Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2023

20 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Let’s stir up some conversation..Preliminary March SIAC Power Rankings 

1. Reitz (They are going to be tough all season long)

2. Vincennes (Can the Alices live up the preseason hype?)

3. Jasper (Already know they will finish Top 4 somehow)

4. Castle (Definitely a wildcard, but they seem to compete)

5. North (Returns a majority of their starters, can the trenches hold up?)

6. Memorial (They got athletes, huge questions on the trenches, we will see what Hurley does)

6. Mater Dei (Defense is going to improve, however, entire offense is pretty much gone, but they do have Coach Goebel)

8. Bosse (Wagner/Tomilson duo is going fun, but let the foundation build up)

9. Harrison (They have their QB in Brown and has players to throw too, in the same boat with Bosse)

10. Central (No coach right and looking at 5 different coaches in 7 seasons, lots of uncertainty about Central)

Fair assessment. Tough to say. It's interesting...I think first and last are obvious by a wide margin, but there's a big group in the middle that is tough to predict. I could see Vincennes or North separating from the middle group but not confident still. North had an average season even with lots of size and talent. They return a lot of that so I think they will have high expectations. Vincennes returns a lot as well but one reason they had success was the mystery and rise of Hunt. The great coaches of the SIAC have another year to prepare for Hunt which is why I think there's a chance they don't do much better this year. Personally, it just seems easier to do tiers for now.

Tier 1 Reitz (clear best going into it, only thing that would work against them is injuries or beating themselves, would be shocked if they don't win sectional)

(big gap)

Tier 2 North, Castle, Vincennes, Memorial, Mater Dei, Jasper (all these teams have key returners but also a lot of question marks, so hard to say right now)

Tier 3 Harrison, Bosse (could see them beating some of those tier 2 teams but could also see him only winning one or two games, hard to say)

(big gap)

Tier 4 Central (will most likely go winless again and not have any close games, unfortunate for those kids and their community)

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Fair assessment. Tough to say. It's interesting...I think first and last are obvious by a wide margin, but there's a big group in the middle that is tough to predict. I could see Vincennes or North separating from the middle group but not confident still. North had an average season even with lots of size and talent. They return a lot of that so I think they will have high expectations. Vincennes returns a lot as well but one reason they had success was the mystery and rise of Hunt. The great coaches of the SIAC have another year to prepare for Hunt which is why I think there's a chance they don't do much better this year. Personally, it just seems easier to do tiers for now.

Tier 1 Reitz (clear best going into it, only thing that would work against them is injuries or beating themselves, would be shocked if they don't win sectional)

(big gap)

Tier 2 North, Castle, Vincennes, Memorial, Mater Dei, Jasper (all these teams have key returners but also a lot of question marks, so hard to say right now)

Tier 3 Harrison, Bosse (could see them beating some of those tier 2 teams but could also see him only winning one or two games, hard to say)

(big gap)

Tier 4 Central (will most likely go winless again and not have any close games, unfortunate for those kids and their community)

Pretty much the same tier on what I have, Tier 2 is going to be such a tossup, since a lot of factors are involved. Like Mater Dei pretty redoing their entire defense or Castle replacing some of their strong defensive players like Purdy. In my opinion, this season is going to feel like a the B10 basketball conference games. Who knows what will happen between 2 and 7

40 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Pretty much the same tier on what I have, Tier 2 is going to be such a tossup, since a lot of factors are involved. Like Mater Dei pretty redoing their entire defense or Castle replacing some of their strong defensive players like Purdy. In my opinion, this season is going to feel like a the B10 basketball conference games. Who knows what will happen between 2 and 7

Exactly. Very difficult to rank that 2-7 right now so prefer to group them into a tier because it seems like they could truly finish in any order. For example, I could see Vincennes/North finishing at 2 or at 7. 

• Like 1

-Reitz should be tops in SIAC but not ready to say Big Gap. Committed a lot of bad penalties last year and they were no-shows in the tournament. Certainly the favorites on paper. 
-VL should be in the top 4 with all the returning talent. Great athlete at QB. Need to finish games this year. 
-Memorial. I trust Hurley will be just fine with Fisher/Bryant, a top notch RB and athletes on the outside.  Possibly one of the more athletic teams Memorials had in recent years. Worth noting..there’s also a Combs entering 10th grade. 
-MD and their staff always find a way to be physical and tough regardless of the names. 
-North is always scary but unless they replaced their OC they will be middle of pack. Always have dudes but just seem to fall short of expectations.  
-Jasper is just different than any team in the siac. Never underestimate the Cats. Tough to beat Jasper in any sport. 
-Castle played much better than I expected last season. Expect them to be very competitive most nights. Never short on QB talent or WR talent. 

Bosse, Harrison, and Central. 
just stay healthy in these games.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Screagle said:

-Reitz should be tops in SIAC but not ready to say Big Gap. Committed a lot of bad penalties last year and they were no-shows in the tournament. Certainly the favorites on paper. 

Just out of curiosity - if there was a big gap last season (statistically the biggest in the 88 year history of the SIAC), and they return their loaded junior class plus a healthy QB, and Memorial/MD may not be quite as good as last year - what makes you think it won't be a big gap? Is it because you think Reitz will somehow be worse, or because some other team(s) will be much better?

17 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

I meant entire offense btw, dang you 5 minute edit timer

Yeah, I think MD will still be solid on defense. Although they do lose guys like Adler and Martin, they return a handful of good defensive players. Their LB/DB group of Halbig, Turner, Stratman, Scheu is very good. The offense will be a huge question mark. Replacing a multi-year talent like Wunderlich is never easy. Even further, many people think they may be replacing him with an underclassmen with no varsity experience. I would bet they change their offense a bit. Typically they pass the ball quite a bit but I would guess they go more run heavy. I have heard about that young QB being a good athlete but not much of a pocket passer. I think they will struggle a bit in conference games (maybe go 5-4 or 6-3) but could still see them making a playoff run in 2A.

Just looked through some updated rosters after mentioning the Reitz junior class. They will have 30 or more seniors this coming season. That just seems wild to me, especially in 4A. For comparison, East Central's class that's had a lot of hype for a while is projected to have 25 seniors. 6As Center Grove and Cathedral both project to have 28 seniors, Warren Central with 24. The only schools with more projected seniors are the biggest 6As like Carmel and Ben Davis.

Makes me wonder, what's the biggest senior classes you all can remember around here? Is this uncharted territory or do massive senior classes happen frequently in the SIAC and I just haven't noticed it?

19 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Just looked through some updated rosters after mentioning the Reitz junior class. They will have 30 or more seniors this coming season. That just seems wild to me, especially in 4A. For comparison, East Central's class that's had a lot of hype for a while is projected to have 25 seniors. 6As Center Grove and Cathedral both project to have 28 seniors, Warren Central with 24. The only schools with more projected seniors are the biggest 6As like Carmel and Ben Davis.

Makes me wonder, what's the biggest senior classes you all can remember around here? Is this uncharted territory or do massive senior classes happen frequently in the SIAC and I just haven't noticed it?

Memorial’s 2020 class either had 27 or 28

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

GS 2015-2016 had right at 30.  This season's sophomores are very similar...low 30's.

4 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Just out of curiosity - if there was a big gap last season (statistically the biggest in the 88 year history of the SIAC), and they return their loaded junior class plus a healthy QB, and Memorial/MD may not be quite as good as last year - what makes you think it won't be a big gap? Is it because you think Reitz will somehow be worse, or because some other team(s) will be much better?

For them to statistically be the best team in 88 years, they sure struggle to get wins versus Memorial, MD and Vincennes. Not to mention that sectional performance.  They were far from dominate every Friday night.  

24 minutes ago, Screagle said:

For them to statistically be the best team in 88 years, they sure struggle to get wins versus Memorial, MD and Vincennes. Not to mention that sectional performance.  They were far from dominate every Friday night.  

I'm with Screagle here...they had a great season given the depth of the conference last year.  I have learned over the last dozen years or so that sometimes it's more about the depth of the field year over year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

I haven’t conversed with you enough to know if you are trolling or not, or if you just don’t like Reitz. But nobody said best in 88 years or that they were dominate every Friday night. And I don’t like to devalue a high school team’s undefeated regular season. (It’s not easy to go undefeated in the regular season and not every win is pretty). I was just stating a fact about how big the gap was in the standings and how long it’s been that nobody had accomplished it. No matter your opinion on how dominate or not they were every game, winning the conference by that much is statistically a big gap. Sure, it has a lot to do with depth of field. But, point is, the gap was there. 

All I was wondering was - do you think Reitz won’t be as good this year or do you think there will be other teams that are much better and close the gap?

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

Although, I definitely agree they were far from perfect. I still remember hearing how many penalties and - penalty yardage they had against Vincennes and being shocked they still won. Definitely had flaws that almost cost them some games and ultimately caught up to them. I guess I’m just assuming they will clean that up, but never a given with high school kids. 

I think the gap in the standings last year was a bit misleading. I didn't think Reitz was head and shoulders above Memorial or MD. Reitz will be tough to beat in the SIAC this year though. They should be better and the other top tier programs may fall back a bit. Nevertheless, if I were a gambling man, I would still bet on East Central in the Regional.

And Screagle is no troll. LOL 

Edited by tango

38 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

All I was wondering was - do you think Reitz won’t be as good this year or do you think there will be other teams that are much better and close the gap?

Not a troll question - but was Davies healthy vs Boonville?  Vera at QB is how they beat Castle and Memorial.  That is a weapon that I'm sure will be utilized as well.  

48 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

I haven’t conversed with you enough to know if you are trolling or not, or if you just don’t like Reitz. But nobody said best in 88 years or that they were dominate every Friday night. And I don’t like to devalue a high school team’s undefeated regular season. (It’s not easy to go undefeated in the regular season and not every win is pretty). I was just stating a fact about how big the gap was in the standings and how long it’s been that nobody had accomplished it. No matter your opinion on how dominate or not they were every game, winning the conference by that much is statistically a big gap. Sure, it has a lot to do with depth of field. But, point is, the gap was there. 

No troll. Just not convinced last year or this years Panthers have a big gap on the competition. SWI has had some dominating teams in recent years.  I would not put last years Reitz team in that group. They could  prove me wrong in 23’.  They certainly have a lot of talented dudes  Memorial and Vincennes should have great QB play and lots of good athletes around them. North has dudes if they can ever figure out consistent offense.  Jasper and Castle are always tough to play, especially on the road. MD will find the pieces by rivalry week and possibly have a say in SIAC title. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Not a troll question - but was Davies healthy vs Boonville?  Vera at QB is how they beat Castle and Memorial.  That is a weapon that I'm sure will be utilized as well.  

As far as I know their QB was not healthy the whole 2nd half of the season and he had about half his normal arm strength. He was really good those first 4 games. Believe his shoulder will be repaired and they have high expectations for him this year. But yes, even with a healthy Davies back, I wouldn't be shocked to see them still have some sort of wildcat package for Vera. Definite impact wherever they play him.

Edited by Football Fanatic

17 hours ago, tango said:

I think the gap in the standings last year was a bit misleading. I didn't think Reitz was head and shoulders above Memorial or MD. Reitz will be tough to beat in the SIAC this year though. They should be better and the other top tier programs may fall back a bit. Nevertheless, if I were a gambling man, I would still bet on East Central in the Regional.

And Screagle is no troll. LOL 

Maybe so. However, with a healthy QB I think they win those games by much more. With a healthy Davies they beat Jasper 41-14 and North 38-15. Vera is definitely a weapon but teams quickly noticed how limited their offense was with him at QB. He was either running it, handing it off, or throwing "go up and get it" balls to their stud WRs. So, I guess I will agree the gap was not very big once Davies got hurt. Fortunately for them, their defense was outstanding, well up until the Boonville game. I mean, 5A semi-state Castle scored 10 and the 2A champs Mater Dei scored 7 on them. 

I agree. I think the gap may widen a bit this year unless some other teams surprise us. Hard to assume that Memorial and Mater Dei will be worse though. They always seem to find a way to be competitive.

17 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Reitz vs East Central in the Regional Championship maybe? Oh boy that would be a fun to watch

I think if Reitz stays healthy, cleans up their penalties, and takes care of business how they should...that's what it is shaping up to be. Would be a heck of a game. I think East Central has to be the favorite in the 4A south considering they won state and return most of their guys. But if that game is at a packed Reitz Bowl and they are firing on all cylinders, never know.

10 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

I think if Reitz stays healthy, cleans up their penalties, and takes care of business how they should...that's what it is shaping up to be. Would be a heck of a game. I think East Central has to be the favorite in the 4A south considering they won state and return most of their guys. But if that game is at a packed Reitz Bowl and they are firing on all cylinders, never know.

Maybe all those Reitz posters/fans from back in the day will come back here to do some chest-thumping!

14 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Maybe all those Reitz posters/fans from back in the day will come back here to do some chest-thumping!

Would definitely be nice to have some more posters on here, whatever it takes to bring them out lol. It's been tough times over on the hill for a while but definitely back on the rise, so maybe more posters will come around after all!

30 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Oh, don't worry, there is no bigger wagon than a Reitz football bandwagon. 

• Haha 3