Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2023

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Any word on the Central job? Or a timeline of when they might name a new coach? 

Last time around, Zirkelbach was announced on April 5, but I think Coultis left a little earlier. 

Should probably be announced soon, since the unofficial summer practices start up at the end of May

On 4/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, oldtimeqb said:

Any word on the Central job? Or a timeline of when they might name a new coach? 

Last time around, Zirkelbach was announced on April 5, but I think Coultis left a little earlier. 

Heard a few names. One that I think is the top candidate. Will surprise some but I know many Central people will be happy with it. Should be announced soon.

This upcoming senior class in the SIAC has some great talent overall, including some that could go D1. It seems like the Evansville area is severely overlooked when it comes to the D1 level, so this could be a huge year for the area to get more on the map. Figured it would be a good idea to keep track of all the D1 offers as they come. Just based on the internet and word of mouth, this is what I compiled so far. Feel free to add any that are missing or update the list as they come!

OL/DL Jayden Hazelwood (North) - 6'3" 315 lbs 

Eastern Kentucky University

Miami (OH) University

OL/DL Harlen Summers (Reitz) - 6'4" 270 lbs

Butler University

University of Pennsylvania

Columbia University

Lindenwood University

OL Quentin Boeke (Reitz) - 6'5" 265 lbs

Columbia University

Lindenwood University

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

This upcoming senior class in the SIAC has some great talent overall, including some that could go D1. It seems like the Evansville area is severely overlooked when it comes to the D1 level, so this could be a huge year for the area to get more on the map. Figured it would be a good idea to keep track of all the D1 offers as they come. Just based on the internet and word of mouth, this is what I compiled so far. Feel free to add any that are missing or update the list as they come!

OL/DL Jayden Hazelwood (North) - 6'3" 315 lbs 

Eastern Kentucky University

Miami (OH) University

OL/DL Harlen Summers (Reitz) - 6'4" 270 lbs

Butler University

University of Pennsylvania

Columbia University

Lindenwood University

OL Quentin Boeke (Reitz) - 6'5" 265 lbs

Columbia University

Lindenwood University

Would like to mention that Harlen Summers is now a 247 3 star OL and Quentin Boeke is now a 247 2 star OL, great accomplishment for those players and their hard work! 
https://247sports.com/Player/Quentin-Boeke-46140033/

https://247sports.com/Player/Harlen-Summers-46140034/

North’s Jayden Hazelwood is also a 2 star Ol

https://247sports.com/Player/Jayden-Hazelwood-46140634/

Edited by TigerFan20
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Would like to mention that Harlen Summers is now a 247 3 star OL and Quentin Boeke is now a 247 2 star OL, great accomplishment for those players and their hard work! 
https://247sports.com/Player/Quentin-Boeke-46140033/

https://247sports.com/Player/Harlen-Summers-46140034/

Thanks for mentioning that. I do remember seeing that and meant to add it. I would bet they put on more strength and weight this year which will probably get them more offers.

26 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Thanks for mentioning that. I do remember seeing that and meant to add it. I would bet they put on more strength and weight this year which will probably get them more offers.

I’m expecting Wr Summer getting some offers too during the offseason/season. Can’t think of any other potential D1 offers for other players, but way to earlier to tell. Seems like the Summer Brothers, Boeke and Hazelwood are the current D1 guys for now.

4 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

I’m expecting Wr Summer getting some offers too during the offseason/season. Can’t think of any other potential D1 offers for other players, but way to earlier to tell. Seems like the Summer Brothers, Boeke and Hazelwood are the current D1 guys for now.

I agree, I think the other Summers will get a few D1 looks as well. He was pretty incredible last season until their QB got hurt. Great size and talent. I also think Antonio Harris from Castle may get a few D1 looks. He has decent size and speed, if they can get him enough touches and figure out how to utilize his skill set, he should have a huge season. Outside of those mentioned in that class, I think there may be a few more eventually. But even if the SIAC can produce at least 4-5 D1 guys in one year, I think that’s great and it may get colleges to pay more attention to the area. 

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Yeah, that's who I heard was their guy. Interesting move to say the least, but also makes sense.

Why would you say interesting?

Not sure a candidate from out of the area like Coultis or Burgess would be interested after the recent decline.

First step for a new coach at Central is to keep your players from being poached by other schools.  I would think he could help in that area. 

5 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Why would you say interesting?

Not sure a candidate from out of the area like Coultis or Burgess would be interested after the recent decline.

First step for a new coach at Central is to keep your players from being poached by other schools.  I would think he could help in that area. 

Interesting for reasons better not said. But I think you're right. I doubt they got many, if any, out-of-town candidates. And if I had to guess, not many experienced in-city guys applied either.

Sad thing is, I don't think their players were being "poached". They were willingly leaving for better situations. But yes, I think this hire will help them retain their players and start to build something.

• Like 1

If Central can ever get back to being the SIAC "flavor of the week" players will move over there again.  Just hard to get back to that after you have lost it.  These kids don't care about the "tradition" we old farts speak of.....it's what can you do for me TODAY!  Not disparaging...just stating a fact, it is what it is.

17 hours ago, Titan32 said:

If Central can ever get back to being the SIAC "flavor of the week" players will move over there again.  Just hard to get back to that after you have lost it.  These kids don't care about the "tradition" we old farts speak of.....it's what can you do for me TODAY!  Not disparaging...just stating a fact, it is what it is.

This is what makes Reitz, MD, and Memorial unique. A lot of the same names go through those doors. People I went to school with over 30 years ago have kids in school there now. There isn’t that “flavor of the week” vibe

• Like 2

Central will be naming the new football coach tonight. Central guy with not much coaching experience and no head coaching experience. Hope the best for the program but they have a long way ahead of them to get back to their success they once had. He must rebuild the youth system because all of their high school success came from the success of the feeder program. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SouthernFan said:

Central will be naming the new football coach tonight. Central guy with not much coaching experience and no head coaching experience. Hope the best for the program but they have a long way ahead of them to get back to their success they once had. He must rebuild the youth system because all of their high school success came from the success of the feeder program. 

Hopefully the Bears can find some consistency soon, or they could be looking down a long rebuild

4 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

Agree with this re: the HS teams depend on the youth system.  Here's to all the youth coaches who worry about teaching first and having fun first.  And not the youth coaches whose first priority is Jimmy Jr. playing QB and Johnny Jr. being RB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

I doubt there were many experienced candidates interested. Having 4 coaches in a span of 6 years with a precipitous W/L drop-off the last 2 seasons doesn't paint a picture of a healthy program. 

Bob Zoss had things going in the right direction for a long time.  Kudos to him for laying the groundwork.  It's sad someone could not have taken the baton and kept it all going....the relocation of North didn't help but they had a good thing going.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:23 AM, Football Fanatic said:

Interesting for reasons better not said. But I think you're right. I doubt they got many, if any, out-of-town candidates. And if I had to guess, not many experienced in-city guys applied either.

Sad thing is, I don't think their players were being "poached". They were willingly leaving for better situations. But yes, I think this hire will help them retain their players and start to build something.

There are coaches who reach out directly to players at other area schools.  The texts/DMs I’ve seen were carefully worded to avoid directly asking for a transfer.

And, yes, I’ve seen a couple of these with my own eyes.

33 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Brandon Artis has been hired to be the next HC at Central

I’ve heard that the track/field girls at Memorial really liked him, FWIW.

42 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

There are coaches who reach out directly to players at other area schools.  The texts/DMs I’ve seen were carefully worded to avoid directly asking for a transfer.

And, yes, I’ve seen a couple of these with my own eyes.

I’ve heard that the track/field girls at Memorial really liked him, FWIW.

"Coaches" or a certain coach?

23 minutes ago, tango said:

"Coaches" or a certain coach?

Well, I only saw DMs from a certain coach.  So I can’t testify to any others - only hearsay that it happens.

Whether there’s an explicit solicitation for a transfer or not, it ought to be against the rules for coaches at one member institution to initiate contact with a player from another one.

I have no issue with transfers, in general.  But tampering isn’t appropriate.