Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2020

Bobref

Notre Dame had three nice drives at the beginning of the game, but only scored 3 points.  The biggest play of the game was a wide open 4th down pass that Book threw behind the receiver.

I'm not sure the Irish belong in the CFP's after the game today.  Of course Clemson is a different team with Trevor Lawrence behind center.  He's cemented his Heisman today.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:04 AM, Whiting89 said:

Not a good look to rush the field during a pandemic 

load up on Clemson if they play again and Trevor plays easy money

Actually feel bad for Nd fans any other year they’d make the playoffs now they will get blasted by Clemson in a conference championship game and be sent to a New Years bowl

Why can’t I listen to myself and make easy money?

no I did teasers and totals and lost them all should of just did Clemson ATS

There are a lot of nay sayers who will make ridiculous comments like ND was overrated, should have never been where they were, etc. But the fact is that you can plug any team into the 4th spot in the CFP rankings, and they face the same outcome. The gap between those 3 top teams and everyone else is so wide, it does not matter if it is Iowa State, ND, Florida, etc.......any number of teams, they will get throttled by any of those top 3 programs. The reality was that ND earned this spot. Another fact is that ND was exposed as far as just how wide the gap from the top 3 to the rest is. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

There are a lot of nay sayers who will make ridiculous comments like ND was overrated, should have never been where they were, etc. But the fact is that you can plug any team into the 4th spot in the CFP rankings, and they face the same outcome. The gap between those 3 top teams and everyone else is so wide, it does not matter if it is Iowa State, ND, Florida, etc.......any number of teams, they will get throttled by any of those top 3 programs. The reality was that ND earned this spot. Another fact is that ND was exposed as far as just how wide the gap from the top 3 to the rest is. 

Do we honestly believe there is a gap between Ohio State and everyone else? I understand that Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State have almost all of the 5 star football players. But Alabama and Clemson have Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney. I think the Buckeyes fit in nicely with Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and Florida. They don't deserve to be put on a pedestal with the best. Ohio State won't be any more competitive against Clemson than the Irish were last night. 

So who should Alabama play in the first round? A team they already beat by 4 touchdowns or a team that beat Clemson, beat a very good NC team, and was undefeated before facing arguably the best team in the country in a "revenge" game? 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

Do we honestly believe there is a gap between Ohio State and everyone else? I understand that Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State have almost all of the 5 star football players. But Alabama and Clemson have Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney. I think the Buckeyes fit in nicely with Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and Florida. They don't deserve to be put on a pedestal with the best. Ohio State won't be any more competitive against Clemson than the Irish were last night. 

So who should Alabama play in the first round? A team they already beat by 4 touchdowns or a team that beat Clemson, beat a very good NC team, and was undefeated before facing arguably the best team in the country in a "revenge" game? 

I see your argument here dude but you’ve got to let it go.

Based on what you saw last night, do you really want to see ND take a 30 point beat down at the hands of Alabama?

Venables had Rees guessing all night.  It was men against boys.  Bama will do the same.

If I’m an ND fan, I take my NY6 bowl game, in which I should be favored and continue to sell a positive trajectory to recruits after a big bowl win.

As for OSU, Day didn’t remember he had a running game that was averaging 7 yards per carry until the second half.  His pass first mentality blinded him to the fact that the winning game plan was pretty simple.  I’m betting he was overconfident and was seeking style points early, and then it just became about winning the game in the second half.  They nearly covered the spread despite sleep walking through two-thirds of the game on offense and missing 22 players.

They may be a notch below Clemson and Bama but they are the closest competitor.  

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

I see your argument here dude but you’ve got to let it go.

Based on what you saw last night, do you really want to see ND take a 30 point beat down at the hands of Alabama?

Venables had Rees guessing all night.  It was men against boys.  Bama will do the same.

If I’m an ND fan, I take my NY6 bowl game, in which I should be favored and continue to sell a positive trajectory to recruits after a big bowl win.

As for OSU, Day didn’t remember he had a running game that was averaging 7 yards per carry until the second half.  His pass first mentality blinded him to the fact that the winning game plan was pretty simple.  I’m betting he was overconfident and was seeking style points early, and then it just became about winning the game in the second half.  They nearly covered the spread despite sleep walking through two-thirds of the game on offense and missing 22 players.

They may be a notch below Clemson and Bama but they are the closest competitor.  

So is it "dude" or "chief"? Make up your mind disrespectful young one. I'm not sure if you've ever had any mentors in your life, but someone needs to tell you to quit referring to people in that manor. I will continue to discuss football with you as you seem to have a pretty solid grip on reality when it comes to the sport. 

Notre Dame should be in the playoff based on principle. Their resume is better than anyone else's. Will Notre Dame get waxed by Alabama? There is a good chance of that happening. The safe bet is to take the NY6 game like you suggest and end on a positive note. I get that and it would probably be the best thing for Notre Dame. But who in the hell wants to see a repeat of Alabama blowing A&M out? 

If it's not broke, don't fix it. When your team is averaging over 5 yards per carry, there isn't much point in keeping the defense honest when you have an offensive line capable of bullying their opponent. I've been saying that for decades. 

Say what you want, but Ohio State won't do any better than Notre Dame against Clemson. Take that to the bank and get back to me when it's over. 

32 minutes ago, BTF said:

So is it "dude" or "chief"? Make up your mind disrespectful young one. I'm not sure if you've ever had any mentors in your life, but someone needs to tell you to quit referring to people in that manor. I will continue to discuss football with you as you seem to have a pretty solid grip on reality when it comes to the sport. 

Notre Dame should be in the playoff based on principle. Their resume is better than anyone else's. Will Notre Dame get waxed by Alabama? There is a good chance of that happening. The safe bet is to take the NY6 game like you suggest and end on a positive note. I get that and it would probably be the best thing for Notre Dame. But who in the hell wants to see a repeat of Alabama blowing A&M out? 

If it's not broke, don't fix it. When your team is averaging over 5 yards per carry, there isn't much point in keeping the defense honest when you have an offensive line capable of bullying their opponent. I've been saying that for decades. 

Say what you want, but Ohio State won't do any better than Notre Dame against Clemson. Take that to the bank and get back to me when it's over. 

Dog, I have agreed with you from DAY ONE that based on principle, ND should be in.  We are in full agreement on that.  You are confusing the two.

The narrative is now being pushed that Notre Dame HAD its chance and that A&M is the “hot team” and deserves its “revenge opportunity.”  I am not saying I agree but I told you this before kickoff yesterday.

I agree that OSU will likely suffer the same fate as ND but they haven’t had the chance to prove otherwise, whereas ND did.

Edited by temptation

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

Dog, I have agreed with you from DAY ONE that based on principle, ND should be in.  We are in full agreement on that.  You are confusing the two.

The narrative is now being pushed that Notre Dame HAD its chance and that A&M is the “hot team” and deserves its “revenge opportunity.”  I am not saying I agree but I told you this before kickoff yesterday.

I agree that OSU will likely suffer the same fate as ND but they haven’t had the chance to prove otherwise, whereas ND did.

Ok Kent Harvey. 

Interesting quote from Dabo: "Absolutely, Notre Dame deserves to be in — because they're daggone 10-1," Swinney said after Saturday's game. "They've played 11 games. They lost to Clemson, all right? They stepped in the ring with Clemson twice — won one and lost one — and there was, obviously, didn't go their way tonight but that's football. They played 11 games and absolutely they deserve to be in. Ain't no doubt about that. No way would I punish someone for playing more games. That's what we see. We're rewarding people for playing less games, punishing people for playing more and I don't get that. There's no doubt in my mind Notre Dame should be in."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Interesting quote from Dabo: "Absolutely, Notre Dame deserves to be in — because they're daggone 10-1," Swinney said after Saturday's game. "They've played 11 games. They lost to Clemson, all right? They stepped in the ring with Clemson twice — won one and lost one — and there was, obviously, didn't go their way tonight but that's football. They played 11 games and absolutely they deserve to be in. Ain't no doubt about that. No way would I punish someone for playing more games. That's what we see. We're rewarding people for playing less games, punishing people for playing more and I don't get that. There's no doubt in my mind Notre Dame should be in."

They're in. https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-alabama-clemson-ohio-state-and-notre-dame-make-the-field-172903701.html

Edited by gonzoron

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Always has a way with words and an ulterior motive.  Notre Dame being in elevates his team’s resume because now he can both be a fellow playoff team by four scores.

That being said.  They are in.  Congrats Irish faithful.  You’ve gained a fan for one more game.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Always has a way with words and an ulterior motive.  Notre Dame being in elevates his team’s resume because now he can both be a fellow playoff team by four scores.

That being said.  They are in.  Congrats Irish faithful.  You’ve gained a fan for one more game.

“Boast he beat a playoff team by 4 scores.”

lol.

4 hours ago, BTF said:

I agree with what you say!  Clemson and Alabama are in a league by themselves.  Clemson will clean up on tOSU just as they did yesterday against the Irish.  IMO, Clemson will win the National Championship because they play some defense.

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I agree with what you say!  Clemson and Alabama are in a league by themselves.  Clemson will clean up on tOSU just as they did yesterday against the Irish.  IMO, Clemson will win the National Championship because they play some defense.

Was it just me or did Notre Dame look like they played the rest of the game deflated after going inside the 30 three possessions in a row and coming away with only 3 points?

• 2 weeks later...

That Book pass, that was unbelievably under thrown, is exactly why I never have faith in ND to win the big game. 

Put it out in front of Mayer and let him run. 

Unreal from a QB that has as much experience as that. 

Not gonna matter, but the officials blew a call at the 1006 mark on Books TD pass to Mayer. They called an illegal shift on 25 and 85. 25 shifted out of the back field to a WR spot creating an empty set. All legal formation prior and at the snap. They just bungled it. Bama holds at 843. 

That cost them 6, potentially 7-8 points. Oh well. The refs didn’t throw an interception or not able to cover Smith. 

While the Irish showed up better here than they did in the ACC Championship, there is still a gap....a significant one. One thing ND was able to hide for all but the two games agains Clemson and this game is that the secondary was really subpar. The defensive front played ok for a good part. Bama was never threatened in this game, so ND has some catching up to do. As I said before, is the school willing to take some risks to get over that hump? 
The odds that Bama does this in the championship game as well? The secondary for both  Clemson and OSU will have the same struggles. 

5 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Another embarrassing effort by ND how do they keep getting in these big games? 

You cannot say their record and schedule for this year should not have had them in this game. Should A&M have been here? Cincinnati? No way to either of those. This is more about the gap between both Bama and Clemson and the rest of the field. 

5 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I see nothing wrong with today's Irish effort.  It was a whole lot better than the last Clemson debacle.  The talent difference is enormous!

Clemson will clean 'Bama's clock!  Bet the farm!

While the final score against Florida may have been closer, it really was not that close. Head to head matters too. It’s a bad look to have Bama beat Florida in the SEC Championship and then play them again two weeks later in the CFP. And yeah, when a team loses THREE times, the committee will and SHOULD give more weight to losses. There is no circumstance where a 3 loss team will EVER get into a 4 team playoff. 

Just now, Whiting89 said:

All I’m saying using Vegas odds Florida, Oklahoma,Georgia, Texas A&M, and possibly cinncy would of got less points. Florida played bama much close than ND. But the committee weighs wins and losses too much when making these selections. 

Doesn't matter how you slice it. Notre Dame is as good as anyone in the country not named Alabama or Clemson. The committee chose the four best teams in the country and Notre Dame was one of those teams. Both the AP and Coaches poll also had them at number 4 as well.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Huge realistic ND fan here, but your post is awful. 

41 minutes ago, Irishman said:

While the Irish showed up better here than they did in the ACC Championship, there is still a gap....a significant one. One thing ND was able to hide for all but the two games agains Clemson and this game is that the secondary was really subpar. The defensive front played ok for a good part. Bama was never threatened in this game, so ND has some catching up to do. As I said before, is the school willing to take some risks to get over that hump? 
The odds that Bama does this in the championship game as well? The secondary for both  Clemson and OSU will have the same struggles. 

You cannot say their record and schedule for this year should not have had them in this game. Should A&M have been here? Cincinnati? No way to either of those. This is more about the gap between both Bama and Clemson and the rest of the field. 

Facts. 

31 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

All I’m saying using Vegas odds Florida, Oklahoma,Georgia, Texas A&M, and possibly cinncy would of got less points. Florida played bama much close than ND. But the committee weighs wins and losses too much when making these selections. 

Maybe add VU to your list too.