Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Players leaving the state to play at the highest level

11 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Can't stockpile talents?  I think its just the opposite. Schools like Texas, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. have the opportunity to further distance themselves as they can pour more money into their NIL pools than the majority of schools in their conferences and especially from the mid-majors.  

Arch Manning made $3.2 million last year as a backup QB for Texas.  That's more $$ than some starting QB's in the NFL.  Majority of schools cannot use that type of money to incentivize recruits to come their way.

image.png.ccafc68537d0ad83da9c21fe268c8fcf.png

Please don’t lump Michigan in with that group.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Can't stockpile talents?  I think its just the opposite. Schools like Texas, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. have the opportunity to further distance themselves as they can pour more money into their NIL pools than the majority of schools in their conferences and especially from the mid-majors.  

Arch Manning made $3.2 million last year as a backup QB for Texas.  That's more $$ than some starting QB's in the NFL.  Majority of schools cannot use that type of money to incentivize recruits to come their way.

image.png.ccafc68537d0ad83da9c21fe268c8fcf.png

To me for the past 10 years it was all Georgia and bama and now we have those teams you mentioned now competing

12 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

To me for the past 10 years it was all Georgia and bama and now we have those teams you mentioned now competing

Georgia won last 2 years.  Their prior championship was 1980. Since the CFP, you are correct that only Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State have won championships. Perhaps a select few will be added into the equation. But the “football rich” schools will continue to seperate themselves under this equation. 

13 hours ago, temptation said:

Please don’t lump Michigan in with that group.

They are undoubtedly a football rich school. 

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Georgia won last 2 years.  Their prior championship was 1980. Since the CFP, you are correct that only Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State have won championships. Perhaps a select few will be added into the equation. But the “football rich” schools will continue to seperate themselves under this equation. 

They are undoubtedly a football rich school. 

Yes, but the way they structure their NIL is vastly different than the pay for play schools you just listed.  The reason Michigan is so successful in the transfer portal is that they get a second crack at kids who took the bag when recruited the first time out of high school.

Ohio State just got in a public bidding war with two Florida schools for a 5 star WR.  He "verbally committed" in the early afternoon and signed right before bed time because he "wanted to make sure the structure of the NIL deal OSU promised was in place."  

This is NOT how NIL was intended.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Yes, but the way they structure their NIL is vastly different than the pay for play schools you just listed.  The reason Michigan is so successful in the transfer portal is that they get a second crack at kids who took the bag when recruited the first time out of high school.

Ohio State just got in a public bidding war with two Florida schools for a 5 star WR.  He "verbally committed" in the early afternoon and signed right before bed time because he "wanted to make sure the structure of the NIL deal OSU promised was in place."  

1. Can you unpack the comment regarding Michigan's NIL structure? I'm not aware of it and pay little attention NIL deals. Curious to see how Michigan handles the NIL. 
  2. Is it public how much Smith is getting in his NIL? 

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:
  1. Can you unpack the comment regarding Michigan's NIL structure? I'm not aware of it and pay little attention NIL deals. Curious to see how Michigan handles the NIL. 
  2. Is it public how much Smith is getting in his NIL? 

Michigan's NIL is all about once you get on campus...as it should be.  There are few, if any, up front guarantees and they will not/have not (to my knowledge) gotten into a bidding war over a recruit.  They can empty the pocketbook and compete with any of the teams on @Bash Riprock's list once a student athlete gets on campus and starts performing.  

Now, my head is not that deep in the sand and I am not under any impression that Michigan is this clean, virtuous program but I can say that the culture of players currently on the football team is the best its been in my lifetime.  They rarely get a half dozen "5 stars" like the big 3-4, rather their fair share of 3-4 stars with something to prove.  They are amidst the best stretch in program history "barely" have a top 20 class...

The folks on the OSU insider message boards stated that Smith is getting nearly $2 million up front as part of his "deal" with Ohio State.  Could be rumor an innuendo, but I would not be surprised one bit if its accurate.

Edited by temptation

Posted this in the other thread and thought it might be relevant here also.

247’s top 247 recruits for the class of 2024 by homestate:

Texas - 39

Georgia - 29

Florida - 27

California - 21

Alabama - 15

Ohio - 9

Louisiana/Maryland/Mississippi/North Carolina - 8

Illinois - 7

Missouri - 6

Indiana/Tennessee/Virginia/Washington - 5

Michigan - 4

Arizona/Arkansas/Connecticut/Pennsylvania/South Carolina - 3

Iowa/Kansas/Kentucky/Massachusetts/New Jersey/Utah/Washington - 2

District of Columbia/Hawaii/Idaho/Minnesota/Nebraska/Nevada/North Dakota/Oklahoma - 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:49 AM, temptation said:

NIL and transfer portal has exploded and was done wrong IMO to begin with. This could potentially kill football program at lower levels or tiers. You can already see this in the bowl games. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, psaboy said:

NIL and transfer portal has exploded and was done wrong IMO to begin with. This could potentially kill football program at lower levels or tiers. You can already see this in the bowl games. 

Yeah these games are a joke 

Syracuse has a tight end playing qb

texas am 3rd string qb injured 1st play

I’m sure there are more instances of lack of depth