Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Players leaving the state to play at the highest level

Of the 17 signed players to IU's upcoming freshmen class 5 come from Indiana.

Purdue managed to do worse, by signing 4 out of 25. 

Theses are two of the larger schools in this state, and we cannot even manage to keep some of the best talent at home? These young men grow up typically routing for IU, Purdue or Notre Dame...

I know Indiana is not a recruiting hot bed in Football, but these schools need to find a way to keep the better talent in state if they want to be competitive.

Congrats to every Hoosier football player that signed with a program at any level today! Your hard work has paid off. 

Indiana represents well for a state of its size.

Here is where the Top 40 are committed.  Perhaps this year isn't its strongest class.  Many are heading to the MAC, but the Power 4 schools also took some players.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/12/20/signing-day-where-indiana-high-school-football-top-players-are-going-ihsaa-recruiting-rankings/71979255007/

Nappanee (Ind.) Northwood’s Jo'Ziah Edmond was a sleeper for much of his recruitment, but following a strong junior season where he dominated on both sides of the ball at wide receiver and defensive back, he started to see offers come his way. The 6-foot-1, 180-pounder would go on to commit to Purdue and first-year head coach Ryan Walters. However, his rapid progression, measurables and intriguing skill-set caught the attention of others such as Michigan and defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale.

“After talking it over with Michigan and hearing about the academics and getting to know the coaches, this was the better decision for me,” Edmond told 247Sports. “There are better chances for me to get a better degree and then football wise, it’s a dream school for me. Seeing that and being able to say I’m a graduate from Michigan with a diploma and then doing big things with football, those are both big accomplishments.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Of the 17 signed players to IU's upcoming freshmen class 5 come from Indiana.

Purdue managed to do worse, by signing 4 out of 25. 

Theses are two of the larger schools in this state, and we cannot even manage to keep some of the best talent at home? These young men grow up typically routing for IU, Purdue or Notre Dame...

I know Indiana is not a recruiting hot bed in Football, but these schools need to find a way to keep the better talent in state if they want to be competitive.

Congrats to every Hoosier football player that signed with a program at any level today! Your hard work has paid off. 

Not really sure what you expect Purdue and IU to do. They're not going to outrecruit Ohio State, ND, Michigan and any SEC blue blood 99% of the time for an Indiana kid those schools want. If they then relied on flipping the MAC recruits they would really be in trouble. And some kids who IU or Purdue could get will choose to go play out of state for personal reasons like connection to certain coaches, academics, or a desire to leave Indiana. 

Looking at the where the Top 15 recruits in Indiana are going per 247 aligns with my thoughts from above: 

1. Ohio State
  2. Georgia
  3. Michigan 
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Ohio State
  6. Indiana
  7. San Diego State (Connection to coach from Colorado)
  8. Notre Dame
  9. Indiana
  10. Purdue
  11. Louisville
  12. Indiana
  13. Iowa
  14. Indiana
  15. Purdue
Edited by Boilernation

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Indiana represents well for a state of its size.

Here is where the Top 40 are committed.  Perhaps this year isn't its strongest class.  Many are heading to the MAC, but the Power 4 schools also took some players.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/12/20/signing-day-where-indiana-high-school-football-top-players-are-going-ihsaa-recruiting-rankings/71979255007/

Man, no fact checking by The Star or On3.com? Patrick Clacks didn't play for Andrean this year. The IHSAA blocked his transfer to Crown Point and he played in Chicago. Glenn Patterson didn't play for Lafayette Jeff as well. And I doubt Northern Illiinois is still going to take him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Not really sure what you expect Purdue and IU to do. 

Recruit their state better. Actually figure out who the top players are in your state, sooner, especially when players and coaches are sending the film and building connections. Purdue and IU's pick off the scraps strategy of recruiting has and will continue to fail them. With the exception of a handful of recruits through the years, Purdue and IU like to feed off the scraps of their own state, neighboring states, and some nationally recognized football states (Florida, Texas, California, Georgia, etc.) but this strategy has led to mediocrity with the exception of a handful of seasons for each program over the past 20 years. 

They're not going to out recruit Ohio State, ND, Michigan and any SEC blue blood 99% of the time for an Indiana kid those schools want.

You are correct, but they definitely won't do that if they don't prioritize their in-state recruits. I personally know two different Indiana HS recruits in the last 5 years that should have been Boilermakers or Hoosiers and ended up going elsewhere because of the way they were treated by those places (if they even acknowledged they existed at all). I don't personally know the recruiters of IU or Purdue that recruited those guys at the times of their recruitment but I do know that the families felt they should have been treated better by a middle of the road Big Ten program (at best) pursuing their son's who already had better suitors as far as football (and sometimes academics) is concerned. IU and Purdue should be rolling out the proverbial red carpet for these Indiana kids and their families, not indirectly telling them "we know we won't get you so best of luck at ND, Ohio State, Michigan, or Georgia." 

Also, I am fully aware of the NIL hurdles that IU and Purdue will now have to compete with as well but truthfully, if they did a better job recruiting prior to NIL, they may have more NIL money to use now a days. 🤷‍♂️ 

36 minutes ago, CoachMack219 said:

Recruit their state better. Actually figure out who the top players are in your state, sooner, especially when players and coaches are sending the film and building connections. Purdue and IU's pick off the scraps strategy of recruiting has and will continue to fail them. With the exception of a handful of recruits through the years, Purdue and IU like to feed off the scraps of their own state, neighboring states, and some nationally recognized football states (Florida, Texas, California, Georgia, etc.) but this strategy has led to mediocrity with the exception of a handful of seasons for each program over the past 20 years. 

You are correct, but they definitely won't do that if they don't prioritize their in-state recruits. I personally know two different Indiana HS recruits in the last 5 years that should have been Boilermakers or Hoosiers and ended up going elsewhere because of the way they were treated by those places (if they even acknowledged they existed at all). I don't personally know the recruiters of IU or Purdue that recruited those guys at the times of their recruitment but I do know that the families felt they should have been treated better by a middle of the road Big Ten program (at best) pursuing their son's who already had better suitors as far as football (and sometimes academics) is concerned. IU and Purdue should be rolling out the proverbial red carpet for these Indiana kids and their families, not indirectly telling them "we know we won't get you so best of luck at ND, Ohio State, Michigan, or Georgia." 

Also, I am fully aware of the NIL hurdles that IU and Purdue will now have to compete with as well but truthfully, if they did a better job recruiting prior to NIL, they may have more NIL money to use now a days. 🤷‍♂️ 

Wonder how much better/worse Purdue would perform taking a "state-first" approach?  It went 4-6 this year and its "biggest win" came over a school that finished 6-6 this year.  All other wins came over schools that didn't have winning seasons.  If Purdue were able to develop the ability and reputation for consolidating the state's talent, would they be any worse off than they are right now?  

And, yes, we can talk about the Drew Brees days and grabbing Texas/national talent, but realistically, Purdue's only had four winning seasons since Tiller retired a decade and a half ago.  I guess the question is, how much worse would Purdue be with a heavier Indiana-centric focus?  The counter argument is that no program, outside of maybe big-state programs, can rise to national prominence relying on the backs of their state talent only, but it's not like the last decade and a half has Purdue mentioned in the midwest hunt, much less the national talk.

1 hour ago, CoachMack219 said:

We're not talking about recent struggles here. We're talking about a well documented history of the state's top recruits opting for Michigan, Ohio State, ND or others not named Purdue or IU. It is what it is. Building connections early on isn't going to stop those kids from knowing the 3 schools above have a higher profile and offer a higher percentage to win. For example, look at Caden Curry and how many of his Center Grove teammates are at IU. What would you honestly do if you were given the option of playing with teammates at a historical Big Ten cellar dwellar or play on the vaunted Ohio State DL? Same for Mylan Graham this year. Go play WR at a school tha's turned into a factory for 1st round draft picks at WR or go play with Purdue or IU. It's a no brainer. And how do you know Purdue or IU's coaches didn't at least take a shot at the state's Top 5 players? One of them was committed to Purdue and bolted when Michigan offered. 

And I disagree regarding the "scraps" strategy. The scraps in certain states that Purdue and IU recruit will have numerious Power 5 Offers. Are you saying Purdue and IU should focus on flipping kids in Indiana who only have MAC offers? That gets a coach fired. 

And as someone mentioned, any kid from Indiana who should received better than MAC offers can just get picked up in the Portal anyways. But those will be few and far between. 

Edited by Boilernation

Great topic......

I think most of us would love if some of the higher rated Indiana HS players (recruiting ratings) would stay in state vs leaving.  I guess they need a compelling reason to stay.  Fact is that its tough in this state with so many big time programs within a 5-6 hour radius.  Throw in NIL money, and ease of transferring, I understand why the highest rated players "take their shot".

Hopefully, IU and Purdue can build more consistent and sustainable programs.  But I can't help wondering if HS recruiting is taking a back seat to the portal now anyways.  I truly think coaches are now looking there first. (or at least equal)

BTW, when did it become a bad thing for a kid to accept a scholly at a mid-major program such as the MAC?  Perhaps getting on the field as soon as possible may be he smartest thing one can do...while maximizing a free education.  Congrats to any player that earns a scholly!!

7 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Wonder how much better/worse Purdue would perform taking a "state-first" approach?  It went 4-6 this year and its "biggest win" came over a school that finished 6-6 this year.  All other wins came over schools that didn't have winning seasons.  If Purdue were able to develop the ability and reputation for consolidating the state's talent, would they be any worse off than they are right now?  

That's the question that I think they need to try to answer. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Indiana is a HS football hot bed by any means but there is some serious talent and size scattered throughout the state aside from the insane amounts around Indy alone but yet our two public universities struggle to field competitive teams and effectively recruit our state. I feel like adding 2-3 guys per year from our state's top 10 has to be more valuable than grabbing the 50th,  60th, and 63rd rated guys in Texas, Cali, or Georgia, regardless of the vast differences in the Indiana and those specific HS football products. 

And, yes, we can talk about the Drew Brees days and grabbing Texas/national talent, but realistically, Purdue's only had four winning seasons since Tiller retired a decade and a half ago.  I guess the question is, how much worse would Purdue be with a heavier Indiana-centric focus?  The counter argument is that no program, outside of maybe big-state programs, can rise to national prominence relying on the backs of their state talent only, but it's not like the last decade and a half has Purdue mentioned in the midwest hunt, much less the national talk.

The Drew Brees find was 1 in a million and now it's the recruiting method of Purdue and IU that has led to their continued mediocrity, or less than. That becomes frustrating to see play out when Indiana talent is leaving to go elsewhere year in and year out. Being more Indiana-centric focused would be beneficial to each of these programs and as you noted, relying solely on in-state talent is not feasible in a state that (as I mentioned above) is not a hot bed for HS football but having only a quarter of your roster be composed of in-state talent (and often the wrong in-state talent) is no bueno. 

19 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

And I disagree regarding the "scraps" strategy. The scraps in certain states that Purdue and IU recruit will have numerous Power 5 Offers. Are you saying Purdue and IU should focus on flipping kids in Indiana who only have MAC offers? That gets a coach fired. 

And as someone mentioned, any kid from Indiana who should received better than MAC offers can just get picked up in the Portal anyways. But those will be few and far between. 

They have "numerous power 5 offers" but yet can't help Purdue and IU improve, based on the "well documented history" of IU and Purdue flat out sucking at football and recruiting prospective student-athletes. I would respect the "flipping MAC recruits gets you fired thing" but Carson Steele wasn't good enough for IU or Purdue, was for Ball State and UCLA though? IU also has an Indiana Wesleyan transfer on their roster this year. So that kid wasn't good enough for them coming out of high school but was when he tore up the NAIA level? 9 of the Indiana kids on IU's roster were not Hoosiers to begin their collegiate careers but came back eventually. Idk man, seems to me they can do a better job in some aspect to land these kids in the first place and avoid feeding off the scraps that make them .500 at best. 3 of the top 4 running back recruits in this year's Indiana class are leaving the state (Josh Ringer, Xavier Williams, & Jaden Hart) but don't worry, the 11th best RB in Florida is going to come save the day because their HS football is a better product... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Great topic......

I think most of us would love if some of the higher rated Indiana HS players (recruiting ratings) would stay in state vs leaving.  I guess they need a compelling reason to stay.  Fact is that its tough in this state with so many big time programs within a 5-6 hour radius.  Throw in NIL money, and ease of transferring, I understand why the highest rated players "take their shot".

Hopefully, IU and Purdue can build more consistent and sustainable programs.  But I can't help wondering if HS recruiting is taking a back seat to the portal now anyways.  I truly think coaches are now looking there first. (or at least equal)

BTW, when did it become a bad thing for a kid to accept a scholly at a mid-major program such as the MAC?  Perhaps getting on the field as soon as possible may be he smartest thing one can do...while maximizing a free education.  Congrats to any player that earns a scholly!!

Peronally, I rather hit the portal than take a borderline Power 5 conference recruit. At least you have actual college film on the guy in the portal. Agreed. nothing wrong with the MAC. Free education. NFL scouts the MAC. And early playing time can lead to better opportunities in the portal.  Purdue is getting a kid from Ball State. But, if a player only has MAC offers and not a single Power 5 Conference offer there's probably a reason and it's not a good idea for Purdue or IU to feast on those recruits. And only a very small percentage of them are like Carson Steele who clearly should have been highly recruited.

23 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Definitely not a bad thing and honestly, some of these MAC schools are significantly better at recruiting than Purdue and IU, especially since IU fielded 14 MAC transfers (or equivalent Group of 5 schools) this year and Purdue had 9. Coaches are definitely trending towards utilizing the portal more than HS recruiting anyways but that doesn't excuse them from continuing to miss on the Carson Steele's of the world. 

23 minutes ago, CoachMack219 said:

The Drew Brees find was 1 in a million and now it's the recruiting method of Purdue and IU that has led to their continued mediocrity, or less than. That becomes frustrating to see play out when Indiana talent is leaving to go elsewhere year in and year out. Being more Indiana-centric focused would be beneficial to each of these programs and as you noted, relying solely on in-state talent is not feasible in a state that (as I mentioned above) is not a hot bed for HS football but having only a quarter of your roster be composed of in-state talent (and often the wrong in-state talent) is no bueno. 

They have "numerous power 5 offers" but yet can't help Purdue and IU improve, based on the "well documented history" of IU and Purdue flat out sucking at football and recruiting prospective student-athletes. I would respect the "flipping MAC recruits gets you fired thing" but Carson Steele wasn't good enough for IU or Purdue, was for Ball State and UCLA though? IU also has an Indiana Wesleyan transfer on their roster this year. So that kid wasn't good enough for them coming out of high school but was when he tore up the NAIA level? 9 of the Indiana kids on IU's roster were not Hoosiers to begin their collegiate careers but came back eventually. Idk man, seems to me they can do a better job in some aspect to land these kids in the first place and avoid feeding off the scraps that make them .500 at best. 3 of the top 4 running back recruits in this year's Indiana class are leaving the state (Josh Ringer, Xavier Williams, & Jaden Hart) but don't worry, the 11th best RB in Florida is going to come save the day because their HS football is a better product... 

Carson Steele is a very poor analogy for a variety of reasons. Per 247, Ringer and Wiliams combined for 1 Power 5 offer and that was Williams going to Iowa. Jaden Hart was offered by Purdue in 2021. They did what you asked. Did you ask him why he turned down Purdue for Syracuse? I could see Ringer being a miss, but that would mean every Big Ten school missed on him. Willimas barely even played for Lake Central this year due to an injury. Perhaps Purdue and IU weren't sold on him as a Junior and were waiting to see how he looked as a Senior. It seemed to work for Donovan Hamilton who is an in-state kid that signed with Purdue. And for every Josh Ringer is a plethora of kids whose names you'll never hear again. 

Purdue and IU are doing what the other middle of the pack to bottom Big Ten programs are doing. Feasting on scraps in football hotbeds and hitting homeruns with Midwest kids that either passed on Ohio State/Michigan/Notre Dame or weren't good enough to get offers from Ohio State/Michigan/ Notre Dame. Just because it hasn't elevated them to the level of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc. doesn't equate to them having more success with a roster centered around Indiana kids.

Edited by Boilernation

Definitely not a bad thing and honestly, some of these MAC schools are significantly better at recruiting than Purdue and IU, especially since IU fielded 14 MAC transfers (or equivalent Group of 5 schools) this year and Purdue had 9. Coaches are definitely trending towards utilizing the portal more than HS recruiting anyways but that doesn't excuse them from continuing to miss on the Carson Steele's of the world. 

Especially given that 1) it's really easy to get live views on them and 2) the dollar cost to look and talk is tremendously low compared to folks from other states.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Perhaps Purdue and IU weren't sold on him as a Junior and were waiting to see how he looked as a Senior. 

Purdue had Mr. Williams on campus, twice, and didn't offer then Iowa did and then guess who showed up? IU. I'd be willing to bet that Hart chose Syracuse over Purdue because himself and his family felt the love that Syracuse showed them because why else would you leave the state and commit to a school with more competition at your position? (10 RB's at Syracuse vs 7 at Purdue) Why do you do that? Maybe you weren't feeling the love at home (from Purdue)? Maybe there's a better major for his future career after football at Syracuse vs Purdue? Maybe they didn't like the fact that the guy who offered him was leaving and a new man entering? What I do know is that I refuse to defend Purdue or IU's downright AWFUL history of recruiting and the tactics they utilize that has resulted in a sub par football product for the 32 years of life I have been living. Jeff Brohm had the closest semblance of a productive recruiting cycle at an Indiana public University since I've been old enough to pay attention. 

Also, if we're going to continue to feed off of scraps, can we at least start getting the Michigan and Ohio scraps?! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE from Florida, Georgia, Texas, and California? That is CLEARLY not working for us here in the Hoosier state. 

Purdue Roster has... 

8 Guys from Illinois 

6 guys from Michigan 

4 guys from Ohio 

18 guys total from our border states not including Kentucky but yet has...

24 guys total from Texas, Florida, and California combined

Meanwhile, Ohio State (a well known real NATIONAL recruiter) has 54 Ohio-born players on their roster compared to 36 guys from Purdue (32 original commits) and 38 guys (29 original commits) at IU. Having two schools battle for in-state talent can be challenging but when you have to go outside that in-state talent, I feel it makes sense to get after some of these Ohio guys that go to Ohio State and never or rarely play, get them to Indiana to contribute to the Hoosier or Boilers. Save the mileage, they're in the Midwest too. 

31 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Especially given that 1) it's really easy to get live views on them and 2) the dollar cost to look and talk is tremendously low compared to folks from other states.

100%!!! How hard would it have been for someone from Bloomington or West Lafayette to make the trip over to Center Grove to see Carson live? And if you did watch him live, HOW IN THE WORLD do you let him go to the MAC first AND THEN let him go to the Pac-12 on the second try?! Were you even watching the game(s)?! 😂 Purdue and IU missing on him TWICE is inexcusable. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoachMack219 said:

Purdue had Mr. Williams on campus, twice, and didn't offer then Iowa did and then guess who showed up? IU. I'd be willing to bet that Hart chose Syracuse over Purdue because himself and his family felt the love that Syracuse showed them because why else would you leave the state and commit to a school with more competition at your position? (10 RB's at Syracuse vs 7 at Purdue) Why do you do that? Maybe you weren't feeling the love at home (from Purdue)? Maybe there's a better major for his future career after football at Syracuse vs Purdue? Maybe they didn't like the fact that the guy who offered him was leaving and a new man entering? What I do know is that I refuse to defend Purdue or IU's downright AWFUL history of recruiting and the tactics they utilize that has resulted in a sub par football product for the 32 years of life I have been living. Jeff Brohm had the closest semblance of a productive recruiting cycle at an Indiana public University since I've been old enough to pay attention. 

Also, if we're going to continue to feed off of scraps, can we at least start getting the Michigan and Ohio scraps?! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE from Florida, Georgia, Texas, and California? That is CLEARLY not working for us here in the Hoosier state. 

Purdue Roster has... 

8 Guys from Illinois 

6 guys from Michigan 

4 guys from Ohio 

18 guys total from our border states not including Kentucky but yet has...

24 guys total from Texas, Florida, and California combined

Meanwhile, Ohio State (a well known real NATIONAL recruiter) has 54 Ohio-born players on their roster compared to 36 guys from Purdue (32 original commits) and 38 guys (29 original commits) at IU. Having two schools battle for in-state talent can be challenging but when you have to go outside that in-state talent, I feel it makes sense to get after some of these Ohio guys that go to Ohio State and never or rarely play, get them to Indiana to contribute to the Hoosier or Boilers. Save the mileage, they're in the Midwest too. 

C'mon. You have no idea why Hart choose Syracuse over Purdue unless he actually told you. Have you reached out to Purdue or IU's coaching staffs and submitted your resume to be a recruiting analyst for them? You seem to have it all solved.

One thing to consider is It might be easier to get a kid from the South to come up for a free Big Ten education as opposed to convincing a kid from the Midwest to choose you over several other Big Ten schools that have been more successful lately. Obviously, winning changes that. 

Nonetheless, looking at Walters' 2024 Class by State out of HS: 

• Ohio = 5
  • Indiana = 4
  • Illinois = 3
  • Tennessee = 3
  • Texas = 2
  • Florida = 2
  • Alabama = 1
  • Kentucky = 1
  • Michigan = 1
  • Colorado = 1
  • Mississippi = 1

Nearly 60% of the HS recruits are from Indiana or a state that borders Indiana. That percentage would have been much higher had the in-state kids Purdue offered actually signed with Purdue. The 8 confirmed portal transfers has a kid from indiana and Ohio. As the use of the portal grows it's likely going to skew the roster numbers in regards to Midwest or National, which is expected. You can't expect a coach to work the Porta or JUCO ranks for only guys with Indiana, Ohio, Michigan or Illinois HS backgrounds.

Edited by Boilernation

36 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

C'mon. You have no idea why Hart choose Syracuse over Purdue unless he actually told you. Have you reached out to Purdue or IU's coaching staffs and submitted your resume to be a recruiting analyst for them? You seem to have it all solved.

I sure don't, that's why I gave you 3 possible options for why he, or any other recruit, may choose Syracuse over their in-state school who offered them early, I tailored those responses to his specific situation but you are correct, I don't know unless I ask him.

IU and Purdue aren't hiring at the moment, Ball State is though! Maybe I can go to the MAC, do well, transfer to the ACC or something, and go onto future success that way instead like Braden Fiske? Lol (another example not named Carson Steele)

You can't expect a coach to work the Porta or JUCO ranks for only guys with Indiana, Ohio, Michigan or Illinois HS backgrounds.

I don't at all. They SHOULD, however, go get those kids from those states that they missed on the first time (Carson Steele's and Braden Fiske's of the world). Just like they should be finding the kids that those far away states missed on the first time too. It's literally their job to find GOOD players not mediocre ones. Braden Fiske played well enough in 2021 for Purdue or IU to say to themselves, "hey we should try to get that kid in the portal! He's pretty good and he is from here!" But instead, they sat on their hands, watched him stay at Western 1 more year and then he's on one of the best defenses in the country in 2023. Am I too mean to the Boilers and Hoosiers for their continued failures? I think not but obviously, given your position in the convo, you think I'm being too harsh/ unrealistic. 

I sure don't, that's why I gave you 3 possible options for why he, or any other recruit, may choose Syracuse over their in-state school who offered them early, I tailored those responses to his specific situation but you are correct, I don't know unless I ask him.

IU and Purdue aren't hiring at the moment, Ball State is though! Maybe I can go to the MAC, do well, transfer to the ACC or something, and go onto future success that way instead like Braden Fiske? Lol (another example not named Carson Steele)

I don't at all. They SHOULD, however, go get those kids from those states that they missed on the first time (Carson Steele's and Braden Fiske's of the world). Just like they should be finding the kids that those far away states missed on the first time too. It's literally their job to find GOOD players not mediocre ones. Braden Fiske played well enough in 2021 for Purdue or IU to say to themselves, "hey we should try to get that kid in the portal! He's pretty good and he is from here!" But instead, they sat on their hands, watched him stay at Western 1 more year and then he's on one of the best defenses in the country in 2023. Am I too mean to the Boilers and Hoosiers for their continued failures? I think not but obviously, given your position in the convo, you think I'm being too harsh/ unrealistic. 

Braden Fiske was at Western Michigan for 4 years prior to transferring to Florida State. Not sure who even offered him a scholarship coming out of Michigan City. And did Braden tell you he would have turned down Tallahassee for a chance to play 1 season at Purdue? Purdue may have reached out to him. I'm guessing IU did since they signed his WMU teammate a few days after Braden signed with Florida State. You act as if anyone from Indiana that Purdue or IU recruits will pack their bags and sign on the spot. It takes 2 to tango. Winning helps change that, but it's not the only factor.

. Braden Fiske played well enough in 2021 for Purdue or IU to say to themselves, "hey we should try to get that kid in the portal! He's pretty good and he is from here!" But instead, they sat on their hands, watched him stay at Western 1 more year and then he's on one of the best defenses in the country in 2023. Am I too mean to the Boilers and Hoosiers for their continued failures? I think not but obviously, given your position in the convo, you think I'm being too harsh/ unrealistic. 

Wait, did he enter the portal in 2021 and return to WMU? 

5 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

As someone who has no allegiance to any fbs team I like it as the powerhouse teams can’t stockpile talents and it’s has made cfb more competitive. 

Can't stockpile talents?  I think its just the opposite. Schools like Texas, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. have the opportunity to further distance themselves as they can pour more money into their NIL pools than the majority of schools in their conferences and especially from the mid-majors.  

Arch Manning made $3.2 million last year as a backup QB for Texas.  That's more $$ than some starting QB's in the NFL.  Majority of schools cannot use that type of money to incentivize recruits to come their way.

image.png.ccafc68537d0ad83da9c21fe268c8fcf.png