Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NWI FOOTBALL REGIONAL SCHEDULE WITH PREDICTIONS

On 11/9/2022 at 11:30 AM, Piratefan101 said:

Regional championship schedule for NWI with my predictions 

1A 

north Judson @ park Tudor: I don’t know much about either team except for what I have read. North Judson seems to be on another level. And park Tudor will have problems with the allaround great team play!! North Judson wins 42-21

2A 

LCC @ Andrean: battle of two top football programs in the state! Great history! Great coaching! Great game! Drayk bowen is to much for LCC! Andrean wins 28-17

3A none

4A none

5A 

merrillville @ Valpo: earlier this season merrillville ran away with the game in the 2nd half! Both teams had injuries. Valpo was missing there starting RB! While merrillville was missing A LB and Justin Marshall was hampered by a injury! This game comes down to who’s defense is better and sorry to break it to you guys… but… Valpo can’t throw which makes them one dimensional. Merrillville has opened up there play book and is healthy for the 1st time since week 1. I’ll take the pirates running away in this game 42-14

The reasons for the Crown Point and Chesterton losses were a stretch to say the least. What's the reason for this loss, Cody?

4 hours ago, psaboy said:

I believe Pirate Fan is in the witness protection program and will be gone for a bit

He's still out at the after party after a dominating performance by our pirates.

We sure are lucky that Valpo came out with their entirely one dimensional offense.

8 hours ago, Rodney said:

He's still out at the after party after a dominating performance by our pirates.

We sure are lucky that Valpo came out with their entirely one dimensional offense.

Did you go to the game? Was wondering what happened??

3 hours ago, psaboy said:

Did you go to the game? Was wondering what happened??

I was there. I'm going to try to keep this diplomatic and not be too critical. Bottom line Merrillville looked asleep at the wheel on offense, both the players and coaches. Seemed like the coaching staff was more concerned with making sure everyone touched the ball instead of feeding the ball to their best players, and for their part, the players looked like they thought that no matter what happened they were going to win in the end, and you could tell that by their shock when they ended up losing. No one in the entire town of Valpo could cover Roche and it was obvious from the jump, he had 2 TDs and over 100 yards receiving, but none of this production came in the second half. Don't even think they tried throwing him the ball in the second half. Even more head scratching was that they didn't start feeding Marshall until about 5 minutes left in the game. Again, seemed like the coaching staff was more concerned with making sure everyone got a touch and just assumed they would win in the end no matter what. The coaching staff also looked over-confident in regards to the decisions they made; with 2 seconds left in the half in a goal-to-go from the 4, they tried lining up in wildcat (after already being stuffed the previous two plays) and got stuffed again instead of taking the field goal to go into half 17-9. Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but if they take those points they win, and Seiss even said postgame he made a mistake there. Either way I think that just showed a lack of respect for Valpo and that stop was a huge momentum swing going into the break. Overall it was the same story with Merrillville that it has been the last few years: a clear overconfidence in their own abilities and a lack of respect for the abilities of their opponents. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I was there. I'm going to try to keep this diplomatic and not be too critical. Bottom line Merrillville looked asleep at the wheel on offense, both the players and coaches. Seemed like the coaching staff was more concerned with making sure everyone touched the ball instead of feeding the ball to their best players, and for their part, the players looked like they thought that no matter what happened they were going to win in the end, and you could tell that by their shock when they ended up losing. No one in the entire town of Valpo could cover Roche and it was obvious from the jump, he had 2 TDs and over 100 yards receiving, but none of this production came in the second half. Don't even think they tried throwing him the ball in the second half. Even more head scratching was that they didn't start feeding Marshall until about 5 minutes left in the game. Again, seemed like the coaching staff was more concerned with making sure everyone got a touch and just assumed they would win in the end no matter what. The coaching staff also looked over-confident in regards to the decisions they made; with 2 seconds left in the half in a goal-to-go from the 4, they tried lining up in wildcat (after already being stuffed the previous two plays) and got stuffed again instead of taking the field goal to go into half 17-9. Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but if they take those points they win, and Seiss even said postgame he made a mistake there. Either way I think that just showed a lack of respect for Valpo and that stop was a huge momentum swing going into the break. Overall it was the same story with Merrillville that it has been the last few years: a clear overconfidence in their own abilities and a lack of respect for the abilities of their opponents. 

I've seen enough of Valpo this year to say they have no offense against anyone with a decent defense. Their only shot against Snider is to hold the Panthers to 14 or less. My assumption is Snider beats Valpo by about 17-7. As you said, the Pirates have 2 D1 bound speedsters in Roche (Missouri) and Marshall (Colorado State) and they barely get the ball in the 2nd half. That's just bad coaching. 

12 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I've seen enough of Valpo this year to say they have no offense against anyone with a decent defense. Their only shot against Snider is to hold the Panthers to 14 or less. My assumption is Snider beats Valpo by about 17-7. As you said, the Pirates have 2 D1 bound speedsters in Roche (Missouri) and Marshall (Colorado State) and they barely get the ball in the 2nd half. That's just bad coaching. 

Agree completely with everything said here. To be fair Valpo's MO since Marshall's hire has been to create grinding, low-scoring games dominated by the running game and defense. They got Merrillville trapped in one of those last Friday. But if Snider can come back down 21 to an option offense I don't see how the Vikings can beat them with arguably the same type of formula. As for the last comment, I'll just say that after the game Friday someone said that Seiss should be Valpo's defensive MVP for the game...

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

Yet another damning perspective on Merrillville.  This aligns with what others have said all year.

Yikes.

10 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Does Valpo have a good D that can shut down Panthers O? Not sure if a good D can shut them down, maybe keep them to 21-28??