Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The case for Iowa State

BTF

There is no case. It's almost embarrassing to see them ranked that high. And it really makes you question the mental stability of those on the committee. They are a two loss team in arguably the worst Power Five football conference. They were waxed by a team that has a better record and is ranked 13 spots behind them. They have close victories over Texas and Oklahoma. Sure the Oklahoma win would have been impressive four years ago. Texas? Great if we go back to the 90's. But this is the year 2020 and the Big 12 stinks. 

It reminds me of last year when they beat Texas and lost to Oklahoma and Baylor by a combined three points. Iowa State is this, Iowa State is that. Then they actually played a good team that resided on the eastern half of the country and got waxed 33-9. The exact thing would happen this year. Notre Dame and Ohio State would beat them by two or three touchdowns. We're probably talking four or five touchdowns against Clemson or Alabama. 

Iowa State ranked ahead of Indiana? Really?......................................Florida and Georga? C'mon man! LA-Lafayette? Are we being serious right now?

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

There is no case. It's almost embarrassing to see them ranked that high. And it really makes you question the mental stability of those on the committee. They are a two loss team in arguably the worst Power Five football conference. They were waxed by a team that has a better record and is ranked 13 spots behind them. They have close victories over Texas and Oklahoma. Sure the Oklahoma win would have been impressive four years ago. Texas? Great if we go back to the 90's. But this is the year 2020 and the Big 12 stinks. 

It reminds me of last year when they beat Texas and lost to Oklahoma and Baylor by a combined three points. Iowa State is this, Iowa State is that. Then they actually played a good team that resided on the eastern half of the country and got waxed 33-9. The exact thing would happen this year. Notre Dame and Ohio State would beat them by two or three touchdowns. We're probably talking four or five touchdowns against Clemson or Alabama. 

Iowa State ranked ahead of Indiana? Really?......................................Florida and Georga? C'mon man! LA-Lafayette? Are we being serious right now?

Gimme Indiana’s best win and a projected score were they to play Florida or Georgia on a neutral field.

Edited by temptation

Indiana's best win was on the road against a good Wisconsin team. They took Ohio State to the wire in Columbus. Everyone else they beat in convincing fashion other than Penn State. 

I'll take Georgia and Florida by 9 in IU's current state. I would give them both 3 against the Hoosiers if Penix were healthy. And I'm really giving those teams the benefit of the doubt since they are in the SEC. With any luck, we'll find out the real answer on New Years Day.  Not sure what any of this has to do with IU being better than Iowa State. 

I think most are still struggling with the idea that IU has a pretty darn good football team. Good offense, good defense. If we are talking "eye test," they pass with flying colors. Hard to deny that. 

48 minutes ago, BTF said:

Indiana's best win was on the road against a good Wisconsin team. They took Ohio State to the wire in Columbus. Everyone else they beat in convincing fashion other than Penn State. 

I'll take Georgia and Florida by 9 in IU's current state. I would give them both 3 against the Hoosiers if Penix were healthy. And I'm really giving those teams the benefit of the doubt since they are in the SEC. With any luck, we'll find out the real answer on New Years Day.  Not sure what any of this has to do with IU being better than Iowa State. 

I think most are still struggling with the idea that IU has a pretty darn good football team. Good offense, good defense. If we are talking "eye test," they pass with flying colors. Hard to deny that. 

1.  A 2-3 record indicates that this is NOT "a good Wisconsin team."

2.  Road wins mean less in 2020 than ever and I could actually make a case that playing on the road is an ADVANTAGE in the current setup.

3.  Penn State is 3-5.  They are also not a good team that is worth boasting about.  Teams ARE what they ARE at this point in the season.

4.  I used to get upset about these things, but as I mentioned in the Notre Dame thread, SEC teams ALWAYS get a bump.  Hell, A&M is likely getting a free pass to the playoff despite not winning its OWN division after this weekend's games shake out.

5.  You used "Iowa State" in your title to simply push your "IU is getting screwed" agenda.  

6.  I couldn't care less that IU is a good football team.  Its actually pretty damn cool to see.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

1.  A 2-3 record indicates that this is NOT "a good Wisconsin team."

2.  Road wins mean less in 2020 than ever and I could actually make a case that playing on the road is an ADVANTAGE in the current setup.

3.  Penn State is 3-5.  They are also not a good team that is worth boasting about.  Teams ARE what they ARE at this point in the season.

4.  I used to get upset about these things, but as I mentioned in the Notre Dame thread, SEC teams ALWAYS get a bump.  Hell, A&M is likely getting a free pass to the playoff despite not winning its OWN division after this weekend's games shake out.

5.  You used "Iowa State" in your title to simply push your "IU is getting screwed" agenda.  

6.  I couldn't care less that IU is a good football team.  Its actually pretty damn cool to see.

1.   Losing to Iowa, Indiana, and Northwestern doesn't necessarily disqualify them from Top 25 status.

2.   Not sure how you can make a case for getting on a bus or a plane and then sleeping in a hotel room being an advantage. 

3.   I don't recall boasting about Penn State. Although you could give IU credit for sending them on a downward spiral. 

4.   Agree. We'll find out how much that is justified this postseason. 

5.   False. I just think Iowa State at #6 is rather insulting. If you actually think I had an agenda, it would be more accurate to say "LA-Lafayette is getting screwed." They are the ones who beat ISU by two touchdowns, not IU. 

6.   I'm especially happy for Tom Allen. I always felt like he was a great individual. I also thought that IU blew it when hiring him. How wrong I was. 

33 minutes ago, BTF said:

1.   Losing to Iowa, Indiana, and Northwestern doesn't necessarily disqualify them from Top 25 status.

2.   Not sure how you can make a case for getting on a bus or a plane and then sleeping in a hotel room being an advantage. 

3.   I don't recall boasting about Penn State. Although you could give IU credit for sending them on a downward spiral. 

4.   Agree. We'll find out how much that is justified this postseason. 

5.   False. I just think Iowa State at #6 is rather insulting. If you actually think I had an agenda, it would be more accurate to say "LA-Lafayette is getting screwed." They are the ones who beat ISU by two touchdowns, not IU. 

6.   I'm especially happy for Tom Allen. I always felt like he was a great individual. I also thought that IU blew it when hiring him. How wrong I was. 

I like this game.

1.  When you’ve only played FIVE games, three losses (regardless of who they are to) disqualifies you from being given the title of “good team.”

2.  Home teams just look flat more often than not.  The Big Ten boasts the CATHEDRAL’S of college football.  The BEST home field advantage in America when packed.  It’s not intimidating to go and play in front of 100k empty seats.

3.  Maybe IU does deserve some credit for PSU’s spiral but they had plenty of time to right the ship and failed to do so until it was too late.

4.  Non power 5’s always get screwed which is why the system is still broken and why the NCAA basketball tournament remains the greatest sporting event on Earth.  They’ll never have a prayer in a 4 team playoff.

5.  I too, was never much of a believer in Allen.

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

I like this game.

1.  When you’ve only played FIVE games, three losses (regardless of who they are to) disqualifies you from being given the title of “good team.”

2.  Home teams just look flat more often than not.  The Big Ten boasts the CATHEDRAL’S of college football.  The BEST home field advantage in America when packed.  It’s not intimidating to go and play in front of 100k empty seats.

3.  Maybe IU does deserve some credit for PSU’s spiral but they had plenty of time to right the ship and failed to do so until it was too late.

4.  Non power 5’s always get screwed which is why the system is still broken and why the NCAA basketball tournament remains the greatest sporting event on Earth.  They’ll never have a prayer in a 4 team playoff.

5.  I too, was never much of a believer in Allen.

1.   So what qualifies you as a good football team out of 130 Division l programs? Can we agree on the Top 30, leaving the other 100 teams out? The teams Wisconsin lost to are ranked 11, 14, and 16 respectively. If you think only 16 teams should qualify for "good team" status, then you make a pretty good argument. However, Sagarin has Wisconsin as the 12th best team in the country. Wisconsin not a good team? Not buying it. 

2.   Agree. Home field advantage is not the same when there are no one in the stands. However, there's still that level of comfort playing on your own field rather than getting on a plane, sleeping in a hotel, and using the visitors locker room. Can we at least agree that there is SOME advantage?

3.   Agree. One game shouldn't dictate how you play the rest of the season. Notre Dame didn't collapse when Michigan handed it to them last year. Difference in coaching?

4.   That's sad. I would much rather see an undefeated Coastal or Cincinnati over a two loss Georgia, Florida, or Iowa State. Time for eight teams? Six Power Five (including independents) and two outside the Power 5?

5.   Hard not to be now. I hope he stays at IU no matter how much anyone throws at him. The grass isn't always greener. 

30 minutes ago, temptation said:

The Big Ten boasts the CATHEDRAL’S of college football.  The BEST home field advantage in America when packed.

A bold, unprovable, and undoubtedly wrong statement. The B1G has some great venues, no doubt. But I can name 3 places that are bigger nightmares for visitors than any B1G venue.

1. Ever seen a night game down on the bayou at LSU?  UNTIL 2015 THEY HAD AN ACTUAL FULL GROWN BENGAL TIGER AT THE GAMES. You want to talk about intimidating?

2. Why do you think they call Clemson “Death Valley?”

https://clemsontigers.com/death-valley/

3. Bryant-Denny Stadium at Alabama is the stuff of nightmares for visitors.

image.png.20c8abd77ae71593388e7c845996b339.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

A bold, unprovable, and undoubtedly wrong statement. The B1G has some great venues, no doubt. But I can name 3 places that are bigger nightmares for visitors than any B1G venue.

1. Ever seen a night game down on the bayou at LSU?  UNTIL 2015 THEY HAD AN ACTUAL FULL GROWN BENGAL TIGER AT THE GAMES. You want to talk about intimidating?

2. Why do you think they call Clemson “Death Valley?”

https://clemsontigers.com/death-valley/

3. Bryant-Denny Stadium at Alabama is the stuff of nightmares for visitors.

image.png.20c8abd77ae71593388e7c845996b339.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just speaking from experience as a fan more so than anything.  I've only had the pleasure of visiting ONE SEC stadium in my lifetime.  The B10 loves its football, as does the SEC.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BTF said:

Indiana was behind OSU 35-7 early in the 3rd Qrt.  I turned off the game and went fishing.  I think Ohio State let up in the second half and gave up several uncharacteristic big plays.  I dont believe the game was as close as the final score indicated.

I would take both FL and GA as a 2TD favorite over IU, on any field.  There is such a huge talent disrecpency between these rosters that the game should not be close.  IUs pixxy dust is about to run out.  Congrats on a great season, but the record is more indicative of a very weak and COVID impacted schedule than a very strong IU football team

1 minute ago, DT said:

Indiana was behind OSU 35-7 early in the 3rd Qrt.  I turned off the game and went fishing.  I think Ohio State let up in the second half and gave up several uncharacteristic big plays.  I dont believe the game was as close as the final score indicated.

I would take both FL and GA as a 2TD favorite over IU, on any field.  There is such a huge talent disrecpency between these rosters that the game should not be close.  IUs pixxy dust is about to run out.  Congrats on a great season, but the record is more indicative of a very weak and COVID impacted schedule than a very strong IU football team

Indiana looked flustered and unprepared for a game of that magnitude. Not a slam on the coaching, it's just that they aren't used to being in a spotlight game like that. Once they got their bearings straight, they pretty much dominated the Buckeyes. Can we agree that IU has a better defense than OSU? That both teams have explosive offenses..........a decent edge going to the Buckeyes? Of course I'm speaking of IU with a healthy Penix. I personally feel like Ohio State is overrated and aren't much better, if at all, than Florida and A&M. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Indiana looked flustered and unprepared for a game of that magnitude. Not a slam on the coaching, it's just that they aren't used to being in a spotlight game like that. Once they got their bearings straight, they pretty much dominated the Buckeyes. Can we agree that IU has a better defense than OSU? That both teams have explosive offenses..........a decent edge going to the Buckeyes? Of course I'm speaking of IU with a healthy Penix. I personally feel like Ohio State is overrated and aren't much better, if at all, than Florida and A&M. 

This OSU team is not as talented as the past few seasons.  They have lost a ton of talent to early NFL draft picks.  Even given that, they are a roster loaded with 4 and 5 star talent while IU is stocked with 2 and 3 star players.  OSU would beat IU 9 out of 10 times IMO.  I think they played poorly that day.  their season has been disrupted several times and they never reached full strength.  yet they are still so highly regarded that they almost get a playoff spot by default.  

1 minute ago, DT said:

This OSU team is not as talented as the past few seasons.  They have lost a ton of talent to early NFL draft picks.  Even given that, they are a roster loaded with 4 and 5 star talent while IU is stocked with 2 and 3 star players.  OSU would beat IU 9 out of 10 times IMO.  I think they played poorly that day.  their season has been disrupted several times and they never reached full strength.  yet they are still so highly regarded that they almost get a playoff spot by default.  

I'm a little biased toward the Hoosiers, I admit. But I think Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are in a different league right now. Bama and Clemson have explosive offenses while the Irish have an incredible defense. The Buckeyes lose to all three. 

What about the original purpose of this thread. Your thoughts on Iowa State? They don't have any good wins in my opinion. The Big 12 is weak. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I'm a little biased toward the Hoosiers, I admit. But I think Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame are in a different league right now. Bama and Clemson have explosive offenses while the Irish have an incredible defense. The Buckeyes lose to all three. 

What about the original purpose of this thread. Your thoughts on Iowa State? They don't have any good wins in my opinion. The Big 12 is weak. 

Im biased towards IU as well.  But Im trying to be as realirstic as possible.  Note that Bama, Clemson and ND have all played a full schedule.  OSU has played a half schedule.  Based on what I am seeing , Alabama is starting to pull away from the pack again.  And their recruiting just gets stronger and stronger.

As far as the rankings are concerned, its been a weird year when you see teams like IU, Iowa State, Cincy, BYU, etc in or near the Top 10 and in the bowl discussion.  It just further shows how screwed up college football is this year.  Look at a program like Wisconsin,.   They may have been set back 3 to 5 years by COVID, while a team like ND has had little to no impact.

51 minutes ago, DT said:

I'll take it a step further....10/10.  The talent discrepancy is one thing.  OSU is usually good for sleep walking through one game per season (still waiting on it to be Michigan, lol) and this was it.  They built a big lead and put things on cruise control.  Is their defense suspect?  Sure.  But in 2020 a good defense is secondary to a good offense when it comes to being elite.  You need a competent defense that can capitalize off of the opposition's mistakes, get an occasional stop (especially in the red zone, and create turnovers.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I'll take it a step further....10/10.  The talent discrepancy is one thing.  OSU is usually good for sleep walking through one game per season (still waiting on it to be Michigan, lol) and this was it.  They built a big lead and put things on cruise control.  Is their defense suspect?  Sure.  But in 2020 a good defense is secondary to a good offense when it comes to being elite.  You need a competent defense that can capitalize off of the opposition's mistakes, get an occasional stop (especially in the red zone, and create turnovers.

No, IU was playing flustered, then they woke up................8/10

3 hours ago, DT said:

I think you're full of it. IU has been big play oriented all season. Did OSU's offense let up too?  Fields generated one scoring drive in the 2nd half. 

Did you catch a nice bass then let up after that?  How are all those blue gill?

2 hours ago, temptation said:

How these teams would fare through 10 years irrelevant. We're talking 2020. And the team IU puts on the field this season is special. Your definition of a good team describes Indiana to a tee. They create turnovers and capitalize on them.

35 minutes ago, temptation said:

Ok chief, not going down this rabbit hole.  

It’s irrelevant.

OSU's advantage this year is not based on talent.  It's based on reputation. They have played practically the same schedule.  Results are similar. But they started their season in the CFP. Indiana started as an unranked. They have slowly risen in the rankings, until the CFP noticed they were perilously close to the top 4. So as they continued to rise in the coaches/media polls (currently 8th), they seemingly have peaked in the CFP rankings. Is Ohio State deserving of the CFP playoffs?  Yes. Did they do anything to deserve it?  Just win baby. But using the same criteria, if Indiana doesn't get a NY6 bowl bid, an investigation should begin.

The Buckeyes basically fell asleep after quickly scoring to go up 35-7 in Q3.  Cavernous Ohio Stadium was empty and dead quiet.  Hoosiers took advantage of the lull and made it interesting.  I was on the boat and second guessing my decision to bail on the game while following on my trusty Blackberry, but it was over and we all know it.

Bottom line, OSUs seconds beat IUs firsts 90% of the time.

We still have a 35 year winless streak against Brutus, big play offense or not.  .  It is what it is.  IU is not a roadblock to OSU, it is an impediment.  Will continue to be so until we finally beat the Bucks and string together 3 out of 5 to show some consistency.  

Edited by DT

6 hours ago, BTF said:

I would think after beating MSU, PSU and UM, they would be ready for the Buckeyes.  I find it hard to believe that a guy like Allen wouldnt have the team emotionally ready for a game of this magnitude.

6 hours ago, DT said:

The Buckeyes basically fell asleep after quickly scoring to go up 35-7 in Q3.  Cavernous Ohio Stadium was empty and dead quiet.  Hoosiers took advantage of the lull and made it interesting.  I was on the boat and second guessing my decision to bail on the game while following on my trusty Blackberry, but it was over and we all know it.

Bottom line, OSUs seconds beat IUs firsts 90% of the time.

We still have a 35 year winless streak against Brutus, big play offense or not.  .  It is what it is.  IU is not a roadblock to OSU, it is an impediment.  Will continue to be so until we finally beat the Bucks and string together 3 out of 5 to show some consistency.  

When the day comes that nobody will be old enough to understand the phrase “you sound like a broken record”, you will still sound like a broken record.

• Disdain 1