Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

Can someone tell me if this week's Seymour vs Jeffersonville game is going to count in the conference standings? The other six teams are only playing six conference opponents and are using week 2 for non-conference games. Seymour and Jeffersonville are each playing seven conference opponents. There can't possibly be an imbalanced schedule can there?

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 1

I wanted to share a positive story about how a BNL senior has responded to a set back.

The article below is about one of our seniors this year who had his season end prematurely with a knee injury.  It was written by Jeff Bartlett and was in today’s edition of the Times Mail in Bedford.  

BEDFORD — Two weeks ago to the day, Reagan Bowman was enjoying one of his brightest days as a football player.

The Bedford North Lawrence senior had just been voted a team captain for his final season, and it was an honor he cherished. Then, just an hour or so later, it turned into one of the darkest days a player can endure.

Bowman had waited patiently for three seasons behind Class 5A All-State center Roman Weber, biding his time until his day came to become the starting snapper in the triple-option offense.

That day arrived. Bowman was poised to start the next night’s scrimmage against Mitchell, fulfilling a boyhood dream.

Then away it went. In a flash of tearing flesh, a season was finished.

On that same Thursday when he’d been named captain Bowman suffered a high-school-career-ending injury in practice. It occurred on a routine play when a defensive lineman fell into the side of his leg and a loud pop was heard. It was a severed MCL that pulled away from the tibia and fibula below his right knee.

He will not play a single down of his senior season. He missed the Mitchell scrimmage, and last Friday when the Stars journeyed to Martinsville, Bowman was under the knife on an operating table.

When BNL travels to face Bloomington North Friday night in Game 2 of the 2019 season, Bowman will be on the sideline, if he’s even allowed to travel with the team.

Dark days? For most people, yes. For this young man, not a chance. That’s because Bowman is a beacon of light wherever he goes and in whatever he does.

He is simply a fine young man. Many will remember that this summer he helped save the life of a Bedford man who had suffered a heart attack. Bowman was present when it occurred, and he instinctively and rapidly went for help, and emergency personnel were able to save the man’s life.

Reagan is also devoutly religious — his father, Greg, is a former pastor — and he is trusting that God has a plan with this injury. Then, there’s also the factor that he is still a team captain, and he is not going to allow himself to be down because he does not want his team to be down.

“I got angry at the very first and I couldn’t understand why me and why now?” Bowman conceded. “But He knows a lot more than I do and I know He has a reason for this to happen, so I never really got down about it.

“Things happen for a reason, and if I’m down about it it isn’t going to change anything and it isn’t going to help anything. I want to stay positive for my team. I got voted team captain, so everybody sees something in me, and me being down is not what they want to see.”

It’s a remarkably mature attitude for an 18-year old, and it is not lost on BNL Head Coach Steve Weber.

“Reagan is an outstanding young man, and there’s a reason he was voted in as a captain,” Weber said. “I just hate it for him because he had worked extremely hard for his senior year and had waited on his chance. He was doing a great job at center, and then this happens, and it’s a pretty serious injury.

“But he has never complained or been negative about anything. Until his surgery he was still coming to practice every day and was very encouraging and supportive of his teammates. I think that tells you a great deal about his character.”

Bowman started rehabbing his knee Tuesday, but doctors told him he’s looking at three to four months of recovery. Yet, he’s determined to do all he can to help the Stars.

“Not being able to play makes you realize just how much football means to you,” said Bowman, whose hopes to play college ball and then one day become a high school guidance counselor. “But I’m still on the team. I did everything that everybody else did in the offseason, so I’m going to be down there with them.

“I may not be able to play, but I can still do some things to help. I’ve got to be the best cheerleader I can be and try to help keep my teammates up and keep them positive when things get tough.

“It’s not ideal, but it’s the situation I’ve been handed, and I’m going to make the best of it that I can.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Can someone tell me if this week's Seymour vs Jeffersonville game is going to count in the conference standings? The other six teams are only playing six conference opponents and are using week 2 for non-conference games. Seymour and Jeffersonville are each playing seven conference opponents. There can't possibly be an imbalanced schedule can there?

This game will not count in the conference standings.

• Like 1

Week 2 Predictions

Feeling pretty good after going 8-0 last week but this week's games are going to be tougher to predict.

Bedford North Lawrence (0-1) at Bloomington North (1-0): I mistakenly picked the Cougars to win last year based on the week 1 results. As it turns out, those same results happened again in week 1 this year with Martinsville beating BNL and Bloomington North beating Greenwood. The Stars are so young and that was evidenced by last week's beatdown. And while Bloomington North hasn't had a good season in years, I have to think they're going to get it done this time around. I'm picking the Cougars.

Brown County (1-0) at Jennings County (0-1): See last year's prediction. Once again, Brown County is coming into the game with a blowout win over a bad team (Edinburgh last year, Pike Central this year) and Jennings County is coming in with a loss to Batesville. And, like last year, I'm taking the Panthers over the Eagles. It's a good thing Brown County isn't in the HHC. Almost every team would have the JV in the game for the second half against them.

Columbus North (0-1) at Columbus East (1-0): One of the state's best football rivalries takes place for the 49th time. The Olympians are trying to avoid their first four game losing streak to the Bull Dogs since they lost five straight to them from 1972-1976 (East opened in 1972). North was demolished by a terrific Avon team last week but I'm sure youth and inexperience had a lot to do with that. It'll be interesting to see how healthy East RB Mark McDonald is after his third quarter injury last week at Whiteland. If he's good to go, East wins easily. If not, it could be another dandy. Regardless, I'll take East to snap the skid and bring home the Pigskin Scramble trophy.

Floyd Central (0-1) at Providence (1-0): With the exception of 1995-1997, this match-up has taken place every year since 1969. The Highlanders have won six straight in the series and 10 out of the last 11. The Pioneers are a decent 2A team but they have their hands full with a decent 5A team like Floyd Central. The Highlanders are also more experienced than last year and should be feeling more comfortable with James Bragg at the helm for year 2. Floyd Central wins.

New Albany (1-0) at Castle (0-1): The Bulldogs started the year off with a win last week, although it was against a traditionally weak Evansville Harrison team. Castle had the bigger test in their loss against Bloomington South. Both teams lost a lot of experience off of last year's teams but the Knights are more known for having a successful football program. While New Albany has athletes, Castle can beat you with execution. Castle gets the win.

Seymour (1-0) at Jeffersonville (0-1): It's the conference game that is being played as a non-conference game. It's really hard to say if Seymour's win against South Dearborn was legit and if Jeffersonville's loss to Fern Creek (KY) was reasonable. The evidence isn't there yet to say one way or another. However, the Red Devils are on their third coach in three years and the current guy at the helm had never been a head honcho prior to this season. The Owls have a head coach who is in his third year and, while the team hasn't looked impressive during his short tenure, something has to be said for stability. His kids are familiar with him and know what is expected. Seymour gets the W.

6 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Week 2 Predictions

Feeling pretty good after going 8-0 last week but this week's games are going to be tougher to predict.

Bedford North Lawrence (0-1) at Bloomington North (1-0): I mistakenly picked the Cougars to win last year based on the week 1 results. As it turns out, those same results happened again in week 1 this year with Martinsville beating BNL and Bloomington North beating Greenwood. The Stars are so young and that was evidenced by last week's beatdown. And while Bloomington North hasn't had a good season in years, I have to think they're going to get it done this time around. I'm picking the Cougars.

Brown County (1-0) at Jennings County (0-1): See last year's prediction. Once again, Brown County is coming into the game with a blowout win over a bad team (Edinburgh last year, Pike Central this year) and Jennings County is coming in with a loss to Batesville. And, like last year, I'm taking the Panthers over the Eagles. It's a good thing Brown County isn't in the HHC. Almost every team would have the JV in the game for the second half against them.

Columbus North (0-1) at Columbus East (1-0): One of the state's best football rivalries takes place for the 49th time. The Olympians are trying to avoid their first four game losing streak to the Bull Dogs since they lost five straight to them from 1972-1976 (East opened in 1972). North was demolished by a terrific Avon team last week but I'm sure youth and inexperience had a lot to do with that. It'll be interesting to see how healthy East RB Mark McDonald is after his third quarter injury last week at Whiteland. If he's good to go, East wins easily. If not, it could be another dandy. Regardless, I'll take East to snap the skid and bring home the Pigskin Scramble trophy.

Floyd Central (0-1) at Providence (1-0): With the exception of 1995-1997, this match-up has taken place every year since 1969. The Highlanders have won six straight in the series and 10 out of the last 11. The Pioneers are a decent 2A team but they have their hands full with a decent 5A team like Floyd Central. The Highlanders are also more experienced than last year and should be feeling more comfortable with James Bragg at the helm for year 2. Floyd Central wins.

Madison (0-1) at South Dearborn (0-1): The Knights lost a battle with Seymour last week. The Cubs fell to a 2A Paoli team. Someone is getting their first win of the season. Unfortunately, I doubt it's Madison because...well...it's Madison. South Dearborn wins.

New Albany (1-0) at Castle (0-1): The Bulldogs started the year off with a win last week, although it was against a traditionally weak Evansville Harrison team. Castle had the bigger test in their loss against Bloomington South. Both teams lost a lot of experience off of last year's teams but the Knights are more known for having a successful football program. While New Albany has athletes, Castle can beat you with execution. Castle gets the win.

Seymour (1-0) at Jeffersonville (0-1): It's the conference game that is being played as a non-conference game. It's really hard to say if Seymour's win against South Dearborn was legit and if Jeffersonville's loss to Fern Creek (KY) was reasonable. The evidence isn't there yet to say one way or another. However, the Red Devils are on their third coach in three years and the current guy at the helm had never been a head honcho prior to this season. The Owls have a head coach who is in his third year and, while the team hasn't looked impressive during his short tenure, something has to be said for stability. His kids are familiar with him and know what is expected. Seymour gets the W.

23 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Week 2 Predictions

Jeff 2030

NA 1830

FC 1815

Seymour 1520

BNL 1471

JC 1200

Madison 850

Brown Co 620 

Why would Brown Co be in the HHC? 

2 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Jeff 2030

NA 1830

FC 1815

Seymour 1520

BNL 1471

JC 1200

Madison 850

Brown Co 620 

Why would Brown Co be in the HHC? 

They wouldn't. People on here make it seem as if Jennings County and Madison are the worst teams in the state just because of how non-competitive they are traditionally in a weak HHC. They lead the charge to evict them. However, my point is that there are worse teams than them. As bad as Jennings County is, Brown County is much worse.

1 minute ago, boilerfan87 said:

Bedford North Lawrence (0-1) at Bloomington North (1-0)

Brown County (1-0) at Jennings County (0-1)

Columbus North (0-1) at Columbus East (1-0)

Floyd Central (0-1) at Providence (1-0)

New Albany (1-0) at Castle (0-1)

Seymour (1-0) at Jeffersonville (0-1)

Don't forget Madison at South Dearborn. I forgot it in my original post and had to post my picks again.

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Don't forget Madison at South Dearborn. I forgot it in my original post and had to post my picks again.

And I just copy and paste yours and then edit out your commentary... looks like we're the only ones participating in this so the battle is on! I guess we agree on everything again this week though so we'll still be tied...

Madison at South Dearborn 

(for some reason, I can't figure out how to edit posts)

• Like 1

Bedford North Lawrence (0-1) at Bloomington North (1-0)

Brown County (1-0) at Jennings County (0-1)

Columbus North (0-1) at Columbus East (1-0)

Floyd Central (0-1) at Providence (1-0)

New Albany (1-0) at Castle (0-1)

Seymour (1-0) at Jeffersonville (0-1)

Madison at South Dearborn 

I'll take New Albany just to mix it up lol

Bedford North Lawrence (0-1) at Bloomington North (1-0)

Brown County (1-0) at Jennings County (0-1)

Columbus North (0-1) at Columbus East (1-0)

Floyd Central (0-1) at Providence (1-0)

New Albany (1-0) at Castle (0-1)

Seymour (1-0) at Jeffersonville (0-1)