Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should Merrillville be 6a

7 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Yes , I wasn't jabbing at BD but making a point. Just because teams lose deep into the tourney by wide margins doesn't mean they don't belong in the class . Most often than not , If your deep into the playoffs , your better than the majority of said class . 

Not impressive when the class has THIRTY-TWO teams.  

Honest question, do 5A/6A teams that receive votes but aren’t ranked in the coaches/media poll boast?

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Chatard would like a word.  They beat them like a rented mule.

Merrillville has whiffed the last three times on the big stage in the tourney.  Outscored 127-59.

BTW:  I think Cody ran away after I exploited his burner account.

I understand your comments....but it seems hard to say a team can't compete in 6A, when they have won 3 consecutive regionals in 6A.  When I look at teams 16-32 in 6A, I struggle to think Merrillvile cannot compete with them and win their fair share of those contests.  I am not disagreeing with your comments when you stack them among the best of 6A.

12 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I understand your comments....but it seems hard to say a team can't compete in 6A, when they have won 3 consecutive regionals in 6A.  When I look at teams 16-32 in 6A, I struggle to think Merrillvile cannot compete with them and win their fair share of those contests.  I am not disagreeing with your comments when you stack them among the best of 6A.

In most years at least 80 percent of the top ten ranked teams in 6A are Indy teams and of those, only 4/5 are actually “contenders.”

Don't let geography and a sectional/regional trophy case fool you into thinking Merrillville is better than they are.

They could compete and probably win more than their fair share against those 16-32 you mentioned, but the gap is so large from the top half dozen to teams 16-32 it might as well be the Grand Canyon.

The parallel to college football is the same.  Being ranked 10-15 is a damn fine accomplishment but only 3-4 teams have a realistic shot at the title.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

In most years at least 80 percent of the top ten ranked teams in 6A are Indy teams and of those, only 4/5 are actually “contenders.”

Don't let geography and a sectional/regional trophy case fool you into thinking Merrillville is better than they are.

They could compete and probably win more than their fair share against those 16-32 you mentioned, but the gap is so large from the top half dozen to teams 16-32 it might as well be the Grand Canyon.

The parallel to college football is the same.  Being ranked 10-15 is a damn fine accomplishment but only 3-4 teams have a realistic shot at the title.

Not disagreeing with you at all...but that isn't the name of this thread.  It was should Merrillville be in 6A?....not would Merrillville be a contender in 6A.

I guess its all a moot point.  Enrollment says they are 5A.  If they take care of business in 5A for a couple of years or their enrollment increases, they will move up regardless.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Merrillville can absolutely “compete” in 6A as can several other non-6A schools in pretty much every class. There’s never going to be 32 (or 64 depending on class) contenders a year. This is why the IHSAA classifies schools by enrollment. 6A is no different from the rest of the classes in the sense that there are truly only 4-5 contenders a year, and they’re usually the same faces. But it would be rather silly for the IHSAA to classify schools on ability to “compete”.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

The OP stated , should the Pirates be in 6A , not will the Pirates win championships every year . If any 6A team wins Regionals 3 years in a row , they belong in the class and are more than likely a top 15 team , regardless what happens after that . Being top 15 out of 32 again says they belong in the class . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

The OP stated , should the Pirates be in 6A , not will the Pirates win championships every year . If any 6A team wins Regionals 3 years in a row , they belong in the class and are more than likely a top 15 team , regardless what happens after that . Being top 15 out of 32 again says they belong in the class . 

I’ll concede.

3 hours ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Yes , I wasn't jabbing at BD but making a point. Just because teams lose deep into the tourney by wide margins doesn't mean they don't belong in the class . Most often than not , If your deep into the playoffs , your better than the majority of said class . 

That's fair. My apologies.

7 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I know they where moved down to 5A because of the number of students in the school, but if take the points they would have earned in 6A the last two years would the SF not keep them in 6A? Or does the SF only work for schools the IHSAA moves up?

No. The Success Factor "stay-up" points *only* apply to schools that have moved up. Merrillville was 6A due to enrollment, therefore, it did not accumulate Success Factor points. It is properly placed in 5A. 

Now, I'm sure someone will propose a bylaw change if they win state this year, but that's how things are for now. 

21 hours ago, temptation said:

Chatard would like a word.  They beat them like a rented mule.

Merrillville has whiffed the last three times on the big stage in the tourney.  Outscored 127-59.

BTW:  I think Cody ran away after I exploited his burner account.

This is too funny. I wasn't sure what you were referring to until I read that thread this morning. The sentence structuring and use of grammar are identical to a Parkhurst post. Unbelievably bizarre. Loved the last line of "Andrean4life" being worried that Cody was going to roast him. The entire schtick is starting to make a lot of sense. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

This is too funny. I wasn't sure what you were referring to until I read that thread this morning. The sentence structuring and use of grammar are identical to a Parkhurst post. Unbelievably bizarre. Loved the last line of "Andrean4life" being worried that Cody was going to roast him. The entire schtick is starting to make a lot of sense. 

Dead giveaway.