Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Conference 2023

Saw LCC play Harrison in scrimmage.  Defense looked pretty good.  Offense is dangerous in the red zone ... shouldn't be too many missed opportunities for the Knights if they get in close.  Metzger, the elder, doesn't have the same look as a Barrett, Mills, Munn, etc., but he's dangerously effective and dangerously able to sling a ball when it looks like he's trapped.  JV needs some work.  Word on the street this summer was that LCC wasn't as good ... opponents should believe that rumor at their own peril.

I'll get a chance to see West Lafayette against Harrison this Friday and will have thoughts on the comparisons and implications for the HC.

13 hours ago, foxbat said:

Saw LCC play Harrison in scrimmage.  Defense looked pretty good.  Offense is dangerous in the red zone ... shouldn't be too many missed opportunities for the Knights if they get in close.  Metzger, the elder, doesn't have the same look as a Barrett, Mills, Munn, etc., but he's dangerously effective and dangerously able to sling a ball when it looks like he's trapped.  JV needs some work.  Word on the street this summer was that LCC wasn't as good ... opponents should believe that rumor at their own peril.

I'll get a chance to see West Lafayette against Harrison this Friday and will have thoughts on the comparisons and implications for the HC.

They didn't look great in some of the scrimmages from what I saw, but also looked like they had a lot of studs on the sidelines dealing with some injuries over the summer. They are well coached so not surprised they have made big improvements from summer just to the scrimmage. 

Maybe they got a bunch of stud recruits that came through after the 11 on 11 summer to the scrimmage! 😉

Delphi - Just a small town boy. Livin' in a lonely woooorld!

Rensselaer - Took a midnight train to the RMDs! (It's clearly the Monon Rail)

Hamilton Heights - Huskies, just because I like their field.

Twin Lakes - Respect the RMDs. Tigers have been down, O'Shea takes the first dub in his Monti-compton tenure.

Central Catholic - Hearing strong things about the Knights. The Pats don't have Belli, but they do have some players. This could be closer than the experts think.

image.jpeg.28a9f0a0d3f82b622724c359cc57fc61.jpeg

South Adams - Hearing less strong things about the Blue Devils. Hope these are unfounded rumors, but taking SA here.

West Lafayette - RDP names the margin. Eagles ain't buying the "we're young, but talented" stories. They'll be just fine.

Tri-West - This is a tough one. W should be strong, but the Bruins play a good brand of ball.

West Central - To quote Mickey the Mouse "oh boy!"

image.png.fd06c51f6d4abd0a3f6b9bb3b38790ca.png

Clinton Prairie - The Falcons might need QB Eagles Jr. to swing over in the transfer portal. Birds of a feather, and all that jazz. Sadly they haven't offered a good enough package for the little Tecmo zig zag protege. Gophers gonna burrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

They didn't look great in some of the scrimmages from what I saw, but also looked like they had a lot of studs on the sidelines dealing with some injuries over the summer. They are well coached so not surprised they have made big improvements from summer just to the scrimmage. 

Maybe they got a bunch of stud recruits that came through after the 11 on 11 summer to the scrimmage! 😉

It's likely that they may have had injuries earlier in the summer.  I saw at least 2-3 Knights that were not dressed for the scrimmage, but were obviously players and not just a student hanging around the sidelines pretending to be with the school yearbook.  I know that Harrison had a string of 'em too leading up to the scrimmage.  It'll be interesting to see if some of them are back before tomorrow's game with West Lafayette.

As for recruits, I'm assuming that's tongue-in-cheek.  I counted 40-something kids on the roster that I'd coached in the youth program on the team and I retired back in 2020 ... plus four of the kids that I coached that are now on the coaching staff at LCC.  The names that I kept hearing over and over again on the plays are the same familiar ones that I heard on Sundays in the youth league, some of them echoing back to when their siblings played too, with the exception of Gutwein ... but he played junior high ball for LCC about 4-5 years ago. 

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

It's likely that they may have had injuries earlier in the summer.  I saw at least 2-3 Knights that were not dressed for the scrimmage, but were obviously players and not just a student hanging around the sidelines pretending to be with the school yearbook.  I know that Harrison had a string of 'em too leading up to the scrimmage.  It'll be interesting to see if some of them are back before tomorrow's game with West Lafayette.

As for recruits, I'm assuming that's tongue-in-cheek.  I counted 40-something kids on the roster that I'd coached in the youth program on the team and I retired back in 2020 ... plus four of the kids that I coached that are now on the coaching staff at LCC.  The names that I kept hearing over and over again on the plays are the same familiar ones that I heard on Sundays in the youth league, some of them echoing back to when their siblings played too, with the exception of Gutwein ... but he played junior high ball for LCC about 4-5 years ago. 

The recruits comment was complete sarcasm. I compared the roster from last year on maxpreps to this year and its a lot of the same names other than obviously freshman. Not a lot of players coming in or out of LCC compared to what I've heard about some of the other 2A north privates like Andrean and Luers. Although both of those two schools sound like they are losing players when it comes to transfers rather than gaining them. 

A little off topic, but I saw LCC was broadcasting their first game this year on IHSAA network. Any idea on whether or not that will be for every game or just the first one?

21 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

The recruits comment was complete sarcasm. I compared the roster from last year on maxpreps to this year and its a lot of the same names other than obviously freshman. Not a lot of players coming in or out of LCC compared to what I've heard about some of the other 2A north privates like Andrean and Luers. Although both of those two schools sound like they are losing players when it comes to transfers rather than gaining them. 

A little off topic, but I saw LCC was broadcasting their first game this year on IHSAA network. Any idea on whether or not that will be for every game or just the first one?

I've not seen indication anywhere that it's going to be a package-type item, but it'd be nice if it was for the season given that I have to split time on Friday nights.

• Like 1

This will be my 57th year watching Husky football. And thanks to my Dad for taking us to some Jackson Central Eagle games before that (Main one I remember was watching Leon Troyer at Eastern run roughshod through the Eagles, possibly '65(?). What a beast.

It will be my first game of the last 9 seasons without being a parent of a player on the team. It's gonna be a tough one. Baby flew the coop yesterday by moving in at Ball State.

Go Dawgs!

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

Has anyone seen an LCC-Seeger score?

If LCC plays like last week's scrimmage and West Lafayette looks like they did tonight against Harrison, it's going to come down to that game for the HC West. 

Don't know if West Lafayette had lots of injuries or sick players or a long bus ride over to Harrison, but they look very different from previous years.  Harrison defense did a nice job of keeping their offense off-balance and kept frustrating them.  Big stops when WL was in Harrison territory, big takeaways in the second half that led to points.  Offense did a nice job of pounding away ... a lot more running this game vs. last year's, but just enough passing when the secondary was staring into the backfield and leaning forward.

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Has anyone seen an LCC-Seeger score?

If LCC plays like last week's scrimmage and West Lafayette looks like they did tonight against Harrison, it's going to come down to that game for the HC West. 

Don't know if West Lafayette had lots of injuries or sick players or a long bus ride over to Harrison, but they look very different from previous years.  Harrison defense did a nice job of keeping their offense off-balance and kept frustrating them.  Big stops when WL was in Harrison territory, big takeaways in the second half that led to points.  Offense did a nice job of pounding away ... a lot more running this game vs. last year's, but just enough passing when the secondary was staring into the backfield and leaning forward.

WL lost a lot of players from last year.  LCC just might give WL a game this year.  

12 hours ago, Tippy said:

WL lost a lot of players from last year.  LCC just might give WL a game this year.  

True, but West Lafayette always loses players from year to year, but the dropoff I saw last night was noticeable ... especially on offense.  Harrison probably had at least three or four times or more where they denied WL a fourth down conversion of three or less yards.  They also limited WL to zero points in the first half.  Harrison converted two turnovers into points and made WL lose their cool on a couple of occasions that led to points as well.  Even Harrison's 2nd string put up points.

WL only mustered 85 yards rushing and only 111 in the air.  Had at least two personal foul that looked like they came from frustration after big plays and a defensive encroachment penalty that gave Harrison new life in their own territory.  By far, the night belonged to Harrison on "ooooh" kinds of hits both on offensive plays and special teams.  That typically doesn't happen to WL until they get to the likes of Brebeuf.

Given what I saw in the LCC-Harrison scrimmage and what I saw from WL last night, albeit I'll certainly conceded that it might have been an anomaly, the LCC-WL game will be well-worth attending if you don't have folks don't have any home team plans.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

True, but West Lafayette always loses players from year to year, but the dropoff I saw last night was noticeable ... especially on offense.  Harrison probably had at least three or four times or more where they denied WL a fourth down conversion of three or less yards.  They also limited WL to zero points in the first half.  Harrison converted two turnovers into points and made WL lose their cool on a couple of occasions that led to points as well.  Even Harrison's 2nd string put up points.

WL only mustered 85 yards rushing and only 111 in the air.  Had at least two personal foul that looked like they came from frustration after big plays and a defensive encroachment penalty that gave Harrison new life in their own territory.  By far, the night belonged to Harrison on "ooooh" kinds of hits both on offensive plays and special teams.  That typically doesn't happen to WL until they get to the likes of Brebeuf.

Given what I saw in the LCC-Harrison scrimmage and what I saw from WL last night, albeit I'll certainly conceded that it might have been an anomaly, the LCC-WL game will be well-worth attending if you don't have folks don't have any home team plans.

Sort of expected when you lose 4 of 5 starters on the offensive line to graduation. The lack of composure was the most troubling aspect.  That will need to be corrected quickly.  Let us not forget that this was the first game of the season, against a school that is twice the size of WL.  I saw it ad pretty much of a draw in the first half, and then the size and numbers of Harrison kicked in during the second half.  RDP will be fine moving forward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

I'd think anything better than a 1-3 start for LCC is a win....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nmsu_aggie said:

Sort of expected when you lose 4 of 5 starters on the offensive line to graduation. The lack of composure was the most troubling aspect.  That will need to be corrected quickly.  Let us not forget that this was the first game of the season, against a school that is twice the size of WL.  I saw it ad pretty much of a draw in the first half, and then the size and numbers of Harrison kicked in during the second half.  RDP will be fine moving forward. 

Certainly agree that there's a size differential, but size has rarely been an issue for WL; especially recently.  Against bigger schools, 5A and above, WL is 10 out of 14 in the last 10 years before this one.  Of those four losses, the last ones before last night were a  a 27-16 loss in 2020 and a 2019 74-66 loss.  Of the remaining three, one was an overtime loss 35-28 in 2016, and a 45-37 loss in 2014.  Toss in 4A Western and out-of-state Crete-Monee and the additional impact is an additional six wins and one loss against schools in higher classes bringing that higher enrollment record to 16-5 in the last decade.

I'm in complete agreement with you on the lack of composure aspect and even mentioned it to my wife during the game and my son after the game.  That just isn't typically seen exhibited by the team, but usually perhaps by a single player.  It was also noticeable that the was not just an after-the-play kind of thing, but that it impacted the outcome of subsequent plays ... typically to the detriment.

West Lafayette did look smaller on the line than I've seen before and what I saw missing this game was the traditional heavy hitter type backs that West Lafayette has used in the past to tighten up defenses which then allowed their passing game to slice-and-dice defenses.  Guys like Mullis, although he was a QB later on, Blankman, Hood, Rolle, Woodard and the young man whose name escapes me right now that was the tandem back with Woodard although he was more lightning to Woodard's thunder.  It seemed like a hard hitting running game was missing for WL most of the game.  While the first half was pretty close, I think the difference that I saw was in the first half, Harrison was looking for that inside run ability and played the defense overly-cautious looking for that and that allowed a little outside stuff and short passes on the sidelines.  In the second half, it looked like Harrison had made the determination that the heavy-hitting run game wasn't there and loosened up the defense a bit and that then played havoc with WL's pass reads.  By the end of the game, the main passing play that I saw that was mostly effective was that little pass play to the outside shoulders of the inside LBs and, every once in a while, that fourth read sideline flair out when the deep patterns were shutoff.  That loosened defense for Harrison basically ended up taking away that designed sideline down-and-out which was giving West Lafayette's offense some life in the first half.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

I'd think anything better than a 1-3 start for LCC is a win....

Halfway there already :classic_smile: ... of course, the path gets steeper quickly in the next three weeks.

6 hours ago, nmsu_aggie said:

LCC completely replaced their o-lines each year from 09-12 and pretty sure they did alright

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:41 AM, foxbat said:

I think this is probably the best team Harrison has had in years, and this is the worst team WL has had in years.  Harrison was tired of getting beat by WL and took it to them.  I'm not saying WL is a bad team, but they are not as good as they have been.  There have been many times when a good NFL player, like George K, comes through the system and a team can ride that for 6-8 years and then they cool off.  WL might be in the cooling off period.

1 hour ago, Tippy said:

I think this is probably the best team Harrison has had in years, and this is the worst team WL has had in years.  Harrison was tired of getting beat by WL and took it to them.  I'm not saying WL is a bad team, but they are not as good as they have been.  There have been many times when a good NFL player, like George K, comes through the system and a team can ride that for 6-8 years and then they cool off.  WL might be in the cooling off period.

On the Harrison side, I'd probably rate the last three teams as: 2022 slightly over 2021, with 2020 firmly in 3rd.  With it just being the first game, as a caveat, I'd rank the 2023 team somewhere around just above the 2020 squad to just a tad under the 2021 team.  That may well change as the season goes on.  Harrison's only played WL twice in the last two decades, 2023 and 2004, and split a pair with them.  Last season's game with WL was certainly a disappointment for Harrison; especially getting shutout in the second half at LOS.  I know that Harrison took cr*p for that in the off-season.

I'd, with the caveat of just a game under their belt, completely agree with you about the WL squad.  There used to be an overabundance of talent in that district, even without the likes of the Karlaftis kids.  I think the recent growth of Harrison's football program might have some tangential impact on that.  Don't get me wrong though ... against most other 3A programs they are still on the upper-end of talent availability.  If I recall correctly, for a while, even with open enrollment in Indiana, WL was a closed district.  That isn't the case anymore.  

nmsu_aggie 20   0
WarriorBroncho77 20   0
Donnie Baker 20   0
Mongo 18   2
FootballGuy18 18   2
WCGrad92 18   2
LC_Bears_04 18   2
Coach Anderson 18   2
foxbat 16   4
Bears62 16   4
CamB31 16   4
Sailors 16   4