Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Outlook - 1A

On 10/1/2022 at 12:17 AM, FlyingHigh said:

Possibly, but I'm curious to hear your explanation as to why? AC's defensive strength is its front 7. Teams haven't been able to run on them at all. North Judson is a run-heavy team. If anything, I'd say that plays into the AC defense's strength. I'm not sure how personnel would matchup - maybe North Judson's boys up front are that much tougher than AC's front 7 (although I'd put AC's front 7 against anyone's in 1A)- but AC's defense is better set up to stop what North Judson wants to do than they would be against a passing team.

I don't think Adams Central has played anyone that has near the running game that NJ has. As for coaching and assignments, I hope the coaches are telling the DEs to close on that fullback because if they aren't it would be a long night. I think thats what bias was trying to get at. There have been times the DEs haven't closed and against other teams you can get away with it. I haven't watched any AC football this year other than the Eastside game so I have no idea. I just think thats what he is getting at. If you don't close and take away option number one of the fullback, you are in trouble.

15 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I don't think Adams Central has played anyone that has near the running game that NJ has. As for coaching and assignments, I hope the coaches are telling the DEs to close on that fullback because if they aren't it would be a long night. I think thats what bias was trying to get at. There have been times the DEs haven't closed and against other teams you can get away with it. I haven't watched any AC football this year other than the Eastside game so I have no idea. I just think thats what he is getting at. If you don't close and take away option number one of the fullback, you are in trouble.

Agreed on how to play a running scheme like North Judson's. Problem is AC hasn't played a team that runs that style of offense and likely won't until the postseason. I'd put Eastside's physicality with about any 1A & 2A team, but their running game was not like North Judson's will be. Totally different schemes. Maybe a matchup against Madison Grant in sectional could somewhat prepare them, but MG's offense likely isn't anywhere close to as dangerous as NJ's.

Just now, FlyingHigh said:

Agreed on how to play a running scheme like North Judson's. Problem is AC hasn't played a team that runs that style of offense and likely won't until the postseason. I'd put Eastside's physicality with about any 1A & 2A team, but their running game was not like North Judson's will be. Totally different schemes. Maybe a matchup against Madison Grant in sectional could somewhat prepare them, but MG's offense likely isn't anywhere close to as dangerous as NJ's.

AC and Lutheran are still the teams to beat but Judson is trying to get there. Judson is a very good team and they put their focus on the game at hand each week.  I look for them to continue to get better each week and make some noise come playoff time.

42 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

No I mean the DE to stay home and watch the QB to pull it out for an option. The DL and ILB will have control that FB. Triton got burned multiple times with DE crashing in on that FB.

NJ fullback is a monster!  Especially for a sophomore!  Triton attempted to stop the dive play with a 3 front which didn’t work at all and never adjusted the entire game!  I’m sur NJ would then begin to feed #40 if you stop # 48 but we never really got to that point.  NJ is extremely good on offense and you had better get #89 blocked on defense he is an elite pass rusher.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

If the DE stays home and waits on the QB, NJ is getting 4 yards a pop on you every play.

If he doesn't, they score a 50 yd TD. All depends on the defensive alignment. 

Also depends on if the OL can get a push against the DL & ILBs

Edited by Basementbias
Addition

On 9/25/2022 at 3:00 PM, WWFan said:

Providence just dropped from 2A due to enrollment. But you got it right. Those 2 are the class of 48. I think Providence wins. 

Don't discount South Spencer.  They play a killer schedule in the PAC. We will learn more about them this week when they play NC Farmersburg.

12 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Defeating the option takes a stout interior D... the Def ends destroy the QB every time he comes down the line weather he has the ball or not.... the D bac has the pitch man.... any breakdown is trouble for secondary... always fun to watch those battles!!

Growing up running the veer in Texas, and likewise having to defend it, the most emphasized aspect by our defensive coordinator was that the QB was mercilessly punished on every play whether he had the ball or not.  Our goal was that, by the start of the second half, that triple option veer was going to be a dive play because the QB never wanted to get to the end again for the rest of the game.  The days of the point guard QB disappeared pretty quickly in that league.  You had to have QBs that came from the fullback or linebacker ranks to survive the game and keep it as a triple option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be a little confusion between speed option and veer. Those 2 plays are not defended the same. No matter what the play, DEs can't step across the line and sit. So the DE's technique is basically the same regardless of the type of option. They need to close the gap created by the downblock by the OT. Closing that gap will take care of the DE's responsibility. Speed option? DE destroys the QB. Veer? DE destroys the fullback. Essentially the DE just tackles the player that runs to the gap that he should have closed into. I can assure you that if any team that plays North Judson tells their DE to step across and sit and wait for the QB, they will give up close to 200 yards to Benson.

Gotta trust OLBs to take QB on veer and secondary to take pitchman.

1 hour ago, BendNotBreak said:

The DE sits n waits on no one... they have one job... viciously destroy the QB every snap....   u need to have at least 4 down lineman to execute it...

Back in the day ... before helmets ... we ran 5-3 against the veer.  And yes, the playside DE's job was to completely blow up the QB every play.

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

Back in the day ... before helmets ... we ran 5-3 against the veer.  And yes, the playside DE's job was to completely blow up the QB every play.

I've seen it done w a 4-4... depends on personel I spose.... a dream for a team that has aggressive playside DEs with one sole purpose!  N fun for the OLBs when the DEs execute.... inside LBs can expect alotta bell ringing..... 

I like the 4-4 approach by having the unblocked DE close on the fullback, scraping middle backers making quarterback pitch, and outside backer taking away pitch man with a one high safety running the alley to make everyone right. Everyone has to be discipline every play, and gotta have some tough guys on defense and it sounds like AC has that. I just feel like if you don't have that DE close and hit FB before he even crosses the line, he is gaining 3-4 yards a carry because he will be two yards past LOS before anyone hits him. Usually the FB's in those offenses are some dudes and I'd rather hit them before they get going down hill.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I like the 4-4 approach by having the unblocked DE close on the fullback, scraping middle backers making quarterback pitch, and outside backer taking away pitch man with a one high safety running the alley to make everyone right. Everyone has to be discipline every play, and gotta have some tough guys on defense and it sounds like AC has that. I just feel like if you don't have that DE close and hit FB before he even crosses the line, he is gaining 3-4 yards a carry because he will be two yards past LOS before anyone hits him. Usually the FB's in those offenses are some dudes and I'd rather hit them before they get going down hill.

If firing middel LBs can't stop the FB w safety support... that'd b a halftime adj... or vice versa... either way... luv cing a great D going against option teams!!

On 8/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, kdets89 said:

South Putnam.

No one has talked about South Putnam, but they might be the toughest out in the 1A south.  The way the ping pong balls bounce, Lutheran/South Putnam might just be the first round game in sectional 47.

I shoulda bought a lottery ticket right after posting this.

Lutheran/South Putnam in 1st round is almost as bad as North Decautur/Tri in the 1st round.

14 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

Some brutal first round draws...

8-0 North Decatur at 7-1 Tri in sectional 46. 

7-1 South Putnam at 8-0 Lutheran in sectional 47.

Should seed sectionals or at least top half.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

I don't disagree. Last year's Churubusco team deserved to play in a sectional final. They were the 2nd best team in the north.

See we can play the 3 best teams in our Sectional if the games go as expected. Not sure if that's good or bad at this point. 

2 hours ago, Basementbias said:

See we can play the 3 best teams in our Sectional if the games go as expected. Not sure if that's good or bad at this point. 

As long as you come go in and out injury-free, I'd consider it a good thing.  More effective to sharpen a knife on a stone than on a pillow.