Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Les Miles = DMW

Bobref

I think we can agree that, with the release of the LSU internal investigation, Les Miles is a Dead Man Walking as far as his tenure as Kansas’ HFC. Over/under on days before he and KU go their separate ways is 7-1/2. Whaddya got?

Edited by Bobref

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I think we can agree that, with the release of the LSU internal investigation, Les Miles is a Dead Man Walking as far as his tenure as Kansas’ HFC. Over/under on days before he and KU go their separate ways is 7-1/2. Whaddya got?

Over/Under 5.

41 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Ill take the under.  I say he gets whacked on Tuesday.  Thats always a good firing day.  Monday is too raw.

This is just further evidence that the firing of Mark Mangino will go down as the dumbest personnel move in the history of college athletics.  Mangino had the KU football program in the top 5 in the country at its peak.  What was Kansas thinking?  Karma has come and taken a huge bite out of KUs ass since the Mangino firing.

Mangino, BTW, is back in coaching on the staff at Youngstown State.  He is 64 years old.  KU might pull a UNC/Mack Brown and bring back Mangino .  They could not do any worse than they have done  since he was pushed out

https://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/coaches/Mangino-Mark?view=bio

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, DT said:

This is just further evidence that the firing of Mark Mangino will go down as the dumbest personnel move in the history of college athletics. 

I’m all for the use of hyperbole to make a point, but ....

Mangino was no Knute Rockne. In 8 seasons at Kansas, he was 50 - 48 ... but only 23 - 41 in the Conference, tied for 1 Conference Championship, had 3 winning seasons.

Oh, by the way, you left out Charlie Weiss. 🤣😂😆

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

I had to look this up.

SMH.

20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Mangino was no Knute Rockne. In 8 seasons at Kansas, he was 50 - 48 ... but only 23 - 41 in the Conference, tied for 1 Conference Championship, had 3 winning seasons.

Isn't Chuckles still on the Rock Chalk payroll?

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Didn't look up their numbers but I would think Kansas would love to have that 50-48 record as opposed to what Charlie and Les have compiled together... 

11 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Didn't look up their numbers but I would think Kansas would love to have that 50-48 record as opposed to what Charlie and Les have compiled together... 

In hindsight, certainly. But that doesn’t mean it was unjustified at the time.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Youve got to be kidding.  Mangino had KU at #2 in the nation in 2007 and was voted National Coach of the Year.  Compared against all other KU coaches, he was Rockne, Leahy, Parsegian and Holtz combined.  Im shocked that you cant see that.

Just now, DT said:

Youve got to be kidding.  Mangino had KU at #2 in the nation in 2007 and was voted National Coach of the Year.  Compared against all other KU coaches, he was Rockne, Leahy, Parsegian and Holtz combined.  Im shocked that you cant see that.

One of these days you will realize theres more to college football than your Fighting Catholics

56 minutes ago, DT said:

One of these days you will realize theres more to college football than your Fighting Catholics

57 minutes ago, DT said:

50 - 48 ... but only 23 - 41 in the Conference, tied for 1 Conference Championship, had 3 winning seasons.

So, do you think KU would have hired him if they knew this would be his record in 8 seasons? Or did they aspire to more than that when they hired him?

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, do you think KU would have hired him if they knew this would be his record in 8 seasons? Or did they aspire to more than that when they hired him?

Mangino and Glen Mason shine out against this list, especially post Mangino, which is an absolute dumpster fire, including your boy Weis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kansas_Jayhawks_head_football_coaches#:~:text=Four coaches have won conference,in total wins with 52.

Mangino delivered far beyond what anyone could have or would have expected.  The 2007 season is an astonishing achievement for both Mangino and the program.  KU had great momentum, mangino had spent 6 years building the program from nothing, and then it all came apart.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Mangino and Glen Mason shine out against this list, especially post Mangino, which is an absolute dumpster fire, including your boy Weis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kansas_Jayhawks_head_football_coaches#:~:text=Four coaches have won conference,in total wins with 52.

Mangino delivered far beyond what anyone could have or would have expected.  The 2007 season is an astonishing achievement for both Mangino and the program.  KU had great momentum, mangino had spent 6 years building the program from nothing, and then it all came apart.  

You’re viewing the Mangino tenure through rock chalk-colored glasses. He was a below average Power 5 coach. That he may stand out among Kansas coaches hardly means that parting ways with him was “the dumbest personnel move in the history of college athletics.”

33 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You’re viewing the Mangino tenure through rock chalk-colored glasses. He was a below average Power 5 coach. That he may stand out among Kansas coaches hardly means that parting ways with him was “the dumbest personnel move in the history of college athletics.”

The "average" KU coach wins 3 games per season and 1 in conference.   mangino more than doubled those numbers

Edited by DT

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

A giant among midgets.

It's all relative Bob.  That is precisely why what Hanging did at KU is so impressive.  It's no different than what Tom Allen did at IU this year

Your Irish bias comes out in every threads we discuss.  It's rather annoying. This has nothing to do with ND

41 minutes ago, DT said:

It's all relative Bob.  That is precisely why what Hanging did at KU is so impressive.  It's no different than what Tom Allen did at IU this year

Your Irish bias comes out in every threads we discuss.  It's rather annoying. This has nothing to do with ND

It has nothing to do with ND. That was all you.

1 hour ago, DT said:

You brought Weis immediately in to the conversation

You listed some KU coaching failures, but omitted Weiss. I filled in the blank. That’s all. If you noticed the emojis, you would have realized it was a joke.

21 minutes ago, Bobref said:

You listed some KU coaching failures, but omitted Weiss. I filled in the blank. That’s all. If you noticed the emojis, you would have realized it was a joke.

Change your moniker to IrishBias

Well, Kansas’ “investigation” didn’t take long. It was “mutual.” Yeah, right.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31030339/les-miles-kansas-jayhawks-head-football-coach

Les Miles out as Kansas Jayhawks' head football coach

Les Miles is out as Kansas' head football coach three days after he was placed on administrative leave amid accusations of inappropriate behavior toward female students during his head-coaching tenure at LSU.

Kansas athletic director Jeff Long on Friday said the university would be conducting a full review to determine the appropriate steps on Miles' future, and late Monday evening announced that they had "mutually agreed to part ways."

"I am extremely disappointed for our university, fans and everyone involved with our football program," Long said in a statement. "There is a lot of young talent on this football team, and I have no doubt we will identify the right individual to lead this program."

Long said the school will use a search firm to assist in finding Miles' successor. Long did not use a search firm when he hired Miles, a friend from their time together at Michigan in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Mike DeBord, who was hired last month as Kansas' offensive coordinator, will serve as the program's acting head coach until an interim head coach is determined.

On Thursday, a report released on behalf of LSU showed that a 2013 internal investigation at the school accused Miles of inappropriate behavior toward female students, including allegations he contacted some via Facebook and text, met them off campus alone and kissed at least one of them.

The report did not find he had sexual relationships with any of the women, and Miles strongly denied kissing the student, saying he didn't do anything wrong and that he was mentoring young women at the university.

According to a copy of Miles' employment contract with Kansas, the university would have "just cause" to end its agreement with Miles if the coach had "discreditable conduct that is inconsistent with the professional standards expected of a head coach of a collegiate sports team."

Another clause in the contract that defines "just cause" is "participation in by head coach of any act, situation, or occurrence, or any conduct, which in Athletics of KU's judgment brings Head Coach and/or KU into public disrepute, embarrassment, contempt, or ridicule ... "

It's unclear whether these clauses were triggered; terms of the separation agreement are expected to be released in coming days, according to the university's statement. Miles had three years left on a five-year contract he signed with Kansas in November 2018.

"This is certainly a difficult day for me and for my family," Miles said in a statement on Monday. "I love this university and the young men in our football program. I have truly enjoyed being the head coach at KU and know that it is in a better place now than when I arrived.

"To our student-athletes, I want you to remember that you came to play for KU and earn a degree here. So, I implore you to stay and build on what we started and do all of the things we talked about doing together. There is a bright future for all of you and for KU Football."

Miles' attorney, Peter Ginsberg, on Saturday described Kansas' decision to put Miles on leave as being based on "media blowback" and categorized it as being "disturbing and unfair."

The law firm Taylor Porter conducted the investigation on behalf of LSU. Ginsberg told ESPN in a statement Thursday that the results of the investigation "should put an end to the baseless, inaccurate media reports that Coach Les Miles engaged in an inappropriate touching of an Athletic Department student volunteer eight years ago."

On Friday, a second report, this one conducted by the law firm Husch Blackwell, detailed systemic failures by LSU to appropriately report incidents of athletic-related sexual misconduct and abuse. Part of that report showed that former LSU athletic director Joe Alleva recommended in 2013 that Miles be fired as coach because of the accusations of inappropriate behavior with female students.

The 67-year-old Miles was 3-18 in two seasons at Kansas, including an 0-9 record in 2020. The Jayhawks' only Big 12 win during Miles' two seasons in Lawrence came over Texas Tech in 2019. Kansas hasn't won more than three games in a season since 2009.

Miles guided LSU to a national title in 2007, and the Tigers played for a national championship on his watch in 2011.

Before Long hired him at KU, Miles had been out of coaching for parts of three seasons after being fired by LSU in 2016.

Tulane's Willie Fritz, Buffalo's Lance Leipold, Nevada's Jay Norvell and Louisiana Tech's Skip Holtz could be potential candidates for Kansas, which likely will focus its search on FBS head coaches.

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well, Kansas’ “investigation” didn’t take long. It was “mutual.” Yeah, right.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31030339/les-miles-kansas-jayhawks-head-football-coach

Les Miles out as Kansas Jayhawks' head football coach

Les Miles is out as Kansas' head football coach three days after he was placed on administrative leave amid accusations of inappropriate behavior toward female students during his head-coaching tenure at LSU.

Kansas athletic director Jeff Long on Friday said the university would be conducting a full review to determine the appropriate steps on Miles' future, and late Monday evening announced that they had "mutually agreed to part ways."

"I am extremely disappointed for our university, fans and everyone involved with our football program," Long said in a statement. "There is a lot of young talent on this football team, and I have no doubt we will identify the right individual to lead this program."

Long said the school will use a search firm to assist in finding Miles' successor. Long did not use a search firm when he hired Miles, a friend from their time together at Michigan in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Mike DeBord, who was hired last month as Kansas' offensive coordinator, will serve as the program's acting head coach until an interim head coach is determined.

On Thursday, a report released on behalf of LSU showed that a 2013 internal investigation at the school accused Miles of inappropriate behavior toward female students, including allegations he contacted some via Facebook and text, met them off campus alone and kissed at least one of them.

The report did not find he had sexual relationships with any of the women, and Miles strongly denied kissing the student, saying he didn't do anything wrong and that he was mentoring young women at the university.

According to a copy of Miles' employment contract with Kansas, the university would have "just cause" to end its agreement with Miles if the coach had "discreditable conduct that is inconsistent with the professional standards expected of a head coach of a collegiate sports team."

Another clause in the contract that defines "just cause" is "participation in by head coach of any act, situation, or occurrence, or any conduct, which in Athletics of KU's judgment brings Head Coach and/or KU into public disrepute, embarrassment, contempt, or ridicule ... "

It's unclear whether these clauses were triggered; terms of the separation agreement are expected to be released in coming days, according to the university's statement. Miles had three years left on a five-year contract he signed with Kansas in November 2018.

"This is certainly a difficult day for me and for my family," Miles said in a statement on Monday. "I love this university and the young men in our football program. I have truly enjoyed being the head coach at KU and know that it is in a better place now than when I arrived.

"To our student-athletes, I want you to remember that you came to play for KU and earn a degree here. So, I implore you to stay and build on what we started and do all of the things we talked about doing together. There is a bright future for all of you and for KU Football."

Miles' attorney, Peter Ginsberg, on Saturday described Kansas' decision to put Miles on leave as being based on "media blowback" and categorized it as being "disturbing and unfair."

The law firm Taylor Porter conducted the investigation on behalf of LSU. Ginsberg told ESPN in a statement Thursday that the results of the investigation "should put an end to the baseless, inaccurate media reports that Coach Les Miles engaged in an inappropriate touching of an Athletic Department student volunteer eight years ago."

On Friday, a second report, this one conducted by the law firm Husch Blackwell, detailed systemic failures by LSU to appropriately report incidents of athletic-related sexual misconduct and abuse. Part of that report showed that former LSU athletic director Joe Alleva recommended in 2013 that Miles be fired as coach because of the accusations of inappropriate behavior with female students.

The 67-year-old Miles was 3-18 in two seasons at Kansas, including an 0-9 record in 2020. The Jayhawks' only Big 12 win during Miles' two seasons in Lawrence came over Texas Tech in 2019. Kansas hasn't won more than three games in a season since 2009.

Miles guided LSU to a national title in 2007, and the Tigers played for a national championship on his watch in 2011.

Before Long hired him at KU, Miles had been out of coaching for parts of three seasons after being fired by LSU in 2016.

Tulane's Willie Fritz, Buffalo's Lance Leipold, Nevada's Jay Norvell and Louisiana Tech's Skip Holtz could be potential candidates for Kansas, which likely will focus its search on FBS head coaches.

He didnt even make it till Tuesday

45 minutes ago, DT said:

He didnt even make it till Tuesday

I just wonder how many guys there are out there like Les Miles, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lots of people with this particular skeleton in the closet, I bet. In all walks of life.