Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC 2024

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

however…let’s hope that by the next roll around that we have seeding lol.  All these teams are bound to face each other in the playoffs and there is no getting  around that.  Would just be better if it was later on for the big games.  Like GS vs HH last year as a semi state game.  Insert any 2 of these teams on their good years and we all want them to be for a championship game. 

With a field this deep (potentially), this might be one of the few Sectionals where not having seeding probably isn't a big deal, unless of course MV draws PCHS. Otherwise I expect all 2d games to be very competitive...

5 hours ago, jets said:

Fun trivia fact for you- outside of Memorial- who is the only other team in this sectional field to be moved up due to SF, and gained enough points to stay up the next classification go around?? 

That's easy..

As much as I would hate to have to play the Raiders on the road, I have heard a lot about a pork chop at the c-stand for many years, so there's always a bright side I guess...

8 hours ago, tango said:

With a field this deep (potentially), this might be one of the few Sectionals where not having seeding probably isn't a big deal, unless of course MV draws PCHS. Otherwise I expect all 2d games to be very competitive...

I think that assumes seeding sectionals…but from the things I’ve read over the last few years (only a handful) coaches seem to be pushing more for a fully seeded tournament/or at least semi state.

coaches want home field advantage.  Maybe I’m off base here but I think if we see seeding we are looking at doing away with sectional draws completely.  North or south and how you did will be all that matters. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think that assumes seeding sectionals…but from the things I’ve read over the last few years (only a handful) coaches seem to be pushing more for a fully seeded tournament/or at least semi state.

coaches want home field advantage.  Maybe I’m off base here but I think if we see seeding we are looking at doing away with sectional draws completely.  North or south and how you did will be all that matters. 

I can’t imagine a fully seeded semi state or regional as long as there is an all-in tournament. (Which isn’t going away.) 

Imagine last year for example. Hey, Princeton, you were 1-8. So for your sectional game you will be on the road against Batesville (or Lawrenceburg). 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I can’t imagine a fully seeded semi state or regional as long as there is an all-in tournament. (Which isn’t going away.) 

Imagine last year for example. Hey, Princeton, you were 1-8. So for your sectional game you will be on the road against Batesville (or Lawrenceburg). 

Agree....will never work with all-in.  Not to sound like a broken record, but why can't we take the first small step of seeding each sectional with 1 and 2 on the opposite sides of the bracket?  Some make the increased blow out games in the first round argument.  Would there really be that many more blowouts if the rest of the draw was totally random?

Or .....seed the whole sectional but instead of a tradition bracket like this:

Why can't we do something more like this to create less blow outs:

Edited by Titan32

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I bet MV and PCHS won't vote for seeding until this Sectional changes...

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think the best we could ever hope for is seeding the top 2 teams in each Sectional, put them on opposite sides, and blind draw the rest. That really makes me no difference either way.

Edited by tango

10 hours ago, tango said:

That's easy..

As much as I would hate to have to play the Raiders on the road, I have heard a lot about a pork chop at the c-stand for many years, so there's always a bright side I guess...

I'm willing to bet most people, outside of our circle -(without looking it up) -given the following list: MD, Heritage Hills, Gibson Southern, and Southridge - would be incorrect. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

I'm willing to bet most people, outside of our circle -(without looking it up) -given the following list: MD, Heritage Hills, Gibson Southern, and Southridge - would be incorrect. 

Probably so. MD and GS both caught some breaks having "success" across two different classification cycles to avoid being bumped up. 

Another interesting tidbit. I know Mem & SR have never played before (at least at varsity level). Are there any other schools that have never played? The ones I think might be a possibility are MD - GS and/or MD - PCHS.    

Mater Dei was 3A for four years circa 2003-2006. I believe that was the one and only time the IHSAA tried to do a four-year enrollment classification.

I think the Wildcats played both Heritage Hills and Gibson Southern a few times during those postseason‘s.

12 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Mater Dei was 3A for four years circa 2003-2006. I believe that was the one and only time the IHSAA tried to do a four-year enrollment classification.

I think the Wildcats played both Heritage Hills and Gibson Southern a few times during those postseason‘s.

It looks like GS played MD in 87-88-90-93-03-04-05 and 06.  GS never won a game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, GS Titan 78 said:

I'm not sure when it was, maybe late 80"s GS played MD in the Sectional.  

87, 88.  Yours truly was the GS fullback or tailback.  We had them in 88 but a last second score did us in.

Edited by Titan32

5 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I just can’t imagine a system than involves the coaches changing the format to seeding that doesn’t say to hell with coddling bad teams.  They are already voting so that they can get home field advantage if their team earns it.  

the idea of worrying about drive times is only a concern amongst fans from my experience.  We talk until we are blue every year about 3 hour drives when every other state has games of like 6+ hours with no care at all for a team who had to have a winning record to get a playoff game….why would the ihsaa care about a 1-8 team going 2.5 hours to a top seeded team that is going to sell 5x as many tickets 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

87, 88.  Yours truly was the GS fullback or tailback.  We had them in 88 but a last second score did us in.

Did GS drop to 2A in late 1980's? Memorial played GS in 1985 as a 3A school. 

Edited by tango

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, tango said:

Did GS drop to 2A in late 1980's? Memorial played GS in 1985 as a 3A school. 

Yes.  The demise of Emge probably contributed.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

And on almancasports.com it shows that MD and PCHS played 8 times from 1970-77, with MD taking all 8 contests. I always forget that Rudy has it all right there at the click of a button...

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

MD was also 3a for the 95 and 96 postseason.  Jasper played them in 95.

17 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Yes.  The demise of Emge probably contributed.

I may be way off on my timeline - but pretty sure Emge didn't shut it doors still around the 94-96 range?? 

Also I was thinking of this last night ...is HH the only school in our sectional field that doesn't have turf??! Can we petition the IHSAA that they not host any sectional games !?!? heheheheheh (I kid of course....sort of) 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jets said:

I may be way off on my timeline - but pretty sure Emge didn't shut it doors still around the 94-96 range?? 

Also I was thinking of this last night ...is HH the only school in our sectional field that doesn't have turf??! Can we petition the IHSAA that they not host any sectional games !?!? heheheheheh (I kid of course....sort of) 

Princeton and Vincennes Lincoln have grass fields too

4 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Princeton and Vincennes Lincoln have grass fields too

Ahh I was not aware of that - I thought both had converted to the 21st century ! 

Are SR and VL the only schools on EASTERN time as well?? (That's honestly how they should determine sectionals...if you are on stupid....er I mean Central time - then you all get grouped together!) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jets said:

Well it existed as a company called Excel for a while which was a huge reduction in workforce.

Edited by Titan32