Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Using the four letter "F" word

Did those special few who cry "That's not fair" miss out on some timeouts when they were kids.  I know if I used that four letter word, I would have caught something to the back of the head...  I've just never seen so many excuse makers!

1 minute ago, Brettlow said:

Who has started a "DOZEN" different topics about certain schools having an advantage...(and his tepid follower).  

So let me get this straight. Your the head football coach at a school with 1500 kids and no recruiting boundaries whatsoever. Your competition, schools of similar size, are limited to the kids within the boundaries of the school district. You win four state championships in a row and you're ok with that? Or do you challenge your kids and voluntarily bump up a class? 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

So let me get this straight. Your the head football coach at a school with 1500 kids and no recruiting boundaries whatsoever. Your competition, schools of similar size, are limited to the kids within the boundaries of the school district. You win four state championships in a row and you're ok with that? Or do you challenge your kids and voluntarily bump up a class? 

You are describing the South Bend schools.  I don't see them anywhere near a sectional let alone a State title.  I don't hear any of us complaining.

1 minute ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

You are describing the South Bend schools.  I don't see them anywhere near a sectional let alone a State title.  I don't hear any of us complaining.

Those schools are a non-factor anyway. Not much to complain about. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I wasn't taught to look for excuses to why I can't succeed.  I don't teach my players or children to do that either...

41 minutes ago, Brettlow said:

I wasn't taught to look for excuses to why I can't succeed.  I don't teach my players or children to do that either...

Of course u dont teach kids to look for excuses.  It’s up to parents and administrators to insure a fair and balanced playing field.  The kids expect that when they step on the field.  Discussions as to how to make that happen are legitimate.  The success factor is a step in the right direction.  Probably could be improved a little.  

No different than when the SEC steps in and forces companies to divest assets after mergers to insure one company doesn’t become or exploit a monopoly.

1 hour ago, Brettlow said:

I respect your opinion, but disagree.  Those of us who support leveling the playing field are not looking to make excuses for anyone or looking to see anyone get punished.  We simply feel that having the opportunity to hoist a state championship trophy is not a birthright handed down to just a small group of select schools.  Every high school student who puts on the pads should have that same opportunity.  

We all know that not all programs are created equally, and many schools take football much more seriously than others.  The vast majority of schools will never get anywhere near LOS unless they are watching the Colts.  The SF, Multiplier or any other equalizing mechanism is simply an additional tool used to supplement the Class system, which is the first equalizing tool in the tool box to be used.  But we all know it is not enough.  

The Multiplier closes the gap at the starting line and gives more schools the chance to compete on equal footing.

I dont know why that is such a terrible thing

15 minutes ago, DT said:

I respect your opinion, but disagree.  Those of us who support leveling the playing field are not looking to make excuses for anyone or looking to see anyone get punished.  We simply feel that having the opportunity to hoist a state championship trophy is not a birthright handed down to just a small group of select schools.  Every high school student who puts on the pads should have that same opportunity.  

We all know that not all programs are created equally, and many schools take football much more seriously than others.  The vast majority of schools will never get anywhere near LOS unless they are watching the Colts.  The SF, Multiplier or any other equalizing mechanism is simply an additional tool used to supplement the Class system, which is the first equalizing tool in the tool box to be used.  But we all know it is not enough.  

The Multiplier closes the gap at the starting line and gives more schools the chance to compete on equal footing.

Redistribution of wealth?

1 hour ago, DT said:

So, do you think that a person that holds one share of stock in ACME rockets and slingshots deserves the same dividend distribution as someone who holds a hundred shares?

Would you agree that the schools that you mention "take football more seriously", invest more in their football program(i.e. support, community buy in, amenities)?  Shouldn't they also receive a higher dividend.

13 minutes ago, Brettlow said:

So, do you think that a person that holds one share of stock in ACME rockets and slingshots deserves the same dividend distribution as someone who holds a hundred shares?

YES

Would you agree that the schools that you mention "take football more seriously", invest more in their football program(i.e. support, community buy in, amenities)?  Shouldn't they also receive a higher dividend.

YES - their dividend comes in the form of conference, sectional, regional, semi state and state championships. 

32 minutes ago, Brettlow said:

Sons and daughters of millionaires get gifted huge sums of stock all the time and good for them ... But they also get taxed at 37%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Sons and daughters of millionaires get gifted huge sums of stock all the time and good for them ... But they also get taxed at 37%.

These "entitled" football teams have to wear a target on their backs every game and listen to morons cry "that ain't fair."

9 minutes ago, Brettlow said:

These "entitled" football teams have to wear a target on their backs every game and listen to morons cry "that ain't fair."

SF = Tax rate.

some argue it’s too high.  Some argue it’s too low.  But everyone agrees that there should be different rates depending on ur income / performance.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:09 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

Not if you follow the law.

Not really

The recipient of a gift does not pay tax on any gift valued at $11,000 or less, no matter if it is a boat, car, cash, or stock. This means you don't owe taxes at the time of the gift of the stock. When the recipient sells the stock, however, it is a taxable event.”

Just like the SF.  Keep ur total points below 6 (or $11k) and no tax.  

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 3:51 PM, Brettlow said:

Did those special few who cry "That's not fair" miss out on some timeouts when they were kids.  I know if I used that four letter word, I would have caught something to the back of the head...  I've just never seen so many excuse makers!

This is basically the "quit whining" take which is every bit as tired as the "it's not fair" take.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Not really

The recipient of a gift does not pay tax on any gift valued at $11,000 or less, no matter if it is a boat, car, cash, or stock. This means you don't owe taxes at the time of the gift of the stock. When the recipient sells the stock, however, it is a taxable event.”

Just like the SF.  Keep ur total points below 6 (or $11k) and no tax.  

Hence why we also have an Estate Tax. No one cheats death. 

A different way to think about Success Factor- a high school student has many options in extracurricular activities. Why should he (or she) play for a football team that never wins? Success Factor helps change the paradigm for those programs and give students an extra incentive to play.

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2020 at 9:33 PM, Purdue Pete said:

SF = Tax rate.

some argue it’s too high.  Some argue it’s too low.  But everyone agrees that there should be different rates depending on ur income / performance.

Well said.  The Tax Rate that DT want to levy on the PPs of a 2.0 multiplier is the equivalent of a 80% Tax Rate.  Does anyone think 80% is, shall I say it, fair? 

2 minutes ago, Grandpa B said:

Well said.  The Tax Rate that DT want to levy on the PPs of a 2.0 multiplier is the equivalent of a 80% Tax Rate.  Does anyone think 80% is, shall I say it, fair? 

If the income is over $50 million annually, yes. 

4 minutes ago, Grandpa B said:

The Tax Rate that DT want to levy on the PPs of a 2.0 multiplier is the equivalent of a 80% Tax Rate. 

But this also assumes that all PPs are equal. Success Factor show that they are not. 

• Like 1