SIAC Week 3

3 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

JH Lines

Castle (-14) at Bosse

Harrison at North (-24)

Memorial (-38) at Central

Reitz (-7) at Jasper

VL (-3) at Mater Dei

After watching Castle do whatever it wanted against MD and seeing VL play Reitz closer than many thought, especially holding them to only 2 TDs, I think you could triple or quadruple that spread and VL still covers. Unless it’s a similar situation to the Bosse game where starters didn’t play most of the second half. 

Calpreps:

Castle (-27) at Bosse, 96% chance of victory for the Knights

Harrison at North (-41), 99% chance of victory for the Huskies

Memorial (-62) at Central, 99% chance of victory for the Tigers

Reitz (-10) at Jasper, 74% chance of victory for the Panthers

VL (-26) at Mater Dei, 95% chance of victory for the Alices

8 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Calpreps:

Castle (-27) at Bosse, 96% chance of victory for the Knights

Harrison at North (-41), 99% chance of victory for the Huskies

Memorial (-62) at Central, 99% chance of victory for the Tigers

Reitz (-10) at Jasper, 74% chance of victory for the Panthers

VL (-26) at Mater Dei, 95% chance of victory for the Alices

Castle vs Bosse 27 seems about right. Impressive what Bosse has done with such a small roster, but they can’t compete with the Knights.

Harrison vs North another year and it’s still the same, the worst coaching job in the SIAC belongs the the Huskies. D1 talent. Incredible size, speed, rosters size and can’t score a point. Harrison felt like maybe last year was the start to something. That seems wrong now. 

Tigers vs Bears Memorial seems to lack a true game breaker. It won’t matter until tourney time. They are well coached and play so hard. The Bears look to be years away.

Reitz vs Jasper the Panthers are loaded. I hate that I have to watch Jaspers offense another year. Some may like it, but it’s painful for me.

VL vs MD 

VL is above average and will finish around 500. Is this the worst MD team of the last 20 years? I bet they have already started practicing twice a day and if anyone can fix it MG can. But man are the struggling. 

8 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

Castle vs Bosse 27 seems about right. Impressive what Bosse has done with such a small roster, but they can’t compete with the Knights.

Harrison vs North another year and it’s still the same, the worst coaching job in the SIAC belongs the the Huskies. D1 talent. Incredible size, speed, rosters size and can’t score a point. Harrison felt like maybe last year was the start to something. That seems wrong now. 

Tigers vs Bears Memorial seems to lack a true game breaker. It won’t matter until tourney time. They are well coached and play so hard. The Bears look to be years away.

Reitz vs Jasper the Panthers are loaded. I hate that I have to watch Jaspers offense another year. Some may like it, but it’s painful for me.

VL vs MD 

VL is above average and will finish around 500. Is this the worst MD team of the last 20 years? I bet they have already started practicing twice a day and if anyone can fix it MG can. But man are the struggling. 

Memorial no true game breaker. Lmao. You obviously haven’t paid attention to their skill guys last year and this year. Fisher and Ellsperman are game changers. Broshears is one of the baddest dudes on the field every Friday night. Then mix in the best offense coach and D coordinator in the SIAC. 

You are saying Memorial will be ok until tournament then struggle ? 
Again, you obviously have paid little attention to the best tournament team in the area over the last 8 years. 

Edited by Screagle

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

Memorial no true game breaker. Lmao. You obviously haven’t paid attention to their skill guys last year and this year. Fisher and Ellsperman are game changers. Broshears is one of the baddest dudes on the field every Friday night. Then mix in the best offense coach and D coordinator in the SIAC. 

You are saying Memorial will be ok until tournament then struggle ? 
Again, you obviously have paid little attention to the best tournament team in the area over the last 8 years. 

I have paid attention. RB1 looks slower than last year. RB2 is faster but runs soft. There is no Combs or Brodie on this team. Ellsperman has played great. He still isn’t them. QB has had success on quick screens and tunnel screens. He has been fine but not able to read defenses . The D has played great. They are yet to be tested in the passing game. Yes this team could win a sectional. It’s going to be difficult after that. I’ve seen every snap. I’m just not delusional. It can still be a good year. Just not a great one. 

32 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

I have paid attention. RB1 looks slower than last year. RB2 is faster but runs soft. There is no Combs or Brodie on this team. Ellsperman has played great. He still isn’t them. QB has had success on quick screens and tunnel screens. He has been fine but not able to read defenses . The D has played great. They are yet to be tested in the passing game. Yes this team could win a sectional. It’s going to be difficult after that. I’ve seen every snap. I’m just not delusional. It can still be a good year. Just not a great one. 

You’ve seen every snap of Memorial football but this coming Friday you hate to watch Jasper offense vs Reitz.  The games at Jasper. Hmmmm 

There is a Combs  #12  played offense and defense  

Edited by Screagle

3 hours ago, Evansville50 said:

There is no Combs or Brodie on this team. Ellsperman has played great. He still isn’t them. QB has had success on quick screens and tunnel screens. He has been fine but not able to read defenses . The D has played great. They are yet to be tested in the passing game.

Those kinds of players are rare. Branson was easily the best two-way player in the SIAC in decades. Brodie won state in the 100. Nobody has those kinds of players in SW Indiana this year. I am curious though, what SIAC teams have "game breakers" in your opinion? Who had them last year? MD won state, who was their "game breaker"? 

I agree with Screagle. Whoever wins 24 is going to have their hands full against EC. 

23 minutes ago, tango said:

Those kinds of players are rare. Branson was easily the best two-way player in the SIAC in decades. Brodie won state in the 100. Nobody has those kinds of players in SW Indiana this year. I am curious though, what SIAC teams have "game breakers" in your opinion? Who had them last year? MD won state, who was their "game breaker"? 

I agree with Screagle. Whoever wins 24 is going to have their hands full against EC. 

Xavier Thomas was a game breaker. I agree that Combs was the best player of the last ten years. Vera at QB was one. The kid from Castle looks to have that potential this year. You can win in 1A 2A without one. You can’t in 4a and above. I’m not taking anything away from Memorial this year. They are going to be very good. My point was they are missing one kid who could take them to Indy. Years past they did. Both Combs, Irvin, Brodie had that ability etc. This isn’t a dump on a team post it’s just an opinion on what it takes to have a special year. To add to that Reitz lost early so it’s not a guarantee it’s just a part of what it takes.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Screagle said:

I think it takes a QB more than any position to have a special year. Right now Memorial has the best one. North is showing us why a QB is most important. 

I agree it’s the most important. Fisher has been good, but I saw some clips of Wagner at Bosse the last two weeks and he might be special. Paper said he had over 300 yards close to 100 rushing and caught a TD of 60+ yards. Fisher definitely has a better support system but I can’t wait to see the Wagner kid in person. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

These two matchups really intrigue me.  

It will be interesting to see how they stack up.  

I agree, especially how MD will respond back after what Castle did to them over the weekend

Edited by TigerFan20

3 hours ago, Screagle said:

I think it takes a QB more than any position to have a special year. Right now Memorial has the best one. North is showing us why a QB is most important. 

I like the skill guys at Memorial this year, lots of potential in this group especially given how quickly they got out of the gate.  Which teams will improve the most over the next three games?  Going to be an interesting matchup with the Panthers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I like the skill guys at Memorial this year, lots of potential in this group especially given how quickly they got out of the gate.  Which teams will improve the most over the next three games?  Going to be an interesting matchup with the Panthers.

The biggest surprise for me at this point is the D. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

These two matchups really intrigue me.  

It will be interesting to see how they stack up.  

I agree. The only two games that could be competitive. 

I think VL beats MD again but can MD keep it close? VL has a physical, sound defense so I think MD will struggle to score. But if they can contain Hunt a little bit they may be able to stay in the game.

I think Reitz is much better than Jasper but it's never easy making the trip to Jasper and beating them. Plus with Jasper's offense and how they can control the clock if they sustain drives, you never know. But the Reitz D is very good and I think they'll be fine.

MasseyRatings: 

Memorial(-35) at Central, 99% chance of victory for the Tigers 

Harrison at North (-33), 99% chance of victory for the Huskies 

Reitz at Jasper (-2), 54% chance of victory for the Cats 

Castle (-32) at Bosse, 94% chance of victory for the Knights 

VL at Mater Dei (-20), 82% chance of victory for the Cats

10 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

I agree. The only two games that could be competitive. 

I think VL beats MD again but can MD keep it close? VL has a physical, sound defense so I think MD will struggle to score. But if they can contain Hunt a little bit they may be able to stay in the game.

I think Reitz is much better than Jasper but it's never easy making the trip to Jasper and beating them. Plus with Jasper's offense and how they can control the clock if they sustain drives, you never know. But the Reitz D is very good and I think they'll be fine.

So far the VL D is trending in the same directions as last season based on the stats above.

12 hours ago, Titan32 said:

So far the VL D is trending in the same directions as last season based on the stats above.

I think stats this early can be a little misleading. Especially based on the film I saw where their starters played only like 4 snaps in the second half against Bosse which is when Bosse racked up their yards and points. Stats are always skewed early just simply based on who teams play and how tough the start of a season is compared to other teams first two games. MD will be out for blood this week. Coming off their loss plus getting beat by VL last season is motivation enough. 

I'm not saying they don't have their issues on both sides of the ball, along with many other teams, but I don't put a bunch of stock in running clock games especially this early in the season. That goes for offensive and defensive stats. 

Reitz has the best D. Period. Memorial has looked very good so far as well. North might have the most physical defense but their conditioning will be what gets them beat by teams and the lack of a QB. Castle is always going to be tough (or should be) with the total enrollment they can choose from. Jasper seems to always put it together as the season progresses. 

After watching the Reitz and VL game last week, I will say that VL defense is far better than the stats will say. But like you said it is early. I think there are gonna be few, if any teams that hold Reitz to less than 30 points this year. Just hard to tell off two games especially if you say VL gave up almost 30 in the second half against Bosse with their JV in. 

Castle at Bosse - The Bulldogs may be able to move the ball a bit and make some big plays. I just don't think they match up well overall with the Knights. I will take Knights by 4 scores.

Harrison at North - The Warriors are going to have a very tough season and will be lucky to beat Central. The Huskies win in a running clock game and could even pass a bit if they want to.

Memorial at Central - The Bears are completely outmatched in this one. Would be shocked if they score. The Tigers roll in running clock fashion.

Reitz at Jasper - I think the Panthers are much better than the Wildcats. However, if the Wildcats can take care of the ball and not fall behind early, they have a chance in any game. Both teams are down a few starters I believe so don't think that will be a factor. I will take Panthers by 3 scores.

Vincennes at Mater Dei - The Wildcats most likely felt the rage of MG after last week and picked up their urgency in practice, so expect them to bounce back from a competitive perspective. I still don't think they are quite good enough to beat the Alices though. It does help that the Alices have to come to The Bowl again, but I will still take Alices by 2 scores.

Just now, TheMole said:

After watching the Reitz and VL game last week, I will say that VL defense is far better than the stats will say. But like you said it is early. I think there are gonna be few, if any teams that hold Reitz to less than 30 points this year. Just hard to tell off two games especially if you say VL gave up almost 30 in the second half against Bosse with their JV in. 

I agree. I think the best assessment I've heard of the Alices so far (compared to last season) is...their offense took a step back but their defense took a step forward. They seem to be very limited on offense (Hunt is dangerous though) but they have a whole group of defenders that can make plays. Reitz won't have many, if any, more games that are that close. But I've also heard people say that game felt like a blowout, so it's hard telling.