Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Conference Realignment

Gipper

So many theories have been postulated, here's my take:

Premier League:  Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, USC, Washington

Not Quite There Yet Conference: Arizona, Arizona State, Duke, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Northwestern, Purdue, Tennessee, UCLA, Utah, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin

Outlier League: Auburn, Baylor, Boise State, BYU, California, Cincinnati. Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Iowa State, Maryland, Louisville, Miami (FL), Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Pitt, San Diego State, South Carolina, Wake Forest

What About Me Conference: Air Force, Arkansas, Army, Boston College, Colorado State, Fresno State Hawaii, Houston, Kansas State, Navy Oregon State, SMU, Stanford, South Florida, Texas Tech. Syracuse, Tulane, Utah State, Washington State, Wyoming

Wretched Refuse League: Ball State, Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, Memphis, Miami (OH), New Mexico, New Mexico State, Northern Illinois, Rutgers, Temple, Tulsa, UNLV, Vanderbilt

Again, not perfect, just having a little fun...

• Haha 1

I am interested to see the approach on conference championship games now for two reasons.

1.  It is impossible to fairly play a balanced schedule in the Big Ten specifically when you will only see half the conference in the regular season.

2. A team could actually be "punished" for playing in its conference championship game if it is sitting 9th or 10th in the second to last CFP rankings and loses, thus falling out of the top 11.

Big Ten needs to get to 20 and just do 4 divisions of 5.  You play each of your divisional opponents once, plus two from each other division.  Cut one non-con game and move the season up a week.

Four division winners play semis then, the two winners of those play for the conference championship.

Probably makes too much sense and would never happen.

East:  Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, Pittsburgh

West:  USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Nebraska

Central:  Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois

Midwest:  Indiana, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, temptation said:

I am interested to see the approach on conference championship games now for two reasons.

1.  It is impossible to fairly play a balanced schedule in the Big Ten specifically when you will only see half the conference in the regular season.

2. A team could actually be "punished" for playing in its conference championship game if it is sitting 9th or 10th in the second to last CFP rankings and loses, thus falling out of the top 11.

Big Ten needs to get to 20 and just do 4 divisions of 5.  You play each of your divisional opponents once, plus two from each other division.  Cut one non-con game and move the season up a week.

Four division winners play semis then, the two winners of those play for the conference championship.

And you still run the risk with conference championships of teams playing each other multiple times. Apply the upcoming season format to this past season. The possibility that Michigan and Ohio State playing each other 3 times in one season is not so far fetched. In the SEC, it could be Georgia and Alabama in the same boat. 

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

And you still run the risk with conference championships of teams playing each other multiple times. Apply the upcoming season format to this past season. The possibility that Michigan and Ohio State playing each other 3 times in one season is not so far fetched. In the SEC, it could be Georgia and Alabama in the same boat. 

Yep, and one thing that makes college football unique is the fact that every week matters.

That will be diminished in this new format also.

The NFL “world champions” lost 6 regular season contests…

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

Although I started this post on half-serious terms, it is pretty important because College Football is such a money-maker.  I just don't want to see Purdue and IU get caught on the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I'd love to see Pitt in the league. but still contend ND is a pipe dream at best.  Syracuse is a much more viable option, but if the B1G is to raid the ACC, I'd rather see them add North Carolina and Virginia

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

I'd love to see Pitt in the league. but still contend ND is a pipe dream at best.  Syracuse is a much more viable option, but if the B1G is to raid the ACC, I'd rather see them add North Carolina and Virginia

100%. North Carolina, Virginia and Texas have always been the white whales. Only 2 chances now. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boilernation said:

100%. North Carolina, Virginia and Texas have always been the white whales. Only 2 chances now. 

I think after seeing Bama, UGA, and LSU rule the roost in the SEC for a few years, the Horns may want out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2024 at 4:33 PM, Gipper said:

It's just a matter of time. I'll say 2-4 years. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

@Muda69  YOU HAVE TO BE EXCITED ABOUT THIS:

80 team super league:   however 10 team rotated PROMOTION/REGULATED!!!  right up your alley 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/college-football-super-league-college-sports-tomorrow-relegation-70-teams

It is a good start.  Although I don't like the "permanent class" thing.   Be promoted or relegated based on the success or failure of your program, not because you just happen to be in some power-5 conference.