Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

"New" Conference Indiana

Guest DT

5 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

All 6 of the TSC middle schools were high schools (although not all were in the current buildings) prior to consolidation in the 60’s and 70’s.  There are certainly facilities within the eastern part of the district that could be added onto for a “new” high school.  Wyandotte Elementary is a newer building that would be a perfect location about midway between East Tipp and Wainwright.  If the school district was going to add another high school they needed to do it 5-10 years ago.  The housing growth in the northern and eastern part of the county is pretty substantial, which is why they are building onto Harrison now.  They could be around 2400 students within the next 5-10 years.  McCutcheon’s growth on the south side of the county hasn’t been as rapid in recent years.

Why is Jeff not included in the TSC?

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Why is Jeff not included in the TSC?

Jeff is part of the Lafayette School Corporation, which primarily consisted of a district within the city limits of Lafayette when TSC was established.  The same is true for West Lafayette.  TSC was made up of the rural areas outside the city limits when it was established in the 60’s.  As Lafayette has grown beyond those city limits (and the LSC district boundary), the population in the formerly rural areas has grown and the TSC schools have increased in size. Jeff and West Lafayette are landlocked, which is why their enrollments haven’t changed as much as the 2 TSC high schools.  Any growth at Jeff or West Side would occur mostly through open enrollment.

3 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

Jeff is part of the Lafayette School Corporation, which primarily consisted of a district within the city limits of Lafayette when TSC was established.  The same is true for West Lafayette.  TSC was made up of the rural areas outside the city limits when it was established in the 60’s.  As Lafayette has grown beyond those city limits (and the LSC district boundary), the population in the formerly rural areas has grown and the TSC schools have increased in size. Jeff and West Lafayette are landlocked, which is why their enrollments haven’t changed as much as the 2 TSC high schools.  Any growth at Jeff or West Side would occur mostly through open enrollment.

Thanks for the explanation.  In your opinion, would Jeff consider going on its own seeking possible new conference affiliation if it could find a better fit for football?  

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Thanks for the explanation.  In your opinion, would Jeff consider going on its own seeking possible new conference affiliation if it could find a better fit for football?  

Honestly, I don’t think Jeff would.  I think they would want Harrison and McCutcheon to go with them.  Jeff (and their Catholic cousins down Teal Road at Central Catholic) loves to fill the trophy cases.  I think they are fine with being the top dog of the NCC in football, and their talent pool will be down a little after the 2021 season.  If there was another conference option for Jeff that was attractive, they might consider it but not strictly for football purposes.  If they could just reduce the number of required conference games they would be happy to have some additional openings to play better opponents in football.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

Honestly, I don’t think Jeff would.  I think they would want Harrison and McCutcheon to go with them.  Jeff (and their Catholic cousins down Teal Road at Central Catholic) loves to fill the trophy cases.  I think they are fine with being the top dog of the NCC in football, and their talent pool will be down a little after the 2021 season.  If there was another conference option for Jeff that was attractive, they might consider it but not strictly for football purposes.  If they could just reduce the number of required conference games they would be happy to have some additional openings to play better opponents in football.

But that’s just it, I don’t know where Jeff can go.  They tried the Hoosier Crossroads, which didn’t really work out.  That all but keeps them out of the MIC.  Duneland?  Nope.  They’d just be an also-ran, being able to compete with Crown Point and Portage, but get housed by Merrillville and Valpo.  Don’t get be started on Conference (Southern) Indiana.  For their success, and ultimately Harrison’s and McCutcheon’s, is too stay in the NCC, but it needs to have its roster altered.

11 hours ago, Gipper said:

But that’s just it, I don’t know where Jeff can go.  They tried the Hoosier Crossroads, which didn’t really work out.  That all but keeps them out of the MIC.  Duneland?  Nope.  They’d just be an also-ran, being able to compete with Crown Point and Portage, but get housed by Merrillville and Valpo.  Don’t get be started on Conference (Southern) Indiana.  For their success, and ultimately Harrison’s and McCutcheon’s, is too stay in the NCC, but it needs to have its roster altered.

I agree.  That’s why I suggested cutting back the number of required conference games in the NCC to free up more openings for non-conference opponents.  That is more realistic than my proposal to take the five western schools of the NCC and start a new conference with the addition of West Lafayette.

5 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

I agree.  That’s why I suggested cutting back the number of required conference games in the NCC to free up more openings for non-conference opponents.  That is more realistic than my proposal to take the five western schools of the NCC and start a new conference with the addition of West Lafayette.

So you are saying the Four Big Lafayette schools plus Logansport and Kokomo? That would make for an interesting league. Would you add anyone else to that?

On 12/24/2020 at 8:48 AM, DT said:

The combination of Conference Indiana, The Circle City Conference  Lafayette Jeff and Harrison would be a super conference that would lift the athletic fortunes of all schools involved.  There is already some very good non conference competition between many of these schools and they dont seem to mind the travel.  The Lafayette schools would have less travel in this model and much better competition.  Travel for CI schools would be the same.  The PPs are used to traveling so this lineup presents nothing new for them.  

Lafayette Jeff

Lafayette Harrison

Terre Haute South

Terre Haute North

Bloomington South

Bloomington North

Columbus North

Southport

Guerin

Roncalli

Chatard

Brebeuf

East/West Option

East :  Chatard/Guerin/Roncalli/Brebeuf/Columbus North/Southport

West : Harrison/Jeff/THN/THS/BS/BN

I would give the schools the option to decide if they want to leave a week open for non con play or play all games within conference.  

The name "Conference Indiana" implies that the league represents more than just one region or  area of the state.  

This conference represents major cities including Indy, Lafayette, Bloomington, Terre Haute, Columbus.  This conference, with top line coaching, would be a strong threat to any other in the state as second best behind the MIC.  

Hey look! It's DT playing Conference Frankenstein again.

• Disdain 1

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

That would be good for Center Grove and bad for Franklin Central.

Not long term.  FC is a sleeping giant if their athletic administration is patient.  Give them 5-6 years.  Their most recent coaching acquisitions in the two major sports prove they are “all in.”

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Not long term.  FC is a sleeping giant if their athletic administration is patient.  Give them 5-6 years.  Their most recent coaching acquisitions in the two major sports prove they are “all in.”

Taught in that community for two years. It's going to take more than coaching, IMO. No disrespect to FC. I love the school, and I had a great experience teaching there. Great kids. Things change, though. I am very likely wrong.

Edited by BDGiant93

27 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Taught in that community for two years. It's going to take more than coaching, IMO. No disrespect to FC. I love the school, and I had a great experience teaching there. Great kids. Things change, though. I am very likely wrong.

How long ago?  Fastest growing district in Marion County.  Just sold their soul to bring in elite football/basketball coaches.  Great facilities.

Football may be the last thing they are able to compete in with the other MIC schools but there are 19 other sports to consider and FC could hold their own, be near the top of the MIC in many of those.

What’s the difference in being last in either conference in football?

Betting things have changed since you’ve been there...and will continue to.

4 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Hey look! It's DT playing Conference Frankenstein again.

We all have our own ideas: he’s just not afraid to voice his.  There are many different ways to view this whole dynamic and as other posters have said, he does bring about discussion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, temptation said:

Betting things have changed since you’ve been there...and will continue to.

They have. That school is unrecognizable now whenever I visit. I get that things have changed, but they've been changing and we haven't seen the programs move forward. A few years back, the school board got rid of coaching stipends to cut the budget. That set them back. I don't know if they've been put back in or not...I'm assuming they have or West and Beyers wouldn't have moved from WC to FC. I cheer for the Flashes, and I hope to see them float to the top.

18 hours ago, Gipper said:

We all have our own ideas: he’s just not afraid to voice his.  There are many different ways to view this whole dynamic and as other posters have said, he does bring about discussion.

I'm just messing with DT. It was just a dig. He digs at me too. 

47 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

They have. That school is unrecognizable now whenever I visit. I get that things have changed, but they've been changing and we haven't seen the programs move forward. A few years back, the school board got rid of coaching stipends to cut the budget. That set them back. I don't know if they've been put back in or not...I'm assuming they have or West and Beyers wouldn't have moved from WC to FC. I cheer for the Flashes, and I hope to see them float to the top.

Their profile will fit nicely within the MIC by the middle of this decade, much more so than within the HCC.

They aren’t competing at a high level in anything currently and will at least compete for non-revenue championships were they to join the MIC.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, HoopsCoach said:

So if the city of Lafayette has expanded it's geographical boundaries through the years via annexation then it only makes sense the school boundaries should expand as well.  LSC is getting a raw deal IMHO.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

So if the city of Lafayette has expanded it's geographical boundaries through the years via annexation then it only makes sense the school boundaries should expand as well.  LSC is getting a raw deal IMHO.

School district boundaries usually do not change with urban/suburban growth and development.

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

School district boundaries usually do not change with urban/suburban growth and development.

I think all schools in Tippecanoe County will be just fine.   I have never gotten the sense of any jealousy or acrimony as they all seem to come-exist quite peacefully.

Edited by Gipper

13 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

They should.  Mr. Roswarski should be on the phone raising hell with the Tippecanoe County government on how their government school system is poaching his rightful students.

Edited by Muda69

21 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Got it.  I actually liked your Conference Frankenstein handle.  Allow to to submit one: the Contraction League...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

They should.  Mr. Roswarski should be on the phone raising hell with the Tippecanoe County government on how their government school system is poaching his rightful students.

Forcing all of the students that have gone to TSC schools throughout their education to transfer to LSC would not go over well for any politician.  That’s why boundaries like that are not changed very often. Even boundaries within districts.  Open enrollment has made district boundaries less of an issue anyway.

• Like 1