Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Transfer Portal in High School

There has been a lot of talk in other threads about the increase in high school transfers by athletes. Trying to get some sort of a handle on it. Is this a legitimate concern, or have the alarmists made a mountain out of a molehill? If you are aware of a transfer that involves a football player, record it here and we’ll try to keep track.

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

There has been a lot of talk in other threads about the increase in high school transfers by athletes. Trying to get some sort of a handle on it. Is this a legitimate concern, or have the alarmists made a mountain out of a molehill? If you are aware of a transfer that involves a football player, record it here and we’ll try to keep track.

Somewhere in between?

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

I don’t have any numbers or names but in the Region specifically I’m hearing of a lot of Illinois players transferring into CP, HC, LC, Munster. Historically, I believe that LC and Munster have been net losers in transfers meaning losing more kids to Illinois Catholic League schools.

CP under Buzea who came from Homewood Flossmor has increased his activity with Illinois kids as well as other Region schools.

Hanover which is very close to the state line has been getting some now as well. I’ve heard that they have quite a few with some being very good players.

All could be just rumors but that is what I’m hearing.

5 hours ago, Coach Lou said:

Elkhart has received a number of transfers for this coming season.

A couple of them are big time players from Mishawaka.

Elkhart already boasts 3000+ students. Add recruiting to the equation and this program could be dangerous with an average coach. It won't even take a great coach.  Did I hear this is happening at schools like Warren Central? Someone please riddle me how Northrop, Harrison, Columbus North, Portage, and Jeffersonville are suppose to compete with this. 

32 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

I don’t have any numbers or names but in the Region specifically I’m hearing of a lot of Illinois players transferring into CP, HC, LC, Munster. Historically, I believe that LC and Munster have been net losers in transfers meaning losing more kids to Illinois Catholic League schools.

CP under Buzea who came from Homewood Flossmor has increased his activity with Illinois kids as well as other Region schools.

Hanover which is very close to the state line has been getting some now as well. I’ve heard that they have quite a few with some being very good players.

All could be just rumors but that is what I’m hearing.

Interesting that with people crossing state lines, the “transfer portal” is not necessarily a zero sum situation, i.e., whatever one Indiana school gains, another loses.

Student A is next man up. Student B transfers in from another school and takes Student A's position. Does Student A:

a) Be a good teammate, accept his status as 2nd string, and help his team get better. 

b) Tell his coach to "go pound sand" and look for other opportunities. 

The obvious answer in my opinion is b. Leave your program and let them worry about the issue of "depth." 

55 minutes ago, BTF said:

Student A is next man up. Student B transfers in from another school and takes Student A's position. Does Student A:

a) Be a good teammate, accept his status as 2nd string, and help his team get better. 

The obvious answer in my opinion is b. Leave your program and let them worry about the issue of "depth." 

I think there are a lot of other factors in play when making that decision. Skill level ie average hs player or next level player, multi sport athlete, friend group, girlfriend, both teams success history, likelihood of clearing IHSAA and I’m sure there are others.

If I have realistic expectations of playing at next level so an above average player,  likely transfer only after eliminating position change on current school team.

14 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

I think there are a lot of other factors in play when making that decision. Skill level ie average hs player or next level player, multi sport athlete, friend group, girlfriend, both teams success history, likelihood of clearing IHSAA and I’m sure there are others.

If I have realistic expectations of playing at next level so an above average player,  likely transfer only after eliminating position change on current school team.

Zero sum game. You have a winner and a loser. 

On 6/25/2024 at 4:10 PM, BTF said:

In that situation, If I am student A, I would look for a smaller school in my area and go there. If you are second string at a Penn size school you will likely start at a 2 or 3A school. Depth at those levels hurts. Which then turns you into Student B, and the cycle continues. 

• Like 2