Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hazing Alive And Well In The Northwestern University Football Program

Muda69

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 2:35 PM, Gipper said:

The plot thickens, sports fans: NU's baseball coach just got canned for a similar type offense.

Now in addition to football and baseball, now the women's volleyball program is involved with hazing allegations.

Trend of reality?  Trend of something else??

https://www.insidenu.com/2023/7/24/23805973/former-northwestern-volleyball-players-corroborate-lawsuit-details-discuss-punishment-shane-davis

Edited by Bash Riprock

19 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Now in addition to football and baseball, now the women's volleyball program is involved with hazing allegations.

Trend of reality?  Trend of something else??

https://www.insidenu.com/2023/7/24/23805973/former-northwestern-volleyball-players-corroborate-lawsuit-details-discuss-punishment-shane-davis

Ugly all around.  We either have smart dumb kids or dumb smart kids.

So, it now comes out that there is a “culture of hazing” in Northwestern athletics that goes beyond the football program. A 5th lawsuit has been filed by a former football player. Somebody want to explain how Derrick Gragg still has a job?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://apnews.com/article/pat-fitzgerald-northwestern-university-hazing-lawsuit-d3a00fde8cad75d6ef8d25ca5860bb4f

Former Northwestern University football coach Pat Fitzgerald is suing the school for $130 million, saying his alma mater wrongfully fired him in the wake of a hazing and abuse scandal that has engulfed the athletic department.

The announcement by Chicago-based attorneys Dan K. Webb and Matthew R. Carter on Thursday comes nearly three months after Fitzgerald was suspended and then fired after 17 years.

Attorney Webb said that Fitzgerald would also be seeking additional money for “infliction of emotional distress,” future lost income and punitive damages. The $130 million includes $68 million remaining in owed salary plus $62 million in future lost income, Webb added. The suit is being filed in Cook County Circuit Court against the university and its President Michael Schill, he said.

“If there was ever a coach at Northwestern University who should have not been terminated, it’s Coach Fitzgerald,” Webb said.

Good luck.

Hun

Hundreds to Thousands of minority athletes accept a scholarship free and willingly, play a decade of football there under Fitz, but now it’s a racist institution… while players continue to play for the program & lots have backed Fitz.

Count me suspicious of it all.

Trevor Bauer is still awaiting his apology and 2 years of his life back but people continue to presume guilt until innocence is proven...and then the story disappears.

dreds to Thousands of minority athletes accept a scholarship free and willingly, play a decade of football there under Fitz, but now it’s a racist institution… while players continue to play for the program & lots have back

reds to Thousands of minority athletes accept a scholarship free and willingly, play a decade of football there under Fitz, but now it’s a racist institution… while players continue to play for the program & lots have backed Fitz.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, temptation said:

Hun

Hundreds to Thousands of minority athletes accept a scholarship free and willingly, play a decade of football there under Fitz, but now it’s a racist institution… while players continue to play for the program & lots have backed Fitz.

Trevor Bauer is still awaiting his apology and 2 years of his life back but people continue to presume guilt until innocence is proven...and then the story disappears.

dreds to Thousands of minority athletes accept a scholarship free and willingly, play a decade of football there under Fitz, but now it’s a racist institution… while players continue to play for the program & lots have back

reds to Thousands of minority athletes accept a scholarship free and willingly, play a decade of football there under Fitz, but now it’s a racist institution… while players continue to play for the program & lots have backed Fitz.

I couldn't like this enough. Spot on. The story NEVER returns to mention the presumed guilty were innocent all along. Names tarnished forever. New click bait headlines created. And the beat goes on.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, temptation said:

Hun

Agree with your premise although this being a civil matter, guilty beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't apply here. I think there's enough smoke out there to suggest Fitzgerald knew what was going on and at the very minimum could have stopped it in regards to the hazing allegations.

That being said, Northwestern absolutely butchered the termination process and because of it, they will pay dearly. 

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I couldn't like this enough. Spot on. The story NEVER returns to mention the presumed guilty were innocent all along. Names tarnished forever. New click bait headlines created. And the beat goes on.

Yep, and from the looks of it Mel Tucker is the next victim.

I've always thought highly of him and hope he wins the case.  The B1G would be a perfect league if we could somehow get P. J. Fleck out of Minnesota and prevent Michigan State from hiring Urban Meyer.  Insert your own Dick Allen comment...