Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gregg Doyel Antics With Caitlin Clark

Surprised nothing said this week with Doyel repeatedly making poor comments regarding Clark.  Tons on social media and national news services...mainly going after Doyel hard.

Doyel trying to apologize on social media, but not sure having an impact.  Thoughts??

Mr. Doyel will probably be suspended or even fired by the woke Indy Star for this faux pas.

He also apologized in his latest column, but I guess those are not good enough anymore.  Woke American society demands it's pound of flesh for any transgression:     https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2024/04/17/caitlin-clark-im-so-sorry-on-wednesday-i-was-part-of-the-problem/73364922007/

I’m devastated to realize I’m part of the problem. I screwed up Wednesday during my first interaction with No. 1 overall draft pick Caitlin Clark of the Indiana Fever.

What happened was the most me thing ever, in one way. I’m sort of known locally, sigh, for having awkward conversations with people before asking brashly conversational questions. I’ve done this for years with Colts coaches Chuck Pagano, Frank Reich and Shane Steichen. I’ve done it with Purdue players Carsen Edwards and Zach Edey. I did it with IU’s Romeo Langford, talking to them as people, not athletes. 

Notice something about all those names? 

They’re all men. 

On the one hand, yes absolutely, male and female athletes should be treated the same. I’m talking about coverage, respect, compensation, terminology, you name it. Stories have been written about idiots who say or act otherwise. 

And then, along comes a story about another insensitive man, which goes viral on social media, and I decided to write about that idiot. 

Me. 

What I’ve learned is that I need to be more aware about how I talk to people – not just athletes. I realized that only after my exchange with Clark went viral and I navigated the first two stages of grief during a discussion with the people I care about the most. 

Denial: I didn’t do anything wrong! I gave Caitlin her signature heart-shaped hand gesture as a way of introducing myself and welcoming her to town! I did this during a nationally televised press conference! What kind of idiot acts creepy on national television! (Me.) 

Anger: This is how I talk to everyone! Had that been the male equivalent arriving to energize team and town – since I’ve been here, the closest thing Indianapolis has had is Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson – I’d have shown him the heart gesture and reiterated, “I like that you’re here.” 

This is where I was, convinced I was harmless and right, when a woman I deeply respect told me, “But Caitlin Clark is a young woman, and you don’t talk to a young woman the same as you would a young man.” 

And my heart dropped. Because now I saw it: After years of being so sure I was on the right side of these arguments, I was now on the wrong side, and for the oldest reason known to man and woman: 

Ignorance. 

You can say that’s absurd, that I should’ve known better, and I do. But here we are. I was just doing what I do, talking to another athlete, another person, and didn’t see the line – didn’t even know there was a line in the vicinity – until I crossed it. 

In my haste to be clever, to be familiar and welcoming (or so I thought), I offended Caitlin and her family. 

After going through denial, and then anger – I’m on the wrong side of this? Me??? – I now realize what I said and how I said it was wrong, wrong, wrong. I mean it was just wrong

Caitlin Clark, I’m so sorry.

Edited by Muda69

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Surprised nothing said this week with Doyel repeatedly making poor comments regarding Clark.  Tons on social media and national news services...mainly going after Doyel hard.

Doyel trying to apologize on social media, but not sure having an impact.  Thoughts??

Newspapers are dead. They should not even attempt to transiton to other media. They're not very good at it, never have been. Remember Robin Miller at the track during May? He sucked on paper and on tv.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Mr. Doyel will probably be suspended or even fired by the woke Indy Star for this faux pas.

He also apologized in his latest column, but I guess those are not good enough anymore.  Woke American society demands it's pound of flesh for any transgression:     https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2024/04/17/caitlin-clark-im-so-sorry-on-wednesday-i-was-part-of-the-problem/73364922007/

Doyel has carried the woke flag on numerous occasions. Shouldn't he play by the rules he lives by?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I like how he added male and femail athletes should be compensated the same. LOL. Bill Burr has a great bit at his Red Rock's show about the pay scale between the NBA and WNBA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Doyel has carried the woke flag on numerous occasions. Shouldn't he play by the rules he lives by?

Good point.  Then he should offer to resign from the Indianapolis Star, and then start a podcast.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

No one in my mind has been more woke than Doyel over the years, especially going beyond sports to dive at political issues such as covid vaccines,  (picking on certain athletes while letting others off the hook) civil war monuments, gun control, etc.  Hard to earn much empathy from the local  reader base when they have read his countless attacks over the years in the Star and on social media. His apologies through the Star and social media....many not sure they are sincere.

Live by the sword...die by the sword.....

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 4

The IRONY of it all.....to read his apology it was behind a paywall.......

I read his apology, made no reference to the actual main issue, NOT THE HEART gesture....nope it was the ole "do that back to me, we will be just fine".  line was the absolutely brutal.....then half the room laughed....equally vomit worthy.....

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I like how he added male and femail athletes should be compensated the same. LOL. Bill Burr has a great bit at his Red Rock's show about the pay scale between the NBA and WNBA.

*female*

On 4/19/2024 at 3:41 PM, Muda69 said:

It's really no surprise that you are defending him. Do you think it was just locker room talk?

I'm interested in hearing a woman's point of view on the incident. @Footballmomma, what are your thoughts?

22 hours ago, Boilernation said:

And? I could never imagine feeling the need to point out a grammatical error in a message board post. You be you guy.

Greg Doyle doesn’t even spell his own name right.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, gonzoron said:

It's really no surprise that you are defending him. Do you think it was just locker room talk?

No, it wasn't just locker room talk. 

He already issued an apology gonzoron.  What more do you want for Mr. Doyel?  A suspension?  A firing?

19 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

He already issued an apology gonzoron.  What more do you want for Mr. Doyel?  A suspension?  A firing?

It’s what Doyel has wanted for others for years…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muda69 said:

What more do you want for Mr. Doyel?

I don't think he'll ever live this down, so that's enough for me. I have no control over what other entities might do, such as his employer or the Indiana Fever.

Honestly it wouldn't bother me if the entire Indystar empire ceased to exist. It was the most toxic work environment I've ever seen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Honestly it wouldn't bother me if the entire Indystar empire ceased to exist. It was the most toxic work environment I've ever seen.

Please tell us more about your personal experiences with the Indianapolis Star work environment.  Were you once an employee there?  

And the Indy Star is slowly dying, like most newspapers.  Witness this "investigative article"  that nobody on staff at the Indy Star seems to have actually investigated, instead it appears they have have outsourced most of the work to some Notre Dame students:   https://www.indystar.com/story/news/investigations/2024/04/22/where-you-live-in-indiana-can-determine-levels-of-legal-fines-and-fees/71523093007/

I am still waiting on Doyel's apology/retraction article for claiming fans at the Indianapolis 500 would be the most irresponsible thing ever, that there is no way that college football could be played safely in 2020, that JJ McCarty was unworthy of anyone's Heisman vote and that Carson Wentz was the most selfish person on the planet.

Dude is a fraud.  But he is protected because he is a southpaw.  A righty would have already been fired.

• Like 4
  • Disdain 1

14 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Did his apology truly feel sincere to you??

Also, even if sincere, is an apology enough?  Does it wipe the slate clean?

I think with Mr. Doyel, its bigger because of his track record.  He goes at others for a variety of social issues without reservation.  He's been brutal to others and as such, is not a fan favorite.  Had his methods been different with his treatment of people, perhaps response to his 2 gaffe's last week would have been different as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I think with Mr. Doyel, its bigger because of his track record.  He goes at others for a variety of social issues without reservation.  He's been brutal to others and as such, is not a fan favorite.  Had his methods been different with his treatment of people, perhaps response to his 2 gaffe's last week would have been different as well.

Oh, you mean his "apology" that was behind a paywall?

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Yes, it did.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Yes, IMHO it does.  Doesn't make him any less of a jerk sometimes, though.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Dude is a fraud.  But he is protected because he is a southpaw.  A righty would have already been fired.

Wait, so we lefties are now a protected class?  When did that happen?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Oh, it was initially.  He must've caved to the masses.

The "southpaw" joke isn't as much fun if I have to explain it.