Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton Miners vs North Knox Warriors

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I'm looking at losses to get some feel for this game. The Warriors lost 15-12 in week one to Sullivan.  They lost last week to V. L., 12 -6.  The Miners lost week one to Southridge, 28 -20.  The Warriors have 2 close losses, but I'm seeing they only scored 18 total points in both games.  18 won't win this game.  Unless something crazy happens, Miners should win by 2+ scores.

Of course I wanna see by 3 scores. But I think it I can see a 14 pt game if the Warriors are really that good. Been a LONG time since real buzz words about the NK team. Kudos to all the Staff and supporters!

16 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Of course I wanna see by 3 scores. But I think it I can see a 14 pt game if the Warriors are really that good. Been a LONG time since real buzz words about the NK team. Kudos to all the Staff and supporters!

It has been 10 years since the Warriors last won against the Miners.  In 2009, they won 15-7.  In the last 10 years the Miners have outscored the Warriors 439 - 83 or an average score of 43.9 to 8.3.  In 2016 they had a 5 -5 record.  In 2014 they were 9 -3, but 2 of those losses that year were to the Miners.  In 2010 they were 7 -4 and 2009 they were 6 -5.  So they have had some "buzz" here and there.  

Good morning my friends. I am here to deliver the juicy fart sandwich you all ordered.

According to Sagarin:

Parke Heritage defeats North Knox by 8 points.

If the game is played at Parke Heritage, the Wolfs defeat the Miners by one point. If the game is played at Linton, Sagarin's prediction is wrong and the Wolfs pull out a victory.

2 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

Good morning my friends. I am here to deliver the juicy fart sandwich you all ordered.

According to Sagarin:

If the game is played at Parke Heritage, the Wolfs defeat the Miners by one point. If the game is played at Linton, Sagarin's prediction is wrong and the Wolfs pull out a victory.

I guess it's a good thing for Linton and North Knox Sagarin's guessing has no outcome on games, especially pretend ones.  

4 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

It has been 10 years since the Warriors last won against the Miners.  In 2009, they won 15-7.  In the last 10 years the Miners have outscored the Warriors 439 - 83 or an average score of 43.9 to 8.3.  In 2016 they had a 5 -5 record.  In 2014 they were 9 -3, but 2 of those losses that year were to the Miners.  In 2010 they were 7 -4 and 2009 they were 6 -5.  So they have had some "buzz" here and there.  

Im trying to be conservative here and not stir up stuff. I have my real predictions but its VERY biased and I elect not to share it is all. We shall see.

8 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

Your going to like the looks of the stadium Friday...new fence and entrance to the stadium...looks sharp.

Sounds good NK94.  As I said, I've always liked visiting Warrior Field.  It's a great venue and a unique experience from the home side.  You can see all of the routes developing by the receivers and the holes open in the line for the rb's.  Love it!

• Like 1

Sullivan played both Linton and N.K. with their third string qb... 

1. Linton's speed will hurt NK

2. NK's inability to pass effectively will hurt NK

3. NK will be able to run on the vaunted Miner Defense... but how many yards will their big O line get? Could be 5 or 50 or 100.. 

4. NK is improved from previous years. I think NK is better than ND and will give Linton a better game.

Final Prediction

Linton 34

North Knox 8

10 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

According to Sagarin:

I've read many of your posts in other threads. You often bring relevant conversations to the table and keep good chatter going. But man oh man...you really really really should let go of this obsession with PH vs Linton. 

We can hypothesize until the sign rises in the west, but there is zero chance we will EVER truly know how these two teams would do against one another this year. It simply will never happen. Can't we just focus a little more on the actual games that are happening, or at least the games that have SOME potential of happening down the road? 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lp3coda said:

I've read many of your posts in other threads. You often bring relevant conversations to the table and keep good chatter going. But man oh man...you really really really should let go of this obsession with PH vs Linton. 

We can hypothesize until the sign rises in the west, but there is zero chance we will EVER truly know how these two teams would do against one another this year. It simply will never happen. Can't we just focus a little more on the actual games that are happening, or at least the games that have SOME potential of happening down the road? 

Just my 2 cents. 

No he doesn't...but he is kinda funny.  Tanka's post have made me giggle a few times.  His love for Brian Moore is heart warming. 

• Haha 1

You know I've mentioned the importance of the pass for NK... if they are unable to run etc.

I do want to point out that Hammelman, has thrown 65 times, 56.9% completion rate, 37 catches for 564 yards and does have 7 TD Passes.  Holtman Doades, the impressive soph and 13 of those catches for 171 out of the backfield with 2 TDs, and Troy Noland, a multi-year started at TE has 6 for 201 and 2 TDS.  Zach Boyles has 8 for 64 as well.  Hammelman put the ball in the air 22 times last week vs Lincoln, hitting but just 9 for 115.  He threw 10 of 18 for 126 against Sullivan in week 1.  He had 4 TD passes in a 6 for 7 night (95 yds) against N.Central.   It really never fails that Linton gives up a huge pass play against NK... because we fall asleep.  First job will be to control the line of scrimmage, and to put the clamps on Richter (who has 773 yards rushing, over 7.7 yards per touch). He is another in a long line hard running NK tailbacks.  Richter has eclipsed 100 yards in 4 of 5 games, and was just 4 yards shy of 100 last week.  Doades had the big 219 yard game against Boonville.  They also look to have a young kid in the works #12 Sheren... he had 147 against Eastern and 97 against Tecumseh, but i think it's more mop up.   

For comparison purposes... Linton's Goodman has thrown 95 times, hitting on 53 for 848 Yards (55.8%) with 11 TDs and 1 pick.  23 of those to Devyn Robinson for 381 and 4 TD, 12 for Clayton Hauser for 126 and a score.  Cash Howard 10-150 2 TD, Lance Dyer 5-155 and 3 TDS...    Dyer leads the rushing at 59 for 513 (8.7 per) 5 TDs, Lannan at 74 for 466 (6.3 per) at 4 TDs. But don't count out Goodman with 48 for 214 yardc and 5 TDs nor Howard with 36 for 169 yards and 4 rush TDS.

On 10/2/2019 at 9:16 AM, Tanka Jahari said:

According to Sagarin:

Tankas you should know the rules. You can’t post on a Liptons thread and not say good stuff about Liptons. State law. I swear to God it is. I gotta go 

• Like 1

I wish I could be at this game tonight, but I'm taking my family for a quick vacation to Great Wolfs Lodge. Can someone please post an update on where the teams place their endzone cameras? Will North Knox take the North endzone leaving the South endzone for Linton? Could both teams choose to set up in the same endzone, breaking traditional protocol? Any updates would be appreciated.

• Haha 1

Miners come in winner of 5 straight, including last week’s blasting of the state’s then lowest Scoring Defense, 48-14.  The lone blemish, an opening week loss to 3A #7 undefeated Southridge.  The Warriors under 5th year head coach Josh Chambers lost week by a mere 3 points on the road at 3-3 3A Sullivan. They then reeled off 4 wins in a row, including a 34-20 road win over 2-4 4A Boonville 34-20.  The other three wins were by a total of 163 to ZERO.  That’s correct, but the combined WL of those three victims is 3-15.   North Knox fell just short last week in a 12-6 loss to 2-4 3A Vincennes Lincoln to set their record at 4-2.  The Miners also defeated Boonville, in week 5 27-16 in a game more lopsided than the score would indicate.  The other common opponent are the Arrows of Sullivan.  Linton handled Sullivan easily with a 35-12 final at Roy Williams the week after Sullivan’s 15-12 win over NK.  Linton has made a steady climb in the 2A polls, this week being their best showing #6 in AP, #8 in IFCA and #6 in Gridiron.  North Knox had gotten attention as well, but fell out of all polls save for a #15 ranking in AP. 

These two teams have faced each other many  times since North Knox was formed, and before that as the Bicknell Bulldogs.  North Knox has been a solid near or at .500 for most of the last several years coming off a 5-6 2018 where they reached the 2nd round of sectional 40, as well as 4-6 and 5-5 the previous 2 seasons.  They had their best season in 20+ years in Coach McDowell’s last year (2014) going 9-3 before losing to Linton in then Sectional 48 1A Championship.  Coach Brian Oliver is in his 7th year at the helm of Linton  with a 69-16 all time record.  Linton found themselves in the unusual position of a losing season in 2018 at 5-6; their first such thing since 1996.  The Miners have won the last 14 meetings with NK. The last loss to the Warriors coming in 2009 15-7, and Linton got revenge that year 44-0 in sectional rematch.  After that you got to go back to 1996 for the last Warrior win (41-12), another 12 year stretch of Miner wins. 

NK is loaded with experienced seniors, mostly in the trenches.  Four O linemen return with Seniors #51 Jackson Stroud (6’0 215) at Tackle, #67 Trevor Kahre (6’3 310) at Guard, #74 Ben Burke (5’11 250) at Center, and #50 Ethan Haag  (6’2 225) moving from Guard To Tackle. The new face is #56 Trey Keller at Guar (Sr, 6’0 240).    Add to that their double Tight Ends #88 Sr Troy Noland (6’1 190) and #7 Jr Blake Long (5’9 145).   The backfield feature RB #23 Cole Richter (5’7 150), averaging 7.2 per carry, with just about half of the team’s rushes (108) for 773 yards and 9 TDs.  He’s eclipsed 100+ yards in each game, other that last year where he fell just short at 96.  As always NK is first and foremost a running team.  They have 23 rush TDs and average 294.7 yards on the ground per game. #20 Soph Holtman Doades (6’0 145) have added 357 yards on 31 carries with 5 scores. These two have handled the bulk of carries, but QB #11 Reece Hammelman (Jr, 6’0 170) has 26 carries for 80 yards, and #22 Zach Boyles (Je 5’11 170) is a fullback, but has just 2 carries.  Doades has an impressive 219 yards rushing on 15 carries against Boonville.  When you look at game by game you see that other than the boonville game, Richter has been the offense.  Hammelman has three 100+ passing games.  126 against Sullivan, 105 vs Eastern and last week’s 115 on 9 of 22 passing against Vincennes Lincoln.  Overall he has 564 yards in the air on 37 of 65 with 7 pass TDs an 4 Picks.  13 of his completions have gone to Doades for 171 yards and 2 scores.TE Noland has 2 scores on 6 catches for 201 yards. Boyles with 8 for 64, Richter and SR #11 Matt Urbain (6;0, 160) each with 4 catches. 

That offense will face a staunt Miner defense led by ILB’s #8 Luke Lannan (Sr, 5’10 185) and #2 Gabe Eslinger (Soph, 6;0 180).  1 & 2 in tackles (50 and 48) They also lead in TFL with 8 & 7. Lannan also adds 3.5 sacks and 2 picks.  Safety Cash Howard (#43, Sr, 5’1- 175) has 40 tackles, 22 of them solo.  Up front have Sr’s Tyler Mongeau (#79, 6’1 205) and Dalton Smith (#51, 5’10 205), with DT’s Sr Hunter Boldrey (#64, 6’0 255) and Jr Vedder Rogers (#55, 6;1 225).  We will likely see a 5 man front against NK, which brings Sr Braden Jackson (#26, 5;7 170) in a NT, or Rogers lines up there with Soph #58 Donovan DeBruhl (5’10 235) at DT.  You will also see #35 Sr Avery Puckett (6;2 175) come in as a rush DE in passing situations.  OLB’s Lance Dyer (#5, Sr, 5’11 175) is 4th in tackles with 26, along with his brother Trevor Dyer (#11, Sr 5’10 165) are both used to being cover guys, and corners have been #23 Jr Gavin House (5’7 170) and #18 Sr Devyn Robertson( 6;2 165), but also #7 Soph Kaulin Padgett (5;8 165) since coming back from injury. The Miner D has been very solid against the run.  2.49 per carry, and 73.33 per game (truth be known, most of that against the JV).  4 of 6 opponents were held under 100 yards total rushing.  The passing has been where opponents have had success…166.67 per game in the air, but the Miners have 14 interceptions, as teams have thrown the ball 145 times, and average just 6.9 per catch.

The Warrior D returns 8 starters from 2018, and is led by LB #88 Troy Noland with 51 tackles, 35 solo, 10 for loss.  His younger brother Beau Noland (#30, Soph, 6’2 205) has made an impact at DE with 44 tackles, 8 for loss and 7 sacks.  The other 2 backers and 3 down lineman are all seniors.  #57 Jalen Conrad (6’1 190) with 22 tackles, and #11 matt Urbain (6’0 160) with 35 tackles (3rd on team).  Haag joins Noland as DE, with 6;4 320 pound DT #64 Dylan Wolfe (33 tackles, 8 for loss) along with Ben Burke (5’11 250)  The DB;s are Doades, #22 Levi Brocksmith (Jr 5’10 145) at corners with #22 Boyles and #1 6 Hammelman safety.  Richter also sees action. Boyles has 29 tackles.  #56 Sr Trey Keller (6’0 240) has 26 tackles, and #21 Jr Wesley Boyd (5’0 155) is in the mix as well.

The Miner Offense has been a well oiled machine of late.  Averaging 369.7 yards per game, 228.3 on ground, and 141.33 in the air.  Linton has legitimate weapons starting with Lance Dyer at WB (59-513 yards) and FB Luke Lannan (74-466 yards) Each have had two 100+ games, Lannan 4 TDs Dyer 5.  Add to this QB Trey Goodman (#15 Jr 6;1 170) with 214 yards on 48 carries and 5 scores, and WB #43 Sr Cash Howard’s 4 TDs on 36 for 169 rushing.   Goodman has been affecting in the air for 848 yards 11 TDS and just 1 interception.  He’s hit on 55.8% of his passes (53 of 95).  The Miners line up with 2 WR’s more often than not, which is a difference from prior years.  Led by #18 Devyn Robertson’s 23 catches for 381 and 4 scores, and #28 Sr. Clayton Hauser (6’1 170), 12 for 126 1 TD). Howard adds 10 catches for 150 and 2 scores, Dyer 5 for 155 and 3 scores, TE #35 Avery Puckett 2 catches for 25 and a score.  The Miners up front feature two seniors- Mongeau at C and Smith at LT. Rogers is at one guard, while the Giles twins handle the right side: G #68 Jr Damian Giles (6’0 225) and T #57 Landon Giles (6;0 210).  Soph Dalton Carpenter (#77, 5’10 215) has been back from an injury that kept him out of the first games and adds depth. 

Like all Linton North Knox meetings.. this is always a highly talked about contest.  The Warrior faithful are disappointed in the loss last week against country rival Vincennes Lincoln, and a win against the Miners would cure that bad taste in the mouths.  For Linton, it always seems to be a case of coming out flat against NK.  As I’ve said before… last year it was 7-0 Miners until 50 seconds in th 2nd, and 21-8 Miners at the half before the Miners scored 3 X in the 2nd half to pull away.  2017 was 0-0 through 1, and just 20-6 Linton at half, then 4 Miner TD’s in the 2nd half.  Both of those games saw the Warriors get inside the Miner 5 on opening drives and come away with no points.  The Linton seniors hopefully will have this team rearing to go as they did last week against North Daviess. But they can’t come out flat and spot NK any kind of lead… because NK will eat up the clock.  Once Linton pulls ahead by a couple scores it puts the Warrior offense in a bad position.  And I’m sure they’ve watched enough video to see we still give up some passing plays.   

One thing for sure… what a great night for football!!!