Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  47 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Genetics and Athletic Performance

temptation

It is well publicized and there are many theories surrounding speed/athleticism as it relates to genetics.

I'll spare you the research and statistics as your search engine is more than capable.

I vaguely remember a "city speed" vs "county speed" debate that thrived on this message board for years and became an amusing talking point.

Not sure what specifically was "out of bounds" about the locked threads and why we cannot have a civil discussion and remain respectful of one another.

I will not be announcing my departure anytime soon like DT, but somebody has to carry the water.

Let's have a civil discourse surrounding "genetics" as it relates to speed/athleticism without anyone pretending to get offended.

I'll start.

Why do those of East African descent dominate distance running?

Why do those of West African descent dominate the 100/200 sprinting events at the World Championships/Olympics?

Now, let's look at football...go.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

It is well publicized and there are many theories surrounding speed/athleticism as it relates to genetics.

I'll spare you the research and statistics as your search engine is more than capable.

I vaguely remember a "city speed" vs "county speed" debate that thrived on this message board for years and became an amusing talking point.

Not sure what specifically was "out of bounds" about the locked threads and why we cannot have a civil discussion and remain respectful of one another.

I will not be announcing my departure anytime soon like DT, but somebody has to carry the water.

Let's have a civil discourse surrounding "genetics" as it relates to speed/athleticism without anyone pretending to get offended.

I'll start.

Why do those of East African descent dominate distance running?

Why do those of West African descent dominate the 100/200 sprinting events at the World Championships/Olympics?

Now, let's look at football...go.

I thought I read something at some point that in east africa, they develop tremendous long distance lung capacity because they have to run long distances to collect and deliver water for their families.

In the west, they develop great speed because they are running for their lives to escape from predators.

I remember reading that East Africans dominate distance running because most are born at a higher altitude and are descended from peoples who have lived at higher altitudes for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. This gives them naturally higher levels of oxygen in their blood. More oxygen in blood= better performance in distance events (think of blood doping in cycling). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I remember reading that East Africans dominate distance running because most are born at a higher altitude and are descended from peoples who have lived at higher altitudes for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. This gives them naturally higher levels of oxygen in their blood. More oxygen in blood= better performance in distance events (think of blood doping in cycling). 

GREAT response.  Thanks for your civil contribution.

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

So some of what the late Jimmy the Greek said was true?

4 hours ago, scarab527 said:

No clue how you drew that conclusion from my comment. 

Easy. 

Your comment:

8 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Mr. Snyder's infamous comment from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Snyder_(sports_commentator):

The black is a better athlete to begin with, because he's been bred to be that way. Because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back. And they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs. And he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War, when, during the slave trading, the big, the owner, the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have uh big black kid, see. That's where it all started!

51 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Not really, but you just go on thinking that Chief if you believe it makes you superior.  

Now please try to stay on topic, ok?

Lol I was the one adding to the discussion. You were the one who derailed it with completely unrelated things and then attacked me for no reason. I’m not wasting any more of my time on a pathetic simpleton like you. 

Edited by scarab527
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 8:37 PM, scarab527 said:

You were the one who derailed it with completely unrelated things and then attacked me for no reason. I’m not wasting any more of my time on a pathetic simpleton like you. 

I did neither of those things, merely pointed out a simple connection.  You are the one, sir, who got all butthurt about and then resorted to calling me names.