Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Impeachment inquiry

TheStatGuy

Impeachment Overshadows Obamacare Ruling: https://reason.com/2019/12/19/impeachment-overshadows-obamacare-ruling/

The individual mandate is invalid, says court. While the chattering class was focused mostly on the pageantry in Washington yesterday, some more momentous news (in terms of practical impact) may have been happening further south. On Wednesday, a federal appeals court in New Orleans held that the controversial part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) known as the individual mandate is unconstitutional.

A signature part of Obamacare, the individual mandate requires every American to have health insurance or pay a fine. In a 2–1 ruling issued yesterday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit held that this requirement is not a "constitutional exercise of congressional power."

"If Congress can compel the purchase of health insurance today, it can, for example, micromanage Americans' day-to-day nutrition choices tomorrow," the judges wrote.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said he would lead state prosecutors in asking the Supreme Court to overturn the appeals court ruling.

For now, the panel of appellate judges remanded the case to the U.S. district court in Texas where it originated, so a judge there could "conduct a more searching inquiry" into the viability of other parts of the law. (Volokh Conspiracy bloggers Josh Blackman and Ilya Somin offer more on what the judges wrote and what it means.)

Last year, that court held that the individual mandate was not only unconstitutional but also essential to the functioning of Obamacare overall. Without it, the court said in December 2018, the whole health care law must be invalidated.

• Disdain 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Impeachment Overshadows Obamacare Ruling: https://reason.com/2019/12/19/impeachment-overshadows-obamacare-ruling/

It also overshadowed a pork riddled spending bill. Even Woodward and Bernstein have moved on to the cable news clown show. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/12/five-bad-things-in-the-new-spending-deal/

• Like 1

Who Said This?

“When she (Nancy Pelosi) first got in and was named speaker, I met her. And I’m very impressed by her. I think she’s a very impressive person,I like her a lot.”

“I was surprised that she didn’t do more in terms of Bush and going after Bush,“It was almost — it just seemed like she was going to really look to impeach Bush and get him out of office, which personally I think would’ve been a wonderful thing.”

Interviewer - “Impeaching him?”

“Absolutely. For the war. For the war. Well, he lied. He got us into the war with lies, and I mean, look at the trouble Bill Clinton got into with something that was totally unimportant and they tried to impeach him, which was nonsense. And yet Bush got us into this horrible war with lies. By lying. By saying they had weapons of mass destruction. By saying all sorts of things that turned out not to be true.”

1 hour ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

Nancy is thinking two steps ahead of McConnell and a half marathon ahead of El Blubbery

You said the same about Mueller and that fool was humiliated on national television by congressional republicans.

6 hours ago, Muda69 said:

All Mr. Trump, all the time.   

Seems to be what the mostly liberal media wants.  Guess it gets them ratings, and in turn advertisers.

I've got 5 more episodes of Godfather of Harlem Season 1, 1 1/2 seasons of Vikings, 4 episodes of Killing Eve, the final season of The Man in the High Castle to watch. Maybe it'll all be over by then.

5 hours ago, Howe said:

You said the same about Mueller and that fool was humiliated on national television by congressional republicans.

Your whacky opinion but divorced from reality.

Meuller was a republican hired by republican.  Pretty much white washed all the collusion between Trump and daddy Putin.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I've got 5 more episodes of Godfather of Harlem Season 1, 1 1/2 seasons of Vikings, 4 episodes of Killing Eve, the final season of The Man in the High Castle to watch. Maybe it'll all be over by then.

One can hope.  It appears the Republican side of the uni-party in the Senate is going to stonewall their Democratic brethren over the witness issue during the Senate trial.  Who knows when the actual articles of impeachment will officially be delivered to the Senate,  triggering the trial phase.

• Disdain 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:47 PM, BARRYOSAMA said:

Your whacky opinion but divorced from reality.

Meuller was a republican hired by republican.  Pretty much white washed all the collusion between Trump and daddy Putin.

On 6/9/2019 at 6:24 PM, BARRYOSAMA said:

Exactly....Louie "Goober" Gohmert and Jim "Meathead" Jordan will completely embarrass Mueller.

The only triple digit IQ in the entire Trump collusion scandal is Mueller.

“I said, whatever you do — and we were still in the process of trying to find someone to take my place — I said whatever you do, don’t hire a ‘yes man,’ someone who won’t tell you the truth — don’t do that. Because if you do, I believe you will be impeached,” 

Former White House Chief of Staff - John Kelly

50 minutes ago, BARRYOSAMA said:

My brother knows a guy who's sister is married to a lawyer who knows a dude who once interned at SCOTUS and he said RBG is a communist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1