Jump to content

Water Cooler Topic: Are College Athletes Above Being Booed?


temptation
 Share

Recommended Posts

In the era of NIL and college sports mirroring the professional game more so each day, in your opinion are college athletes (particularly revenue sport athletes) above being booed for underperformance?

This is currently a hot discussion topic in the hometown of my favorite college program.

Quarterback A returned after leading his team to a conference title, win over its main rival and playoff performance the year prior.  Was told that the position was still up for grabs as Quarterback B has as higher ceiling (also comes with a higher risk in my opinion) and had a great offseason.  Quarterback A would be known in the modern era as a "game manager."

Quarterback B was a 5 star out of high school, possesses a skill set running the football that Quarterback A does not and can make a few more throws than Quarterback A.  Quarterback B would be known in the modern era as a "dual threat."

 

Quarterback A starts game 1, is not very impressive.  Quarterback B comes in and looks the part...fans boo.

Quarterback B starts game 2, lights the scoreboard up and checks every box.  Quarterback A comes in after the game is in hand and is once again not very impressive...fans boo.

 

I've seen arguments on both sides here.  

Argument A:  What I outlined above.  In the era of NIL and college football mirroring the pros, no one is above being booed for a poor performance.

Argument B:  These are still kids.  They chose to play for your university.  They deserve better.

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha...pretty clear who you're talking about even if I didn't know who your favorite college team is. I used to be of the opinion that if a player was on any form of scholarship then the coaches determined that player's set of skills were worthy of something I never received. i.e., free books, tuition, room and board. Therefore, I was OK with booing even though I personally have never done it. At this point I've probably regressed and think that line of thinking is a little over the top as they're still not professional athletes.

But, if the player has accepted any sort of NIL money, I'm actually open to the booing. Maybe I'll grow out of this line of thinking as the NIL world becomes more and more normal to me, but I feel like any athlete accepting NIL money is no longer an amateur and open to criticism. Especially if that player choose a school based on the NIL deal's on the table. Again, even if I fealt the booing was warranted, I still couldn't bring myself to boo players at a College sporting event. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think its right, but we live in a society today that rips these same kids on social media....people that have not come close to playing a sport at their level rip them to shreds on social media.  Not sure that will cease inside a stadium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s keep in mind that fan is short for fanatics. I think it’s silly to boo college kids…even pros for that matter. Refs? Now that is a different story entirely 🤣🤣🤣 I kid, I kid. 
A couple things stood out from yesterday. Oregon fans, likely the student section, chanting “f**k BYU”. Another one was easy to hear on TV during the Mississippi State LSU game, when a player from MSU was injured, fans were yelling “he’s a pu**y”. 
Crap like this happens all the time unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Let’s keep in mind that fan is short for fanatics. I think it’s silly to boo college kids…even pros for that matter. Refs? Now that is a different story entirely 🤣🤣🤣 I kid, I kid. 
A couple things stood out from yesterday. Oregon fans, likely the student section, chanting “f**k BYU”. Another one was easy to hear on TV during the Mississippi State LSU game, when a player from MSU was injured, fans were yelling “he’s a pu**y”. 
Crap like this happens all the time unfortunately. 

&$@? BYU is rich considering the volleyball story that was just proven to be false. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2022 at 12:46 PM, temptation said:

&$@? BYU is rich considering the volleyball story that was just proven to be false. 

Looks like Oregon is doing some damage control with a recruit over #$@! the Mormans!!......

https://www.si.com/college/2022/09/20/quarterback-recruit-left-oregon-byu-game-after-offensive-chant

A vulgar chant marred an otherwise momentous victory for Oregon during Saturday’s game against BYU. Amid the Ducks’ 41–20 win over the Cougars at Autzen Stadium, yells of “f--- the Mormons” rained down onto the field from the school’s student section.

Now, the actions of the individuals responsible for the chants may have had a negative impact on recruiting a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

High school quarterback T.C. Manumaleuna II, a Salem native, told the Statesman Journal he and his family left the game at halftime because of the chants. Manumaleuna, who is Mormon, explained he didn’t fault the school for the students that were involved in the chants but did feel like the repeated incidents had “some kind of impact” on his experience.

“I would never cross the Ducks off my list. I play football today because I was raised going to Duck games, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have some kind of impact on me,” Manumaleuna said. “[Oregon defensive coordinator and linebackers coach] Tosh [Lupoi] reached out to my dad yesterday after the game, and I was able to talk with [Oregon director of recruiting and LDS member] JR Moala for a little bit, too. Those guys are like family, especially JR.

“Oregon has a great coaching staff and I appreciate them reaching out to check on us. That meant a lot.”

Manumaleuna received a scholarship offer from Oregon before he was in high school, according to the Journal. He is also considering BYU, Florida State, Miami, Washington State and Cal, among other schools, per ESPN’s Chris Low.

Oregon released a statement and an apology Sunday after a video surfaced online of the chants. The school did not mention whether there would be any type of punishment for those involved.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Looks like Oregon is doing some damage control with a recruit over #$@! the Mormans!!......

https://www.si.com/college/2022/09/20/quarterback-recruit-left-oregon-byu-game-after-offensive-chant

A vulgar chant marred an otherwise momentous victory for Oregon during Saturday’s game against BYU. Amid the Ducks’ 41–20 win over the Cougars at Autzen Stadium, yells of “f--- the Mormons” rained down onto the field from the school’s student section.

Now, the actions of the individuals responsible for the chants may have had a negative impact on recruiting a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

High school quarterback T.C. Manumaleuna II, a Salem native, told the Statesman Journal he and his family left the game at halftime because of the chants. Manumaleuna, who is Mormon, explained he didn’t fault the school for the students that were involved in the chants but did feel like the repeated incidents had “some kind of impact” on his experience.

“I would never cross the Ducks off my list. I play football today because I was raised going to Duck games, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have some kind of impact on me,” Manumaleuna said. “[Oregon defensive coordinator and linebackers coach] Tosh [Lupoi] reached out to my dad yesterday after the game, and I was able to talk with [Oregon director of recruiting and LDS member] JR Moala for a little bit, too. Those guys are like family, especially JR.

“Oregon has a great coaching staff and I appreciate them reaching out to check on us. That meant a lot.”

Manumaleuna received a scholarship offer from Oregon before he was in high school, according to the Journal. He is also considering BYU, Florida State, Miami, Washington State and Cal, among other schools, per ESPN’s Chris Low.

Oregon released a statement and an apology Sunday after a video surfaced online of the chants. The school did not mention whether there would be any type of punishment for those involved.

 

Absolutely love it when they eat their own...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...