Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gary Roosevelt

We have played their and of course at @Bobref favorite venue at old Gary Wirt as well.  

Bowman has played games there at Roosevelt.   Stop by and take pictures of Michael Jackson house and memorial while you make the trip, its right behind the visitors stands.  Great Great large stadium that at one point back in the hey day of Gary Sports was quite the place to take in a game.   

I believe Bowman is hosting Andrean at Gary West 

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We have played their and of course at @Bobref favorite venue at old Gary Wirt as well.  

Bowman has played games there at Roosevelt.   Stop by and take pictures of Michael Jackson house and memorial while you make the trip, its right behind the visitors stands.  Great Great large stadium that at one point back in the hey day of Gary Sports was quite the place to take in a game.   

We aren't playing up there. Just heard they didn't play on their home field. You know how people talk. 

I also heard they only have 2 coaches and 12 total kids. 

6 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Yes, I remember that night well. We had to dress in the band room. Some kids came in to get their instruments while we were in there. Pretty sure the experience scarred them for life. 

And yes, Bowman is hosting Andrean at Gary West Side Friday night. I’ll be in the house.

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

No hyperbole here, I once played a Frosh game at Wirt and there was dog crap on the field. You're right, Roosevelt's stadium is a large relic of a once great venue. Especially, the track. The Panthers once completely dominated Indiana HS track and 'Velt was the scene for a track Regional. 

As our friend BobRef could tell you, I was about 2.1 centimeters away from serious eye damage that night.   On the sidelines, in my coaches box, the chains they were using broke in the wind, it came up and snapped me right below my eye with the metal eyelit of the "Stick" out of nowhere.  BAM, I go down and throw off my headset and say naughty words.   No Fun.   I think I even made the report that our Crew Chief, @Bobref filed to IHSAA about a litany of issues that night.  

We also dressed in some room in the school, mind you Gary Wirt was still a school in Gary Corp at the time.  There was a Halloween dance going on in the gym right by the locker room we were given.  It was good pre game entertainment.  I even so some wonderful costumes

14 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

That’s rough.

Was told watching film at a "home game" They had 12 players, 2 coaches, 4 fans and 4 cheerleaders. 

Im almost thinking about sitting on the Roosevelt side and cheer for those kids. 

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

Was told watching film at a "home game" They had 12 players, 2 coaches, 4 fans and 4 cheerleaders. 

Im almost thinking about sitting on the Roosevelt side and cheer for those kids. 

UW-

When I was at Lake Central, we opened our 1993 post season at Gary Roosevelt, which at that time was 5A.

I remember my dad saying they had 13 players on the team and he counted 11 fans.

6 minutes ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

That would be awesome of you to do.

Gary had about 17 to 19 kids. They have 2 coaches and a couple dads help out. 

They had 1 fan there and it was the bus driver. 

Was told they have 2 home games a year and it's usually at Gary West. 

I did not sit on Roosevelt's side but a group of middle schoolers from Winamac did. 

I was able to shake the coaches and players hands and told them they played with a lot of heart and a lot of pride. 

• Like 1