Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli's Killer Schedule to Close Out Regular Season

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Don't have one or haven't needed one?  They have only played one one possession game.

Guessing we'll find out this week against Elder. Should be able to have success running behind that line regardless of who you play but I don't see Roncalli gashing Elder for 6, 7, 8 yards a carry either. QB will likely need to make some plays this Friday. 

32 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

Question is how far do they go without a passing game. I checked on their season stats and it is quite evident they don't have one. I would say they are reminiscent of CG the past couple of years, but even CG had a 150 yd plus passing average a game. It was there to supplement when the run game was slowed down, and it could if necessary. New Pal has that kind of offense, a great rushing attack behind a talented and and an even better passing game than CG dreamed of having. Question is will New Pal's defense be athletic enough and tactical enough to contain the run. Notice I didn't say stop. I really don't see stopping Roncalli's run game. The hope is to keep Hansen from rushing 200 plus yards and limit the 3rd and shorts or goal line stands. I think, honestly, it will come down to coaching and defense. Which coach will have the best scheme for the opposing offense and make the better adjustments throughout the game. And who will get the most pressure on the outside with the most disciplined, yet aggressive LBs in the middle. Should be an interesting game and I am looking forward to seeing how they do against Elder.

LOL.....Looking at Tayven Jackson's stats his junior and senior seasons, and now Tyler Cherry's stats this year, guessing Coach Moore and his staff is very pleased.....

29 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

Not sure I understand your question, but if it ain't broke don't fix it applies here. But if they do get in trouble what will they do? 

I think you are jaded and letting your bias get in the way.  I get it though.

All I was saying is just because they haven't utilized or shown one, doesn't mean its not in their arsenal.  They have one of the best lines/backs in the state so you sort of answered your own question.

As far as the "get in trouble" question, no one knows but you stated it as an absolute...

"It is quite evident they don't have one."

Seems like wishful thinking on your part.

Spent a few minutes pulling QBR data from MaxPreps with QBs for good teams that I could think of quickly:

Moyers 2022 - 76.5

Leffler 2021 - 125.8

Slunaker (Mt Vernon) 2021 - 141.3

Ellsperman (Memorial) 2021 - 91.8

Burton (East Central) 2021 - 121.3

Burton 2022 - 124.4

Geske (Brebeuf) 2022 - 69.7

Buckman (Brebeuf) 2022 - 35.8

Buckman (Brebeuf) 2021 - 107.9

On 10/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, MonkeyButt said:

This ending schedule is exactly why I believe Roncalli, especially after the decisive win last night, should be ranked in the top 2 above CG and Carmel and HSE for sure. I believe that if they beat Elder then they should definitely be moved up. IMO New Pal and Roncalli are the two best teams in the state. But I am being told by some folks on another thread that pointing this out doesn't matter. Roncalli doesn't play in the MIC or HCC schedule, therefore, their place in the rankings will never put them above those top teams. Doesn't make sense to me in a multi-class power ranking.

Do you happen to know how many kids at New Pal or Roncalli play both ways?

I’m not sure about Carmel or HSE, but CG has 1 that plays part time.

That is typically the biggest difference in the 6A school compared to the lower classes. No way a team with multiple players going both ways can make it through a 6A schedule.

Cathedral, a top program in any class hasn’t had successful season in 6A yet. It’s just different when you have to play those big schools week in and week out.
That is why the rankings are skewed for the 6A schools. IMO

14 minutes ago, HomeCookin said:

Cathedral, a top program in any class hasn’t had successful season in 6A yet. It’s just different when you have to play those big schools week in and week out.

Cathedral made regionals both years last go around in 6A.

Lost in 2 OT to Brandon Peters Avon team and got smoked by Reese Taylor and Ben Davis (who killed everybody that year) the following year. Markese Stepp didn't play in the Avon game and was limited in the Ben Davis game, not that I think it would have mattered. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral made regionals both years last go around in 6A.

Lost in 2 OT to Brandon Peters Avon team and got smoked by Reese Taylor and Ben Davis (who killed everybody that year) the following year. Markese Stepp didn't play in the Avon game and was limited in the Ben Davis game, not that I think it would have mattered. 

Not saying they haven’t had success, just not a successful season. Successful season at Cathedral = state championship. I don’t think making regionals is their goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HomeCookin said:

Not saying they haven’t had success, just not a successful season. Successful season at Cathedral = state championship. I don’t think making regionals is their goal.

Fair enough.

May not win it this year, but I think they are much more suited this go around as opposed to the last cycle. CHS had some phenomenal top end talent in 15 and 16 (Bortenschlager, Werner, Stepp) but not nearly as deep as they are this year. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I think you are jaded and letting your bias get in the way.  I get it though.

All I was saying is just because they haven't utilized or shown one, doesn't mean its not in their arsenal.  They have one of the best lines/backs in the state so you sort of answered your own question.

As far as the "get in trouble" question, no one knows but you stated it as an absolute...

"It is quite evident they don't have one."

Seems like wishful thinking on your part.

And your evidence to the contrary? What coach wants to only work one aspect of their offensive strategy during a game? From a coaching perspective if you have a strong run offense and a capable passing game you still want the passing game to get plays in during the game and be effecient. Just looking at their passing stats they complete 50% of their passes and they have thrown at least 109 times. So they aren't very efficient when they do throw and only 4 TDs to go with that. While they have run the ball 328 times. 

I have more evidence to support what we are seeing versus what you're saying is unknown. They can't complete passes and score so it isn't as much of what is unknown as they have to run the ball because they are not getting it done in the passing game. Wouldn't it be evident that if they could pass well they would still be run heavy because they run the ball so well, but still able to score and complete a higher percentage of passes. Even Roncalli fans have expressed to me their concern about the passing game. 

And what is there to be jaded about and bias about? The numbers speak for themselves. Their WRs are average 29 yards or less a game. They are averaging 80 yards passing a game. They're running their star RB 40 times a game nearly (on two occasions at least). Why would a coach jeopardize his star RB like that if the passing game could help take some off his back and give him some rest for the playoffs? Just because you have one of the best lines and backs in the state doesn't mean you run them to death. New Pal has a great run offense and OL too. We still throw the ball and attempt to be as balanced as possible while giving reps and practice to both sides of the offense.

What is wishful thinking is making an argument with assumptions and no evidence to back it up. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HomeCookin said:

That is typically the biggest difference in the 6A school compared to the lower classes. No way a team with multiple players going both ways can make it through a 6A schedule.

We have a couple of starters that go both ways, but we tend to give some rest to OL more than other positions. We will rotate some offensive and defensive players in on both sides of the ball. Maybe about 4. I don't know about Roncalli. I'd think similar, but I could be wrong.

I agree a 6A schedule would be tough. Not impossible, but tough. Cathedral isn't doing to bad this year. But the playoffs will truly tell.

35 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

And your evidence to the contrary? What coach wants to only work one aspect of their offensive strategy during a game? From a coaching perspective if you have a strong run offense and a capable passing game you still want the passing game to get plays in during the game and be effecient. Just looking at their passing stats they complete 50% of their passes and they have thrown at least 109 times. So they aren't very efficient when they do throw and only 4 TDs to go with that. While they have run the ball 328 times. 

I have more evidence to support what we are seeing versus what you're saying is unknown. They can't complete passes and score so it isn't as much of what is unknown as they have to run the ball because they are not getting it done in the passing game. Wouldn't it be evident that if they could pass well they would still be run heavy because they run the ball so well, but still able to score and complete a higher percentage of passes. Even Roncalli fans have expressed to me their concern about the passing game. 

And what is there to be jaded about and bias about? The numbers speak for themselves. Their WRs are average 29 yards or less a game. They are averaging 80 yards passing a game. They're running their star RB 40 times a game nearly (on two occasions at least). Why would a coach jeopardize his star RB like that if the passing game could help take some off his back and give him some rest for the playoffs? Just because you have one of the best lines and backs in the state doesn't mean you run them to death. New Pal has a great run offense and OL too. We still throw the ball and attempt to be as balanced as possible while giving reps and practice to both sides of the offense.

What is wishful thinking is making an argument with assumptions and no evidence to back it up. 

I've seen numerous Chatard and Roncalli teams run roughshod through 3A and 4A tournaments in years past without having the need to throw a forward pass. Any of the New Pal teams with Charlie Spegal could have won state without throwing a forward pass. There may come a time when Roncalli needs to throw the ball, but they haven't at all this year out of necessity. If you're gaining 5-6 yards a carry, why throw it?

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

It's all starting to make sense now.  Thanks for the clarity.

(Love it when people tell on themselves...)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I've seen numerous Chatard and Roncalli teams run roughshod through 3A and 4A tournaments in years past without having the need to throw a forward pass. Any of the New Pal teams with Charlie Spegal could have won state without throwing a forward pass. There may come a time when Roncalli needs to throw the ball, but they haven't at all this year out of necessity. If you're gaining 5-6 yards a carry, why throw it?

But what if they can't? I get Temptation doesn't want to think about that, but I am asking what if they cannot run with the success they have been having. What then? Their only completing 50% of their passes. Their top WR is average only 29 yards a game. I am just saying for discussion sake and from my jaded and bias perspective apparently. SMH

40 minutes ago, temptation said:

It's all starting to make sense now.  Thanks for the clarity.

(Love it when people tell on themselves...)

Love when someone can't back up their arguments, but rather brush out by making smart aleck remarks. 

8 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

But what if they can't? I get Temptation doesn't want to think about that, but I am asking what if they cannot run with the success they have been having. What then? Their only completing 50% of their passes. Their top WR is average only 29 yards a game. I am just saying for discussion sake and from my jaded and bias perspective apparently. SMH

Love when someone can't back up their arguments, but rather brush out by making smart aleck remarks. 

Says the guy who has admitted to not seeing Roncalli in person and is relying on MaxPreps in an attempt to spin his narrative as an absolute.

I’m just glad we put the “other reasons” why your family switched schools to bed.

”Who wants to work on just one part of their offense?”

”I have nothing but love for the kids but animosity for the coaching staff.”

LOFL.

22 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

I guess if Roncalli is forced to throw the ball 20-25+ times then it just ain't their night. I'm willing to bet the Roncalli staff knows what their QB is and isn't capable of doing in the event they can't get their ground game going. But I think its senseless for Roncalli to make it priority to come out and start slinging the ball around the field for the sake of possibly needing it down the road. Roncalli has an identity, and a good one at that, force the other team to adjust rather than vice versa. Nobody has stopped Roncalli on the ground this year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HomeCookin said:

Previous seasons Roncalli has had no one going both ways.  

The drop off between the Sr and Jr class is causing a few to play both ways.  Hansen is is playing some linebacker.  The Lauck kid is going both ways as he should.  Guy is a beast.  

I would say probably 2 full time and 3 more situationally.  

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Fair enough.

May not win it this year, but I think they are much more suited this go around as opposed to the last cycle. CHS had some phenomenal top end talent in 15 and 16 (Bortenschlager, Werner, Stepp) but not nearly as deep as they are this year. 

Don't forget Emil Ekiyor!

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I guess if Roncalli is forced to throw the ball 20-25+ times then it just ain't their night. I'm willing to bet the Roncalli staff knows what their QB is and isn't capable of doing in the event they can't get their ground game going. But I think its senseless for Roncalli to make it priority to come out and start slinging the ball around the field for the sake of possibly needing it down the road. Roncalli has an identity, and a good one at that, force the other team to adjust rather than vice versa. Nobody has stopped Roncalli on the ground this year. 

I never said they should come out slinging the ball. That would be dumb. Just wondering if Roncalli has a weakness and if so is it the passing game, and can anyone contain the run enough to find out? I look forward to this next game they have against Elder.

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Says the guy who has admitted to not seeing Roncalli in person and is relying on MaxPreps in an attempt to spin his narrative as an absolute.

I’m just glad we put the “other reasons” why your family switched schools to bed.

”Who wants to work on just one part of their offense?”

”I have nothing but love for the kids but animosity for the coaching staff.”

LOFL.

Wow you are great at having a debate. So much there to convince me you know what you are talking about.  Personal attacks and throwing of subject are hallmark signs of an insecure person without any knowledge of what they are talking about. You nailed it! LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, temptation said:

LOFL.

🎯

46 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

I never said they should come out slinging the ball. That would be dumb. Just wondering if Roncalli has a weakness and if so is it the passing game, and can anyone contain the run enough to find out? I look forward to this next game they have against Elder.

Not what you said the first time…