Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Another Playoff Changing Thought

I'm liking Ohio's COVID tournament set up currently. They normally play 10 game regular seasons with playoffs that you have to qualify for and are seeded. This year they're playing 6 regular season games before the tournament that is all in if you opt to participate. It is still seeded like before, but after losing in the playoffs you can schedule up to 3 regular season games depending on when you lose in the playoffs to get the normal 10 games. I think this could really be beneficial for programs having tough years with young teams. More games those teams get at the end of the year, the better. Not necessarily would you have more games, still the same number, but most likely with teams in similar circumstances allowing teams to improve instead of getting throttled by 35+ to end their season. 

43 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

I'm liking Ohio's COVID tournament set up currently. They normally play 10 game regular seasons with playoffs that you have to qualify for and are seeded. This year they're playing 6 regular season games before the tournament that is all in if you opt to participate. It is still seeded like before, but after losing in the playoffs you can schedule up to 3 regular season games depending on when you lose in the playoffs to get the normal 10 games. I think this could really be beneficial for programs having tough years with young teams. More games those teams get at the end of the year, the better. Not necessarily would you have more games, still the same number, but most likely with teams in similar circumstances allowing teams to improve instead of getting throttled by 35+ to end their season. 

In order for change to occur the pain associated with staying the same must exceed that associated with change.... don’t think we’re there yet

• Haha 1

Plus if we drop too many games we will have conference that will have teams that don't play everyone or everyone in there division.  We would then have conference champions decided by who got lucky and didn't have to play someone.

In another thread they mentioned neutral regional and semi-state.  I could see that happening before this idea.

2 minutes ago, LouH said:

Plus if we drop too many games we will have conference that will have teams that don't play everyone or everyone in there division.  We would then have conference champions decided by who got lucky and didn't have to play someone.

In another thread they mentioned neutral regional and semi-state.  I could see that happening before this idea.

Frankly, the direction in which the conference model seems to be headed - increasingly “closed” conferences with fewer and fewer non-conference scheduling opportunities - is detrimental to high school football. I would simply do away with the conference format and go to districts by class... with opportunities for some out of district/class games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Frankly, the direction in which the conference model seems to be headed - increasingly “closed” conferences with fewer and fewer non-conference scheduling opportunities - is detrimental to high school football. I would simply do away with the conference format and go to districts by class... with opportunities for some out of district/class games.

I think that was what the old cluster system was if I remember right.

2 minutes ago, sr1 said:

I think that was what the old cluster system was if I remember right.

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Just ask Illinois how much they love that....particularly the rural areas.

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Idea is to get away from the 10 or so team conferences and maybe top out at 6 or 7. Let's say 6 conference foes that you play in the beginning of the season. Then week 7 is first round of playoffs. You lose in week 7 but can schedule weeks 8 to 10 for regular season games to play other teams knocked out.

16 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Idea is to get away from the 10 or so team conferences and maybe top out at 6 or 7. Let's say 6 conference foes that you play in the beginning of the season. Then week 7 is first round of playoffs. You lose in week 7 but can schedule weeks 8 to 10 for regular season games to play other teams knocked out.

Without having to earn your way into the playoffs, you still have up to a 9 game exhibition season. You’ve just changed the order.

• Like 1

I'm not aware of any conferences that have more than 10 members so in our current 9 week format, means you at least get to play everyone in your conference without any non-conference games (SAC is the one conference that comes to mind and I'm sure there are more). Have always been a proponent of adding a tenth regular season game and then eliminating half the field at the conclusion of the regular season. That allows you to start and end the season on the same dates under the current. Adding a tenth regular season game would allow every school to schedule at least one non-conference game and in some cases 3-4 for the smaller conferences. Also a proponent of a series of "bowl games" to be held during the week of the first round of the sectionals for teams that didn't qualify. In my qualifier you're guaranteed at least 10 games (same number as the current all-in format) with the option to play an 11th. 

That district plan in Illinois resulted in Mt. Carmel dropping out of the Big 8. The Big 8 was then down to 6 teams which lead to the end of the Big 8 with two teams going to the SIAC and the other four going to the PAC. Then Illinois said never mind, we are not going to do the district plan. 

3 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Is Illinois still going to implement districts, or was the plan scrapped?

They did end up scrapping it because it was going to be a sh!t show with travel etc. for the rural teams.

Edited by Titan32