Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Which Job is Bigger ? HC at Notre Dame or Chicago Bears?

Guest DT

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m sure this isn’t a serious question. But darned if I can figure out your point.

You seem to be making the point that all 32 NFL's franchises are always up for sale yet a private university could never be sold.

But since IANAL so I have problem deciphering your flowery language most of the time.

29 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

You seem to be making the point that all 32 NFL's franchises are always up for sale yet a private university could never be sold.

But since IANAL so I have problem deciphering your flowery language most of the time.

Close. The point was that there is a market for NFL franchises, so their fair market value can be estimated. There is no comparable market in which Notre Dame could be bought or sold. Therefore, the concept of fair market value is inapplicable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Close. The point was that there is a market for NFL franchises, so their fair market value can be estimated. There is no comparable market in which Notre Dame could be bought or sold. Therefore, the concept of fair market value is inapplicable.

It is likely that ND has a market cap above the 3.5B valuation of the Bears.  It would be next to impossible to calculate the "good will" portion of NDs net value.  That alone could eclipse a trillion.

But highly successful head football coaches are not interested in NDs "good will" or its net asset value.  The Irish can surely pay any salary they choose, although they have a rep for stinginess relative to their big name.

Media exposure might give us a better measure of "bigness", or as Trump would say, "bigly."  

Though the brand of ND is ELITE for college football and its vast alumi base, I just cannot see how it out kicks an NFL original team such as CHICAGO BEARS.     

Sub out Bears with say Carolina Panthers, then ok, ND gets the nod.

Now, onto coaching, the pinnacle of a coach is NFL head coach.  Does not matter the franchise, the answer should always be NFL over College when it comes to value of coaching jobs.   

Nice topic to discuss

As an ND fan, you usually do not see ND head coaches go on to be a head coach elsewhere or even coach as an assistant. The only two I can think of are Charlie Weiss (Kansas) and Bob Davie (New Mexico), and that took quite a few years in the broadcast booth before his tenure as HFB coach at New Mexico. I could be wrong.   Maybe there is more former ND HFB coaches that I have missed. Maybe @Bobrefwould know better. 

I always wondered about this. 

Edited by DE

Has there been a ND head coach who could of been an equally successful as an NFL head coach, BEARS or otherwise ? 

I do not see Lou Holtz being that guy in NFL

I do wonder the career arc of Charlie Weis, if he stayed  in NFL who where would his first NFL gig been?     I say Bears after Lovie. ( wish he could have hired competent offensive guys when he was HC, I really liked him and folks still think the organization hasn't recovered since that decision).  That could have been Weis gig.   

9 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Though the brand of ND is ELITE for college football and its vast alumi base, I just cannot see how it out kicks an NFL original team such as CHICAGO BEARS.     

Sub out Bears with say Carolina Panthers, then ok, ND gets the nod.

Now, onto coaching, the pinnacle of a coach is NFL head coach.  Does not matter the franchise, the answer should always be NFL over College when it comes to value of coaching jobs.   

Nice topic to discuss

I would agree Coach but with one change.  I don't see how the ND head coaching job could outweigh ANY NFL head coaching job let alone just Da Bears.  The opportunity to win  a Super Bowl is a bit more prestigious than a college football championship.  Besides, ND is stuck in the past and lives off of it's reputation and former glory.  These days they are a shell of their former football selves.  They choose to remain independent and all in the name of their "integrity" or whatever.  I'm thinking they should just drop football altogether since they are no longer relevant.  Some of the teams on their schedule need to be replaced with better competition.  I get that they still play Navy because of how Navy bailed them out of closure during WWII but it's time to say your thank you and move on.  I am expecting a hell and brimstone sermon now from Bobref.

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Lou Holtz at South Carolina. Gerry Faust at Akron. 
I do think at some point, Kelly will be lured away to an NFL team. 

I think the NFL ship has sailed for BK, and with this latest extension thru 2024 ND will be his final landing spot.

As for the topic, I think an original NFL franchise like the bears would be really hard to turn down. I think it really depends on if the coach likes the recruiting aspect of the college game. As a fan of both teams I don’t think you could go wrong at either place but as of this moment I think ND may be trending a little better than the Bears. 

17 hours ago, DE said:

As an ND fan, you usually do not see ND head coaches go on to be a head coach elsewhere or even coach as an assistant. The only two I can think of are Charlie Weiss (Kansas) and Bob Davie (New Mexico), and that took quite a few years in the broadcast booth before his tenure as HFB coach at New Mexico. I could be wrong.   Maybe there is more former ND HFB coaches that I have missed. Maybe @Bobrefwould know better. 

I always wondered about this. 

Lou Holtz had some success post Notre Dame at South Carolina   The Gamecocks never won the SEC or were a National Title threat, but Holtz did bring some excitement and enthusiasm to the program when he arrived amongst great hoopla.  

1 minute ago, DT said:

Lou Holtz had some success post Notre Dame at South Carolina   The Gamecocks never won the SEC or were a National Title threat, but Holtz did bring some excitement and enthusiasm to the program when he arrived amongst great hoopla.  

Yup.  

17 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Has there been a ND head coach who could of been an equally successful as an NFL head coach, BEARS or otherwise ? 

I do not see Lou Holtz being that guy in NFL

I do wonder the career arc of Charlie Weis, if he stayed  in NFL who where would his first NFL gig been?     I say Bears after Lovie. ( wish he could have hired competent offensive guys when he was HC, I really liked him and folks still think the organization hasn't recovered since that decision).  That could have been Weis gig.   

Would have been interesting to see how Ara Parseghian would have worked out in the NFL.  He retired from ND after 11 seasons in 1974 with a record of 95-17-4 with two national championships.  I believe he was not even 50 years old.  

The Bears were awful in the 70s.  Ara might have had different resukts in Chicago than did Abe Gibron, Jack Pardee and Neill Armstrong, who went a combined 61-86-1 from 1972 -1981  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Would have been interesting to see how Ara Parseghian would have worked out in the NFL.  He retired from ND after 11 seasons in 1974 with a record of 95-17-4 with two national championships.  I believe he was not even 50 years old.  

The Bears were awful in the 70s.  Ara might have had different resukts in Chicago than did Abe Gibron, Jack Pardee and Neill Armstrong, who went a combined 61-86-1 from 1972 -1981  

Thoughts on Charlie Weis Career Arc?   

Really think he could of made more hay in NFL but he did get PAID................TWICE..................and could still be getting paid by both ND and Kansas   

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Really think he could of made more hay in NFL but he did get PAID................TWICE..................and could still be getting paid by both ND and Kansas   

Great offensive mind obviously, wasn’t ready to be a head coach let alone head coach at ND. Was able to bring in top talent but IMO didn’t really progress those players once on campus. In a side note, Charlie Weis Jr is an up and comer in OC ranks, and his south Florida team comes to south bend tomorrow.  Sounds like he’s going to be a head coach sooner than later. 

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I think that was Charlie's primary objective - geting paid, over winning.

The success was secondary