Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Cincinnati St. X

3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

The game time has been changed to 7PM.  Evidently the Indy Star was not notified of the change.

3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

The game time has been changed to 7PM.  Evidently the Indy Star was not notified of the change.

Is there a broadcast of the game anywhere to watch on-line???

Outstanding and fun high school football game.  A couple of turnovers were the difference in this one.  You can't give a great team like St. X short fields because they know what to do with 'em.

Disappoint with the Cathedral crowd tonight.  I guess some just didn't want to make the trip to Cincinnati a third time.  Oh, and no hazmat accidents on I74 tonight!

More tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral put up a fight but ultimately fell short 41-37. Cathedral jumped out to a 14-3 lead and lead 31-17 early in the third. X then scored 24 unanswered. Cathedral put up nearly 600 yards of total offense but it wasn’t enough.

5 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

wow!

My thoughts exactly. I had to go look at the stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=273383

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Cathedral really seems to have great game plans against these teams from other states, but can't get the bounces needed to win. Is it a depth issue? Coaching adjustments? 

My best guess would be a young team learning each week. I believe they only had 3 returning starters on Offense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Cathedral really seems to have great game plans against these teams from other states, but can't get the bounces needed to win. Is it a depth issue? Coaching adjustments? 

Tough to question coaching/playcalling when you rack up nearly 600 yards of total offense but man there was some puzzling decisions last night. Cathedral had the ball inside the X 5 yard line near the end of the first half up 7 and threw a terrible INT or otherwise could have really blown the game open.

Cathedral came out quick in the 2H and pushed the lead up to 14 but X responded very quickly and tied the game. From there, it felt like Cathedral panicked and tried to hit the home run ball on every play instead of what was working earlier.

Have to credit X though in a game like this. They got punched in the mouth early and never flinched. That’s a sign of a well-coached, good football team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Have to credit X though in a game like this. They got punched in the mouth early and never flinched. That’s a sign of a well-coached, good football team. 

Yeah, I imagine that is a staff that is used to handling adversity throughout a game. On an annual basis they’re facing a GCL South schedule, Colerain, Indiana powers, Louisville powers, and Ohio powers from up state. Then, throw in the Ohio Division 1 playoffs. They are put through the ringer!

The interception at the end of the first half was a huge play!  Also a holding penalty on a late game drive hurt the Irish.  These are things that can be cleaned up in the future.  Yes, the Irish are young but there's enough talent to make a deep run in the playoffs.  We have to remember this is high school football and not the NFL.  These are young men learning to how to play the game and learning how to win.  You really can't fault the effort and effort is big at the high school level, imo.  Also the Irish have as much speed as they've had in many years, and speed can help you win a lot of games (just see last week's game).  The St. X fans I talked to on the way out of the stadium were really impressed with the Irish.

Overall it was a fun night of football, but it'll be good to be playing the rest of the regular season closer to home.  We've had enough of Cincinnati!

• Thanks 1