Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The start of the final season for the original HNAC Conference.... should and could be an interesting season..

Here's week 1 matchups... thought's and predictions.....

CULVER @ NORTH JUDSON

WINAMAC @ KNOX

PIONEER @ LEWIS CASS

LAVILLE @ BREMEN

SOUTH CENTRAL @ TRITON

WEST CENTRAL @ CASTON 

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

This first week is always a mystery.  But here are my guesses for this week:

LaVille at Bremen - Gotta go with the Lancers here.  I doubt if Bremen is as bad as some of their supporters on here are saying.  But LaVille should compete for the HNAC title and they'll get a good tune up for conference play this week.  Lancers 28-14
Cass at Pioneer - I'm sure Pioneer will be improved this year, but I don't see them outscoring Cass this week.  Kings 21-14
North Judson
at Culver - Both of these teams lost some key spots to graduation, but I feel like NJSP probably has more to reload with.  Blue Jays 35-7
South Central at Triton - I'm really curious to see who steps up for the Triton this year, especially in the trenches.  The Trojans have some exciting skill position players returning from last year's solid team.  The line will play a key role in their success this year.  Triton should win this one going away.  Trojans 42-8
West Central at Caston - I'm sure Caston will be improved this year, but I doubt they will be able to keep up with the Trojans.  Trojans 28-0
Winamac at Knox - Knox is my early favorite to win the HNAC in their final season in the conference.  They'll get off to a great start by running over the Warriors.  I think Knox will score early and often.  Redskins 49-13

Culver at NJSP

I am curious to see how NJSP opens the year up. Not much talk out of either camp over the summer. This is what we know. Culver has a new coach and it sounds like they are going to spread the ball out. But it doesn't help them much because it sounds like numbers are a factor. NJSP on the other hand brings back some experience, and the QB position was the main concern from what we have heard. I am going with NJSP 42 Culver 14

Knox at Winamac

Again, not much talk from either camp about who is bringing what to the table. Is Winamac going to be the dark horse and come out and surprise everyone? Should Knox be the front runner knowing how much they lost from last season? I'm going to leave that up to fate and am going with Knox 28 Winamac 21. 

Pioneer at Lewis Cass

Youth is the name of the game for Pioneer and experience is the name for Lewis Cass. Pioneer is well coached and it will take some time to rebuild that winning mentality with this program and get back to their glory days. Lewis Cass on the other hand sounds like they are bringing the heat and putting the TRC on notice that they are coming to have some fun. I don't think it will get too out of hand but Lewis Cass 35 Pioneer 12

LaVille at Bremen

This is TV 46 Game of the Week. I know it is a rivalry, but honestly do not know if it is game of the week worthy. Last year was pretty much a slugfest with LaVille getting the best of Bremen. Maybe I am wrong, but LaVille lost a ton of experience. Bremen doesn't have much experience, but they love to hit quoting from Tony Ross in the Marshall County schools interview from earlier in the week. I want to say that this matchup is going to be closer, but my heart is saying that it will be LaVille 42 Bremen 14 

West Central at Caston

My questions about this matchup is pretty simple. Does West Central continue building off of their sectional win? Caston brings back experience, does this help them take control of their rival? I think the most interesting thing is that the HNAC has the number of MWC opponents and this will continue with Caston winning. Caston 28 WC 12

South Central at Triton

I have seen what Triton can do and the hype around this team has brought a different attitude to the program. These kids love to hit and this team wants competition. The atmosphere around Bourbon has definitely changed with the new head coach installing a winning mentality with this program. The towns people will have things to complain about on their community cares Facebook page about their being too many explosions at the south end of the field tonight. I have heard some buzz coming from South Central, though, that their defense has really improved and that they gave Glenn some trouble. The offense though had a lot of issues with not being able to run the ball and their passing game was alright. However, I think Triton's depth and their ability sub players out is going to be the biggest factor in this. Triton will be able to move the ball with ease and you will everyone be involved in this game. Triton 49 South Central 0

3 hours ago, Trojan67 said:

Knox at Winamac

Again, not much talk from either camp about who is bringing what to the table. Is Winamac going to be the dark horse and come out and surprise everyone? Should Knox be the front runner knowing how much they lost from last season? I'm going to leave that up to fate and am going with Knox 28 Winamac 21. 

Got to see Winamac when we scrimmaged them last week. Still trying to figure it out on offense, but the defense is solid. Very physical with good size up front. They have a skilled position guy or two that can make people miss and enough speed to find the end zone. I think this one will be closer than people think it will be. From what I heard Knox didn't look great in their scrimmage. Not sure if they had some guys banged up or what. I know they lost more than people thought they did to graduation last year, especially some really good lineman.

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Got to see Winamac when we scrimmaged them last week. Still trying to figure it out on offense, but the defense is solid. Very physical with good size up front. They have a skilled position guy or two that can make people miss and enough speed to find the end zone. I think this one will be closer than people think it will be. From what I heard Knox didn't look great in their scrimmage. Not sure if they had some guys banged up or what. I know they lost more than people thought they did to graduation last year, especially some really good lineman.

I agree. I think that this year is going to be collectively a really competitive season all across the conference and there are going to be teams that are going throw out some surprises. This game is one of those games where there may be some surprises. 

Time for Friday Night Lights . . . 

Just a couple of hours before the start of Week One of the IHSAA regular season.  Been looking forward to the start of a couple of weeks now.

I'll throw my two cents into the cup. Picks are:

NORTH JUDSON

KNOX

LEWIS CASS

LAVILLE

TRITON

WEST CENTRAL

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

10 hours ago, Trojan67 said:

Culver at NJSP

I am curious to see how NJSP opens the year up. Not much talk out of either camp over the summer. This is what we know. Culver has a new coach and it sounds like they are going to spread the ball out. But it doesn't help them much because it sounds like numbers are a factor. NJSP on the other hand brings back some experience, and the QB position was the main concern from what we have heard. I am going with NJSP 42 Culver 14

Knox at Winamac

Pioneer at Lewis Cass

Youth is the name of the game for Pioneer and experience is the name for Lewis Cass. Pioneer is well coached and it will take some time to rebuild that winning mentality with this program and get back to their glory days. Lewis Cass on the other hand sounds like they are bringing the heat and putting the TRC on notice that they are coming to have some fun. I don't think it will get too out of hand but Lewis Cass 35 Pioneer 12

LaVille at Bremen

This is TV 46 Game of the Week. I know it is a rivalry, but honestly do not know if it is game of the week worthy. Last year was pretty much a slugfest with LaVille getting the best of Bremen. Maybe I am wrong, but LaVille lost a ton of experience. Bremen doesn't have much experience, but they love to hit quoting from Tony Ross in the Marshall County schools interview from earlier in the week. I want to say that this matchup is going to be closer, but my heart is saying that it will be LaVille 42 Bremen 14 

West Central at Caston

My questions about this matchup is pretty simple. Does West Central continue building off of their sectional win? Caston brings back experience, does this help them take control of their rival? I think the most interesting thing is that the HNAC has the number of MWC opponents and this will continue with Caston winning. Caston 28 WC 12

South Central at Triton

I have seen what Triton can do and the hype around this team has brought a different attitude to the program. These kids love to hit and this team wants competition. The atmosphere around Bourbon has definitely changed with the new head coach installing a winning mentality with this program. The towns people will have things to complain about on their community cares Facebook page about their being too many explosions at the south end of the field tonight. I have heard some buzz coming from South Central, though, that their defense has really improved and that they gave Glenn some trouble. The offense though had a lot of issues with not being able to run the ball and their passing game was alright. However, I think Triton's depth and their ability sub players out is going to be the biggest factor in this. Triton will be able to move the ball with ease and you will everyone be involved in this game. Triton 49 South Central 0

Trojan67

Curious minds are wondering who you would have selected for the 46 Game of the Week?

Honestly, this could be a closer game for a longer time than people think.  42-0 was last year, with two totally different teams.

Graduation, players not returning on both sides of the ball from a year ago.

LaVille at Bremen

from_the_sidelines007

35 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Trojan67

Curious minds are wondering who you would have selected for the 46 Game of the Week?

Honestly, this could be a closer game for a longer time than people think.  42-0 was last year, with two totally different teams.

LaVille at Bremen

from_the_sidelines007

Is the game gonna be online to watch or just Channel 46 at 11 and 7

18 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Trojan67

LaVille at Bremen

from_the_sidelines007

In my opinion and on paper, it just seemed like there were other games that could have been selected. Like Jimtown and Northwood, Warsaw and Michigan City, New Prairie and LaPorte. I haven't watched the game yet and am planning to today, but it sounds like it was a really good game. Like I get it, it was a rivalry. There is no question about it. I just thought on paper, LaVille was going to do more to attempt to make it a blowout win which made it seem like it was a questionable game to be considered the game of the week. 

26 minutes ago, Trojan67 said:

In my opinion and on paper, it just seemed like there were other games that could have been selected. Like Jimtown and Northwood, Warsaw and Michigan City, New Prairie and LaPorte. I haven't watched the game yet and am planning to today, but it sounds like it was a really good game. Like I get it, it was a rivalry. There is no question about it. I just thought on paper, LaVille was going to do more to attempt to make it a blowout win which made it seem like it was a questionable game to be considered the game of the week. 

LaVille punched Bremen early in the mouth after an interception. Bremen couldn’t run the  ball all night. LaVille scored again to end the 1st. 14-0 LaVille. After that the Bremen defense tightened up. Grabbed a field goal. 14-3 at half. Traded possessions in the 3rd. Reece Greene got free to make it 14-10. LaVille added a field goal to make it 17-10. Lions had a punchers chance, but a running into an offsides and running into the penalty stole in hopes. LaVille was bigger and faster and overall better. Bremen didn’t lay down though and gave them a game. 

Congrats to Pioneer on the win over Cass!  In my mind, that instantly makes them a player for the HNAC crown.  I don't think they'll win it, but they will be a factor in who does.

Triton was not as explosive offensively as I expected them to be.  They were solid and moved the ball well.  I just thought we would see some home runs, but it was a lot of singles with a few doubles scattered in here and there.  But disciplined teams can win a lot of games that way!

• Like 1

Still believe Knox is the team to beat. Pioneer took a big step Friday.  Panthers start 14 freshmen and sophomores, but they are talented. Seniors are well seasoned and provide excellent leadership.  Friday is just one game, but if they can stay healthy they could be a dangerous draw come tourney time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FinePrint said:

Congrats to Pioneer on the win over Cass!  In my mind, that instantly makes them a player for the HNAC crown.  I don't think they'll win it, but they will be a factor in who does.

Triton was not as explosive offensively as I expected them to be.  They were solid and moved the ball well.  I just thought we would see some home runs, but it was a lot of singles with a few doubles scattered in here and there.  But disciplined teams can win a lot of games that way!

Not to take anything away from Pioneer because the future does look very bright for them, but I don't think Cass is going to be that great this year. I think Pioneer is kind of stuck right in the middle of the conference behind Triton, Knox, and North Judson. Might be able to beat Laville this year. Another year or two, and they will be back at the top of the conference. I could be wrong, just my humble opinion.