3.  Mooresville (1) - 63

4.  Mt. Vernon (Fortville) - 58

5.  Hobart - 51

6.  East Central - 44

7.  Leo - 35

8.  East Noble (1) - 33

9.  Lowell - 29

10. Evansville Memorial - 22

Others Receiving Votes:  Evansville Central (18), Martinsville (9), New Haven (7), Columbia City (5), Marion (5), Jasper (4), Pendleton Heights (4), New Prairie (3), Delta (2), Mississinewa (1)

4A is no joke. Don’t sleep on #10 Memorial. If QB play is good I think this could be coach Hurley’s best overall team. Memorial has proven to be the most dangerous tournament team consistently in SW Indiana under the current coaching staff. Not sure anyone will have an answer for Roncalli and Chatard. 

Edited by Screagle

It seems like every time Chatard gets bumped up it runs into teams on the upswing or at pinnacle...with Chatard teams that are solid but probably not what they were the couple of years prior (ie. Chatard v. New Pal in 2013).  Chatard was a top 8 (probably top 5 team in 2019) team in all classes these last 2 years (check Sags and other analytics) and defeated Roncalli both of those years.  Chatard defeated Roncalli 53-7  in 2019 and 28-7 in 2020  for a combined score of 81-14.  Timing being everything, the IHSAA has had the foresight to pair Chatard and Roncalli in Sectional....AGAIN - as they would ALWAYS pair them along with Cathedral (Chatard being the smallest of these schools).  

For the record, no one more than me wants Chatard to "stick" in 4A (the IHSAA disagrees, apparently, by always seeming to pair up Cathedral, Chatard and Roncalli when and if possible).  

All that said, Coach Doyle seems to be able to build "teams".  In my opinion, the 2018 Chatard team was individually more talented than the 2019 group but the 2019 was light years better....as a TEAM. 

Maybe he can do it again this year.

16 hours ago, Screagle said:

4A is no joke. Don’t sleep on #10 Memorial. If QB play is good I think this could be coach Hurley’s best overall team. Memorial has proven to be the most dangerous tournament team consistently in SW Indiana under the current coaching staff. Not sure anyone will have an answer for Roncalli and Chatard. 

This is the lowest Memorial will be in this poll all year, and frankly, it's way too low as it is (I know, I know, preseason polls mean nothing). I know they stumbled a little early in the season last year but they finished 8-4 in a very tough conference and return almost their entire team from what I hear. They are a top 2 team in 4a in my opinion.

As Lysander mentioned, this is likely going to be a "down" year for Chatard, but we'll see how it plays out. They will have a very young team that will need to grow up quickly.

Right now, my money would be on Memorial and Roncalli. Regardless, 4a south SS is a meat grinder. I think this is probably going to be the strongest 4a we've seen in several years.

• Like 1

Coach Hurley puts his pieces together as good or better than any Coach I have watched.  Make no mistake, Memorial has some dudes.  If they come together offensively, I would expect them to never be lower than this on the weekly Coach's polls.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheDoctor22 said:

This is the lowest Memorial will be in this poll all year, and frankly, it's way too low as it is (I know, I know, preseason polls mean nothing). I know they stumbled a little early in the season last year but they finished 8-4 in a very tough conference and return almost their entire team from what I hear. They are a top 2 team in 4a in my opinion.

As Lysander mentioned, this is likely going to be a "down" year for Chatard, but we'll see how it plays out. They will have a very young team that will need to grow up quickly.

Right now, my money would be on Memorial and Roncalli. Regardless, 4a south SS is a meat grinder. I think this is probably going to be the strongest 4a we've seen in several years.

Could it be that the polls are putting a lot of weight in losing Pence at QB?

QB play is so important at all levels and last year Memorial had a QB that did not make mistakes (17TDs/2 INTs) and completed 60% of his passes.

I have been looking at their stats on Maxpreps and for the life of me, I can't make heads or tails of them.    Maybe this is a case where the stats don't show what they have coming back.

They only rushed for 93 yards per game and that includes the Reitz game where they rushed for 269 yards (1/4 of their season total).   EM was not really throwing like crazy (Pence was 68th in the state with 149 passing yards/game).

Not trying to slam anyone here, I am just a stat nerd trying to understand.

10 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Could it be that the polls are putting a lot of weight in losing Pence at QB?

QB play is so important at all levels and last year Memorial had a QB that did not make mistakes (17TDs/2 INTs) and completed 60% of his passes.

I have been looking at their stats on Maxpreps and for the life of me, I can't make heads or tails of them.    Maybe this is a case where the stats don't show what they have coming back.

They only rushed for 93 yards per game and that includes the Reitz game where they rushed for 269 yards (1/4 of their season total).   EM was not really throwing like crazy (Pence was 68th in the state with 149 passing yards/game).

Not trying to slam anyone here, I am just a stat nerd trying to understand.

Very very young last year with lots of new faces and limited practice to work Hurley’s no huddle offense. Very sound defensively. 

I’m guessing the 2019 Memorial team had average offensive numbers. The last two teams have played outstanding team defense and limited turnovers.  Win field position and let the D work. Obviously the Combs kid could take over a game in 2019. 

Edited by Screagle

Defensively, we are a big up front and should have another great defense. However, our season will depend upon our offense since last year we struggled a bit. Our Running game should improve with Tyler and Russell returning back, maybe give some snaps to Baker. Ellspermann will be our starting QB, unless one of the Freshman makes the jump. Ellspermann has only been in 1.5 games as a starter, 2H of VL and all of the Castle game. Don’t make any mistakes, Ellspermann is a hell of a athlete, and reminds me a little of Grant Gribbins from the 2008/2009 teams. We should have another good season, probably regional/SS bound, since on paper that is were we are at. Time will tell if we will be very good, since the SIAC race is tight 

16 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Defensively, we are a big up front and should have another great defense. However, our season will depend upon our offense since last year we struggled a bit. Our Running game should improve with Tyler and Russell returning back, maybe give some snaps to Baker. Ellspermann will be our starting QB, unless one of the Freshman makes the jump. Ellspermann has only been in 1.5 games as a starter, 2H of VL and all of the Castle game. Don’t make any mistakes, Ellspermann is a hell of a athlete, and reminds me a little of Grant Gribbins from the 2008/2009 teams. We should have another good season, probably regional/SS bound, since on paper that is were we are at. Time will tell if we will be very good, since the SIAC race is tight 

I definitely remember Gribbins.  The dude eviscerated Chatard two years running.

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

I definitely remember Gribbins.  The dude eviscerated Chatard two years running.

I’m guessing tiger fan 20 is meaning built like or as tough as Grant Gribbons. With all do respect Ellspermann is nowhere near the football player Gribbons was. Not close or I’d say 4A state rep from the south will be the 14-0 tigers.  Lol!  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fenderbender said:

My over reaction from last night:

1. Roncalli
  2. Mooresville
  3. East Central
  4. Leo
  5. East Nobel
  6. Chatard
  7. Jasper
  8. Mt. Vernon
  9. Hobart
  10. Memorial

I think that is a pretty way of seeing 4A after week 1. Memorial just needs to get their act together if they want to compete, I’m sure practice was not fun this morning