by 10 points to Clemson, their resume is still stronger than anyone else, including Ohio State.

I have NEVER disagreed, but your opinion and my opinion DOES not matter.  The SEC is and always has been king.

Do I want to see Bama/A&M part two?  Nope.  Will there be pressure for the CFP committee to make it happen on Saturday evening/Sunday morning?  Yep.