Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

"New" Conference Indiana

Guest DT

The combination of Conference Indiana, The Circle City Conference  Lafayette Jeff and Harrison would be a super conference that would lift the athletic fortunes of all schools involved.  There is already some very good non conference competition between many of these schools and they dont seem to mind the travel.  The Lafayette schools would have less travel in this model and much better competition.  Travel for CI schools would be the same.  The PPs are used to traveling so this lineup presents nothing new for them.  

Lafayette Jeff

Lafayette Harrison

Terre Haute South

Terre Haute North

Bloomington South

Bloomington North

Columbus North

Southport

Guerin

Roncalli

Chatard

Brebeuf

East/West Option

East :  Chatard/Guerin/Roncalli/Brebeuf/Columbus North/Southport

West : Harrison/Jeff/THN/THS/BS/BN

I would give the schools the option to decide if they want to leave a week open for non con play or play all games within conference.  

The name "Conference Indiana" implies that the league represents more than just one region or  area of the state.  

This conference represents major cities including Indy, Lafayette, Bloomington, Terre Haute, Columbus.  This conference, with top line coaching, would be a strong threat to any other in the state as second best behind the MIC.  

Lafayette to Columbus, then go west young man to Bloomington then on to Terre Haute, then back north to Lafayette. That's a pretty big swath through the state. Could of, at one time, been the  second best conference in the state. I guess still would have the potential to be now.

I like the look of the conference. Roncalli and Chatard would be the annual front runners with the Lafayette schools close behind. It looks to be generally competitive overall. How many two hour road trips will and administration be willing to endure during one season. Does the risk outweigh the reward? Higher attendance overall? Cathedral doesn't seem to mind the travel if we want to look at them as a role model. 

• Disdain 1

13 hours ago, DT said:

I would give the schools the option to decide if they want to leave a week open for non con play or play all games within conference. 

Well I can tell you Columbus North would want the open week in order to play Columbus East. I highly doubt they’d join a conference where that isn’t an option.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Well I can tell you Columbus North would want the open week in order to play Columbus East. I highly doubt they’d join a conference where that isn’t an option.

I figured that would be the case.

I would leave week 1 open for non con and play and 8 game conference schedule

Columbus North - Columbus East

Southport - Perry Meridian

Bloomington South - Martinsville

Bloomington North - BNL

THS - Castle

THN - Northview

Chatard - Cathedral

Guerin - LCC

Brebeuf - Ritter

Jefferson - West Lafayette

Harrison - Westfield

Roncalli - Center Grove

15 hours ago, DT said:

I figured that would be the case.

I would leave week 1 open for non con and play and 8 game conference schedule

Columbus North - Columbus East

Southport - Perry Meridian

Bloomington South - Martinsville

Bloomington North - BNL

THS - Castle

THN - Northview

Chatard - Cathedral

Guerin - LCC

Brebeuf - Ritter

Jefferson - West Lafayette

Harrison - Westfield

Roncalli - Center Grove

Is Bloomington South/Martinsville a bigger/heated/better/whatever you want to call it, rivalry than Bloomington South/Bloomington North?

6 hours ago, DE said:

Is Bloomington South/Martinsville a bigger/heated/better/whatever you want to call it, rivalry than Bloomington South/Bloomington North?

The rivalry started when Myron moriority  was hired at south from up north. He was a star athlete at St Joseph in Rensselaer. Then coached up north at lake central, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe not. But anyway he came to Bloomington and went up against his high school coach at Martinsville.  Was a big rivalry game for several years, with both programs producing multiple all state players and D1 recruits. Bloomington north never has had the coaching to create a good rivalry. They came into existence in ‘74. So martinsville was always the challenge for Bloomington High School up to that point in football and basketball. Not so much now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southend said:

The rivalry started when Myron moriority  was hired at south from up north. He was a star athlete at St Joseph in Rensselaer. Then coached up north at lake central, if I’m not mistaken. Maybe not. But anyway he came to Bloomington and went up against his high school coach at Martinsville.  Was a big rivalry game for several years, with both programs producing multiple all state players and D1 recruits. Bloomington north never has had the coaching to create a good rivalry. They came into existence in ‘74. So martinsville was always the challenge for Bloomington High School up to that point in football and basketball. Not so much now. 

thank you

On 12/24/2020 at 8:48 AM, DT said:

The combination of Conference Indiana, The Circle City Conference  Lafayette Jeff and Harrison would be a super conference that would lift the athletic fortunes of all schools involved.  There is already some very good non conference competition between many of these schools and they dont seem to mind the travel.  The Lafayette schools would have less travel in this model and much better competition.  Travel for CI schools would be the same.  The PPs are used to traveling so this lineup presents nothing new for them.  

Lafayette Jeff

Lafayette Harrison

Terre Haute South

Terre Haute North

Bloomington South

Bloomington North

Columbus North

Southport

Guerin

Roncalli

Chatard

Brebeuf

East/West Option

East :  Chatard/Guerin/Roncalli/Brebeuf/Columbus North/Southport

West : Harrison/Jeff/THN/THS/BS/BN

Is there a reason McCutcheon was not included?  They are a package deal with Harrison.  Maybe you left them out to leave room for Southport and the parochial schools.

Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, TH North, TH South, Bloomington North, Bloomington South, and Columbus North have quite a bit in common.  If they were closer together they would be a pretty competitive league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southend said:

The rivalry started when Myron moriority  was hired at south from up north.

Maybe it instead started when Bill Siderwicz started coaching at Martinsville.

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, TH North, TH South, Bloomington North, Bloomington South, and Columbus North have quite a bit in common.  If they were closer together they would be a pretty competitive league.

... but they are not.

9 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

Is there a reason McCutcheon was not included?  They are a package deal with Harrison.  Maybe you left them out to leave room for Southport and the parochial schools.

I left McCutcheon out as they seem to be trending more 4A while the other two are solidly 5A/6A 

Is that not correct?

Mac would also be better positioned to compete in the NCC without Jeff and LH.  Is that also also not correct.?  Appreciate your imput and feeedback.

4 hours ago, DT said:

I left McCutcheon out as they seem to be trending more 4A while the other two are solidly 5A/6A 

Is that not correct?

Mac would also be better positioned to compete in the NCC without Jeff and LH.  Is that also also not correct.?  Appreciate your imput and feeedback.

McCutcheon's fairly well-situated in 5A ... kind of in the middle of the pack with regard to size.  They are roughly 250-300 students above 4A cutoff and about 250-300 below 6A.  McCutcheon also plays Guerin fairly regularly and also plays against WL annually.  Of course, they also face off against Harrison and Jeff regularly too as part of the NCC.

I think @HoopsCoach is correct in that, since Harrison and McCutcheon are the two high schools of TSC, with Harrison on the north side of the county and McCutcheon on the south side, they tend to be more of a package deal. 

10 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Here's a better alignment for Conference Indiana-

The first premise you have to ask yourself when considering conference realignment is to ask one simple question

Are the schools under discussion happy/pleased/content with their current conference affiliation?

Two of the schools that you repeatedly suggest are candidates for realignemnt are extremely happy with their current situation.

Martinsville and BNL.

Martinsville "was" extremely unhappy with the uncertain long term status of CI, so they left and joined the Mid State, where they are very happy and are an excellent fit.  They have everything they could want in the Mid State, including much less travel than what they had in CI.  Martinsville isnt going anywhere.

BNL is a charter member of the HHC, which is the premier athletic conference in Southern Indiana.  They have long standing ties with the schools of the HHC and have no desire to leave.

Edited by DT

Also, a better way to reduce the travel times for the Lafayette schools would be to move Richmond and Marian to the Hoosier Heritage Conference. 

1 minute ago, DT said:

BNL is a charter member of the HHC, which is the premier athletic conference in Southern Indiana.  hey have long standing ties with the schools of the HHC and have no desire to leave.

At one point, not that long ago, these points also applied to Madison. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DanteEstonia said:

Also, a better way to reduce the travel times for the Lafayette schools would be to move Richmond and Marian to the Hoosier Heritage Conference. 

At one point, not that long ago, these points also applied to Madison. 

The HHC outgrew Madison.  You know that.  Membership was no longer a positive for the Madison athletic department when you are usually playing schools twice your size

5 minutes ago, DT said:

The HHC outgrew Madison.  You know that.  Membership was no longer a positive for the Madison athletic department when you are usually playing schools twice your size

Martinsville and the Terre Haute schools might very well be playing schools twice their size soon. 

Edited by DanteEstonia
improved grammatical construction

I’m extremely wary of superconferences as they would apply to all sports, not just football.  Therefore, adding the Lafayette schools to the 812 menagerie probably isn’t the best idea.  Why not put Marion and Richmond in the Hoosier Heritage and re-name the North Central the Mid North with Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, Kokomo, Logansport, and new members Frankfort and Lebanon?

• Like 1

Math failed me as my proposal would leave the Mid-North League with 7.  I did forget about Tech in Indianapolis, but never felt they were the right fit.  So, there’s Western and West Lafayette (although they’re probably content in the Hoosier), so there’s also Westfield or potentially Pike or Noblesville.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Math failed me as my proposal would leave the Mid-North League with 7.  I did forget about Tech in Indianapolis, but never felt they were the right fit.  So, there’s Western and West Lafayette (although they’re probably content in the Hoosier), so there’s also Westfield or potentially Pike or Noblesville.

Now youre just grasping at straws.