Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

extreme discipline?

I certainly ran my share of gassers in the old days. And I confess there were a couple of times my stomach turned inside out. But this is different. One of these kids was hospitalized with Rhabdomyolysis, which occurs when the breakdown of damaged muscle tissue releases waste products into the bloodstream, overwhelming the kidneys. It’s potentially fatal.

• Like 1

I remember when this hit a week or two ago.

400 push-ups in an hour is one every 9 seconds, so do a push-up count to 6 or 7, then do the next -- that's if you wanted to space them out evenly.  It's been so long since I've done any kind of work out like that I don't have a feel for how difficult it really is.  My 23 y/o son had some workouts similar when he was playing HS ball.  He said it's not easy but if you're in shape, and have been doing push-ups fairly consistently, it's def doable.  He's not an "expert", but a fb player elementary through HS (grad 2018), is a certified trainer and working in that field, so I believe him.

I have attached a link to the thread from the TX football forum I'm on down here.  There is lots of commentary, and also a Twitter link.  Supposedly some of these kids were taking performance enhancement substances (creatin?), the coach was unaware of, that could contribute to the symptoms they showed.  Also, if these kids were not used to doing push-ups, just an extreme load of a routine the body isn't used to could do some damage.  The coach, in theory, should be aware of what his players are ingesting, but is that realistic if no one tells him?  There's def two sides to this story, that is still developing by the way.  I have not formed an opinion yet, still waiting to see what shakes out.

https://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.php?/topic/196757-rockwall-heath-hc-placed-on-administrative-leave/

Edited by Bonecrusher

On 1/21/2023 at 10:05 AM, Bobref said:

I certainly ran my share of gassers in the old days. And I confess there were a couple of times my stomach turned inside out. But this is different. One of these kids was hospitalized with Rhabdomyolysis, which occurs when the breakdown of damaged muscle tissue releases waste products into the bloodstream, overwhelming the kidneys. It’s potentially fatal.

I had this as a senior in high school. Was in the hospital about 4 days constantly receiving fluids and peeing about 20 times a day. They luckily caught in time and I didn't have any major issues besides extremely sore calves. 

• Like 1