Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2020

Bobref

23 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Not a good look to rush the field during a pandemic 

load up on Clemson if they play again and Trevor plays easy money

Actually feel bad for Nd fans any other year they’d make the playoffs now they will get blasted by Clemson in a conference championship game and be sent to a New Years bowl

LOL. Sure. ND doubled them in rushing yards. ND has the best offensive line in college football. One of the best run defenses. Clemson threw for a ton of yards and ND still won. 

1 hour ago, wvigo13 said:

LOL. Sure. ND doubled them in rushing yards. ND has the best offensive line in college football. One of the best run defenses. Clemson threw for a ton of yards and ND still won. 

Trevor Lawrence is the best qb prospect in my lifetime born 1982

Clemson will build and early lead rendering Nd running attack useless forcing passes

2 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Not a good look to rush the field during a pandemic 

load up on Clemson if they play again and Trevor plays easy money

Actually feel bad for Nd fans any other year they’d make the playoffs now they will get blasted by Clemson in a conference championship game and be sent to a New Years bowl

I was actually encouraged by the fact that their 5 star freshman threw for over 400 yds., and the Irish still won. I don’t know how much more than that Lawrence can do in the ACC championship game. But we’ve got to get there first.

Oh yeah. Haters gonna hate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

I was actually encouraged by the fact that their 5 star freshman threw for over 400 yds., and the Irish still won. I don’t know how much more than that Lawrence can do in the ACC championship game. But we’ve got to get there first.

Oh yeah. Haters gonna hate.

Agreed. Don't think Lawrence changes much at all. 

12 minutes ago, wvigo13 said:

Agreed. Don't think Lawrence changes much at all. 

If they both win out, then the winner of the ACC championship game goes to the playoff, and that’s the end of it. So, this game won’t matter, then. The chief accomplishment here is that the Irish now know that they can go toe to toe with them. That will stand them in good stead. It also is the first really big game Kelly has won in quite a while. So, it gets that monkey off his back. No doubt a really big win for the Irish. But it merely puts them in position to cash in. They have to finish the season now.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well, that was fun. I am most encouraged by the fact that Clemson’s 5 star freshman threw for over 400 yds. ... and the Irish still won. I hope that means that - if we take care of business between now and then - we can absorb a big game by Trevor Lawrence in the ACC Championship and still win. Because you know he is going to bring it.

Lawrence’s on-field presence probably alters ND’s game plan to a degree. From the first snap, ND was committed to stacking the box and shutting down Etienne while forcing the freshman to beat them over the top. And while he threw for a ton of yards, I’m guessing ND isn’t going to do that with Lawrence in the game.

Still, a hell of a win for the Irish. Gutsy performance till the very end.

Notre Dame president now slamming students for exposing his failure: https://deadspin.com/notre-dame-president-now-slamming-students-for-exposing-1845619706

Being the parent of eight-year-old twins, I often need to be wary of worst-case scenarios.

Some benign. Will strolling past a pet store lead to my girls demanding we get a dog (full disclosure, I’m not a dog person)? Some not so benign, like will the flying monkeys scene from The Wizard of Oz give my kids nightmares? And some catastrophic, like will letting them bike too far ahead of me lead to them failing to stop at an intersection and peddling directly in front of a car?

These are calculations every parent makes, countless times, over the course of a single day. As the years go by, and you get a better grasp of your child’s tendencies. You get better at avoiding meltdowns, and sleepless nights go down. The more data you have, the better your decision-making. Analytic parenting.

When you know this, what’s happening at Notre Dame is even more befuddling.

If you don’t already know, upon upsetting No. 1 Clemson at home Saturday night, thousands of Notre Dame students rushed the field, packing those 100 yards, either completely forgetting the fact that we’re in the middle of the worst days of this nine-month long pandemic, or utterly dismissing its severity.

Of course, rushing the field after a big win is what students do, a part of going to college. Your school, your classmates just did something wonderful and you want to celebrate, unbridled. I did it when my alma mater Wisconsin upset No. 12 Ohio State back in 1992. It was the biggest win during my time in Madison. It’s the sort of college memory that lasts long after you’ve graduated. That snapshot moment when you were a part of something special in the ongoing history of your school.

Running on the field is what every student hopes to be able to do at least once before they leave school.

These are things easy to predict.

Kids make bad choices all the time; and it’s the responsibility of parents to help them make good ones by taking bad ones away. In this case, the parents are Notre Dame administrators.

If you’re going to be playing football during a pandemic, and possibly subjecting “student-athletes” to the virus by making them participate in practices and meetings with others and travel, you need to think of the worst-case scenarios. And if you’re going to put unpaid labor in harm’s way, you need to think about what will happen if you put 11,011 people in the stands.

The pro leagues haven’t had an incident like this in some time. It of course happened in the NBA and in Major League Baseball, fans rushing the field as players plowed through them on the way to the locker room or clubhouse. But security details and law enforcement have been used to put a stop to it. The adults in the room learned from the past and put in procedures to put a stop to it. And you never see fans rushing NFL games. It just doesn’t happen.

I wonder how the players feel, knowing that they were put in such a position, the school failing to protect them.

Were Notre Dame students foolish for rushing the field, some wearing masks, some not? Yes. Should administrators have anticipated the possibility of such an even, when playing the No. 1 team in the country? Yes.

If you’re going to have fans in the stands to begin with, and talk about following proper COVID protocol, failing to anticipate students rushing the field is a failure on part of the university.

And to have this happen just weeks before students leave campus and return home for Thanksgiving is incredibly dangerous.

That last part is when the school put on its big-boy pants and is finally stepping in. Sunday night, the school’s president, Rev. John L. Jenkins issued a stern statement mandating students are prohibited from leaving campus without getting tested for the coronavirus. Students who fail to do so will have their records withheld, meaning students will be unable to “matriculate or register for classes next semester or receive a transcript.”

Here’s some more from Jenkins’ statement:

“We recognize that such steps may require some to adjust plans and schedules, but these obligations are critical for your health, as well as the health of our campus, our local community, and the communities to which you will travel for break. The grave circumstances of this pandemic compel us to take these exceptional measures.”

If Jenkins’ name sounds familiar, he’s the one who likely contracted COVID-19 at the White House superspreader event when President Trump introduced Notre Dame law professor as a Supreme Court nominee. Jenkins, like many others at that event, wasn’t wearing a mask.

But now, he’s punishing his students for failing to consider a worst-case scenario of having students in the stands at a college football game during a pandemic. Nowhere in his statement does it say that fans will no longer be allowed at the school’s remaining game on December 5. That should have been the first thing announced in this statement, along with a mea culpa for failing to do his job. Oftentimes, as the parent, you have to protect your kids from themselves. He failed to do so.

All these kids need to be tested before they go home and spread the virus as they’re passing the stuffing and gravy in a little over two weeks. The students were in error when they ran onto the field in that mass gathering, but let’s not forget the administrators’ role in this. They’re first error was having students in the building in the first place, followed by their second one of not having security in place to prevent it.

They should have seen that scene coming.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah, I'm not up to speed on all things snobbery in South Bend, but didn't he catch Covid from attending a DC gathering? 

He did, but when you only win of these big game every 25 years or so students are going to storm the field, pandemic or not. But I also read or heard that all students at the game were tested earlier in the week to be allowed into the game. Regardless, covid report yesterday for the ND football team showed only 2 cases which must have been positive cases before the Clemson game since the report said that the 2 players were not at the game on Saturday. So take that for what it's worth until the next report comes out...

On 11/8/2020 at 6:38 PM, Bobref said:

If they both win out, then the winner of the ACC championship game goes to the playoff, and that’s the end of it. So, this game won’t matter, then. The chief accomplishment here is that the Irish now know that they can go toe to toe with them. That will stand them in good stead. It also is the first really big game Kelly has won in quite a while. So, it gets that monkey off his back. No doubt a really big win for the Irish. But it merely puts them in position to cash in. They have to finish the season now.

I agree Bob.  The winner of the ACC championship goes to the playoff and the loser gets a nice bowl game.   I hate to disagree with some people but Lawrence will make all the difference in the ACC title game.   He is the leader of that team and has been for the past few years.  There's a difference between being a 5 start recruit and throwing  for zillion yards and being the guy the team rallies around.  Lawrence wouldn't have had to throw for 400 yards and Clemson would have won.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I agree Bob.  The winner of the ACC championship goes to the playoff and the loser gets a nice bowl game.   I hate to disagree with some people but Lawrence will make all the difference in the ACC title game.   He is the leader of that team and has been for the past few years.  There's a difference between being a 5 start recruit and throwing  for zillion yards and being the guy the team rallies around.  Lawrence wouldn't have had to throw for 400 yards and Clemson would have won.

I guess we’ll never know. I just hope we get the chance to do it again on a big stage. We’ll either silence the doubters then, or we won’t. I’m good with that.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bobref said:

I guess we’ll never know. I just hope we get the chance to do it again on a big stage. We’ll either silence the doubters then, or we won’t. I’m good with that.

We will never know for just that one game.  However, Lawrence had them on a 36 game winning streak.   He sits out one game, they lose.   Without Lawrence, I expected ND to win.  I just didn't think it would be in double OT.  If they beat Clemson with Lawrence, then I'd say they are good and worthy of a spot in the playoffs.  I don't think Book will play well enough on the big stage for ND to win the ACC title.  Just a feeling.

51 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

We will never know for just that one game.  However, Lawrence had them on a 36 game winning streak.   He sits out one game, they lose.   Without Lawrence, I expected ND to win.  I just didn't think it would be in double OT.  If they beat Clemson with Lawrence, then I'd say they are good and worthy of a spot in the playoffs.  I don't think Book will play well enough on the big stage for ND to win the ACC title.  Just a feeling.

I have a lot of that same feeling. But based on Book’s performance last week, I’m willing to accept the possibility that he has finally overcome whatever barrier there was to him getting to that next level. It looked like he and some of those promising receivers were finally getting on the same page. He’s got 4 very winnable games left to really fine tune the passing game. This is no time to let up on the gas. They need to take these next 4 opponents to the woodshed to create momentum going into the ACC championship game.

• Like 1

Give credit to BC; they came to win, and it looked good early on. This was a sloppy game for the Irish, in all phases of the game. Missed tackles, big penalties and turnovers need to be cleaned up. I like seeing the passing game to the backs out of the back field, and the short throws to their tight ends. They did not seem to be going deep as much as they did against Clemson. Book being a bigger part of the run game was big as well. 

That’s two consecutive impressive games by Book. Dare we hope that he has finally turned the corner, and become the guy who can win a big game, rather than just play not to lose it?

And that new receiver group is really beginning to jell. Now that the Skowronek kid from Ft. Wayne is healthy, he’s turned into a real big play guy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Irish had a lackluster first half and a better second half, especially defensively, in their win over North Carolina.  They need to play better overall if they do make it to the CFB playoffs.  Book's back handed flip to freshman TE Mayer was one for the books!