Jump to content

IFCA North - South All Star Game Results Indicate Urgent Need for Format Change


Recommended Posts

Guest DT
HHF COMMENTARY / IFCA North - South All Star Game Results Indicate Urgent Need for Format Change
 
The South All Stars overwhelmed and outclassed the North in a 45-7 drubbing on Friday night at Anderson University, and the outcome could have been even worse for the North.
Its become abundantly clear to anyone watching that there is a huge competitive imbalance between the North and the South, especially at the big school level, and we see this manifest itself every Thanksgiving weekend when The MIC sends one of its rotating 6A state champions into the title game to put a beatdown on the North representative (unless there are 2 MIC schools in the final)
 
We have spoken with many head coaches in our on going interview series, and the one common thread mentioned repeatedly by northern Indiana coaches is the big strength and speed advantage the south has over their teams. Many Indy area schools have dedicated strength and conditioning coaches, and have facilities that mirror those you will find on college campuses. You also see more football-track and field crossover in the south, which is a huge training advantage for those schools that encourage , or demand, dual sport participation.
 
When I spoke with North Coach Grant Moser of South Adams during All Star week, he marvelled at the physical size of the south roster as he observed the players participating in various all star week activities.
 
Its not DNA. Its not the water in Indianapolis. And it has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that 18 year old central Indiana football players are, by and large, bigger, stronger and faster than their counterparts in the North. This is clearly due to a greater emphasis, and investment in strength and conditioning .
 
A simple short term proposal to even things out is to scrap the North - South format and switch to an East - West model. Draw a line right down the center of Indianapolis and assign MIC members Warren Central, Carmel, Lawrence Central and Lawrence North to the East, and Ben Davis, North Central, Center Grove and Pike to the West.
 
Same with the HCC. Noblesville, Franklin Central, HSE and Fishers to the East. Brownsburg, Avon, Westfield and Zionsville to the West.
 
Undoubtedly we would see better distribution of talent , and likely a better product delivered on the field.
 
Im also a fan of scrapping the North - South post season tournament alignment for an East - West model, for all the same reasons previously mentioned. Thats a discussion for another date
 
IFCA has ownership of the all star game, and they control every aspect of the event from staff and player selection to running the event on site.
 
We have no control over demographic or socio economic trends, population shifts, or other trends that may or may not impact competitive balance in high school football. Clearly, all of those trends mentioned reinforce the reality that Central Indiana continues to get bigger and stronger while other areas of the state, from a competitive standpoint, remain stagnant or fall into decline.
 
What we can control is our response and reaction to those trends. Do we accept the reality that change is happening and respond accordingly? Or do we ignore the trends and assume everything will balance out in the long run?
 
Its time for IFCA to take a hard look at this and consider making some changes. That game Friday night was not a good look for the organization.
May be an image of text
 
 
 
 
 
11
 

60e8edd994f4f.image.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, DT said:
HHF COMMENTARY / IFCA North - South All Star Game Results Indicate Urgent Need for Format Change
 
The South All Stars overwhelmed and outclassed the North in a 45-7 drubbing on Friday night at Anderson University, and the outcome could have been even worse for the North.
Its become abundantly clear to anyone watching that there is a huge competitive imbalance between the North and the South, especially at the big school level, and we see this manifest itself every Thanksgiving weekend when The MIC sends one of its rotating 6A state champions into the title game to put a beatdown on the North representative (unless there are 2 MIC schools in the final)
 
We have spoken with many head coaches in our on going interview series, and the one common thread mentioned repeatedly by northern Indiana coaches is the big strength and speed advantage the south has over their teams. Many Indy area schools have dedicated strength and conditioning coaches, and have facilities that mirror those you will find on college campuses. You also see more football-track and field crossover in the south, which is a huge training advantage for those schools that encourage , or demand, dual sport participation.
 
When I spoke with North Coach Grant Moser of South Adams during All Star week, he marvelled at the physical size of the south roster as he observed the players participating in various all star week activities.
 
Its not DNA. Its not the water in Indianapolis. And it has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that 18 year old central Indiana football players are, by and large, bigger, stronger and faster than their counterparts in the North. This is clearly due to a greater emphasis, and investment in strength and conditioning .
 
A simple short term proposal to even things out is to scrap the North - South format and switch to an East - West model. Draw a line right down the center of Indianapolis and assign MIC members Warren Central, Carmel, Lawrence Central and Lawrence North to the East, and Ben Davis, North Central, Center Grove and Pike to the West.
 
Same with the HCC. Noblesville, Franklin Central, HSE and Fishers to the East. Brownsburg, Avon, Westfield and Zionsville to the West.
 
Undoubtedly we would see better distribution of talent , and likely a better product delivered on the field.
 
Im also a fan of scrapping the North - South post season tournament alignment for an East - West model, for all the same reasons previously mentioned. Thats a discussion for another date
 
IFCA has ownership of the all star game, and they control every aspect of the event from staff and player selection to running the event on site.
 
We have no control over demographic or socio economic trends, population shifts, or other trends that may or may not impact competitive balance in high school football. Clearly, all of those trends mentioned reinforce the reality that Central Indiana continues to get bigger and stronger while other areas of the state, from a competitive standpoint, remain stagnant or fall into decline.
 
What we can control is our response and reaction to those trends. Do we accept the reality that change is happening and respond accordingly? Or do we ignore the trends and assume everything will balance out in the long run?
 
Its time for IFCA to take a hard look at this and consider making some changes. That game Friday night was not a good look for the organization.
May be an image of text
 
 
 
 
 
 
11
 

60e8edd994f4f.image.jpg

You’re on fire today DT.  Once again speaking facts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the honor of coaching in this game.  A lot of folks did not expect us (South) to win.  The facts are on Friday July 9th 2021 the South was the better team.  Up front it took one possession to see that the South players came into the week in very good physical shape.  Additionally as a coaching staff, we had the South kids ready to play.  I cannot speak for the North, but we as a staff felt we had a solid game plan for selection of our team, position selection of those who made the team, offensive and defensive install, and subbing/personnel rotations during the game.  The North had won the game several years in a row.  Our goal was to win the game.  Our kids made some great plays and a number of those were not from MIC  schools (Centerville, South Dearborn, Bloomington South). AND a late replacement from 1A Covenant Christian was named MVP.  I think it is a good format.  The South Team won this year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest DT
6 hours ago, Coach Dowell said:

I got the honor of coaching in this game.  A lot of folks did not expect us (South) to win.  The facts are on Friday July 9th 2021 the South was the better team.  Up front it took one possession to see that the South players came into the week in very good physical shape.  Additionally as a coaching staff, we had the South kids ready to play.  I cannot speak for the North, but we as a staff felt we had a solid game plan for selection of our team, position selection of those who made the team, offensive and defensive install, and subbing/personnel rotations during the game.  The North had won the game several years in a row.  Our goal was to win the game.  Our kids made some great plays and a number of those were not from MIC  schools (Centerville, South Dearborn, Bloomington South). AND a late replacement from 1A Covenant Christian was named MVP.  I think it is a good format.  The South Team won this year.

You make a good point about the MIC.  Its not all about the big schools and the big conferences.

What it really comes down to is the eye test.  

As players, fans, coaches, etc., we are trained to visually react to what we see on the field.

What we saw at Anderson was a game that looked like a big 6A school vs a 3A or 4A school.

Hence the outcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DT said:
Many Indy area schools have dedicated strength and conditioning coaches, and have facilities that mirror those you will find on college campuses.

Where does the money come from to pay for such an extravagance in a game played by children?

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Where does the money come from to pay for such an extravagance in a game played by children?

 

From those who believe it is money well spent.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest DT
2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Where does the money come from to pay for such an extravagance in a game played by children?

 

Children?

Really?

Cmon Dude.  

These are young men.  I think it is fantastic that affluent suburban communities are investing taxpayer dollars to enhance infrastucture that provides additional educational benefits for students 

Why should we penalize or demonize  a great school district like FW Carroll because they choose to spend money on better facilities that will benefit their kids, and in turn enhance their property values?

Youve been living in Hotdog land way too long my friend.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Children?

Really?

Cmon Dude.  

These are young men.  I think it is fantastic that affluent suburban communities are investing taxpayer dollars to enhance infrastucture that provides additional educational benefits for students 

Why should we penalize or demonize  a great school district like FW Carroll because they choose to spend money on better facilities that will benefit their kids, and in turn enhance their property values?

Youve been living in Hotdog land way too long my friend.  

What about the non-suburban schools that are consistently having to pass referendums yet turning around and paying S&C instructors and football coaches near/over 6 figure salaries, despite their published pay scales indicating they shouldn’t be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Children?

Really?

Cmon Dude.  

These are young men.  I think it is fantastic that affluent suburban communities are investing taxpayer dollars to enhance infrastucture that provides additional educational benefits for students 

Why should we penalize or demonize  a great school district like FW Carroll because they choose to spend money on better facilities that will benefit their kids, and in turn enhance their property values?

Youve been living in Hotdog land way too long my friend.  

Yes DT, by the standards/norms of American society most of them are still defined as children.  And IMHO these expense of dedicated strength coaches,  turf fields,  taj-mahal like stadiums, multiple uniforms, etc.  are just extravagances heaped on by adults in a vain attempt to glorify what is really a basic game,  a game played by children.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Not a real answer, but ok.

 

Not a real question, either. By terming it an “extravagance,” you’ve pre-determined the answer. “Have you stopped beating your wife?”

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Not a real question, either. By terming it an “extravagance,” you’ve pre-determined the answer. “Have you stopped beating your wife?”

No, Bob, I haven't "pre-determined" my answer.  It's an honest question,  what funding mechanism is paying for these dedicated strength/conditioning coaches for high school football programs?  

Also the "gotcha" question "Have you stopped beating your wife" is usually prefaced as being a strict yes/no answer.  This is not that, not by a long shot.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest DT
8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes DT, by the standards/norms of American society most of them are still defined as children.  And IMHO these expense of dedicated strength coaches,  turf fields,  taj-mahal like stadiums, multiple uniforms, etc.  are just extravagances heaped on by adults in a vain attempt to glorify what is really a basic game,  a game played by children.

 

Its called capitalism

If Im a successful professional, I live in an affluent community with a Triple A rated school with great facilities, great teachers and a highly rated school that enhances my property value and increases my net worth.  And I gladly pay my property taxes because they are an investment in the community, not an expense.

If Im a poorly paid middle manager or blue collar worker, I live in Frankfort or some other blue collar community with an old school, poor facilities, below average teachers, crumbling infrastructure and a declining housing market.

We all make choices that deternine how far we rise or how steep we fall.

And lets not blame  the government fior our station in life.  

 

Edited by DT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Its called capitalism

If Im a successful professional, I live in an affluent community with a Triple A rated school with great facilities, great teachers and a highly rated school that enhances my property value and increases my net worth.  And I gladly pay my property taxes because they are an investment in the community, not an expense.

If Im a poorly paid middle manager or blue collar worker, I live in Frankfort or some other blue collar community with an old school, poor facilities, below average teachers, crumbling infrastructure and a declining housing market.

We all make choices that deternine how far we rise or how steep we fall.

And lets not blame  the government fior our station in life.  

 

I choose to live in Frankfort, BTW while making a very good white-collar living (neither "poorly paid" or a "middle manager") and successful career,  because my spouse and I frankly came to despise the rat-race, urban sprawl, mentality of the large metropolitan areas in which we used to live.

Enjoy the property bubble while you can.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Its called capitalism

If Im a successful professional, I live in an affluent community with a Triple A rated school with great facilities, great teachers and a highly rated school that enhances my property value and increases my net worth.  And I gladly pay my property taxes because they are an investment in the community, not an expense.

If Im a poorly paid middle manager or blue collar worker, I live in Frankfort or some other blue collar community with an old school, poor facilities, below average teachers, crumbling infrastructure and a declining housing market.

We all make choices that deternine how far we rise or how steep we fall.

And lets not blame  the government fior our station in life.  

 

Now do non-affluent communities who ALSO spend extravagantly...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, temptation said:

Now do non-affluent communities who ALSO spend extravagantly...

I also wouldn't call mindlessly approving property tax hike after property tax hike to build football palaces in order to increase my property's value and "net worth" capitalism.  More like a socialism shell game.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest DT
1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

I choose to live in Frankfort, BTW while making a very good white-collar living (neither "poorly paid" or a "middle manager") and successful career,  because my spouse and I frankly came to despise the rat-race, urban sprawl, mentality of the large metropolitan areas in which we used to live.

Enjoy the property bubble while you can.

 

You are likely the exception to the rule.  Maybe we should tell the Center Grove kids that they have to have one arm tied behind their back when they play Decatur Central this year because CG families are much better off than are DC families.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DT said:

You are likely the exception to the rule.  Maybe we should tell the Center Grove kids that they have to have one arm tied behind their back when they play Decatur Central this year because CG families are much better off than are DC families.

Sure, it may keep the children's game competative.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest DT
17 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Sure, it may keep the children's game competative.

 

LOL

The whole "government school", "childrens game" schtick is just a little silly and disingenuous in my view.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, temptation said:

What about the non-suburban schools that are consistently having to pass referendums yet turning around and paying S&C instructors and football coaches near/over 6 figure salaries, despite their published pay scales indicating they shouldn’t be?

😁

Oh snap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DT said:

LOL

The whole "government school", "childrens game" schtick is just a little silly and disingenuous in my view.

 

 

Sorry you feel that way DT.  

A "public" school is a government school, full stop.   High school football is a game played by children, full stop.  Using flowery, emotion-based adjectives doesn't make those statements any less true.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest DT
1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Sorry you feel that way DT.  

A "public" school is a government school, full stop.   High school football is a game played by children, full stop.  Using flowery, emotion-based adjectives doesn't make those statements any less true.

 

If it wasnt for these government schools, we'd all be walking around with our knuckles dragging on the ground like a bunch of uneducated mongrels.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting idea, but there are some things to keep in mind. One, it really is not an all star game. Starting at the region level, each class must be represented in each region. One thing that has been brought up before is maybe having a 1A-3A game, and a 4A-6A game. Another issue is who is available to play. Many DI programs do not want their players participating in the game. Another factor is the way the regions are drawn.....Indianapolis is its own region while regions 6 and 8 surround Indy, and the distance is pretty extreme. Region 6 has North Montgomery down to the area just North of Evansville, and goes to the Indiana border. Maybe split Indy into a North and South region? or even an East and West? I know some of the distance issue is unavoidable; so with that being the case, maybe use sectional groups to vote on players? 

All that said, in previous years, the North has been able to hold its own in the game. Blowouts are not the norm. I did not go this year, but the previous few years I did go, it is well attended. So, I am not sure there will be much urgency to change things. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...