Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU gave richest contract in school history to football coach, not basketball. What it means.

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/03/08/indiana-ad-scott-dolson-rewards-tom-allen-new-contract-after-football-success/4626775001/

(Note: story is behind a paywall)

With one renegotiated contract — his boldest move since taking over as athletic director last summer — Scott Dolson made a statement of intent in more ways than one.

The past nine months offered Dolson a rough introduction. College sports have been hit hard, financially and infrastructurally, by the COVID-19 pandemic. Putting out fires has overruled over advancing projects.

Restructuring Allen’s contract just one year after it was first signed was both justified by IU’s performance in 2020, and also Dolson’s first real opportunity to outline priorities through actions. This one spoke loud and clear.

“Tom Allen has proven himself not only to be the right person for our student-athletes and our program, but one of the best football coaches in the country,” Dolson said in a statement accompanying Indiana’s announcement of Allen’s new deal, which will pay him $4.3 million next year an average annual salary of $4.9 million through 2027.

The primary amendments to Allen’s contracted, first signed in December 2019, are related to increased compensation and buyout figures. The undercurrent message was less tangible and more important.

Sport-specifically, it underscored Indiana’s renewed commitment to football. Handed a blueprint for success under its fifth-year coach, the department has doubled down repeatedly now on Allen and his staff.

In the past three years, it has handed out its largest salaries ever for an offensive coordinator, a defensive coordinator, a position coach and a head of strength and conditioning. In some cases, Indiana is paying as well as some of the top programs in the country.

Now, it has handed the richest contract in school history not to a basketball coach, but to a football coach.

“The enthusiasm for our program is at an all-time high,” Dolson’s statement continued, “and the future of Indiana football is in great hands.”

I supposed with this increased compensation comes highly increased expectations.  Can Mr. Allen deliver?  

And does this officially make IU a "football school"?

I've always wondered about the inferiority complex Purdue fans seem to have regarding their public university counterparts from Bloomington.  Like why does the crowd at Ross-Ade erupt with "IU Sucks" even they are not actually playing the Hoosiers?  

Could it be the five banners hanging in Assembly Hall versus the zero hanging in Mackey Arena?  Why hasn't Purdue basketball ever been able to "get over the hump" and bring a men's national championship banner back to West Lafayette?

I would say some extremely Bad Luck on a couple final four level teams under the Painter era 

Can't speak too much on the Keady era, though I was following, I was too young to really have an opinion. 

I know that there are many that loathe the chanting of that, including the School President and even Matt Painter himself.   

In rivalies like PU/IU, isn't some that expected on both sides??    No different than IU student section chanting Hoosier Daddy over the years 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I would say some extremely Bad Luck on a couple final four level teams under the Painter era 

Can't speak too much on the Keady era, though I was following, I was too young to really have an opinion. 

I know that there are many that loathe the chanting of that, including the School President and even Matt Painter himself.   

In rivalies like PU/IU, isn't some that expected on both sides??    No different than IU student section chanting Hoosier Daddy over the years 

Indiana used to be the undisputed top program in the Big Ten.  Then they became the second best program in the conference.  Then the third.  Then the fourth, fith and sixth.  Now they are about the 9th or 10th best program in the conference, behind :

OSU

UM

MSU

PU

IL

WISC

IO

MD

MN/NW/IN

RU

PSU

NEB

How could this program erosion occur?  Its taken 15 years.  I dont know how IU jumps back over all of these schools to get back into the top 3.  Have no idea if Steve Alford, Randy Wittman, Mike Woodson,  Pat Knight or any other ex Hoosier can make that happen.  Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan are two names that come to mind

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

So the IU student section chants that during a game vs. Eastern Michigan?  And what exactly is the connection of "Hoosier Daddy" to Purdue University? I just don't find "Hoosier Daddy" the kind of pejorative that "IU Sucks" is.

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So the IU student section chants that during a game vs. Eastern Michigan?  And what exactly is the connection of "Hoosier Daddy" to Purdue University? I just don't find "Hoosier Daddy" the kind of pejorative that "IU Sucks" is.

Ok

18 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed, over the Keady era they seemed like they had that “little man” syndrome. Although they out performed Indiana in the Big Ten over those years,except the years IU was winning national championships. 

When does the statue of limitations run out on the come back "BANNERS"  (34 years) 

Same can be said about supposedly blue blood UCLA .... 1995 for them....   

No doubt that is the last thing on the Purdue Basketball resume to fall, trip to the Final Four and hope to be last team standing, I would contend things are trending very well in that direction, and have been trending that way for more than just a couple of years for the Boilers. 

@Bobref  Please tell me you are not a reversible jacket guy??  

Onto IU Football:   With that kind of investment (same that PU gave thier coach who brought back life and recruiting to a dormat program) would it be safe to say that IU (just like PU) will need to actually beat teams this year who finish with a winning record? 

3 hours ago, southend said:

What it really means is, the next Indiana Basketball coach, probably sooner than later, will have the largest contract in IU sports history. 

Maybe IU should hire Matt Painter.  He knows how to win at IU.

46 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

When does the statue of limitations run out on the come back "BANNERS"  (34 years) 

Same can be said about supposedly blue blood UCLA .... 1995 for them....   

No doubt that is the last thing on the Purdue Basketball resume to fall, trip to the Final Four and hope to be last team standing, I would contend things are trending very well in that direction, and have been trending that way for more than just a couple of years for the Boilers. 

@Bobref  Please tell me you are not a reversible jacket guy??  

Onto IU Football:   With that kind of investment (same that PU gave thier coach who brought back life and recruiting to a dormat program) would it be safe to say that IU (just like PU) will need to actually beat teams this year who finish with a winning record? 

Schedule all the directional michigan schools and sneak a few out in the conference.  BOOM.  6 wins and dancing in the taxslayer, mudslinger, turf builder, boca raton outback bowl.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:57 AM, Muda69 said:

I've always wondered about the inferiority complex Purdue fans seem to have regarding their public university counterparts from Bloomington.  Like why does the crowd at Ross-Ade erupt with "IU Sucks" even they are not actually playing the Hoosiers? 

IDK, particularly since Purdue produces graduates who excel in things that actually matter. No one from IU landed on the moon.