Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Harrison & McCutcheon Joining Sagamore Conference

On 2/18/2024 at 4:06 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

@foxbat @HoopsCoach @superjay

Hypothetical scenario for you. If Conference Indiana ever falls apart as it has been rumored for the past few years, could you see a scenario where the Sagamore grabs the two Terre Haute schools? I know that’s a two hour drive from Lafayette but the overall travel for them would still be shorter per season in a Sagamore with the Terre Haute schools than in the NCC.

Possibly. It would be a tough sell for the Terre Haute schools.  They would be a competitive fit in most sports but the distance to Terre Haute is a significant obstacle to membership in almost any conference.

When it was first announced that Harrison and McCutcheon were out of the NCC, I thought they could fit well in Conference Indiana. Adding those two schools would either save the conference or be the final step to kill it.  Ignoring geography, it would have made some sense.

Southport 2368
Columbus North 2267
Harrison 2169
McCutcheon 1786
Bloomington South 1656
Terre Haute South 1609
Bloomington North 1558
Terre Haute North 1467

I think Southport wants to be in the MIC, and maybe Columbus North goes with them to get in together.  Columbus could join the Hoosier Hills instead if they can be in the same conference as Columbus East.  Not sure what the Bloomington schools do. Maybe try to get into the Mid-State or Hoosier Hills.  The Terre Haute schools would fill in the enrollment gap between the members of the Sagamore if they joined (along with West Lafayette).

Harrison 2169
McCutcheon 1786
Terre Haute South 1609
Terre Haute North 1467
Lebanon 1033
Danville 820
West Lafayette 750
Tri-West 606

8 hours ago, Gipper said:

apparently, you have never been there.

Oh boy, I've been there probably over 100 times, have a few customers there. It's not as bad as other places I seen in IN, but I'll say it is not the nicest either.  

2 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

I think Southport wants to be in the MIC, and maybe Columbus North goes with them to get in together.  Columbus could join the Hoosier Hills instead if they can be in the same conference as Columbus East.  Not sure what the Bloomington schools do. Maybe try to get into the Mid-State or Hoosier Hills. 

Columbus North wouldn’t want to be in the MIC. Based on what I know, Columbus North and Bloomington South would be a package deal. They’ve been in the same conference going way back to the days when they were just Columbus High School and Bloomington High School. They have a lot in common and my understanding is they see the Hoosier Hills Conference as beneath them. The Mid-State Conference would be their preference.

Columbus East and Bloomington North had both tried to get in the Mid-State a few years ago but Perry Meridian was ultimately chosen. Because of this, I’ve heard rumors that Bloomington North would be willing to return to the Hoosier Hills Conference if they feel they need to. They were an HHC member from the fall of 1976 to the spring of 1983.

13 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

Possibly. It would be a tough sell for the Terre Haute schools.  They would be a competitive fit in most sports but the distance to Terre Haute is a significant obstacle to membership in almost any conference.

When it was first announced that Harrison and McCutcheon were out of the NCC, I thought they could fit well in Conference Indiana. Adding those two schools would either save the conference or be the final step to kill it.  Ignoring geography, it would have made some sense.

Southport 2368
Columbus North 2267
Harrison 2169
McCutcheon 1786
Bloomington South 1656
Terre Haute South 1609
Bloomington North 1558
Terre Haute North 1467

I think Southport wants to be in the MIC, and maybe Columbus North goes with them to get in together.  Columbus could join the Hoosier Hills instead if they can be in the same conference as Columbus East.  Not sure what the Bloomington schools do. Maybe try to get into the Mid-State or Hoosier Hills.  The Terre Haute schools would fill in the enrollment gap between the members of the Sagamore if they joined (along with West Lafayette).

Harrison 2169
McCutcheon 1786
Terre Haute South 1609
Terre Haute North 1467
Lebanon 1033
Danville 820
West Lafayette 750
Tri-West 606

Southport was offered a spot in the MIC within the last school year and turned it down.

My guess is Columbus North, Bloom South, Bloom North, Southport....will end up in an "HCC South" conference within 10 years.

Members might include CG, Col North, BS, BN, Southport...

...maybe they pluck a few current HCC/MIC schools

On 2/19/2024 at 6:01 PM, psaboy said:

Oh boy, I've been there probably over 100 times, have a few customers there. It's not as bad as other places I seen in IN, but I'll say it is not the nicest either.  

I was being facetious and go through the Haute often.

• Like 1