Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best “Front Man” of All Time

Bobref

14 hours ago, Irishman said:

Similar topic. I did not create a separate one, but thought this would fit in well. We have mentioned Jim Morrison, Chris Cornell came up here, but they are in that category of gone too soon.

other frontmen gone too soon

I would have loved to see what Queen would have done, but part of me feels what we saw from Freddie at Live Aid was mainly because he knew his time was short.

Kurt Cobain....incredible poet, lacked an on stage presence, but it fed the persona or vibe of Nirvana

As I said above Chris Cornell, what a phenomenal talent. The possibilities were endless for him.Bon Scott....enough said
Michael Hutchence...just a sad and tragic story for someone so talented. 

others? 

Also, I was trying to think of females who were the front “person”.
Stevie Nicks comes to mind. And even though Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie were lead vocals on several songs, Stevie’s personality was the dominant one for the group. I cannot wait for a movie to come out about Fleetwood Mac. If you have not seen it, it very well may be the best Behind the Music episodes on VH 1. 
Does Ann Wilson count? I know she and Nancy are always spoken of together. But Ann does all the lead vocals. 
I did a quick google search for female rock singers, and most of them have what I referred to as support bands, and really were not the front person of a group....if that makes sense. And the ones that were, like Belinda Carlisle of the Go Gos 🤪😍, I don’t think they have the staying power of any of the bands we have mentioned. 

Freddie Mercury wasn't diagnosed with HIV until 87 after live aide. He didn't know he was sick yet. 

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Can't argue with any of the people mentioned.....great list of front men.

Couple others came to mind that may not be in the top lists, but I like them.

Ronnie Van Zant - Lynyrd Skynyrd (just watched the documentary of the plane crash on Prime Video a couple of days ago)

Glenn Frey - Eagles  (I know they shared the load, but with Henley at drums, Frey seemed to take more of the center stage when I saw them play...favorite being The Long Run Tour, 1979 at IU's Assembly Hall.  Frey wore a "I Love Bobby Knight" T-Shirt, while Don Felder wore a 49ers jersey.  Incredible show.

A couple of others I would list (probably already listed and I missed them)

Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin

Roger Daltrey - The Who

Axl Rose - GNR

Tom Petty - TP & the Heartbreakers

Scott Weiland - STP (not as familar with his other bands....except Velvet Revolver)

Boy George.......you forgot him Trojan.  :)

• Haha 1