Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2023

On 8/7/2023 at 7:15 PM, MHS4Life said:

When Brunson was in Mt.Vernon, I'm pretty sure they were pretty discipline.  Also I thought Reitz was discipline his 1st 2 years but last year was the 1st time his team wasn't discipline.   A lot of new players were on that roster last year.  Interesting to see if they can fix that this season.  If so, they could be scary good.  

They might be.  But I’d be shocked if anybody gets past East Central this year.

12 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

They might be.  But I’d be shocked if anybody gets past East Central this year.

One reason any perceived or actual lack of discipline may not have been apparent the first two years is because Reitz was pretty bad and was never really in a game against a quality opponent where that kind of issue typically rears it's head... Based on what I've heard about the recent incident (and the minimal punishment) leads me to conclude the emphasis on discipline is really nothing more than a social media hashtag... 

• Like 1

But that's what the opposition wants. The only way Reitz is losing until regionals will be due to lack of discipline or maybe injuries. But from what I've heard, save for one sore thumb, the culture and leadership is much improved. I guess that's something you should expect to happen with that many seniors and returning starters though.

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

But that's what the opposition wants. The only way Reitz is losing until regionals will be due to lack of discipline or maybe injuries. But from what I've heard, save for one sore thumb, the culture and leadership is much improved. I guess that's something you should expect to happen with that many seniors and returning starters though.

Those are some pretty strong words in a tough sectional.   Reitz finished last year less than a TD favorite over Memorial and 10 points over Jasper per Sagarin in a closed conference.

Edited by Titan32

8 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Those are some pretty strong words in a tough sectional.   Reitz finished last year less than a TD favorite over Memorial and 10 points over Jasper per Sagarin in a closed conference.

And their weakness was...lack of discipline and a hurt QB. That was the point. All the talent they return + what they have coming up for depth + any transfers they got = very good team. I do expect the conference to be more competitive this season though, so I will say there are a few teams more capable of upsetting them. But there are some that just have huge question marks so it's hard to say.

10 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

And their weakness was...lack of discipline and a hurt QB. That was the point. All the talent they return + what they have coming up for depth + any transfers they got = very good team. I do expect the conference to be more competitive this season though, so I will say there are a few teams more capable of upsetting them. But there are some that just have huge question marks so it's hard to say.

I think I would maybe add over-confidence as a weakness of last year's Panthers. Not having the sophomore QB was not the reason Reitz lost to Boonville. 

I fully expect Reitz to go undefeated in the SIAC this year. MD, Memorial, and Castle probably won't be as strong and North never seems to rise to the expectations. Jasper is somewhat of an unknown (at least to me at this point).

But once that tournament rolls around pretty much anything can happen on any given night...  

3 hours ago, tango said:

One reason any perceived or actual lack of discipline may not have been apparent the first two years is because Reitz was pretty bad and was never really in a game against a quality opponent where that kind of issue typically rears it's head... Based on what I've heard about the recent incident (and the minimal punishment) leads me to conclude the emphasis on discipline is really nothing more than a social media hashtag... 

I don’t know exactly what happened or what the punishment was.

But when I was told about the incident, I responded to the person who told me that Brunson would only slap him on the wrist.

20 minutes ago, tango said:

I think I would maybe add over-confidence as a weakness of last year's Panthers. Not having the sophomore QB was not the reason Reitz lost to Boonville. 

I fully expect Reitz to go undefeated in the SIAC this year. MD, Memorial, and Castle probably won't be as strong and North never seems to rise to the expectations. Jasper is somewhat of an unknown (at least to me at this point).

But once that tournament rolls around pretty much anything can happen on any given night...  

Good points. And yeah, I expect their approach to be much different heading into sectionals this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Improved? Crazy to think just yesterday I had a paid asst football coach at Reitz  tell me there’s no way the suspended player should be on or near the team ever again.
I guess the HC and asst coach may not be on the same page.
Maybe this is just an isolated incident under Brunson . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

Improved? Crazy to think just yesterday I had a paid asst football coach at Reitz  tell me there’s no way the suspended player should be on or near the team ever again.

All this talk about it. What actually happened at Reitz?

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

I just had a feeling that he was the kind of coach who would let something like this slide in the name of winning.

I don’t think he’s the only one who would.  And I doubt he’ll get much pressure from anybody who matters to fully dismiss this player.

Looks like my intuition was correct.

45 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Anger outburst from a player who has had issues with it in the past. Apparently the player is suspended from the team but unknown for exactly how long.

That's putting it somewhat lightly, no? 

Two week suspension starting tomorrow, so he misses the scrimmage (ouch) and then Wk. 1 vs. Harrison. I can tell you that if he played for Goebel or Hurley (among others), his locker would already be empty.  

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Contrary to what many believe, head coaches do not have full control and final decision power over every single thing.

Any HS program where the head coach doesn't have the power to dismiss a player from his team is bound to be poorly run.  And any coach worth his salt would never accept such a job.

I don't believe for a minute that Brunson can't dismiss him.  But I'm not the least bit surprised that he didn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tango said:

I can tell you that if he played for Goebel or Hurley (among others), his locker would already be empty.  

There's certainly no question about that.  It would be the case if he was playing for Herman Byers, Bob Padgett, or John Hart, too -- and, I'd bet, Tony Lewis.

I'm guessing that the explanation will be about not wanting to ruin a young man's life and future football career for one mistake, etc.  But anybody who buys that is a fool.

20 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Any HS program where the head coach doesn't have the power to dismiss a player from his team is bound to be poorly run.  And any coach worth his salt would never accept such a job.

I don't believe for a minute that Brunson can't dismiss him.  But I'm not the least bit surprised that he didn't.

Yep, I don't buy the "HC doesn't have full control or final decision" thing for a second.

Just now, MHSTigerFan said:

There's certainly no question about that.  It would be the case if he was playing for Herman Byers, Bob Padgett, or John Hart, too -- and, I'd bet, Tony Lewis.

I'm guessing that the explanation will be about not wanting to ruin a young man's life and future football career for one mistake, etc.  But anybody who buys that is a fool.

And more recently, Andy Hape. Heck, Herman Byers probably would've whooped his @$$. LOL    

23 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

By the way, some of my tailgating pals were talking about the new start time and if it will effect when the gates open. Have any of you heard when the gates will open at any of the fields? How much earlier will we have to start the 'gating? These are important questions 🤓

LOL. Yes, they are. I understand that gates will open at 5:30. I predict a lot of "nonparent" fans will miss most of the first quarter this season... 

52 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Just throwing this out there for any family of this young man who might be reading here.  There is a very nice three bedroom ranch waiting for you in Fort Branch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Just throwing this out there for any family of this young man who might be reading here.  There is a very nice three bedroom ranch waiting for you in Fort Branch. 

Heh...why would he move?  He's going to miss the Harrison game.  Reitz's JV would probably beat Harrison.