Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is College Football Broken?

Bobref

It seems like such a no brainer, but I would like to see the NCAA create a second national championship bracket for the Group of 5 schools.  There should be concern for schools in the MAC, CUSA, Mountain West, Sunbelt, MVC, American, etc.  These schools basically have nothing to play for other than a conference championship. That makes them less attractive to kids who are bordr line D1.   At least at the old D3 level, those schools can still chase a national title

Id like to see a 6 team bracket at each level , lets call it D1 (Power 5) and D2 (Group of 5)  

I was listening to Jim Mora a few days ago commenting on the playoff and the exclusion of UC.  He made a very clear and compelling comment.  UC is the best G5 team in the country.  Mora said that he has walked the sidelines at UC games and several P5 SEC and Bi Ten games this season, and the difference in athlete is huge.  The D1 kids are much bigger and faster.  You can only see this up close and personal.   We all know this to be true, but it was refreshing to hear Mora say it out loud.  basically, he is saying UC does not belong.  they do no have the athletes to match up to the P5 schools.

I agree with him completely

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

In high school, when a few teams dominate the rest, we impose barriers designed to “level the playing field.” In other sports, when you’re successful, you end up with worse draft order, in the name of competitive balance. Why can’t we do this in college football? Currently D1 programs can award up to 85 full scholarships at any one time. How about if a team wins 11+ games, they get cut to 75 for the next year? If they win 10, they only get cut to 80? And so on. I think that might work, over the long run. Change my mind.

No. 

Did that work?  😂 

35 minutes ago, DT said:

It seems like such a no brainer, but I would like to see the NCAA create a second national championship bracket for the Group of 5 schools.  There should be concern for schools in the MAC, CUSA, Mountain West, Sunbelt, MVC, American, etc.  These schools basically have nothing to play for other than a conference championship. That makes them less attractive to kids who are bordr line D1.   At least at the old D3 level, those schools can still chase a national title

Id like to see a 6 team bracket at each level , lets call it D1 (Power 5) and D2 (Group of 5)  

I was listening to Jim Mora a few days ago commenting on the playoff and the exclusion of UC.  He made a very clear and compelling comment.  UC is the best G5 team in the country.  Mora said that he has walked the sidelines at UC games and several P5 SEC and Bi Ten games this season, and the difference in athlete is huge.  The D1 kids are much bigger and faster.  You can only see this up close and personal.   We all know this to be true, but it was refreshing to hear Mora say it out loud.  basically, he is saying UC does not belong.  they do no have the athletes to match up to the P5 schools.

Sorry. Reality. 

If the kids were good enough to play at the universities that are competing for the cfp championship then they’d be there. 

17 minutes ago, DE said:

Sorry. Reality. 

If the kids were good enough to play at the universities that are competing for the cfp championship then they’d be there. 

Don’t have the data at my fingertips right now but if I remember correctly I saw a statistic recently stating that the majority of NFL players and pro bowlers were 3 star recruits coming out of high school so this is not necessarily true.  

Bama, Clemson and OSU turn away three star kids at times.

Edited by temptation

24 minutes ago, temptation said:

Don’t have the data at my fingertips right now but if I remember correctly I saw a statistic recently stating that the majority of NFL players and pro bowlers were 3 star recruits coming out of high school so this is not necessarily true.  

Bama, Clemson and OSU turn away three star kids at times.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

It takes a gutsy 3star to step on campus at Alabama.

Cocksure indeed

2 hours ago, DT said:

Let’s clears some things up

there is already D2 ncaa football

here is the order with some Indiana teams as reference

FBS IU Pu ND Ball state

FCS valpo Indiana state butler

D2 university of Indianapolis

NAIA st Francis Marian 

D3 wabash depauw

the ncaa isn’t even in charge of the first championship how they gonna create 2nd?

but you are correct in the sense of creating a new division. I think knight group advised the power 5 break away and become their own entity since they make so much money. Would this be the end of the ncaa? Would it destroy non revenue sports? Would ND join big ten or acc?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 7:53 AM, Bobref said:

In high school, when a few teams dominate the rest, we impose barriers designed to “level the playing field.” In other sports, when you’re successful, you end up with worse draft order, in the name of competitive balance. Why can’t we do this in college football? Currently D1 programs can award up to 85 full scholarships at any one time. How about if a team wins 11+ games, they get cut to 75 for the next year? If they win 10, they only get cut to 80? And so on. I think that might work, over the long run. Change my mind.

The old Success Factor!😏

On 12/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, DanteEstonia said:

College football has been broken since the Big 10 stopped being a ten-team conference.

Yep, the Big 14!🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DanteEstonia said:

Remove Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa, and give them West Virginia. This way, the Big XII will have 12, and the Big Ten will have ten!

Uh.......Isn’t WV already in the Big XII?

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

... minus Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.

Dante's Big Ten:

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Illinois

Michigan State

Michigan

Purdue

Indiana

Ohio State

Pennsylvania State

West Virginia

I think WVU belongs in a conference more along the lines of Rick Vaughn's former league, The California Penal.