Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bret Bielema will lead Illinois to BT Championship Game in 3 Years

Guest DT

I live the hiring of Bielema at Illinois.  It takes the Illini from completely off the radar to front page news in The BT West.

Illinis has never had a singular identity that defined its program.  Bielema will change that quickly and build a power football program that runs the football and pounds opponnents into submission.  Illinois is perfectily poeitioned in the west to make a quick move.  Lovie improved the roster and the overall work ethic at UI and Bielwema will build on hat and take it to the next level.

Look for Bielema to hit the Chicago suburbs hard in search of big linemen and tight ends, which are plentiful in the area.   And there is no doubt he will find some stud runnin backs to carry the ball 30 to 35 times a game, as did at UDUB.

Northwestern will take a hit on the recruiting trail, and Purdue, Nebraska and Minnesota will feel the biggest impact on the field.

This will be fun to watch.  

5 minutes ago, DE said:

Is there supposed to be something in the black box?

A couple of emojis. If you can’t see them ... I’m pretty sure that means something... but I’m not sure what. Anyway, here’s the encryption key. Just say it 3 times really fast:

IloveJoeBidenandKamala,too!

😂🤣😅

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bobref said:

A couple of emojis. If you can’t see them ... I’m pretty sure that means something... but I’m not sure what. Anyway, here’s the encryption key. Just say it 3 times really fast:

IloveJoeBidenandKamala,too!

😂🤣😅

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH.

It is my IPAD.  For some reason the 2nd emoji showed up, but not the 1st.  On my chromebook, BOOM, both.  PHEW.  Didn't need the encryption key.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DT said:

I live the hiring of Bielema at Illinois.  It takes the Illini from completely off the radar to front page news in The BT West.

Illinis has never had a singular identity that defined its program.  Bielema will change that quickly and build a power football program that runs the football and pounds opponnents into submission.  Illinois is perfectily poeitioned in the west to make a quick move.  Lovie improved the roster and the overall work ethic at UI and Bielwema will build on hat and take it to the next level.

Look for Bielema to hit the Chicago suburbs hard in search of big linemen and tight ends, which are plentiful in the area.   And there is no doubt he will find some stud runnin backs to carry the ball 30 to 35 times a game, as did at UDUB.

Northwestern will take a hit on the recruiting trail, and Purdue, Nebraska and Minnesota will feel the biggest impact on the field.

This will be fun to watch.  

Chicagoland does produce some quality linemen, problem is they've historically viewed Notre Dame and Michigan as options 1 and 1a. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was out of his element in Fayetteville. But, Wisconsin didn't shed any tears when he decided to leave. The guy isn't the greatest representative for a University: Exhibit A: His drunken antics in Madison. Exhibit B: He alienated all of Texas HS football by telling a coaches clinic they were playing sissy ball. Granted, you'll side with him, but it's probably not a good idea to pi** off HS coaches in a state that borders Arkansas and has enough talent to fill rosters across the Southwest. He's not going to turn Illinois into a power just because Alvarez left him a finely tuned machine. 

Edited by Boilernation

2 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Chicagoland does produce some quality linemen, problem is they've historically viewed Notre Dame and Michigan as options 1 and 1a. I'll give him the beefit of the doubt that he was out of his element in Fayetteville. But, Wisconsin didn't shed any tears when he decided to leave. The guy isn't the greatest representative for a University: Exhibit A: His drunken antics in Madison. Exhibit B: He alienated all of Texas HS football by telling a coaches clinic they were playing a sissy ball. Granted, you'll side with him, but it's probably not a good idea to pi** off HS coaches in a state that borders Arkansas and has enough talent to fill rosters across the Southwest. He's not going to turn Illinois into a power just because Alvarez left him a finely tuned machine. 

Champaign sounds like a perfect landing spot then.

Lord I apologize for that.  Please forgive me.

34 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Chicagoland does produce some quality linemen, problem is they've historically viewed Notre Dame and Michigan as options 1 and 1a. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was out of his element in Fayetteville. But, Wisconsin didn't shed any tears when he decided to leave. The guy isn't the greatest representative for a University: Exhibit A: His drunken antics in Madison. Exhibit B: He alienated all of Texas HS football by telling a coaches clinic they were playing sissy ball. Granted, you'll side with him, but it's probably not a good idea to pi** off HS coaches in a state that borders Arkansas and has enough talent to fill rosters across the Southwest. He's not going to turn Illinois into a power just because Alvarez left him a finely tuned machine. 

Agree with all your points.  Bielema can be a polarizing character.  His ego got away from him when he decided to go to Arkansas and see if he could dominate the SEC the way he did the BT.  He is a fun living, partying guy.  

The team he will build at Illinois is the easiest type of roster to assemble.  He doesnt need to chase down 4 and 5 star specialty players and try to out recruit ND, Michigan and OSU.  The state of Illinois has plenty of big men and running backs are not hard to find.  The Wisconsin program is down, at a decade low.  That makes the path to the top even easier.  And Bielema will no doubt pick up some Badger state high school road graders to come down to Champagne just on his name recognition alone.  Its a great hire for the Illini.  

22 minutes ago, DT said:

The Wisconsin program is down, at a decade low.

I'm sure COVID ravishing that program didn't help. Wisconsin replaced 4/5 starters on the OL and one of the better B10 RB's in conference history. Stopping and starting practice likely didn't help the Badgers development. Wisconsin still had a very stout defense. Big Ten West still runs through Madison next year and until further notice.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I'm sure COVID ravishing that program didn't help. Wisconsin replaced 4/5 starters on the OL and one of the better B10 RB's in conference history. Stopping and starting practice likely didn't help the Badgers development. Wisconsin still had a very stout defense. Big Ten West still runs through Madison next year and until further notice.

But COVID did indeed hit UW harder than any other BT program.  It will take them some time to reciover and get back to full strength.  Others , inluding Illinois, will capitalize on the opportunity.

Purdue looks ill prepared to cash in on the opportunity.

Neither does Nebraska

Iowa appears to be the program with the most upside in the west.  

12 minutes ago, DT said:

But COVID did indeed hit UW harder than any other BT program.  It will take them some time to reciover and get back to full strength.  Others , inluding Illinois, will capitalize on the opportunity.

Purdue looks ill prepared to cash in on the opportunity.

Neither does Nebraska

Iowa appears to be the program with the most upside in the west.  

Illinois is 4-5 years away from developing a semblance of the Offensive line that Wisconsin has now and that's assuming Bielema starts now. Freshman and Sophomores don't come in and dominant the line. Three years before Illinois wins the West sounds like Purdue fans when Brohm went 7-6 in his inaugural year.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, southend said:

Wow , check out the assistants hired by the new coach. 
illini will be the new big dogs of the west , soon!

I must be missing who the HUGE difference makers on staff are...

Can you share with us?

I could only find the OC (was at App St) the DC (Chris Ash), strength coach and ol coach, both whom i never heard of.